Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Where in the World is Chocolate-Covered Katie?

As a kid, did you ever play Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?  My sister owned at that computer game.  But even she would’ve had a hard time guessing that the following photos are of Texas.

znyc 1041

znyc 1039

Apparently, we got 12.4 inches of snow (a record for us).  That probably sounds like nothing to you northerners; but come on people, this isn’t Boston!

Call me crazy, but I’ve always wanted to run in the snow… just to see what it feels like.

So, complete with Thorlos running socks and no expectations, that’s exactly what I did.

Verdict?  It was fun!!  I wasn’t able to run anywhere near as fast as usual, and speedwork was definitely out of the question, but running through the thick snow (maybe 3-4 inches on the sidewalks) presented just as much of a challenging workout; it was kind of like running through sand.  I’d worried about my feet staying dry, but the Thorlos really did a good job.  And the scenery was amazing.

Immediately upon my return, I fell down into the snow, ipod and all, and made an angel.  Then I just lay there for a couple of minutes, with a huge smile.

znyc 1061

It was so peaceful.  I could’ve stayed longer, but I was getting kinda wet.

(Below, getting up from angel-making.  The abominable snowman CCK!)

znyc 1065

(Like my funny pink hat?  Yes I did indeed run in it.  Comfort over beauty!) Besides, breakfast was calling me, in all its melted-banana-trick glory:

znyc 933

The famous Banana Brulee Oatmeal. :)

(I also added just a few coconut shavings; I don’t really like them… but they were sitting on the counter, and apparently I hadn’t had enough white flakey things for one day!)

1. EE says:

I LOVED THAT SHOW. And one of the members of Rockapella went to our church. 😉

I’m excited to be going to Texas next month — have been a lot of places in the world, but never the Lone Star State!

2. Oh Climate Change- that should be where I am in Canada, but instead we have clear roads and sunshine- enjoy it though- you’ve probably never had a whole lot of it! xo

3. Meg says:

I LOVE THE SNOW! Just not the amount us Marylanders have right now 😉 But glad you’re enjoying it!!

4. Danielle says:

AHHHH I’ve never won anything! *Sending an e-mail*

I actually love running in the snow too. It’s fun & makes you feel like a kid

5. Kristie says:

Hey, 12.4 inches is more than we’ve got here in WI. Very cute pictures of your snow adventures :)

6. Katie says:

Your crazy, Katie! =P Free Chocolate for All! I am pumped! 😀 What girl doesn’t love chocolate? :)

7. Jenny says:

YOU are a little snow angel :) love you, muffin!

8. Cassie says:

i love your pink hat. comfort=beauty :) enjoy the snow while it lasts!!

9. lindsayruns says:

I love the snow, I want to try running in it today :)
    Try toasting the coconut, you might like it better that way? I know I do!

10. Lori says:

I can’t believe you got that much snow! I better not tell my daughter or she will want to go there. She misses the snow from when we lived in Canada. It is just cold in Austin. We had some rain and every now and then it looked like snow or a little hail was falling with it.

11. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce says:

you’re so brave, in that snow i’d be hiding under the covers all day. i loved that computer game as a youngin! what a classic :)

12. Jackie says:

I loved Carmen SanDiego!! It was such an awesome show… and the Rockapella Theme song rocked!!

13. homecookedem says:

You are hardcore! I’m amazed you were able to run in the snow. I tried walking in it today and could barely do that!! You are adorable making your snow angel! 😉

14. Nicole says:

How fun Katie! I miss the snow. It is going to be around 75 degrees all week so no snow in our future : ) That oatmeal looks divine!

15. The Brunette says:

That pink hat = comfort AND beauty. You are BRAVE to run in the snow; I’m so clumsy that i slip while walking. In snow boots.

Also, to think I’ve been trying to find a job in Texas next year to be somewhere warm. 12.4 inches just shouldn’t happen there!

16. Barbara says:

Katie~

You kids got all the snow…none for Austin! :(

That’s ok..Austin drivers are nuts:)

Have a great weekend

B

17. Chrysta says:

OMG! So funny, I used to play that game too when I was little. Ha! I totally forgot about it. Did you ever play Oregon Trail too? (I think that is what is was called) Too funny. I cannot believe you got that much snow in TX!! i have got to call my inlays (They live in Austin but are visiting a friend in Abilene now) and see if they got any. Crazy!! Keep warm love! Loving those oats too btw. Have an awesome weekend!

18. Leah says:

wow thats amazing!! i live in louisiana, and we were shocked to get 2 inches of snow yesterday!! I wanted to run in it, but everything was sooo wet and melty that i didn’t want to take the chance…looks like you had a blast though!!

19. leangreendeane says:

Love running in the snow! :) Unless it’s windy, than…it sucks!

20. What a fun idea to run in the snow! Yesterday felt so mild with almost no wind that it would have been the perfect day! So wish I’d thought of that, but I’m glad you enjoyed it! It really is gorgeous when the snow sticks, and I loved getting to see our normally warm world in a snowglobe. :)

Oh and yes, I loved Where in the World. It was the only geography I ever found fun.

21. Samantha says:

I’m in Dallas right now for school (originally from NY) and people are going crazy for the snow here! I love seeing college kids having an epic snowball fight on the main quad and snowmen everywhere :) In NY kids lose that sense of wonder pretty quick cuz snow is nothing new. It makes me nostalgic for the good ol days!

22. Sarah A says:

These pics are lovely! It doesn’t matter where you’re from, 12.4 inches is A LOT. Plus, it looks like wet snow – perfect for snowmen and pelting unsuspecting family members with snowballs : )

23. Jessie says:

I can’t believe you guys got so much snow in Texas. You got more than we did in CT!!

I’ve run in the rain, but never the snow. Never been able to keep my shoes dry!

24. Katie says:

How exciting for you!! Once in a while, snow is really fun. :-)

I also OWNED where in the world is Carmen San Diego when I as little…best computer game ever.

25. We got some snow here in NC last night too. We NEVER get snow! It was really pretty but I’m ready for it to go away already… I used the snow as an excuse NOT to run today :)

26. Sounds like fun!! We got snow too in SC and that’s crazy for us as well. Gotta soak it up while you can!

27. Veggiesmack says:

I played the Carmen Sandiego game on our old DOS computer so much! Remember looking up the clues in that little desk encyclopedia? Man, that was a long time ago . . .

I can’t believe this snow! We’ve done some trudging around in it, but it gets your shoes and clothes so wet . . . I’ve seen a lot of snowmen, and our neighbors across the street built a snow pyramid and sphinx.

The downside to all this snow? There was so much on the roof of the Rahr beer brewery here in Ft. Worth that the roof caved in. I hope that doesn’t mean the end of yummy Rahr beer! :-(

28. Tyler says:

that’s exactly what atlanta looks like right now! it’s crazy! also, i love your pink hat :)

29. Hahaha you crack me up!! I like snow runs once or twice, but then they get old. Ice runs stink!!

Your melted banana trick has changed my life. I don’t eat bananas any other way!!!

30. M says:

I like the pink hat! You look like a model from behind, so tall and lean! (You *obviously* look like a model from the front, but we already knew that.)

31. Brandi says:

Haha. I kept joking I felt like I had been transported to another state too. This is definitely a memory we will talk about for years to come.

32. psychoj1 says:

Beautiful snow!! Props for running the snow!
    <3 jess
    xoxo

33. I used to love trail running in the snow – almost magical and so peaceful.

Katie, I heard a rumor that my Whole Foods is now selling Artisana!!!! Best news I’ve heard all week. :)

Stay warm my friend.

34. CaSaundra says:

Snow is actually a lot of fun, but being we have it for 6 straight months here, it gets old within the first month lol! Looks like you had a ball! Happy Valentines!

35. Wow! That much snow in Texas?! Crazy. Here in Illinois we usually get so much that it gets old after.. well, about a week!
    I found your blog through a blogroll and love it! That oatmeal looks delish.
    I added you to my blogroll, btw!

36. Super Mommie says:

I tried the “melted banana” and it was really good mixed with my oatmeal. I think it even made it sweeter!

37. Jessica says:

We’re getting a white-out here in St. Louis too! I think this is the snowiest year in quite awhile. Kudos on running outside in the blustery weather! I’m a baby and stick to the treadmill unless it’s over 40 degrees.

38. quix says:

I LOVED Carmen Sandiego! And I saw pictures like that from our Dallas office but WOW, that is some crazy snow! You are braver than I. Snow = gym run. But it looks like fun! Your pink hat is adorable… and I don’t really care what I look like when I run either (sez the girl who takes off on long runs looking like she’s going backpacking in the mountains…)

39. Endangered Species Chocolate says:

I a attempting the melted banana trick tomorrow morning. I need to change up my daily bowl of oatmeal. Thanks Chocolate-Covered Katie!

40. Amy says:

Eeee! I love snow running! I did it round Christmas time and it was so enjoyable :)