Easy Homemade Ice Cream Trick

Every chef has a few tricks up her sleeve apron.

One of mine is the Voluminous Oatmeal Trick.

Or the plump-up raisins trick, the melted-banana trick, and now: the “Sir Mix A Lot” ice cream trick. It might seem like making Vita-Mix ice cream is simple. Just throw a bunch of frozen fruit in the blender and go, right? But a lot of y’all have left comments lamenting the fact that your Vita-Mix ice cream attempts have turned out looking and tasting more like ice, slush, or soup. The problem? A lot of the Vita-Mix ice cream recipes I’ve seen call for a truckload of ice.

While this might make the finished product “look” like ice cream, the resulting flavor ends up tasting more like… well, ice, of course! Not exactly something to write home Ben&Jerry’s about. In general, it’s wise to be wary of any Vita-Mix ice cream recipes calling for tons of ice. There are two alternatives to making Vita-Mix ice cream that looks and tastes like the real thing (without all the “bad-for-you” ingredients). One is to use a bunch of frozen fruit, as opposed to ice.

vitamix ice cream

For all of the different flavors, click here: Vitamix Ice Cream Recipes

Vitamix ice cream Trick

• Blend a smoothie (or you can even just mix some flavorings into milk).
  • Pour the liquid into a bowl (or an ice cube tray works really well).
  • Freeze, then remove from the bowl or tray and re-blend in the Vita-Mix (or your food processor or blender)

Two tips for any Vita-Mix ice cream:

1. Use an ice cream scoop (not a spoon) to serve, for a true “ice cream” look.
2. It helps to make at least 2 servings at once. You’ll get a creamier result.

p_thumb2

Above, homemade Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream.

Tags:

1. Valerie says:

My favorite Vita-Mix ice cream is your “Kermit the Frog” ice cream:

It gets my picky daughter to WANT to eat green veggies! 🙂

2. Sarahishealthy says:

I am bookmarking this post and cannot wait to try your re-blend trick! I’m thinking my favorite chocolate soymilk would make a really awesome ice cream! Thanks Katie!

3. Good tricks! Thanks 🙂

I never tried to do “Ice Cream” like that. I’m a big sucker for store bought Ice cream …

4. Beth says:

I don’t have a Vita Mix at all! Sad story. I’ve heard refreezing smoothies after you blend them and then eating them straight from the bowl that way can be delicious.

5. Great tips girl! The vita-mix is the best piece of equipment in our kitchen 😉 It gets used a lot! Ice cream is perfect for this time of the year, which reminds me I need to make some soon 🙂 xoxo

1. Raw&Healthy says:

Yes well I have the Vita-Mix and it is a great piece of equipment in our kitchen. Good tips for making icecream!

6. Veggirl says:

I don’t have a Vita-Mix, but I think this would work with a regular food processor, so I’m excited to try your tips! I especially love the ice cream scoop tip. Why didn’t I think to scoop out my “ice cream” with an ice cream scoop??? Thanks for stating something I should’ve thought of! 🙂

7. Leslie says:

My favorite “ice cream” is your all-fruit ice cream. I’ve made “banana peach” as well as “strawberry banana” and even plain “banana”. It’s so versatile!
    🙂

8. Great tips! I like the idea of using frozen fruit instead of ice. I haven’t tried using my Vita to make ice cream yet but I really want to. I do make a lot of smoothies though 🙂

9. Jess says:

Thanks for a great post!

10. Inspired says:

How do you manage to always come up with such cute, creative names for your recipes and tricks?!?! I thought PMS was the best, but then this one had me smiling all over again. 🙂

1. Inspired,
      At first I was going to call it the “Blend again” trick, but how boring does that sound??? 😉

11. *Andrea* says:

love the melted banana trick!!! i usually put my banana in the microwave (too lazy for the stove) for a minute then put it in my oats to cook in the microwave… i swear it comes out carmelized or something, because it makes the oats so much sweeter! i hate bananas in the raw form (weird i know) unless smothered in nut butter or melted in oats.

12. You do have some tricks up your sleeve! I’ve been lazy and haven’t made my own ice cream in a long time. Not even a smoothie has graced my blender in months, lol. Time to make some PB ice cream!! 🙂

1. Jessica,
      You need a Magic Bullet!! It’s the blender for lazy people (like me). You don’t even need to wash the blender cup; just throw it in the dishwasher 🙂 :). Yay laziness!

13. ruby red says:

While I do not have a VitaMix, I have had the very best results with the following recipe with my ice cream maker at home:

From http://veganicecream.blogspot.com/2006/06/mint-chocolate-chip-ice-cream.html:
    Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

2 c. Silk soy creamer [You could even use the new coconut milk creamer!!!]
    1-1/4 c. soy milk [Feel free to use a little more soy milk and a little less creamer to decrease the fat]
    3/4 c. sugar
    2 T. arrowroot [cornstarch works too]
    1 1/2 t. peppermint extract
    1/2 t. vanilla extract
    a few drops green food coloring (optional)
    3/4 c. chocolate chips
    [Ruby Red HIGHLY suggests adding chopped Newman-O’s, Joe-Joe’s, or 365 sandwich cookies to the mix in the last 5 mins of churning!!!]

Mix ¼ cup of soy milk with the 2 tablespoons of arrowroot and set aside.

Mix the soy creamer, remaining soy milk, and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. When the mixture has just started to boil, take off the heat and immediately stir in the arrowroot slurry. This should immediately cause the liquid to thicken (not a lot, but a noticeable amount; it will be thicker when it cools).

Stir in the peppermint extract, vanilla extract, and food coloring (if desired).

Set the ice cream mixture aside to cool. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Add chocolate chips [AND chopped SANDWICH COOKIES!!] during the last 5 minutes of freezing.

1. Ruby Red,
      How did you know that mint chocolate chip was my FAVORITE ice cream flavor growing up? I have not found a good vegan commercial brand of the flavor, so I’m taking down your recipe. Thanks you so much! 🙂

14. Looks so yummy! I’ve yet to be courageous enough to try and make my own vegan ice cream yet! This looks do-able though!

15. I really want a magic bullet, Katie! I’ve had one on my Amazon wishlist for a looong time but my family doesn’t know how to take a hint. Maybe I should buy myself a gift, hehehe!!

RubyRed, I want you to make that ice cream for me (with Joe Joe’s, of course!) Yum 🙂

1. Jessica,
      Definitely buy yourself the gift!! If you have a BBBeyond near you, you can download a 20%-off coupon, and the thing is only like $50 to begin with. It’ll be the best money you’ve ever spent. I like mine even more than the Vita! (Uh oh, don’t telll Mr. Vita!)

16. Stefanie says:

I need a Vita-Mix now but they are too expensive. Your tips and tricks are great. I have used a couple and they make breakfast taste better. Have a great day. 🙂

17. Meg says:

I’d link to all of YOUR recipes, but I’m sure people know where to find them 😉

I want a Vitamix SO BAD! Happy Thursday Katie 🙂

18. Heather says:

Hey Katie and fellow CCK fans:) check out my post on my blog a few days ago for 3 yummy vegan ice cream trix;) of course they use the vita-mix ….. Plus 2 great creamy shakes are on there this week too:) yay to summer treats!!

19. Mandiee says:

Love the vegan ice cream trick! However, I don’t have a vita-mix. Major sad face. Either way, it’s totally appropriate because I’m planning on making strawberry blueberry softserve oats in just a few minutes. Yumm!

Have a lovely day!