Future Foodies Of America

The new FFA.

One of the best things about my cousins is their adventurous spirits.  While many other children won’t touch a stalk of broccoli with a ten-foot pole, these cute kids jump at every chance to try something unusual.

Something like… Raw Macaroons

mac

Or Banana Hammocks

The boys enjoyed the banana hammocks even more after they learned what a banana hammock actually is. Then they kept running around the house yelling “banana hammock!!”

Boys are easily amused.

And then there was All-Fruit Ice Cream

But the foodie adventures didn’t stop there: After they informed me that they love Whole Foods, we just had to make a trip to the grand opening of the chain’s newest store.

Who needs Toys-R-Us?  A few hours spent at Whole Foods = perfection.

1. jcd says:

You have some awesome cousins!

I like to find random ingredients in the store and then find a recipe that uses them. I still don’t know what to do with the corn tortillas sitting in my freezer or the macadamia nut oil in the cupboard but I’ll find a use for them soon. And then I’ll be off to the store to find something else.

Health food stores are bettter than toy stores, for sure!

2. McKella says:

I love food shopping too! I like to go to little Asian markets and fruit stands and health food stores. I also love to cook! For the life of me, I can’t stick to a recipe because I get really creative, but it almost always turns out delicious.

3. abby says:

Your cousin’s name is Abby? Tell her she has the best name :)

4. Evan Thomas says:

I could just shop and shop and shop when it comes to Whole Foods
    I collect nut butters like cars
    I love finding the good shots when it comes to plating dishes
    Baking? I’m all over that.
    I read ingredients religiously
    I’m just one pure foodie :-)

5. Sarahishealthy says:

Not only COULD I spend hours in Whole Foods, I HAVE done so on numerous occasions!

6. Valerie says:

I think this is the cutest post you’ve ever done, and that’s saying something because they’re all so cute. But I’m a sucker for cute kid photos, even if they’re not mine (Better if they’re not mine. Then I don’t have to listen to them whine and put them to bed hehehe)

7. Mary says:

Oh I could go to three grocery stores in one day and it would be the happiest day in my life. Is that sad?

8. Little Bookworm says:

Love the raw macaroons! :) Yay for Vegan Thursday I’ll be making your Little Vegan Veggie soup. 😀

9. vegangal says:

good thing i’m already vegan, or i’d keep forgetting about vegan thursday! i always forget things. i laughed when you said that wordress was vegan friendly. it’s nice to have them on our side.

10. eatandrun says:

I like reading cookbooks for fun. My friends think I’m crazy for it. They just don’t understand!

11. Inspired says:

I would love to make those macaroons. But I don’t have any coconut butter. Would oil work?

12. I love food stores of all kinds. It’s my favorite kind of shopping…..sad but true. 😉

13. Aimee says:

Love the boys’ reaction to the banana hammocks :).
    That’s priceless!

14. CCV says:

Inspired,
    Check out the macaroon recipe post. I wrote in it that you can definitely sub oil for the butter!! :)
    Hope you like them!!!

15. *Andrea* says:

i love wandering around whole foods and grocery stores. my mom humors me when i go with her but to her, grocery shopping is just an errand that she has to get done and with her busy work schedule she tries to do it quickly.

that’s awesome how your cousins are so willing to try new things and healthy eats! i loveit!

16. i love going to the grocery store. like seriously love it, even regular old krogers. i go probably five times a week

17. ilanalala says:

Ahaha kids are so cute. I don’t know why people say kids don’t like veggies…most kids I know are down to try anything.

I could spend hours wandering around markets – favorite thing to do at home, favorite thing to do when I travel. I also spend hours and hours reading cookbooks – I used to read literature for fun but now I read cookbooks to help stimulate creativity. And of course, photographing food. I don’t do it in front of people, usually, because everyone would think I’m nuts.

18. mollys091 says:

I’m the same way! I could forever grocery shopping – I love it!

19. Justine says:

My boyfriend drove us both 1.5 hours out of town just so that I could experience a Whole Foods. He patiently stayed with me while I grocery shopped for 1.5hours and then he treated me to lunch in their little resto area.
    It wasn’t even a big Whole Foods. The neighborhood walmart of Whole Foods if you will.

I totally understand where you’re coming from.

20. Dan213 says: