Vegan Greek Yogurt: a special guest’s take

I’m away from my computer today, but I have a lovely little guest post for ya!

Vegan Greek Yogurt with Probiotics

You might recall my post on Vegan Greek Yogurt.

I told you that it was a pseudo Greek yogurt because it contained no probiotics. Well, the following lovely lady modified my recipe for some real vegan Greek yogurt:

Hello, chocolate-covered readers! I’m Meg, and I write a blog called the Gluten-Free Ginger (K edit: blog url is no longer active). I am so honored to have a guest spot on Katie’s blog! Since being diagnosed with celiac disease and other food allergies, I’ve played with my diet a lot to find what works for me. I now eat a mostly vegan diet with very little excess sugar.

This is why I love Katie’s recipes

clip_image001

They’re simple, delicious, and most have little or no sugar, like whipped cream in a bowl , a favorite topper for my breakfast porridge.

Lately I’ve been branching out a bit- all the summer fruit has me inspired!

Speaking of vegan whipped cream…

Katie recently posted about Greek yogurt, and the high demand for a vegan substitute. When I began cutting out dairy, greek yogurt was the last holdout for me-even after cheese! I tried goat yogurt too, but no-go. I feel 100% better without dairy, but I definitely still miss the taste , not to mention the convenience of a quick and healthy breakfast, that come from yogurt.

I’ve tried several brands of soy yogurt, and coconut yogurt as well- all were too sweet and not very pleasant, texture-wise, in my opinion. I did find one unsweetened brand that I enjoyed for a while, but, much like the others, it has a very long list of ingredients…which generally translates to not-so tummy friendly.

Well, I’ve been making a lot of Vegan Whipped Cream lately, eating it more or less the way I would yogurt. One day, I got the idea to stir in my daily probiotic capsule. Why not? But then I had an even better idea. If I added some fruit, or something with sugar, would it ferment like yogurt? It was worth a shot. With homemade “Smashberry” Jam

I had some berries that I had boiled, left over from the day before, when I had a serious craving for an english muffin with smashberry jam.I stirred the jam and the contents of one probiotic capsule into the blended tofu and left it in the refrigerator overnight.

clip_image002

The next morning I was amazed to discover that not only had the Vegan Greek Yogurt thickened, but it actually tasted tangy, like yogurt! The tang wasn’t super strong, but I bet if you left it for longer, it might be!

clip_image003

So of course, for breakfast that day I enjoyed a yogurt-y bowl with some gluten free cereal and fruit.

clip_image004

Oh, how I’ve missed yogurt bowls!!

My next plan is to try freezing the yogurt, or putting it in an ice cream maker for some dairy-free (and sugar free) fro-yo. Try it, let me know how it works for you!

1. Wow, genius idea!! I need to buy some probiotic supplements now 😛
    I don’t normally take any, but I do eat a lot of tempeh :)

2. Justine says:

When I was in Montreal, I stumbled upon a Lululemon only to find that they were cloaeddue to a national holiday. We were able to go back the next day either. Better luck to you! :)

3. Kate says:

I have made a few attempts at straining coconut yogurt overnight…pretty close to greek yogurt taste & texture. I’m not vegan, but dairy & I are not friends;) I like dairy…it doesn’t like me!

1. Lisa says:

If you combine vegan yogurt with vegan sour cream it will taste like Greek yogurt. I then add some strawberry preserves and it tastes like Fage yogurt

4. excellent post! adding the probiotic capsule was such a great idea! i too know that i feel 100% better without dairy in my diet, but do miss the taste, consistency and convenience of plain no-fat greek yogurt. Thanks!

5. Stef says:

Hey,
    I’m intrigued. i eat a lot of yoghurt myself and have recently started making my own yoghurt and here is the thing that has me intrigued: The Bacteria (or probiotics) only grow at warm temperatures. So it is kinda weird that they should do that in your fridge???
    I actually have a kit to make my yoghurt. I heat up the milk and then add starter cultures or some of the yoghurt I made and keep the mixture in a styrofoam box (so they stay warm) for about 11 hours, then just plopp it in the fridge and you have yoghurt. if you want a thicker consistency you can just strain it. I’m pretty sure it would also work with vegan milk substitutes or even the Tofu stuff. But that they yoghurt fermented in the fridge seems unlikely to me, maybe the tofu just got harder?

1. Meg says:

I was wondering this myself. It did actually get much thicker and taste tangier, though, so I’m not sure what happened! I am going to experiment with leaving it out in the kitchen to see how that works.

6. VEGirl says:

This is wonderful, thank you!
    VEGirl

7. Great guest post! I drink my homemade kombucha daily and have lots of fermented drinks and foods to ensure I get the healthy bacteria in my diet. I would rather drink/eat these instead of supplements, I am not a huge of fan of supplements unless I absolutely have too 😉

8. Okay, I must try this! I’ve never had dairy Greek yogurt, but I’m fascinated by the idea of it. I’d never even heard of Greek yogurt until after going vegan in 04, and I was always a little sad that I never got to taste it so I would know how to recreate it. Thanks for the idea!

9. Wow vegan greek yogurt! yum!

10. Little Bookworm says:

Great guest post! Lovely photos by Meg. I like mixing fruit, occasionally nuts and chocolate into yoghurt. :)

11. Eimear Rose says:

Great idea, I love the idea of the whipped cream but I try not to eat too much tofu (I think there’s a litle too much antinutrient going on in unfermented soy, but the protein profile is great). Adding probiotic is a great idea, must try this. It would be much richer and thicker and my homemade soy yogurt. Thank you both!

1. Leslie says:

Have you tried Katie’s “Soy-Free” Greek yogurt idea?

Here’s the link:

I’m trying to watch my tofu intake too, so I LOVE this recipe! :)

12. Caroline says:

How creative! I never would have thought about that. I’m fine with dairy right now, but applaud your innovation. We’ll be sure to benefit from seeing what creative things you and Katie come up with now that you have vegan Greek “yogurt.”

I do not actively try to eat probiotics, but I suppose I happen to love all the foods you listed that contain them. I eat yogurt multiple times a week and I LOOOVE super spicy kimchi and tempeh and some sauerkraut. I didn’t even know that kimchi, tempeh, and sauerkraut had probiotics, actually. I guess nature and my taste buds know how to take care of me.

13. Vanilla says:

I tried freezing yogurt before, it works well if you stir it every 20min or so! It works best with thicker yogurt :)
    I don’t know if it works with vegan yogurt though…probably :)

14. Laura says:

What a clever idea! It’s amazing what ya can create if you put your mind to it xx

15. Meg says:

Looks great! Thanks again for having me! :)

16. I love yogurt bowls!!! My favorite mix ins are chopped grapes, strawberries, bananas, blueberries, raisins, every-other-fruit, ten different kinds of cereal, more fruit..it never ends. :) Or at least I *wish* it didnt!

17. Raychel says:

Hey. That smashberry jam looks so good! I was wondering which type of berries you use, in what quantity, and if anything is added to them when you boil them (water, etc)? Thanks :)

1. Hey Raychel,
      If Meg doesn’t see your q here, you can always ask her on her blog: sexyceliac.wordpress.com

18. Faith says:

This is seriously a world-rocking idea…I can’t wait to try it out! How clever of you :)

19. caronae says:

I’m not vegan but would love to try this recipe! I need to get me some silken tofu ASAP. :) And my probiotic/fermented food intake is LOW. I am having trouble with lactose still because I am recovering from a serious GI infection. I have a little kefir and might get some more. But the problem is, I hate most pickled/fermented foods. I need to get those capsules!

Yum. :)

20. Michal says:

What an awesome idea im so trying it out! Great guest post :)