Banana Hammocks

znyc 441

Brought to you by Princess Consuela, herself.

(Yes, another Friends reference. Seems I may have an obsession that is only rivaled by my fudge baby obsession…)

princess consuela

Mike: Do you even know what a ‘banana hammock’ is?
Phoebe: It’s a funny word!
Mike: It’s a Speedo.

Okay, so if you weren’t a Friends-watcher, you’ll have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about. Just ignore the above and scroll down.

Today’s post centers around one of my recent favorite snacks: It’s not a creative, CCK-invented recipe (i.e. I’m sure you’ve all seen stuffed bananas before). But the silly name just makes it so much more fun to eat.

banana hammocks

Banana Hammocks

• 1 banana, peeled
  • Nut butter of choice
  • Fun toppings: dried fruits, nuts, coconut, mesquite powder, maca, etc.
  • Chocolate! (nibs, shavings, chips, syrup, crumbled fudge babies, cocoa…)

It’s pretty simple to make, but here are directions *just in case*: Slice the banana down the middle and spread both sides with the nut butter.  Go to town with the toppings. Smush together. See: fool-proof!

znyc 442

Wouldn’t you agree that the above version is much more delicious-looking than Sacha Baron Cohen’s banana hammock?

borat

If you don’t agree, please keep it to yourself!

Question of the Day:

What in the name of Sam Hill were Sacha Baron Cohen and John Mayer thinking to wear such a garment in public?  Where are their stylists???

What ingredients would you put in your ideal banana hammock?

Tags: ,

1. Steph says:

I love that Friend’s episode. Wasn’t Mike’s name ‘Crap Box’ or something like that? haha. For the record, SBC’s banana hammock doesn’t even compare to yours!

1. Terri says:

I just watched it, again today! It is ‘Crap Bag’! LOL

2. Pam says:

Those looks REALLY good….the banana hammocks…NOT Sasha…lol!

U R SEW FUNNY GURL!….thanks for that!

Enjoy!

3. Jessica says:

Yum yum! My ideal toppings would be plain PB, cocoa nibs, mini-chocolate chips, and coconut.

4. Jo says:

Ok – i know you are vegan so can’t have this but when I was little we used to stuff bananas with mars bars, wrap in tinfoil and bake them in the oven (this then morphed into banana and mars bars toasties!!!) – but I am sure you have something you could substitute for mars bars – I LOVE baked bananas.

ps – it was crap bag

5. When you mentioned banana hammocks earlier this morning, I immediately thought of Phoebe and Crap Bag. I love your Friends references :)

6. Abby says:

This is the perfect snack!!! Great idea.. and of course, what a cute name! lol 😉

BUNDLE UP!! SNOW?!? Its pretty but Im not a fan of shoveling!

7. I love this snack! I’d do nuts, coconut, dried cherries, and chocolate chips. Oh yum.

8. brandi says:

you are too funny :) I LOVE the Friends references. Phoebe is hilarious.

9. Whit says:

ENJOY the snow! I ♥ these banana hammocks. And snow. And Friends. Princess Consuela Banana Hammock was the funniest thing!

10. Morgan says:

Since your post earlier I’ve been thinking about Princess Consuela Banana Hammock!
    That Borat picture made me spit water out!

11. Eliza says:

haha love all your references back to friends, love that show! wish it was still running :/ but YUM those banana hammocks, genius :) love the idea, and it looks delicious :)

xx
    Eliza

12. eaternotarunner says:

That looks so good! I’m not sure I want to be eating anything called a “banana hammock” after that picture of Sasha baron cohen!!!

13. Mona says:

I would put DARK CHOCOLATE DREAMS!(which I bought for the first time last night because you always talk about how great it is !…now i’m obsessed too it’s literally all I can think about)
    a lot of dcd and then maybe some dried goji berries possibly and more chocolate chips! yum.

14. Another fun post of course. Bananas and nut butter and dried fruits (gogi, raisins would be nice), and crunch granola/oats sounds good. Fun post again Katie.

15. This is pretty funny! I immediately thought of that friends episode when I saw the title of your post :)

16. Marina says:

I love banana&pb, and my Love adores it. I’m definitely doing this soon. I would put pb, cranberries and toasted almonds.yummy

17. *Andrea* says:

hahaha loved that episode.. phoebe is so cute with mike :) this recippe looks amazing! like a healthy banana split

18. Chrysta says:

ahhaha I burst out laughing when I read this. Too funny. YOUR banana hammock looks amazing..Goji berries and cocoa nibs are a winning combination! I think I would add some vanilla granola ( for some crunch ) coconut and cocoa nibs. Maybe even do one side peanut butter and one side almond butter. =) Maybe even a version with some toasted pecans and a drizzle of honey! The possibilites are endless!
    Great post!!

19. Mama Pea says:

Oh my stars. You had me until that Borat pic, and now, frankly I don’t even want breakfast.

20. Jenny says:

what? you mean your not into the hairy bod? oh Sasha!

faboosh recipe, princess!