Voluminous Oatmeal Trick

Do you ever wish for an overflowing oatmeal bowl?

As opposed to the measly amount you get from one serving of oats? If you answered “yes” to the above, then the Voluminous Oatmeal Trick is for you!

*Ends sales pitch*

voluminous oatmeal

What is the Voluminous Oatmeal Trick?

The idea is to add more than the recommended liquid to the oats, prior to cooking. Then you can either microwave or cook on the stovetop, but stop before all the water is absorbed. Come back the next day (or a few hours later), and all the liquid has been absorbed, leaving you with pillow-soft oats that are double the size of regular oats!

Step One: Measure out one serving of dry oats (40g). I also add 1/4 tsp salt.

voluminous oatmeal trick

Step Two: Add a little over 1 1/2 cups liquid (I add 400g).

oatmeal trick

Step Three: Microwave or cook on the stove, but stop before all the water is absorbed. (I microwave for 4 1/2 minutes, then leave in the closed microwave for 5 more minutes. You might have to watch if for the last minute, and stop and start the microwave, so it doesn’t spill over. It depends on your microwave’s wattage.)

microwave oatmeal

Step Four: Put in the fridge, uncovered. When you return the next day (or a few hours later), the watery mess above will have magically turned into 2 cups-worth of pillowy, voluminous oats! Now, I am strange and like my oatmeal cold (like pudding!). But if you want it hot, you can still re-heat the next day. Re-heat it just until it gets hot, and the volume will stay. Troubleshooting Note: Microwave wattages vary, and therefore if your oats haven’t thickened up by the next day it probably means you need to cook them longer next time.

Try this trick on any of the following:

50+ Healthy Oatmeal Recipes

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Maria says:

Haha, Katie, I would have totally enjoyed that love letter—it’s not too weird for me ;). All those dessert pictures of tofu looks amazing. Mmmm, can’t believe that’s all tofu! Thanks for another fabulous recipe. Hope you have a lovely July 4th weekend!

2. Fave childhood after school snack: graham crackers or cottage cheese with jam.

4th plans: BIG bbq with my mom and stepdad and my sister & her boyfriend. SO MUCH COOKING!

3. elise says:

ok i need to make this.

4. catherine says:

I love cinnamon too. What brand of cinnamon is that? I can’t tell from the linked picture. Thanks!

5. mayapamela says:

That looks genius! When I first read the idea, I though ok tofu blended into cooked oatmeal I’ve heard of that, but this is really original! I’ll definitely be trying it.

6. JB says:

oatmeal pudding?! i can’t wait to make some. anything with the word oatmeal in its name gets my attention. blueberry cheesecake oatmeal sounds particularly wonderful.

my favorite childhood snack was a croissant with melted cheese on top. obviously i wasn’t vegan OR health-conscious as a child. haha. when i got older, my favorite after-school snack was a banana nut muffin and a glass of milk. (also pre-vegan days.) hmmm…now i want to look up a vegan recipe for banana nut muffins. yummmm.

my 4th of july plans are to spend the day at my cousins’ house with family. we’ll probably all just swim/do fireworks/hang out/barbeque (well, i won’t be barbequing, but they will be.) hope you have a fun weekend!

-JB

7. Marianne says:

Looks creamy & delicious. You should still try blending oats with tofu though – uber creamy!

Seeing as we don’t celebrate July 4th, I don’t have plans per se. Well, I am going to a pizza party in the evening, but otherwise, it’s just another weekend.

8. When I was little, I wrote an essay about how going grocery shopping at Sam’s Club and Albertsons were my favorite thing to do because of the free samples! That was my favorite after school snack. I was a little scavenger! hahahaha

9. Oh… and I will driving home all day July 4th :-( I’m going to miss any festivities. BOO! Oh well, I will just have to plan another excuse for a party!

10. *still waiting for help retrieving my blender* 😉 I think I could live off Kozy Shack…

My favorite after-school snack was raw mushrooms and raisins. Yes, they laughed at me :(

11. jrsimon56 says:

I loved saltine cracker sandwiches. Saltines, cheese, salami, cream cheese, apples, all sorts of stuff…relates to my love of contiments and personalizing each bite :)
    My 4th will our final weekend living in the Big Apple. So, hopefully most of the packing will get done today, then tomorrow we’ll be chillin’ in Prospect Park picnicin’ with our best city friends. Have a great 4th and steer clear the patriotic spandex this year! Ha ha!

12. Shelby says:

Favorite afterschool snack would be…oatmeal!

13. Erin says:

This sounds even better than rice pudding to me! I can’t wait to eat it.

14. Megan says:

My favorite childhood snack was goldfish. I loved how they made the cracker into cute smiling fish:)
    My fourth of july plans is to go to the golf course to watch the fire works with my friend visiting from out of state. I am so excited.

15. You just never stop creating new oatmeal creations! Everyone sounds better then the last. I looove rice pudding so I’m going to have to try this one!

16. Ricki says:

Who’da thunk it?? I love oatmeal, love pudding. . . going to try this!

Hope you have a great 4th of July, Katie! :)

17. Katharina says:

Okay.. lol my favorite afternoon snack as a child was.. lettuce or carrots with ranch dressing. I’m thinking I must’ve had a strange connection with rabbits or something?

AND your oatmeal ideas make me want to have oatmeal for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and anytime in between!

Have a happy 4th of July girlie!

XO

18. The oatmeal pudding looks sooo good! I’ll have to make it.

My favorite childhood after-school snack was anything with cheese.

19. t says:

I too have fond memories of rice pudding. Definitely my favorite of all puddings.

My fourth will be spent at a wedding. (Who gets married on a holiday?!) Hope yours is a blast!

20. Lauren says:

my fave childhood snack was either carrots and ranch dressing (not a vegan as a child obviously) or a peanut butter sandwich!
    your pudding sounds AMAZING…
    i need to make it soon!! hope you have a great 4th of july!! :)