Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

"Banana Butter" me Up

This morning, as I was out running, two words kept floating through my mind. Banana butter banana butter banana butter

So when I arrived home, there was only one thing to do:

Make banana butter.

One track mind.

1. Ilana says:

sometimes, it’s very clear to me that i want oats or fruit or something. other times, i could stand there for hoooursss (ok not stand there but i will contemplate it for a while) trying to figure out what I want to eat. I love those days when you know *exactly* what you want and you can give it to yourself!

Just saying, banana butter sounds like a fantasmic topper for a breakfast sundae. I think I’m making mine today :)

2. Marilou says:

I usually go on a whim in the kitchen, but sometimes, like yesterday, I start imagining a meal in my head (usually on the elliptical), and I NEED to do it. I f anything interfers, I’m really bummed

3. Mmm.. banana butter sounds delicious!
    I usually know specifically what I want to eat or go to the pantry/fridge and grab what I lean towards. I tend to cook that way as well. I pull out ingredients and just let a meal happen. :)

4. Caroline says:

Dear, I almost always crave nut butters. I really have to make that banana butter someday because it does sound like it would be delicious cold–kind of like PB banana ice cream! My cravings are almost always for nut butters or roasted veggies. It’s definitely fun to try and build a new meal around a particular craving.

5. Claire says:

I don’t really tend to get cravings, so when I *do* that’s when I follow them! Sometimes I do get to the point of “I’m hungry but there’s nothing in particular that I want”, although most of the time, I eat because I’m a bit bored. At the moment, that’s happening cos I’m stuck at home for the rest of the week! Still, your website has inspired me to make food! I did the soya oatmeal (with strawberries!) and can’t wait to try the 24 carrot muffins.

Also, I just bought a Magic Bullet (or rather, the UK equivalent which came up on Amazon) and I cannot wait for it to arrive!

1. Claire,
      Oh my gosh, I hope you ADORE your new blender. I think I use mine every single day :).

6. Jennifer - jcd says:

I love food cravings, so long as I have what I crave readily available. It makes it so easy to decide what to make for supper if my belly is screaming chickpea curry or garlic swiss chard at me.

1. JCD,
      Now MY belly is screaming garlic swiss chard. I just found this little hfs with the most gorgeous swiss chard ever. So I might have to listen :).

7. Ack! I need to hug a fruit! I keep forgetting, thanks for the reminder!

And yes, I always crave something…usually it involves peanut butter :)

8. Simone says:

Now I have two words on my brain too: BANANA BUTTER!
    I think I will make mine chocolate banana butter by using pb&co chocolate pb. How good does that sound???

9. erinsloves says:

YAY I just bought tons of bananas for my sugar fun..but Im thinking Banana Butter dessert tonight! Yep definately gonna have to happen! Thanks for the idea! Any other dessert ideas that involve only natural sugar from fruits??

1. erinsloves,
      Fudge babies, of course!!! 😉

But pretty much most of my recipes don’t use sugar:

Hahaha I love chocolate banana butter. I’ve never tried using cocoa, though. I usually just use the DCD peanut butter. One of these days, I’m going to try using coconut butter!!

10. Valerie says:

Oh yes, your banana butter is a STAPLE at our house. We put it on everything, especially vegan ice cream sundaes :).

11. Jo says:

I know exactly what you mean, sometimes I get the strongest cravings and I know EXACTLY what I want! Othertimes – blah… I cannot make up my mind what it is I feel like and its so frustrating.

Am making Banana Butter when I get home later! And do you know what I think will be fab (but I’m sure you’ve already done this!) but a spoon of cocoa…..

(ps am addicted to my homemade Dark chocolate dreams – thanks so much for that!)

12. Jo says:

yes, you can tell I didn’t read the other comments before I submitted mine – sorry simone!

13. Leslie says:

I have that “I don’t know what to eat” feeling a lot. I wish my mind would take some tips from yours and just tell me what it is I want! Because otherwise, I end up eating a ton of food and still never feeling satisfied.

14. katie says:

i will most definately be around!!! :-)

15. Krystina says:

Yes! and I almost always eat what I crave, regardless of what I have to do to get it!

16. Maryann says:

I used to have mad sugar cravings, and those would usually be for specific things…but now that i’ve got my sweet tooth at bay I often just crave water after a run and whatevers in the kitchen when i get back!

17. They sell banana-peanut butter in a jar at a store here, but I was hesitant to try it since I bet it tastes artificial. As I stood there, contemplating, I was hit over the head by my imaginary third hand and thought to myself, “I can totally make this at home.” Thanks for the reminder that we often can create exactly what we crave. :)

1. Sarah,
      Oh I’ve tried that banana butter! I was so excited to find it… but you’re right, it tasted artificial. Luckily, homemade is probably cheaper anyways :).

18. I definitely feel that way sometimes, and then I usually want to eat it over and over again for days.

The other day Sheri from Green and Crunchy said she dreamed about eating sunflower seed yogurt, even though she’d never had it, so the next day she had to make some! Now THAT is devotion to a craving!

19. Gloria says:

I pretty much always know what types of foods I’m craving (veggies, fat, carbs, cold/hot, creamy/crunchy) but then I just can’t decide from that category and I end up tearing up the fridge to figure out exactly what I want!

