Too much food?

Sometimes I feel like my blog focuses way too much on food.  I didn’t initially start it to be a “food” blog per se; the food blog community found me! But I have so many interests other than food. CCK doesn’t just sit around and eat all day. Some of these other interests:

Arts-n-Crafts, like scrapbooking or making Africards:

Copy of spage (1)

ac

Africards:

I sell the Africards to friends, family members, neighbors, and I also donate them to the local high school’s “Hope for Africa” club, so that we can raise money for The Enough Project, which is working to put a stop to Genocide. (The Africards also represent another interest: charity work/ helping others.)

A few years ago, I read an incredible book called “What is the What.” In high school, I’d learned about the Holocaust and other such atrocities that took place in the past… but for some reason, no one ever mentioned to me that disgusting acts like these are still taking place today. After reading the book (which talks about Genocide in The Sudan), I immediately knew I had to do something. I’m selling the cards for $5 (or a higher donation), which I know hardly helps in the grand scheme of things. But I am a big believer that every little thing you can do is better than nothing. The little things do add up.

Perhaps I need to write another post solely on Africards! For now, I’ll get back to the focus of this post: my non-food interests.

Copy of Copy of Copy of cake

Decorating cake or cupcakes, like my sister’s Pink Princess Cake.

Or decorating anything, really– notebooks, tee shirts, even the furniture I took with me to college!

rambo

Being around animals, and My Veganism.

z 579

Nail art and crazy nail designs like my Watermelon Manicure.

Once, I did a candy-corn manicure too. Yes, I know candy corn isn’t vegan. Good thing I don’t bite my nails!

ob

Learning about current events and history.

magazine

cc1

Photoshopping, running, dancing, tennis, soccer (basically just being active in general), sports (go Stars!), parties (especially theme parties), music, friends (and boys!!), grammar, linguistics, language, travel… See, there’s way more to my life than food.

What about you?

What are your other interests aside from food?

1. Ashley says:

I try to post about a variety of “health related” topics, but find that my readers seem to enjoy it when I slip in bits about my life! I find that my blog gets boring when I post too many pictures of food, so I try to keep those to once a week!

My interests other than food: musical theatre, singing, bellydancing, other forms of dance, yoga, reading, cake decorating (although I haven’t done a lot of that lately!), garage sales, fashion and volunteer work

2. jcd says:

Wow, you are such a multi-faceted woman! You have so many talents.

I’m not a blogger (no time!) but my life is full of things besides food: taking ballet lessons, teaching Brownies, Girl Guides!, keeping active (jogging, gym, ballet, hockey, swimming), sewing (everything from reusable bulk bin bags to wedding dresses and ballet costumes), travelling the world, and spending lots of time with my husband and two cats.

But I do spend lots of time cooking and eating too – I love baking and cooking so much!

3. Caroline says:

Katie, you are so talented! At first, I kept reading your blog because you are a super-active runner like I am, so I am totally in support of more posts about your running passion! You are also as creative an artist as a cook…I’d love to see how you decorate cakes, nails, and scrapbook pages.

Long comment made short…Go for it!!!

4. i loove reading about other things other than food–it makes blogs so much more personalized! I especially love seeing your scrapbooking. it’s such a great way to look back on special memories…i may have to start some of my own when i can find the time! :)

5. Lainie says:

I would love to read some more posts about veganism! I don’t know much about it but feel very intruiged by it all…

I would also love to read more about your cake decorating! What a fun topic!

6. Gena says:

Nice initiative, Katie! It’s great to get out of the food mindset while blogging and discuss larger topics and themes :)

7. Ricki says:

Love all the other interests, Katie! You are SO artistically talented, really. :)

Since I started my blog as a food blog, I do post mostly about that. But of course I cover the other two parts of the blog’s title, diet and dogs. I think my two Girls are a big part of my blog. 😉

Just remember that this is YOUR blog, and you can write about whatever you want!

8. randomlymikey says:

great post katie! as you may have noticed my blog is extremely random :) but yeah, i do feel pressure to add food because a lot of the readers are food bloggers. but if i don’t have any food pix or don’t feel like writing about food. i’ll still blog. because i enjoy sharing my life with others. one of my main hobbies right now is making masks. and i have had some people ask about buying them so that may be in the future. and i love that you give to charity, i would love to do the same with my masks. other things that excite me: current events, cultures, active lifestyles, cooking, reading, movies,music………

9. Katie= great idea to mix it up. It’s fun to see the “other” interests people have!

My blog is so brand-spankin’ new that I can’t even say that I have a theme. I have not taken photos of meals, just a random thing that strikes my fancy. And I include totally weird crazy things like demolishing a kitchen which really has nothing to do with food or fitness (except being drenched and exhausted!!) So I’m with you on the variety :-) Go CCV!

10. ~Jessica~ says:

Good for you! I’m so glad that you’re finding your blogging ‘voice’ outside of the perceived expectations of the general community.

Personally, my blog goes all over the place as I suffer from seriously scattered thoughts…I don’t generally consider a topic very far in advanced of posting and rarely address an issue because I believe I ‘should’. Then again, that’s just part of me ‘like me or lump me and take me as I am’ attitude to life in general…I’ve made myself sound quite bitchy there! I am a nice person really, honest ; )

Personally, I’m particularly looking forward to your posts on non-food related veganism and fitness, but I’d read anything you posted just because you wrote it: it’s the style and presentation that really get people interested, plus the fact that you’re such an engaging person and a faboulous writer : )

11. Leah says:

I think it would be great to blog about other things! Sometimes when I’m reading food blogs, I think that it really seems like we are all thinking about food 24/7 and there is so much more to life than that! I would love to hear about all of the different things you do, as well as what you eat and bake of course!

12. Kristie says:

First – I don’t know how I managed to forget to say Happy Birthday. Biggest fail of life.
    SO.
    HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY x1000000000!

But back on topic to the topic about other topics… you know what I mean… hopefully. Or maybe not. Hahah. But YES, I think expanding your blog to include all of the other fun stuff in your life is a grand idea. I want to see way more of all of the fun crafty creative things you do, I love em! And you of course. Bring on all the fun stuff! :)

13. This is a great idea and I’ll be happy to read about your various interests other than yummy vegan food.

I do feel pressure to keep my blog just about food…but that is why I started mine so it’s not too bad. Professionally and as I work on my PhD I get to write about my other interests all the time, so I never feel like I don’t get to express myself.

My other interests are animal rights, women’s rights, socialism and anarchism, atheism, development and humanitarian aid, anti globalization, animal psychology, traveling, voluntary simplicity, and fitness fitness fitness!

14. I can’t wait to learn more about you 😀 My blog was NEVER intended to be a food blog, but kind of transitioned… I was thinking about it today and wondering if it was ‘okay’ to talk as openly as I do and share as much as I do that ISN’T food related. I figure, it’s my blog…I’ll do what i want :)

15. buffmuffy says:

lol you are awesome girly. i seriously wish i knew you IRL bc i would love being your RL friend!
    I love crafts. I wish i had more time.
    I love gardening. Again. need more time.
    I love working on my car. That often requires money though (i like upgrading my exhaust, not so much the fixing part if a gasket blows or something) and having the satisfaction of saying “yes i did all the work myself” when people [guys] ask… lol.
    I love being outdoors, walking, running, hiking…you name it.
    I love baking! food related but whatever!
    I am an old lady at heart… crocheting, crafts, cooking, kitchen supplies, school supplies… it all excites me. LOL.
    Okay… yeah. I’ll stop now 😉
    -muffy

16. Brandi says:

other interests:
    shopping
    football
    music
    reading
    running
    yoga

i do post about these things sometimes, too, which is fun. I don’t mind mostly posting about food because it IS one of my favorite interests and passions :)

17. Jessica says:

I think you should feel free to blog about whatever you want! I recently modified my blog to include my #1 love…college football! I got tired of only talking about food and needed the change.

Other interests: running/working out, scrapbooking (I’m probably not as good as you, lol), photography, reading, and music

18. Melinda says:

I think that’s why I called mine blog food, nutrition, travel and more, so that I am not tied to one thing or feel obligated to post on one thing. I am a dietitian, food is a part of my life, so is nutrition, but so are a lot of other things. Good call. I love variety. I think sometimes we get too focused on one thing (like if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it mindset), but sometimes it is good to step back, regroup your thoughts and redirect your energy. I think its healthy to change things up every once in awhile.

19. lora says:

you can totally use this blog in whatever way you want :) food or non food topics are always okay in my mind! I feel some pressure, but I tend to just write about what I feel like posting (lately its been weekend recaps of crazy nights) However, Id love to include some poetry in the blog, but I feel many wouldnt “get” it LOL

do whatever your lil heart desires babycakes!

xoxo
    lo

20. star says:

Hey Katie! I dont often comment here but I always read and I absolutely LOVE your blog! I love your writing style, your artistic posts, presentation, jokes and… you! I will read anything and everything you post! Im glad you are venturing out and making the decision to post about whatever you want to…it is your blog after all!
    Take Care x