"Banana Butter" me Up

This morning, as I was out running, two words kept floating through my mind. Banana butter banana butter banana butter

So when I arrived home, there was only one thing to do:

bbutter

Make banana butter.

One track mind.

1. Ilana says:

sometimes, it’s very clear to me that i want oats or fruit or something. other times, i could stand there for hoooursss (ok not stand there but i will contemplate it for a while) trying to figure out what I want to eat. I love those days when you know *exactly* what you want and you can give it to yourself!

Just saying, banana butter sounds like a fantasmic topper for a breakfast sundae. I think I’m making mine today 🙂

2. Marilou says:

I usually go on a whim in the kitchen, but sometimes, like yesterday, I start imagining a meal in my head (usually on the elliptical), and I NEED to do it. I f anything interfers, I’m really bummed

3. Mmm.. banana butter sounds delicious!
    I usually know specifically what I want to eat or go to the pantry/fridge and grab what I lean towards. I tend to cook that way as well. I pull out ingredients and just let a meal happen. 🙂

4. Claire says:

I don’t really tend to get cravings, so when I *do* that’s when I follow them! Sometimes I do get to the point of “I’m hungry but there’s nothing in particular that I want”, although most of the time, I eat because I’m a bit bored. At the moment, that’s happening cos I’m stuck at home for the rest of the week! Still, your website has inspired me to make food! I did the soya oatmeal (with strawberries!) and can’t wait to try the 24 carrot muffins.

Also, I just bought a Magic Bullet (or rather, the UK equivalent which came up on Amazon) and I cannot wait for it to arrive!

1. Claire,
      Oh my gosh, I hope you ADORE your new blender. I think I use mine every single day :).

5. Jennifer - jcd says:

I love food cravings, so long as I have what I crave readily available. It makes it so easy to decide what to make for supper if my belly is screaming chickpea curry or garlic swiss chard at me.

1. JCD,
      Now MY belly is screaming garlic swiss chard. I just found this little hfs with the most gorgeous swiss chard ever. So I might have to listen :).

6. Simone says:

Now I have two words on my brain too: BANANA BUTTER!
    I think I will make mine chocolate banana butter by using pb&co chocolate pb. How good does that sound???

7. Valerie says:

Oh yes, your banana butter is a STAPLE at our house. We put it on everything, especially vegan ice cream sundaes :).

8. Jo says:

I know exactly what you mean, sometimes I get the strongest cravings and I know EXACTLY what I want! Othertimes – blah… I cannot make up my mind what it is I feel like and its so frustrating.

Am making Banana Butter when I get home later! And do you know what I think will be fab (but I’m sure you’ve already done this!) but a spoon of cocoa…..

(ps am addicted to my homemade Dark chocolate dreams – thanks so much for that!)

9. Jo says:

yes, you can tell I didn’t read the other comments before I submitted mine – sorry simone!

10. Leslie says:

I have that “I don’t know what to eat” feeling a lot. I wish my mind would take some tips from yours and just tell me what it is I want! Because otherwise, I end up eating a ton of food and still never feeling satisfied.

11. katie says:

i will most definately be around!!! 🙂

12. Krystina says:

Yes! and I almost always eat what I crave, regardless of what I have to do to get it!

13. Maryann says:

I used to have mad sugar cravings, and those would usually be for specific things…but now that i’ve got my sweet tooth at bay I often just crave water after a run and whatevers in the kitchen when i get back!

14. They sell banana-peanut butter in a jar at a store here, but I was hesitant to try it since I bet it tastes artificial. As I stood there, contemplating, I was hit over the head by my imaginary third hand and thought to myself, “I can totally make this at home.” Thanks for the reminder that we often can create exactly what we crave. 🙂

1. Sarah,
      Oh I’ve tried that banana butter! I was so excited to find it… but you’re right, it tasted artificial. Luckily, homemade is probably cheaper anyways :).

15. I definitely feel that way sometimes, and then I usually want to eat it over and over again for days.

The other day Sheri from Green and Crunchy said she dreamed about eating sunflower seed yogurt, even though she’d never had it, so the next day she had to make some! Now THAT is devotion to a craving!

16. Gloria says:

I pretty much always know what types of foods I’m craving (veggies, fat, carbs, cold/hot, creamy/crunchy) but then I just can’t decide from that category and I end up tearing up the fridge to figure out exactly what I want!

On a totally unrelated note, I tried coconut butter for the first time last night, drizzled on a slice of chocolate cake……. OH.MY.GOD. I only used maybe a tsp but felt like I was eating the most decadent dessert! And the cake was fat free, low sugar and made with spelt.. usually that combo would taste like cardboard, but the coconut butter is pure magic. Next up: banana butter. Thanks for the inspiration Katie!

1. Gloria,
      Please tell your wallet that I’m sorry! But not your tastebuds 😉 ;).

17. Justine says:

I usually crave specific things and then hop to it in the kitchen. Ive been craving some more culinarily complicated things as of late so they are ‘on the back burner’ (pun intended) for now.

🙂

18. Jenny says:

I always have a one-track mind. That’s why I never make a meal plan ahead of time.

19. Nichole says:

Banana butter looks fantastic and I am craving it right now! I think I will make this when I go home and “hug a fruit” 🙂

20. Caroline says:

Dear, I almost always crave nut butters. I really have to make that banana butter someday because it does sound like it would be delicious cold–kind of like PB banana ice cream! My cravings are almost always for nut butters or roasted veggies. It’s definitely fun to try and build a new meal around a particular craving.