The Pumpkin Farm

Browsing through my recipes, one can see that I love pumpkin!

From Pumpkin Pie Mousse to Pumpkin Pie Stir Fries, it’s safe to say this girl harbors a healthy appreciation for all things winter squash (and I know I’m not the only one!!).

zpatch

Oh yes, my blog is definitely chock-full of Pumpkin Recipes.

So I was quite excited for my friends’ and my annual trip down to the local Pumpkin Farm. Can you imagine a more heavenly place for a pumpkin lover?

zp2

zp3

Look at all these pumpkins! I could do so much with you:

zp4

Three cheers for pumpkins. What’s your favorite type of pumpkin?  And what’s your favorite thing to do with it?  My favorite is kabocha squash.

Useless trivia: Kabocha is a Japanese word, and it simply means pumpkin.  In the 1500s, the Portuguese introduced pumpkin, which they called Cambodia, to Japanese sailors.  The Japanese heard the word as kabocha, and thus Kabocha Squash came to be.

1. jcd says:

I love roasted acorn squash – simply cut in half, drizzled with a little oil, salt, and pepper, coverred wigh coil, and baked. Mmmm… so simple but so yummy.

Next up would be butternut squash – cubed and roasted with a little maple syrup.

Who am I kidding, I love all winter squash. Pumpkin and I are best buddies. I’m making pumpkin pie tonight!

2. Jessica says:

I love butternut squash the best! I am going to browse through all of your pumpkin recipes now. :)

3. I love to eat my stir=fries with chopsticks too. Recently when we remodeled the kitch and ‘lost’ the forks, I became more skilled with the choppies as that was all I could find! :-)

Wonder if kabocha could make good fries?

4. Abby says:

Looks like you had a great time at the pumpkin patch as well, Katie!! My fav is butternut roasted. YUM.

Great idea with the pumpkin stir fry.. it looks really good. Anything with kale, in my book, is the best :) :)

5. *Andrea* says:

aw what a cutie you are at the pumpkin patch :) i haven’t had a chance to go this year yet ahhh. i adore all your pumpkin recipes!

interesting trivia! i had nooo idea. i still haven’t tried kabocha but once i get off my school’s meal plan and go home for winter break i am on a mission to cook it

6. Jessica says:

Right now, I think the sweet dumpling is my fav but I absolutely love butternut too. It’s so hard to choose!! I tried “golden nugget” squash over the weekend and wasn’t too impressed.

7. Janna says:

So jealous!

I also love kabocha. It is so delicious.

But I am a big pumpkin fan as well.

Pumpkin pie, pumpkin oats, pumpkin scones… pumkin brownies!

Winter squash = awesome.

8. Emily says:

Looks like the pumpkin farm was a lot of fun! You look so cute!!

You know I’m a huge pumpkin fan, too, Katie! I’m thinking your pumpkin stir-fry looks like a good dinner option. :-)

9. Shelby says:

Aw, I love the pictures girl! I’ve never actually been to a pumpkin patch! *gasp*

I do love me some pumpkin though!

10. I think plain old pumpkin might be my favorite pumpkin! But then again, I don’t have that much experience with other types. Ahhh but pumpkin….bake with it, cook with it, eat it in big spoonfuls….speaking of pumpkin spoonfuls I have to make that pumpkin pie in a bowl!

11. Cool, thanks for the explanation of “kabocha”‘s origin. I only made that connection when I was teaching English in Japan. I was using Japanese-made flashcards and was totally confused when I saw this round green thing on the “pumpkin” flashcard, but rolled with it since the kids seemed to understand. Only years later do I understand too!

12. Pumpkin pancakes are my newest obsesión :)

Your pump pics are too freaking cute

13. Mama Pea says:

AND…another name for the kabocha is a SWEET MAMA! Love it!

14. Christine says:

I love pumpkin and all other winter squashes, spaghetti and acorn are my favorites currently. I’m thinking of making another trip to our local pumpkin patch before the season is over for the cheap squash. Great post.

15. Jenny says:

girl you are raking the dudes in ;)! you little chocolate covered heartthrob! yay pumpkins… my favorite autumnal treat! especially in oats… oh goodness, ’tis delightful.

thanks for some more pumpkin ideas — I just ran out of my last can of libby’s.. gotta stock up!

happy day honeybear! xo

16. Eliza says:

ahh love the photos you are too cute! :) and love pumpkin picking…we were planning on going soon! there are lots of orchards here in NY. such fun! and pumpkin = love! love it too much.

xx
    Eliza

17. Vegyogini says:

I love squash and, even though it’s been in the mid-80s and 90s here in LA, I’ve been roasting and eating squash like crazy!

You’re a lucky CCV to have amazing friends w/ whom to enjoy the pumpkin patch. Looks like you had a blast!

18. glidingcalm says:

haha you are so cute, CCK!

19. hannah says:

This is related to a previous post– I just discovered the Candle Cafe cookbook includes the recipe for their ginger-miso stir fry. I just made it and it was delicious! Thought you might be interested, because I remember you like that dish.

20. Jenna says:

You are so incredibly tiny! Can I put you in my pocket and take you home? And then you can cook for me too!

You’re so adorable CCV :)