Obsession: Stir Fry Salads

I’ve written about stir fry salads before, but lately they’ve been such a staple in my diet—due to the extreme summer heat—that I figured they deserved another post.

What is a Stir Fry Salad?

A stir fry salad (“SF Salad” for short) refers to any normally-eaten-hot vegetable dish that one eats cold over salad greens.  It’s an especially-great technique for leftovers, and an easy way to add veggies to one’s diet. For the stir fry salad below, I cooked various veggies (red cabbage lends such a sweet flavor) with garlic and shoyu.  Then I put the stir fry in the fridge to cool.  Next day: added a few cashews, served it over spinach, and called it lunch!

stir fry salad

Above, with a roasted sweet potato, purple plum, and ginger-garlic tempeh strips

Below: an example of leftovers-turned-sf-salad

ffcurrylovemuff

Fall’s Favorite Curry—SF Salad-style, raw walnuts, and a little muffin.

z 546

Do you ever use frozen veggies?  Even though I prefer fresh, I always keep a bag of frozen veg in the freezer for rushed days. The above stir fry salad consists of a bag of frozen veggies sauteed with kale, then served over raw spinach (with mushroom gravy).

1. I have been obsessed with cooked/cooled vegetables on salads for years. I usually use roasted- so good! Ah, I have a bunch of roasted mushrooms and broccoli sitting on my counter cooling off as I type for tonight’s dinner.

Our birthday’s are only 2 days apart- YAY Virgos!

2. Yay for stirfry salads! I love the idea of taking a great stirfry and taking it up a nutritional notch by serving it on a bed of greens. Brilliant!

I love birthdays b/c it always gives me a chance to set some great goals for the upcoming year, and a chance to celebrate with friends and family 🙂

3. carolinebee says:

Love stir fry salads, the best thing for leftovers! I try frozen veggies- but I always end up with a bag full of stems if i buy broccoli- laaame 😀

4. I love tossing leftovers on salad!

5. Lainie says:

I love this! I just posted on my blog asking readers for salad ideas, so this definitely helps! Thanks Katie!

6. glidingcalm says:

Watcha guna do for your bday!?
    Besides make beautiful cupcakeys 😉

I love your copious veggie-loads, and TEMPEH drooooooooooool. i haven’t had tempeh in months!! A SIN! I know!!

LOVE YOU CCV or CCK (though I can’t say that now, haha)!

HAPPY MONDAYYYYYYYYY PRETTY GIRL!!!!

7. elise says:

i agree, frozen is good to have on hand, but fresh is the way to go if you have time. i loveeee leftovers, but rarely have them (the fiance seems to swoop on anything i have leftover – but i guess that goes with the whole “whats mine is yours” territory) 😉

8. Shelby says:

I LOVE stir-fry salads! I love how the lettuce gets all wilty when you use the hot veggies. Yummy.

9. randomlymikey says:

the third one looks tasty right about now. i actually have some stir-fry in the freezer. yay. happy early birthday! i like birthdays because they remind me to be thankful i have made it another year. i have no problem growing older. i embrace it. not so big on partys anymore. i always get all excited, then just end up uncomfortable or let down-lol. i think it kinda loses it’s magic after a while.but i hope yours is fantastic!

10. Maria says:

What am I waiting for–need to make some stir fry salads asap! I do love leftover veggies!

Big YAY for Virgos 😉 I think I told you this before, but I am not looking forward to turning a year older (the kid in me). However, I guess feeling special for one day doesn’t hurt, haha!

11. buffmuffy says:

eee birthdays! i love birthdays. mostly because i like presents… lol. but yeah each year i feel older and older 🙁 lol.
    oh, and the salad looks great. i like having warm stir fry on salads!
    -muffy

12. Good idea! It’s starting to cool off here, but I’m sure there are more hot, hot days ahead. This is a great way to make a new use of leftovers…

13. Oh, and happy early birthday! I love birthdays, and I don’t mind getting older yet. I’ll be 29 this year and I think I’m okay with that. I’m scared of 30 though.

14. Your stif fry’s look really good, especially the purple one. Rarely does one see a plate of pretty purple food that’s not fruit. Leave it to you CCK to make it look so awesome! Happy Early Bday!!!!!!!

15. Jessica says:

I looove this technique, it makes the best salads EVER!! Sometimes I have a hard time keeping leftovers around, but I try 🙂

16. Meredith says:

Yum! Thanks for sharing!

17. Jules says:

Ooh, yummy! Those look delicious, and they’re perfect for the summer heat! I bet a stir fry would taste good hot over a salad too 🙂

18. Abby says:

As I’m reading this, I’m eating a huge spinach salad with raw corn and sauteed tofu, portobellos, red peppers and broccoli! Needless to say, I’m a fan!

19. miss v says:

i love the idea. and i totally keep a bag of frozen veggies around… sometimes it helps to have a backup of produce. no shame in that!

20. Alison says:

I love salad with leftover veggies – especially roasted veggies.
    I like to keep some frozen veggies around. I’ll probably eat a lot in the winter so I can save some money (the farmer’s market has such cheap veggies in summer)