I ate Candy for dinner

Do you know someone who “hates” vegetables?

I’ve always had a sneaky suspicion that people who claim they “don’t like vegetables” simply don’t know how to properly cook them. Honestly, would you like vegetables if your veggie repertoire consisted of canned peas, overcooked broccoli, and ketchup?

But, if given my dinner from last night, I’m betting there’d be quite a few converts to the dark veggie-lover’s side!

NYC2010 1153

Veg 1 is my peppers, cooked using the healthy sauté method.

For this particular batch of peppers, I cooked up a big batch the day before, ensuring lots of leftovers. Plus, anything with garlic seems to get more flavorful as time goes by. I’ve learned the hard way to not let chopped garlic sit in the fridge—even if it’s covered! Suddenly, everything in your fridge will take on the garlic-y flavor. That’s not a bad thing as far as savory foods are concerned… but who wants a chocolate-chip muffin with essence of garlic?? Eep.

sprouts

Delicious veggie #2: Candy! Well, not really, but they’re so sweet and melty that they could be candy.

Roast Veggie “Candy”

• Spices (I use oregano and rosemary)
  • raw veggies (I love brussels sprouts for this recipe)
  • unrefined coconut oil
  • optional, but highly recommended: cinnamon

Roast your veggies, with the first two spices, at 400 degrees (un-preheated) until they’re soft. For my sprouts, it takes around 30-40 minutes. I like to roast ‘em dry and put the coconut oil on right before eating them. But you can coat them in coconut oil first if you’d rather; it’s your call. Also right before eating, sprinkle with the cinnamon.

They’re good warm, but I especially like these veggies straight from the fridge; that way the coconut oil hardens around the sprouts… kinda like a truffle. Candy for dinner! (Be sure to buy unrefined coconut oil. The refined stuff doesn’t have that yummy “coconutty” taste.)

NYC2010 1155

With the red peppers and candy, I also had my favorite-ever pilaf.

Buttery, grain goodness. It was the perfect winter’s-day meal. Never mind that the temperature was in the mid-80s lol. Comfort food is always in season. Oh yeah, as is candy.

So, do you know a veggie-hater?
Or maybe you were a veggie-hater as a kid?

In high school, I had a friend tell me that he could never be a vegan… because the only vegetables he liked were raw onions. He said he ate them like apples. 😕

Tags: , , ,

1. Your question is funny because I was just thinking the other day that based on my aversion to vegetables as a kid, my mother would never believe I’ve gone vegan! Of course I also hated meat, and I could outlast my mother at the dinner table anytime!
    (oh, and, my son in law and grandson eat onions like apples. I don’t get it either)

1. Hahaha my mom had a hard time believing I was really going to give up ice cream! 😉

2. Brussels are my favorite… I’m totally going to have to try your method!!

3. Caitlin says:

Yummy! Oh those look so good. Candy for dinner, I love it! 🙂

4. Sarahishealthy says:

No joke, I knew a girl who would NOT touch a vegetable and yet WAS a vegetarian. She seriously subsided off of macaroni and cheese. But actually, last I heard, she was finally warming up to veggies. Maybe she just got sick of eating only one thing for years and years?

5. Inspired says:

I’ve always loved vegetables, but not always EVERY vegetable. When I was little, I had an aversion to all things green, yet I was the biggest carrot eater you’d ever want to meet. I was just conditioned that “green = gross”. Thanks, preschool ;).

6. eatandrun says:

Mmmm candy for dinner sounds delicious! Especially healthy candy.

7. Anita Ruiz says:

Hehe I just made Brussels sprouts last night for dinner for the first time. They weren’t bad I just need to roast them a little bit longer.

I work for a program that teaches nutrition to kids in PreK-12 grade and we work closely with teachers. A couple of weeks ago I was at a school and a teacher said that her diet consists of things that were creamy and smooth and vegetables are neither.

I believe most people don’t give veggies a chance. And I totally agree they either were cooked wrong, maybe not in a dish that was pleasing to that individual or they have a total mind block. For example I can eat raw red bell pepper all day long but the minute you cook it I won’t go near it….I don’t do well with mushy foods.

I have a personal rule: I must try something at least 3 times to make an accurate decision.

1. Sigh, and she’s supposed to be a role model for kids.

And lol, I am the exact opposite from you! My friend once told me that she loved raw bell peppers, so I tried eating it like an apple… blech! But I could eat a truckload of them cooked!

