The Magic of PMS

Isn’t PMS wonderful?

If you didn’t answer right away with an exuberant “YES!” then read on to learn how you can love PMS … well, one form of PMS, anyway! A few weeks ago, y’all left great suggestions for healthy dessert makeovers. One of your suggestions was so interesting I had to try it out right away: healthy Magic Shell

msh

The first thing I did was look up the ingredients in real Magic Shell. Turns out that the “magic” of Magic Shell is actually coconut oil.  Who knew?! Check it out: Sugar, sunflower oil, coconut oil, cocoa, chocolate, Contains 2% or less of: cocoa processed with alkali, soy lecithin, salt, vanilla, milk

Then I had to decide which ingredients to include in the recreation. Right off the bat, milk was out (Duh! lol).  And I figured the homemade version could do without soy lecithin, sunflower oil, salt, and vanilla as well. (You can still add vanilla if you want; I just didn’t bother.)  So I gathered everything else: coconut oil, cocoa powder, and sweetener. Not very many ingredients, huh? I was skeptical… but it turns out I needn’t have been!  One test of the mixture sent the tastebuds into ecstasy (the legal kind!).

So what about PMS? Well, call me crazy, but that’s what I’ve decided to name the Magic Shell.  PMS: Pseudo Magic Shell, get it? Besides, isn’t chocolate supposedly good for the real PMS?

Pseudo Magic Shell (PMS)

• 1 serving of Chocolate Butter
  • Something to go under the chocolate coating, such as: bananas, ice cream, strawberries, cake (for cake balls), nuts, oatmeal (Magic Shell oatmeal???!!), cookie dough balls, dried fruit, pretzels, fudge babies (especially peanut butter babies!)…

1. For ice cream or frozen fruit (or anything pre-frozen), simply melt the chocolate butter and pour over the confection (or dip).

2. For non-frozen items, melt and pour/dip, then freeze for a few minutes prior to eating.

Question of the Day:

Isn’t PMS wonderful?  Hehe, now that you’ve read this post, your answer’s supposed to be “yes!” P.S. How much do you want to kill every boy who’s ever asked you, “Is it that time of the month?” To all the boys/men reading this: never ask us that question! 😉

Tags: , , , , ,

1. danielle_veg says:

I love how you molded the chocolate bars in waxed paper! Very creative. I was never a fan of Magic Shell, but you may have won me over for PMS! 😉

2. Sarahishealthy says:

Ahhh can’t stop laughing! When boys ask me that, I want to hit them on the head with a tampon! Seriously, by now they should know better!

1. Jade C says:

I love this reply!! It is soooo annoying – especially coming from a boyfriend :/

3. abby says:

oh pms lol! how do you come up with such funny names for all your recipes? so cute! and looks delicious as well. i still need to make your chocolate butter. 🙂

4. Inspired says:

OMG how good do frozen “Cookie Dough Babies” sound covered in your pms chocolate???
    MUST try! 🙂

5. OMG I use to looovee magic shell!! thanks you for this recipe- it’s a must try. and as for PMS, I use to actually get nicer. Weird..and my (now ex) boyfriend would get all PMS-y. We just switched roles for a week haha.

6. haha reading the entire post makes much more sense 🙂 PMS does look good!!
    And yes: those boys who ask SHOULD be slapped!
    I have yet to meet bloggie friends but definitely would love to!

7. Inspired,
    That pretty much sounds like the best thing I’ve ever heard. You can’t go wrong with chocolate AND cookie dough! 🙂

8. well im not sure if id use the phrase “wonderful” to describe it HEHE…. but it definitely gives us an excuse to adore our chocolate a little more! ohhhhh such horrible memories come to my mind in high school, of boys saying “she’s just angry cuz she’s got her ___ ” URrrGGhh! haha

do boys not realize that psm also makes us angry and that they should be careful what they say around us unless they want the claws to come out!

9. Mandiee says:

Hahaha! I love how you used PMS to introduce this creation. Actually, I’ve never even heard of a magic shell! However, maybe I’ll have to try it now that yours sound so tempting. Chocolate is truly a cure-all!

Have a lovely day!
    xox

10. I used to love magic shell so much! Your version of it looks delicious and so much healthier than the store bought version. Next time I buy coconut oil, I will be making this right away!

11. You are so funny with the PMS thing. Giggle!
    I used to love Chocolate Shell. I loved the crunchiness of it. I actually just saw a recipe for this on another site and they only used like 3 ingredients, coconut oil, chocolate and something else.

12. Lindsey says:

I think it’s beyond rude when guys make “that time of the month” remarks. Like they would know ANYTHING about PMS (bad kind)?! It just comes off as kind of an inappropriate sexist stereotype. Plus, I never get “bitchy” before my period, I just get killer cramps. Doesn’t effect how I treat others!

Hooray for you turning PMS into a good thing!

13. vegirl says:

I want to go make a chocolate bar- yum. Actually I did something similar to that when I made chocolate for a peanut butter pie I made for my Dad’s birthday (I’m still salivating- it was a recipe from The Kind Diet!). There was leftover peanut butter chocolate and it was yummy! Actually…. I still have some…..
    hmmm
    Vegirl

14. Kate says:

Wahoo!
    I made PMS bars! And can I just say that you are 100%, no 1000000%, correct when you say it is the BEST chocolate bar you will ever eat. My tongue was thanking me for… well it is STILL thanking me for this! So I had to come thank YOU!
    Thank you thank you! And now I must go to eat some more! 🙂 🙂

15. Katharina says:

Oh my gosh who would’ve thought that coconut oil is the magic ingredient. It makes sense! And yes I agree, PMS is wonderful lol. It’s funny because I don’t get cranky when I’m on my period, but if I’m in a bad mood it’s simply because I’m annoyed hahaha!

XOXO lovely lady!

16. Devyn says:

I thought you were going to say PMS is wonderful because it is an excuse to eat more chocolate! 🙂

1. Devyn,
      LOL! I’ve long given up looking for excuses to eat chocolate. There just aren’t enough excuses in existence for the amount of chocolate I wish to consume 🙂 :).

17. Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear says:

Mmmm.. those bars look very good 🙂

18. Justine says:

Luckily, my boyfriend knows not to ask that question. 🙂
    You are so ridiculously creative with your recipes! Even if you come up with something that doesn’t tempt my taste buds (I am still afraid of tofu) I am always intrigued.

19. Stefanie says:

That just made me want a bowl of “icecream” topped with chocolate.