How To Cook Bulgur

Yesterday, after seeing my meal of the day, a reader asked how to make bulgur pilaf.  So, here’s more than you ever wanted to know about bulgur: Just like hulled barley, bulgur is another one of those perfect grains.  High in fiber and protein, and low in fat and calories, it has more than twice the fiber of even brown rice.

But most importantly, bulgur tastes super-yummy.Tossed with dried fruit and non-dairy milk (or apple juice) for a nutritious breakfast, mixed with spices for a filling side dish, eaten as Middle Eastern tabouli, or used as a stand-in for rice in a fried rice dish (such as in my Bug-a-Boo Bulgur recipe),… no matter what your taste buds crave, you can’t go wrong with this versatile grain.

bpil

Above: tomatoes, sauteed chard, smoked tofu, and “Bug-a-Boo” Bulgur .

But many people shy away from bulgur because they don’t know how to cook the grain.  I used to think that making bulgur was difficult, as I thought it involved pre-soaking the grains and then boiling for a long time, constantly watching to ensure that the contents of the pot didn’t bubble over. Well guess what: You do not need to mess with any of these steps to get perfectly-cooked bulgur!

How to: Perfect Bulgur Pilaf:

1. Measure 1 serving of bulgur (40ish grams)  into a big pyrex-type dish. (I like light bulgur, as opposed to dark.)
  2. Add some salt. (I use 1/4 tsp)
  3. Add about a cup of water
  4. Cook in the microwave for 4 minutes, then leave to sit in the microwave for 15 more minutes.
  5. Either drain off any excess water or don’t drain, but cook for another 2 minutes and let sit for another hour, then put in the fridge (I use the second choice).
  6. Now add whatever you want!  Spices, veggies, raisins… go crazy! I like to add 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp pre-melted sbl, and a little more salt.

znyc 965

bulg

Same meal as yesterday’s, just on a different plate. Hope you enjoyed the bulgur tutorial.

Tags:

1. Jessica says:

Yum, bulgur is good! I like adding tomatoes, lemon juice and italian spices to mine. I’ve never had it for breakfast though…

2. jcd says:

Oh yes, bulgur is amazing! We generally enjoy ours under curry or in a fruit-and-veggie type pilaf. Raisins, carrot, red papper, and apples with cinnamon and ginger is my favourite. Sometimes I even bring dry bulgur to work, add boiling water, let it set, add some mix-ins, and eat it for lunch. Instant GOOD food. As you said, you can do anything with bulgur. (I haven’t tried the pudding version yet… must get on that…)

3. diane says:

I’m kind of confused on the coupon-I added stuff to my card and added the coupon, but I don’t see anything about picking out 3 free samples…am I doing something wrong? haha, thanks!<3

4. lisa says:

Your meals look delicious! I haven’t tried bulgar but definitely should. I need to have some kale soon – haven’t had it for a while.

5. Look at all that color in your second picture! Wow! It looks beautiful!

6. McKella says:

I like to stir-fry bulgur with garlic, chopped almonds, tofu, and veggies, then I add a little soy sauce or Liquid Aminos. I love bulgur because it cooks really fast, so it’s my favorite “convenience” grain. This stir-fry takes about twenty minutes, start to finish.

7. Evan Thomas says:

I was thinking of using the coupon, but I’m totally confused on how the 3 free samples works

8. I recently purchased some bulgar, and I had no idea what to do with it! Totally bookmarking this post.

9. *Andrea* says:

i LOVE it when you post your dinners/meals. i am trying to find more fun ways to eat lots of veggies and you always help me out on this front 😉 that coupon promotion is confusing.

10. caronae says:

I’m a bit afraid of most grains! The only ones I really like are wheat, oats, and quinoa, so I’m afraid to try any of the others 🙁 Unless, of course, they are embedded in a kashi product 🙂

11. Leena says:

that bulgar sounds sooo good! i’ve never tried bulgar before, but it’s something i’ve been meaning to do… i’ll definitely have to try your recipes, the addition of raisins sounds really good too 🙂

12. liz says:

i like bulgur as breakfast, with raisins and nuts and apples in it. and honey, though i have switched over to agave nectar now. i haven’t made breakfast bulgur in forever, your post has me headed to the grocery store!

13. Jessie says:

Where do you get smoked tofu??

I love bulgur mixed with cheese and tomatoes and anchovies – pretty much anything savory.

14. Melissa says:

Oh Katie, this sounds so yummy! Thanks for the great tut! I´ve never had it, but will sure try it now – I think I will love it as a blended breakfast concoction ; )

15. Adam says:

Unfortunately that website charges $40 to ship to Canada… Or else i would totally take advantage of that offer! 🙂 I need to get my butt to Whole Foods this week and try this bulgur!

16. bulgar looks so good- I haven’t made it- obviously a “to do”- any good recipe suggestions?

17. Tiffany says:

they might run out of artisana now! oh no! must take advantage of this NOW! 😛

i’ve never tried bulgar before, but it’s on my list of foods to try now. thanks for the motivation!

18. Stefanie says:

I haven’t tried bulgur but would like to. It would be a nice change from my normal oats for breakfast. Thanks for the cooking instructions. 🙂

19. Katie says:

Def. checking out that free samples offer! 😉 Thanks for the info on bulgur. I have never had it, but am more than willing to try it next time I go to the grocery!

20. Betherann says:

An easier way to make bulgur?!?!? Yaaaay!! I, too, was of the crowd who believed that bulgur-making was a time-consuming stovetop ordeal — until now!! Bulgur for dinner? Maybe…

I really like a savory bulgur, with cinnamon (okay, that’s not savory) and curry or cumin, maybe with some raisins or dates. Something Indian. Yum.