Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

24-Carrot Gold

For the past few years, I’ve been volunteering as a dog-walker at a local shelter. Sadly, due to a time conflict this semester, I’ve given up that job.  But I feel incomplete if I’m not helping out somewhere.  Therefore, last week, I signed up to volunteer at a nursing home for an hour each week.  It’s not much, but I’m a big believer in the idea that every little bit– and every little person– can make a HUGE difference in this world.

On my first day, I didn’t want to show up empty-handed; I thought I’d bring along a baked-good.    It’s no secret that the elderly loooooooove sweets!  But many have diabetes or another condition that makes eating sugar a no-no.   I remember a giant jar of Sweet-and-Low being a permanent fixture on the kitchen table at my grandparents’ house.  And my grandpa, with his raging sweet-tooth, ate sugar-free Jello every night, grumbling that it was a sorry replacement for the ice cream he once loved.

I don’t think that the nursing-home staff would’ve been too thrilled with me had I brought along these:

Hey, at least they’re healthy sugar cookies.

Hello sugar overload!

But I was hesitant to use Sweet-n-Low or Splenda in my baked-goods, because I don’t trust the stuff; I don’t know if I believe that something with so many chemicals can truly be safe to consume. Instead, I used stevia, and the results were terrific!

In an Easter-y mood, I decided that carrot cake muffins were in order.  Wanting to create my own recipe (I hate following recipes), I basically threw a bunch of yummy-sounding ingredients into a bowl and hoped for the best!  The first “tester” batch didn’t rise very well, but adding more egg replacer fixed that right up.  All the subsequent batches came out of the oven boasting muffins that were plump, moist, and aromatic (made the house smell like Christmas!).

24-Carrot Cake Muffins
(Makes 9 regular muffins or 12 small)

• 180 grams whole wheat pastry flour (others have said plain whole wheat works) (about 1 and 1/2 cups)
  • 100 grams shredded carrot (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 teaspoon Ener-G egg replacer (for one egg) (or use a flax “egg”)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 and 2/3 containers applesauce (the 1/2-cup containers), or about 160 grams
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons liquid (I actually just used water, because I was too lazy, at the moment, to open a new milk LOL)
  • Up to 1/2 cup sugar or around 1/4 cup agave (As stated in the above commentary, I used stevia, which is stronger, so I used less. I used 5, but I’d recommend 8-10 NuNaturals packets.)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder

Optional add-ins: raisins, shredded coconut, walnuts, pineapple tidbits (If you add pineapple, you’ll probably want to decrease the applesauce or liquid a bit.)

1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. Mix dry ingredients, then add the carrot and wet ingredients.
  3. Mix again, until just combined (with muffin batter, it’s important to not overmix).
  4. Bake for about 10-12 minutes (depending on your oven and on how soft you like your muffins.  I’m silly and like mine a little undercooked and gooey!)
  5. Eat up!  Whatever I’m not planning on eating within two days, I like to freeze.  That way the muffins stay fresh.

These muffins tasted delicious!  The nursing-home residents absolutely loved them, and my family, roommate, and I have been devouring the leftovers (I made extra batches and froze them).

Nutrition Information:
By (very!) popular request, I’m editing this post to include nutrition info.
Calories: 60
Protein: 1.5g
Fat: 0g
Double for single lady cakes, which are also double the size.
(Nutrition Info Disclaimer)

How to eat a Muffin:

• Mommy Dearest likes to “ice” her muffins with vegan butter (Smart Balance Light)
  • The roommie tops her muffins with cream cheese (vegans can use Tofutti).
  • I think they taste superb as-is.
  • If you want to be really decadent, frost the muffins with vanilla or cream cheese frosting and call them “cupcakes”!
  • Top the muffins with Cheesecake Mousse!

1. Virginia says:

i have tried baking with stevia in the past but have gotten a …licoriceish? bitter? taste with it. i looked up that this is common if you use too much. i would like to go back to baking with it if i can make things without that aftertaste, i might try your recipe and buy some stevia again!

2. Cody says:

My favorite muffin topping is streusel, baked into the top. So good.

3. Kiersten says:

You are such a kind and caring person Katie. Your stories about volunteering your time to the benefit of others is always so inspiring. If only there were more people like you in the world.

Your muffins sound great, I am sure everyone at the nursing home loved them.

4. Sagan says:

Mmm your muffins look wonderful. That’s so sweet that you’re volunteering at a nursing home! EVERY bit counts and I bet you really brighten their day.

5. Krista says:

You are such a sweetheart to to volunteer your time! I was a candy striper all through high school and loved it! When my life settles down at bit…AKA….when the kids grow up…..I plan to volunteer again!

6. brandi says:

how nice of you to bake muffins for them! what a great idea 🙂

7. Meg says:

Aww, I love your cookies! I always love looking at all the neat stuff you make, and your little insights, it makes me so happy! My Mother and I used to visit nursing homes after we realized how sad life can be there, when my Grandfather was in one, and it really makes you feel great to see them smile. It’s amazing. I hope you enjoy yourself, and I’m sure they’ll enjoy you just as much (and the baked goodies too!)
    Love, Meg

8. Sarah says:

Those look awesome, I bet they were a hit!

9. coco says:

Katie, you’re so considerate and so good heart.. I wish I can help to the community too! i know busy isn’t the reason… just didn’t get enough courage to compromise myself.
    great carrot cake muffin! I’ll definitely try it out!

10. Marianne says:

Good on you for volunteering at a nursing home 🙂 I really need to get back into volunteering for something, other than skating things.

And good call on the carrot cake muffins. I’m pretty sure I’m going to make a fantabulous carrot cake for easter dessert this year 😀

11. scrumptiousvegan says:

ooh. carrot cake! They sound tasty!

12. Awesome! I use powdered Kal stevia. What kind do you use? I’ve found it’s a very fine balance to make it sweet enough without giving it that horrible stevia taste.

13. Sarah says:

Why am I not surprised that you volunteer at a nursing home? Talk about 24-Carrot Gold…you have the biggest heart!

Thank you too for the recipe. I had wondered about baking with Stevia.

Have a great day!

14. Shelby says:

I’m totally making these!!! I’ve been in the mood for carrot cake. How sweet of you to make them…but why should I expect anything else from you, you are like the sweetest girl alive!!!

How much stevia did you use?

15. laci says:

You are a frosting cupackes/cookies queen for sure!
    So sweet of you for helping out at the animal shelter/nursing home! 🙂

16. Eddie G says:

You are too sweet 🙂

17. FoodsThatFit says:

Your baked goods always look so pretty and delicious. You should seriously think about opening a vegan bakery. I would buy your goodies!

Also, can I just tell you how neat it is that you are volunteering at the nursing home. I am a nurse and we take care of so many elderly patients (in the ER) that have no family, no friends, no one..You can just see how lonely they are and it breaks my heart. It may seem like a small gesture to you, but to them it is a HUGE deal. I bet your visits with them brighten their whole day! You are a sweet soul Katie!

18. Maureen says:

That’s so sweet of you. The eldery just love care and attention in any form, so it’s really awesome that you’re giving them your most valuable resource–your time! And of course, I’m sure they loved those delicious muffins.

19. Cute! I’m sure the elderly sweeties really appreciated some yummy sugar-free muffins! They look so good — and I think it is so adorable and quirky and interesting that you like to underbake your muffins so they come out gooey. I wanna try it!

And I’m planning to enter the CCV-box giveway very soon. 🙂

20. Cute! I’m sure the elderly sweeties really appreciated some yummy sugar-free muffins! They look so good — and I think it is so adorable and quirky and interesting that you like to underbake your muffins so they come out gooey. I wanna try it!

And I’m planning to enter the CCV-box giveaway very soon. 🙂