On a totally unrelated note, I tried coconut butter for the first time last night, drizzled on a slice of chocolate cake……. OH.MY.GOD. I only used maybe a tsp but felt like I was eating the most decadent dessert! And the cake was fat free, low sugar and made with spelt.. usually that combo would taste like cardboard, but the coconut butter is pure magic. Next up: banana butter. Thanks for the inspiration Katie!

1. Gloria,
      Please tell your wallet that I’m sorry! But not your tastebuds 😉 ;).

20. Justine says:

I usually crave specific things and then hop to it in the kitchen. Ive been craving some more culinarily complicated things as of late so they are ‘on the back burner’ (pun intended) for now.

21. Jenny says:

I always have a one-track mind. That’s why I never make a meal plan ahead of time.

22. Nichole says:

Banana butter looks fantastic and I am craving it right now! I think I will make this when I go home and “hug a fruit” :)

23. mapledreams says:

I can NEVER pinpoint what i’m craving…..of course on the odd occasion, i KNOW it’s chocolate i want or seomthing like that but normally i have to think and try to work out what it is i’m craving!
    After this post though…i’m leaning towards devouring a bucket of banana butter xx

24. I love simple ideas like this. Didn’t you say something in an email to me about making banana butter with coconut butter instead of peanut? That sounds like a yummy idea too. I might try that in the morning with my oats. But I don’t have a Magic Bullet so I’ll have to use the big ole’ food processor.

25. Demelza says:

That happened to me just today! I finally got back from Japan,
    so I have been stuffing myself silly with all the fresh fruits and veggies I couldn’t
    afford in Japan. =P
    Anyway, back to today: I had a babysitting job lined up,
    and all I could think about while I was running around two different parks
    and playing and watching a movie with the kid was “chocolate mousse chocolate mousse
    CHOCOLATE MOUUUUUSSE.” So as soon as his sister picked him up
    I darted in to the kitchen and threw together my tofu, dark cocoa, salt, and vanilla
    and whipped it all together. Um, HEAVEN…especially topped with a little whipped cream.
    LOVE when my body can tell exactly what it wants. :]

1. Demelza,
      I think my tummy would ALWAYS happily accept chocolate mousse :).

26. Marianne says:

Ugh, I hate those days when you can’t decide what you want to eat. Usually ends up in little tastes of everything in site, and you never truly feel satisfied.

27. Sharon says:

a meetup there sounds great!! but safety always comes first! especially for a chocolate covered V.I.P 😉 i hate waking up and not knowing what i want for breakfast. sometimes i go to sleep knowing EXACTLY what i want for breakfast. sometimes i make the most interesting combos when im not sure what i want, so i throw in a little bit of everything and end up super happy :)

28. Ohhh can I come to the blogger reunion?? 😀 I love me some banana butter! You’re right, it’s even better cold and after it sits for a while. The pureed banana really sweetens and makes it extra yummy. :)

1. Mary,
      If you DON’T come, we’ll have to reschedule it ;).

29. ecogrrl says:

i get that way with lemonade. when a sunny day hits (especially the first one that tells you ‘it’s summer’) i will walk, bike, swim, whavever, to get to the nearest grocery store. odwalla makes a realllllly good one although i’m a sucker for the organic strawberry lemonade at my grocery store 😉

30. Jess says:

Mmm, banana butter sounds soooo yummy!!

<3 jess

31. I am going to make some banana butter this week! I’ve finally gotten myself a Vitamix (my husband got me one for my birthday!!) I’ve been using it! :) Looks like you’re having a great summer Katie! I’m glad to be back and blogging again! I certainly will be checking in more often! 😀

1. Jessica @ Fit & Clean,
      Ohmigosh, sweetest husband ever :).

32. Rachael says:

Mmm, Angelica Kitchen. I only ate their once, but would consume their muffins for breakfast at least three times a week in college.
    I get distinct, pregnancy-strength cravings for things like limes and other citrus fruits. And ice sometimes – cold foods. Definitely not pregnant…who knows? Once it’s in my mind, that lime better get in my belly post-haste.

1. Rachael,
      Darn it, next time I should get a muffin! My cheesecake wasn’t the best. Oh well; a reason to go back, right? 😉

33. Faith says:

I have very strong cravings about 80% of the time. The worst thing ever is having the craving but not having the ingredients!

34. I have very specific cravings now that I’m nursing my son. Even more than when I was pregnant (didn’t really have cravings then.) Most often, it’s coconut milk ice cream (chocolate!) or spicy things.

I want to enter your contest, but I lost my camera, along with all my pictures! :( Big thumbs down on that

35. i love when i get the one-track mind thing going on! well unless its too specific and i have to quickly run to the store to pick up extra ingredients i dont have, but otherwise it can be fun because u already know what u want. i think its inxonvenient too tho like when ur in a rush or u have to make do with what u do and dont have.

i love ur banana butter recipe since u first posted it. so good to see it back again!! <3

36. jodye says:

Banana butter sounds just amazing right now! I can always go for a creamy treat!

37. Danielle says:

It finally happened: now, my food cravings are mostly healthy! My body seems to repeat, “I want kale, I want kale,” until I eat some! Of course, it also wants chocolate as often as ever!