8. katie says:

your dinner looks so fantastic! i love the peppers action :). if you ever feel like you need a vacation, can you come cook for me? i have lots of chocolate, if that helps any with your decision ;).

9. kristisn says:

I love veggies, but your right you have to cook them the right way. There were many times I overcooked broccoli and didn’t want to eat them for a while after that.
    I’ve been thinking about cooking my veggies in coconut oil, but every time I go to make them I forget about the coconut oil. I’m going to have to remember next time so I can have candy for dinner, too. 🙂

1. Or, if you forget, you can always put it on right before eating! That’s what I like to do :).

10. That’s what I forgot to buy at the Farmer’s Market..brussel sprouts! Wow Katie, those look so yummy! Well done chickadee.

11. Christina says:

Oooh I’m glad you said what you said at the beginning of the post! Whenever people tell me they hate vegetables I always say, “You probably haven’t had them cooked the right way!” I usually offer to make them something after that, lol!

12. sad anon says:

i wish i could eat candy for dinner like you, but sadly my ed makes it so that i can’t even look at fat, let alone eat any. brussel sprouts, sure, but the coconut oil i will have to enjoy only through the photos you post and your experiences with it :(. someday i hope to have such a healthy relationship with food that i can try this coconut oil that everyone always raves about.

1. abby says:

oh anon, this comment makes me so sad, because i could have written it if we flashed back two years ago. please don’t give up! i felt like you, two years ago. i thought i would never, ever be able to enjoy some of the foods my friends ate so happily- peanut butter sandwiches, chocolate chip cookies, muffins that weren’t fat free, spaghetti, chocolate milkshakes (well, mine would be vegan, and i am still not able to eat these yet), and the list goes on. i’m still a work in progress, but today i am proud to say that i have added foods back into my diet that i never would have thought i could. and you know what? i am 100% happy i added them back. try a little at a time. maybe you can only eat a 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil today, but work your way up and be patient with yourself. you didn’t get here overnight, so you can’t fix it overnight.

1. gina says:

I’m working on it too! You’re not alone, girls. Take it one day at a time :). We’ll get there!

13. Angela says:

This is why I read your blog: you have the simplest, yet most delicious recipes! You think of things I never would have thought of. For example, I love sprouts and I love coconut oil and I LOVE cinnamon. But did I ever think to put all three together? Nope. That’s why I love your blog so much!!! 🙂

14. Rachel says:

the only vegetable my younger brother eats would be in the form of V8 fruit juice, if that counts, and ketchup

i would be ALL over your dinner right now, i’ve taken a liking to brussels except i’ve mostly been buying them frozen. do you know if it’s recommended to buy the organic or not?

by the way, i just made a snack i thought you would like! some leftover libby’s pumpkin and left over half of a banana cut up, then microwaved for about 40-something seconds, mushed it up, added cinnamon and almond butter. weird but it worked haha

1. Hmmm… I have no clue! Fortunately (or unfortunately), I don’t really have a choice, though. Don’t think I’ve ever seen organic b sprouts in Texas, even at Whole Foods!

P.S. Your snack sounds DELICIOUS! So many favorite foods all in one place!

15. Namaste Gurl says:

Mmmmh, right on the point, girl! I ALWAYS roast my veggies that way. If it’s not coconut oil, then it’s olive with a bit of sea salt and wah- lah! I hate when people say veggies are gross and boring, they simply haven’t had them cooked and spiced up properly 🙂

Good idea of adding coconut oil at the end, then refrigerating! I usually add it before putting in the oven 🙂

16. I LOVE roasted brussels sprouts and if you cook them right, they do have the most divine texture.

I do think that most people who “hate” vegetables never eat them done right – they’re used to unseasoned, mushy frozen and canned veggies. Ick.

17. Faith says:

I wasn’t a veggie hater, but I was absolutely a salad hater. My mom’s salads always were the same thing: blechy limp iceberg lettuce, whole baby carrots, and a glop of ranch dressing (which I hate to this very day!). No wonder I never really enjoyed salads until I got to college and had a real salad bar in front of me every day!

18. gina says:

I love the veggieliciousness of your meal, Katie :). And I love how I got to make up a word because no existing words would do that plate justice ;).

19. Camille says:

My boyfriend is a veggie hater. I am slowly warming him up to them, but he just doesn’t like the texture. It isn’t an issue with taste, just texture! Weirdo.

20. Anonymous says: