Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

The “Ex-Boyfriend” Cookies

Okay, I’m going to work on a single-lady cinnamon roll… and maybe a blondie or brownie too. But not today. I don’t want to look at another single-lady anything for at least the next few days! Cookie testing tired me out!

Yesterday, you saw the pretty Single-Lady Cookie.
But you didn’t see the half of it! 😕

NYC2010 1520
NYC2010 1522

Before there was a good single-serving Chocolate-Chip Cookie, there were many ugly ones. Consider them the ex-boyfriends of the cookie world. 😉

My first tester cookie came out way too dry. The second puffed up so much it looked more like a muffin than a cookie. The third cookie was absolutely disgusting, thanks to too much baking soda. And the fourth… well, let’s just say I almost gave up completely after that one! By the time lunch rolled around, I was burned out (and I’m not just talking about “burned” in the sense of cookie tester #5)! So I quickly threw together a very non-cookie lunch. (I used the same ribbon from the Single-Lady Cookie photoshoot. Somehow, it just seems too weird to use fake flowers in December.)

candied veggies and bulgur pilaf

Bulgur pilaf, sautéed peppers and onions, and Coconut Candied Veggies with pecans.

After lunch, I caught my dad happily munching on the throw-away cookies. That man will eat anything. I swear, he has no tastebuds!

NYC2010 1538

One time, I gave him a Raw Macaroon, and he said, “Mmm, this is good. Is it lemon?” Um, not exactly, Dad! :-?) After that, he was banned from taste-testing. Often, I’ll bombard my mom and friends with samples, saying, “Here, try this and tell me what you think.” My dad will ask, “Do you want me to taste it?” Nope, not really LOL! It’s so weird, because my own tastebuds are soooo hyper-sensitive. If there’s even a hint of a certain spice in a recipe, I’ll pick up on it.

What about you?
Are your tastebuds super-sensitive? Or will you eat anything?

Don’t forget to enter to win some Fudge Babies… Although, judging by the number of comments on that post, I don’t know if there’s anyone left who hasn’t already entered! 🙂

1. Haha, when I first scrolled through the images without reading, I was thinking, is she making vegan cookie crisp cereal?! 😀

1. I always hated that cereal… because it tasted nothing like cookies LOL!

1. Serena says:

I know -_- Sooo disappointing! All the commercials made it looks like mini cookies in a bowl and how amazing would THAT be?! but the real thing…euuurgh

2. Jennifer JCD says:

You learn more from failure than you do from success. And I made your single lady cookie last night and I can certainly say all those failures were worth it; the end recipe is great!

My tastebuds are in the middle somewhere. I can taste a lot of flavours, but cannot detect which spices are which half the time. But when it comes to salt and sugar, I’m super sensitive and can taste even the smallest bit.

1. Oh I’m so glad! Haha I’m glad I spared you the trouble of tasting so many bad ones ;).

3. I think the cookies look good — and I’d eat them too! Because a cookie that tastes bad is STILL A COOKIE and cookies are awesome 🙂

4. I have pretty sensitive taste buds……if there is even a little bit of a spice or anything that I don’t care for in a dish, I notice it immediately! Of course, I like most things, so that doesn’t happen often! =D

5. Janna says:

Haha that’s so funny about your dad. So cute.

I’m not sure how sensitive my tastebuds are, I would say I can definitely pick up spices, ingredients in a recipe pretty easily. An interesting fact: In one of my psychology classes at school the teacher handed around a small piece of paper to everyone and we had to lick it! If it tasted like nothing you were a “non-taster” which means you didn’t have very sensitive tastebuds and probably enjoyed spicy food because it didn’t effect you as much, if it tasted a little bitter then you were a “taster”, which meant you had average tastebuds and if it tasted very bitter you were a “supertaster” which mean you were very sensitive to the taste of foods – especially bitter veggies and spicy food!

What was I?… I was too scared to lick the paper 🙂

1. Ahhh hahha ewww I think I would’ve been with you.
      (Oh, and at first I thought you meant you all had to lick the same paper!)

2. Alice says:

Hello, Janna!
      I know that it’s weird to ask you this now, two years after you posted the comment, but… was it a special kind of paper? Because I when I read your comment I just had to lick a random paper and I tasted only a paper-y taste that reminded me of the peel of a grape’s peel and a kinda sweet taste which is from the caramel tea it was lying on… OMG, wait! The paper-y taste turned pretty bitter while writing this…. disgusting…
      So… was it a special kind of paper?

6. Sad cookies that taste like cookies are totally eligible for eating! 🙂

7. Movesnmunchies says:

Katie do you know the nutritional stats for your single lady cookie?

1. Hehe, I am too wordy for twitter ;).

It really depends on so many things: what oil/applesauce you use, what flour you use, how many chocolate chips you add, etc. But since it’s single-serving, all you have to do is add up the individual ingredients you use and that’s your answer. No need for division :). (Yay for less math, right?)

8. Brandie says:

LOL, Junior just saw me looking at your post, where ther’s the pic of your dad and he says “Who dat, Mommy?” I said “That’s Katie’s daddy.” and he says “Oh. He a boy Mommy.” LOL… He’s so funny! I get what you mean about the no tastebuds too – I wouldn’t prolly have my dad taste test either – his answer to everything is “that’s good”. Lol. !

1. Brandie says:

Yeah he’s pretty “Awww” 😉 Hey! are you still going to post the Hug a Vegan thingie??

1. LOL yeah! Someday… I promise I will! (And I’ll let you know when it’s up.)

9. Not going to lie, I’ll pretty much eat anything 🙂

10. My taste buds are pretty sensitive but I am not a picky eater – I will try anything (except those things made with meat). I might be picky to some people haha. I can normally pick up on certain spices in recipes that I haven’t made.

11. Haha your dad’s face is hilarious!

I don’t have very sensitive tastebuds, and I like everything, pretty much. There are very few foods I don’t like!

12. I used to be so picky when I was little: I didn’t drink milk, I didn’t eat any vegetables and I didn’t like creamy casseroles or ANYTHING! My diet consisted mostly of boxed mac n cheese and ramen noodles! I wish my mom would have made me healthier things to eat!!

But now that I’ve started making my own food I’ve grown to love veggies and trying new things! I’m not picky at all anymore!

1. LOL me too! I hated hated hated so many veggies. It’s so weird how tastes change :).

13. I won’t eat anything, but I have a hard time picking up on spices after everything is cooked and mixed together:)

14. Marina says:

Hm, I’m not sure, I don’t think I have really sensitive taste buds, but some things I just won’t eat. For me, texture is really important, I don’t like awful textures 😀
    But my boy will eat anything 😀

15. Debbie C. says:

Just have to tell you how much I enjoyed my Single Lady Cookie.I made a walnut and chocolate chunk cookie.OMG so delicious ! Next I am going to try a peanut butter version and after that a oatmeal raisin.I urge all cookie lovers to make a single Lady Cookie.Thanks Katie for all your hard work developing the recipe and please keep those Single Lady dessert recipes coming!

1. Ooh and if you do succeed with a peanut butter version, let me know if you’d ever be interested in doing a guest post about it, since the whole single-lady cookie idea was yours to begin with! 🙂

16. Kelly says:

My taste buds are pretty sensitive, too – but my olfactory sense is even stronger! I often detect ingredients that nobody else notices… especially vinegar, which I find disgusting.

So, about these single lady desserts. Delicious as they look, here’s my concern: Isn’t it a waste of electricity to use the oven to make one muffin or one cookie? It doesn’t seem too environmentally friendly to me. 🙁 I suppose if you could microwave them, that’d cut down on some energy usage… hmm.

1. If I have the oven heated up, I’m usually making more than one thing :). For example, the muffin comes out and in goes a batch of roast veggies. They come out and in goes a spaghetti squash. I try to take advantage of the fact that the oven’s already heated up and get all my baking done at once :).

1. Kelly says:

I should’ve known you wouldn’t be one to waste valuable oven time! 🙂 I do the same thing – and I love it when my roomie makes something and then the oven is ready and preheated right when I need it.

17. Haha, yeah my dad is not so sensitive in the taste/smell dept. Or color for that matter! Loving the single-serve cookie, but you make a good point about making a whole batch and just defrosting one ball of dough at a time! I didn’t think of that until I briefly interned at a restaurant where I had to make QUADRUPLE batches of cookie dough and then portion them into precisely-weighted balls for baking later one. I dont’ miss the restaurant method, but the idea is good. 🙂

18. Blog is the New Black says:

don’t call them ugly! you’ll give them a complex. you need to give them an operation beautiful post-it to make up for it! 😉

1. Oh dear, you’re right. I’ve probably set them up for bad self-esteem for life now, haven’t I? 🙁

19. Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) says:

“That man will eat anything. I swear, he has no tastebuds!”

Most husbands, men, and toddler, and co-workers in an office breakroom (this is the biggest one!!!) will eat just about anything sweet…even if it’s not perfect.

For me, if i am gonna eat something sweet, i want it PERFECT. I may as well enjoy all that decadence in true perfection!!

Random aside, I am maybe (not even for sure yet) thinking about redoing my blog, migrating to WP, but i have said this for years…I love yours and Heabs. Did Zesty do it? I am willing to pay$$ to have it 100% hired out. I dont want to do a thing myself…I know my limitations…any advice, info$, etc, email me if you have time 🙂

1. Sending you a lengthy email lata today!!

20. Kiersten says:

When I mess something up I usually don’t eat it, although it depends on how badly I messed up. If I was in your situation, I wouldn’t have eaten the cookies, but if it’s something like adding a little too much cayenne to something I’d eat it. My fiance will eat absolutely anything, he has the lowest food standards. I find it oddly amusing.