Love Muffins!

Yet another recipe I’ve been promising to post for-ever.  I don’t mean to be a tease; I’m just forgetful (and I have too many posts I want to write!).

christmas-1531

Love Muffins

(Makes 10 small muffins)

· 210 grams (1 3/4cups) whole wheat pastry flour

· 2 tsp baking powder

· 1 ½ tsp Ener-G egg replacer (i.e. for one egg)

· ½ tsp salt

· 4 tsp unsweetened applesauce

· 1 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)

· ½ cup sugar of choice

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 380 degrees F.

2. Combine all the dry ingredients (this can be done ahead of time), then add the wet ingredients right before putting the miture into the oven.  Stir until just combined—don’t overmix.

3. Scoop muffin batter into non-stick (or oiled) muffin cups, and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until they’ve puffed up (I take mine out after about 8 ½ minutes, because I’m strange and like the muffins a bit gooey.)

4. For optimum freshness, freeze all the muffins you aren’t planning to eat within two days.  To reheat, microwave for 20 seconds.

Love Muffin Variations:

These muffins are delicious as-is, but they also act as perfect “blank canvases” to jazz up with one of the following ideas:

1. Powdered Jelly Doughnut Muffins (Add a dollop of jelly to the middle of each muffin when you’re putting the batter into the muffin cups. After baking, dip the warm muffins in powdered sugar.)
  2. Larabar Muffins (add dates and chopped nuts)
  3. Tropical Pina Colada Muffins (Add pineapple tidbits and coconut shavings to the batter)
  4. Mounds Bar Muffins (Mix cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and coconut into the batter)
  5. Raspberry-Marzipan Muffins (add almond extract and raspberries to the batter)
  6. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Muffins (Mix in chocolate chips, and undercook the muffins so they’re gooey like cookie dough!)… If you’re feeling reeeeeaally decadent, you can always eat ’em with Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Oatmeal.  Would that be cookie dough overload?  Is there such a thing?
  7. Elvis Love Muffins (Stir in peanut butter and mashed banana.  “Ice” muffins with more peanut butter.)

And then, of course, there are all the usual suspects: Lemon Poppyseed, Banana Nut Bread, Cinnamon-Raisin, Blueberry, Apple-Raisin-Spice, Pumpkin… The Love Muffins are so versatile!!!

Can you help me?

I’m planning on bringing some Love Muffins to the nursing home where I volunteer.

But there are so many variations that I don’t know which to choose! Which one of my variations sounds most appealing? Or do you have a variation idea of your own? I’m definitely open to new-flavor suggestions!!

1. Elyse says:

Those muffins look great! I love that they’re a bouncing off board for so many fabulous flavor combinations. Delicious!

2. Marianne says:

Mmmm, muffins. I think the powdered jelly ones would be awesome. Although, maybe messy for the care home? Probably a good idea to avoid anything too crunchy, since it can be hard on the teeth (which is why we only give my grandma chocolates with soft centres now). The Elvis ones could be fun, if there are any Elvis fans!

3. Meg says:

I’d totally go with the Elvis Love Muffins 😉

Cause young and old, who doesn’t ADORE Elvis?! And bananas + peanut butter, of course. Always a winner.

I think it’s an amazing idea to bring them to the nursing home. You could ask the people there what their favorite desserts are, then make them using ideas from that approach :)

I’m sure any kind you make they will absolutely love!

Have an awesome night!

Love, Meg

4. the elvis fo sho!!! delish. you could even add some dark cacoa powder to some of that for extra goodness.

I need to try a tofu scramble!!

5. All of the muffin variations sound great, but I’d go with either the Elvis of Pina Colada variations to bring to the nursing home. It’s so sweet of you to not only volunteer, but bring food!

6. Vegyogini says:

How about peach or strawberry love muffins using frozen or fresh fruit?

7. Kiersten says:

I’d go with the jelly doughnut muffins. They all sound great though!

8. runsarah says:

Love those muffins – the Mounds bar ones sound great, especially since some people may have peanut allergies!

9. coco says:

chocolate chip would be my favorite! :)

10. Erin says:

Oh, these sound like a great basic muffin. I love muffins that aren’t too sweet, like these sound.
    I’m definitely loving the Elvis idea!

11. Ricki says:

While it’s not my own personal favorite, Lemon Poppyseed seem to be one of the most popular flavors. . . but they all sound good to me!

12. kirsten says:

chocolate chip cookie dough ! yummm !!

13. shepidemic says:

I wish I could eat the kind of well-balanced meals that you do! I’m always on such a rush throughout the day though, and never seem to pay enough attention to when I’ll be hungry next…maybe in my next life.

Anyway, I think raspberry-marzipan would be great for the nursing home. At least, my grandmother loves marzipan, ha, and it’s like an old school combination that might be a popular hit among that crowd.

good luck!

14. Natalie says:

The Powdered Jelly Doughnut and Raspberry Marzipan sound so interesting! More emphasis on the doughnut version 😛 Those folks will totally appreciate them. Although Ive encountered one too many older people giving me lip service about being meat free. *sigh, it’s really hurtful especially when they tell you it’s rude to turn down the food they prepared.

15. Christina says:

Raspberry Marzipan sounds delish!

16. Regi says:

How’s about German chocolate? My friend Jenn and I were talking about German chocolate sorbet today!

17. raspberryrunner says:

i love the under-baked cookie dough muffin idea!!! slightly under cooked baked goods = my favorite! but for the nursing home, i bet they would go crazy over the elvis ones :)

18. broccolihut says:

Ooh–adding this post to my “rewards after finals” pile.

19. Oooh, I want to try your recipe template very soon! It sounds so yummy!

As for the help you requested…coconut, almond (or almond butter), & chocolate chip is a flavor combo I’ve been loving recently! Add coffee flava, and then you’ve got the new Mocha Almond Fudge kind of coconut milk ice cream!