Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Banana Pancakes for One

I’m really getting into this “single-serving” thing!

Chocolate Covered Katie Pancakes

Yesterday, I was treated to breakfast, courtesy of my younger sister.

But to understand how yesterday’s breakfast came into fruition, I must take you back (in my super-cool time machine) to Christmas Day. Seeing how I have so many cupcake recipes on the blog, my sister decided to give me the following gift:

Too cute, right? Check out the expiration date. (She also gave me a copy of Vegan Cupcakes take over the World and a music CD. I already own the cookbook. But hey, who doesn’t like store credit at Barnes’n Noble?)

While I debated what cupcakes to choose, I asked little sister to make me something else: Vegan Banana Pancakes!

banana pancakes

Banana Pancakes for One

• 1/3 cup ww pastry, spelt, white, or Bob’s gf flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 mashed banana, as ripe as possible
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice
  • dash salt

Mix the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, mash the banana and then add the other liquid ingredients. Stir the dry into the wet. Then make your vegan banana pancakes! (Makes 4-5)

Try topping these with syrup or even my recipe for {Healthy} Homemade Nutella.

1. Jennifer JCD says:

Yum, yum, yum!! The card from your sister is the cutest thing ever! And those banana pancakes look super fluffy and yummy!

We usually top our pancakes with fruit, or a sauce made from puréed fruit. Sometimes we’ll add a handful of chocolate chips or blueberries to the batter.

2. Those pancakes look amazing! Love the certificate your sister made for you as well, and the expiration date! :) I love blueberry and banana pancakes. Or just banana ones.

3. VeggieGirl says:

LOOOOVE pancakes!! Favorite topping = warm maple syrup.

4. Those pancakes look sooo good! I’d top them with dark chocolate dreams!!!!!
    I feel the same way about cake….I’d prefer something different…..
    I even had fondue in place of birthday cake for my sweet 16!!!!

1. And you didn’t invite me? 😉

5. chocolate and banana and pb. in/on my pancakes. always. also like to dollop a bit of greek yogurt on top :)

6. Disturbed says:

I absolutely love pancakes-and I am weird and don’t like syrup on mine, and even when I wasn’t a vegan I couldn’t stand butter on mine. I like them slightly uncooked and right off the stove. The best way to eat them, I think, is to throw some pecans in the batter and then make a raspberry or blueberry sauce to poor on them. So good. I could eat pancakes every day. When I lived at home (at boarding high school now) and my parent’s were still together that use to be one of the big things we would do as a family. Me and my dad would cook the pancakes and my brother and mom would usually get a movie going. Good times.

1. Mmmmm I love them undercooked too! People think it’s weird, but we know better, right? 😉

1. Disturbed says:

Exactly, people just don’t know what they are missing.

7. Albizia says:

That’s such a cute present! I’d love someone to prepare a special breakfast for me :)

I haven’t eaten pancakes for years and I’ve always preferred them savory. But I won’t give the non-vegan examples 😛

8. Valerie says:

You look so beautiful in that photo, Katie :).
    Sorry I haven’t commented in a while. It’s been a hectic holiday season for us! But I’m catching up on your old posts now and am happy to hear you had a great Christmas. What a sweet sister you’ve got!

1. Valerie says:

Oh, and what a good idea for single-serving pancakes. Not exactly a necessity around here, with so many mouths to feed, but I bet it’d be a good idea for those living alone who don’t want mushy leftover pancakes. Yuck.

9. Lindsey says:

I loveeee pancakes! Blueberry and pumpkin are my favorite flavors. I always top them with a little non-dairy buttery spread and agave! I still haven’t tried banana pancakes, even though they are one of my fave fruits, so I’ll have to try this recipe soon! :)

10. Picky Nicky says:

I love banana pancakes, especially with peanut butter on top :)

11. Love how the expiration is when cc’s aren’t cool!

12. Sarahishealthy says:

Love the glowing picture of you. And the cupcake coupon is so creative. I wish someone would give me a coupon like that! 😉

13. You are just too cute in that pic!

I love your single serving pancakes…I like pancakes, but a couple is all I need. Not a dozen…so I love the smaller serving size in your recipe! And that it’s vegan and can be GF. I have one recipe that’s made with banana, too for pancakes…I think warm bananas, syrup, and pancakes just GO together :) Maybe w/ choc chips on top too!

Have a great day sweetie!

14. Those pancakes look delicious!!! I don’t make pancakes often, but my fave topping for EVERYthing is bananas! (if I ate meat, I’d probably put a banana on it. I’m joking.) :-)
    The gift from your Sis was really sweet.

1. LOLOL!! Too funny! But too true. In fact, I bet meat WOULD taste better with some banana on top. I wonder how tofu marinated in banana sauce would be? Probably really good, right? I once made a banana coconut curry and it was delicious!

15. HOW SWEET!!! that is just tooo cute, Katie :)

I love banana pancakes! I like putting cinnamon in my batter, and slicing bananas on them while they are cooking. Then when I flip them, the banana slices get all carmelized! Mmmmm….

1. Seriously, is there anything better than caramelized banana?

16. Namaste Gurl says:

Do I like pancakes? Yes, ma’am! :-) Favorite topping would have to be nut butter and coconut of course.

17. Mmmmm…you’ve given me a craving for pancakes now! 😀
    Your sister is too cute, that was such a good idea!

1. Speaking of cute, your blog name is super-cute!

18. Maryann says:

Banana pancakes makes me thing of Jack Johnson! They look yummy! I like pancakes but love waffles even more…soaked in maple syrup :)

19. I never liked pancakes until I became vegan. It was an egg thing. Now I really enjoy them… with bananas and peanut butter on top

20. I have been pan-craving (pancake + craving?) for a few days now…perhaps I’ll have to go with this pancakes for one idea (and thank you for always cooking for a single lady, m’dear!)…maybe I’ll try it out with my new peanut flour?

21. Hannah says:

Yum! These look so simple yet delish!

22. Janna says:

Katie I love that you do “single-serving things”. I am moving into graduate student housing in a couple days and will be living on my own (and cooking for one!) for the first time EVER! So I need as many single-servings of things as I can get!

I love pancakes. My family actually a restaurant called The Pancake House. I like blueberry pancakes a lot. But for real treat I go for the banana chocolate chip. Yum!

1. Janna says:

That meant to say “My family actually OWNS a restaurant…”

23. I am a pancake girl for sure, and my favorite toppings are definitely peanut butter and maple syrup! These pancakes look marvelous… so sweet of your sis!

24. Katie you did it again :). I’m not a single gal but love your single recipes ;).

xx sabine

25. I love the chop-sticks and love the card about everyone enjoying the vegan cupcakes!

PS: check out this pancake master; it’s insane: http://www.jimspancakes.com/ (this is totally going to put my comment into spam)

1. ahhaahh that website is great!

2. Woah cute cute cute!!! The dinosaur! The turkey! The unicorn! Thanks for sharing; that link is utterly adorable!

26. pancakes are hands down my favorite.. i am also not much of a cake lover either! i like DENSE foods!… hmm best pancake topper is obvi almond butter!

1. Hehe or coconut butter!! 😉
      P.S. Giving you a shout out tomorrow :).

27. bitt says:

i love the fried banana thing that happens when you put bananas in pancakes. and with maple syrup–yum!

28. Rach says:

Haha! I love the expiration date! So cute! What a great gift! :)

29. VEGirl says:

That is too cute! I am infatuated with pancakes. I LOVE PANCAKES! My favorite toppings are banana and applesauce, and berry sauces!

You really go my craving for banana going this morning, so I made some banana oatmeal. You’ll never guess what came in the mail partway through breakfast…. thank you so much for the babies! Really makes a girl’s day :)
    VEGirl

1. Aww well, YOU made mine with your sweet thoughtfulness. And the chocolates were delicious!!

30. i LOVED you pizzert pancake.. mm berries and chocolate or pecan and chocolate or hazelnut and chocolate or banana and chocolate… how about chocolate and chocolate <3 hehe

xoxo

1. Chocolate and chocolate. Is there a better combination in existence? (Obvious answer: no!)

31. Pancakes are easily one of my favorite breakfast foods that I do on the weekends… Toffee being my new favorite mix-in.

I never said they were healthy… :)

1. Oh wow, that sounds good. I need to figure out a good vegan toffee recipe!

32. Yumness! How did you make your caramelized banana topping? It looks killer.

1. It was so easy-peasy: just cut the banana and fry it in the same pan you use for the pancakes. When it starts to look caramelized (like in the photo), it’s done :). My mom likes to add a little brown sugar to hers and eat it over ice cream.

33. I went on a 19 mile run once and when I came back my sister had made me pumpkin pancakes :)

1. Woah, 19 mile run?! LOL I would definitely need someone else to make breakfast for me if I went that far! 😉

34. um. i love pancakes and this is a clever idea. i usually make coconut flour ones but i’ll have to grind some oats (hi gluten allergy) and give this a go!

1. Coconut flour pancakes?!? Oh my gosh, yum! I just bought coconut flour for the first time, and I’ve been wondering what to do with it!

35. Oh my gosh – those look amazing (and your pancake picture is beautiful by the way :) ). Pancakes = best breakfast ever. However, I don’t make them often because it’s a pain to try to cut down recipes to single servings. But thanks to you, I don’t have to! :) Nut butters (and sometimes yogurt) are my favorite toppings!

1. Haha usually I actually like bigger servings… then you can freeze the leftovers and only have to cook once ;). I’m all about the laziness!

1. That’s a great point – I’ll have to try that! I’ll be lazy whenever I can, too. 😉 And, that would make weekday breakfasts so much easier!

36. Disturbed says:

O, and random question: have you ever tried Bobo’s Oat Bars? I have become addicted to them. They have them at this coffee shop which is like a 7 or 8 minute walk from my school and I go down to get one when I have a chance. I am personally addicted to the chocolate and almond ones. I was just seeing if you are anyone else has tried them.

1. I haven’t! I don’t think they sell them around here :(. I saw them a few times, years ago (in Boston, I think). Now I wish I’d bought one!

1. Disturbed says:

I was so happy when they got them. Being I live in TN-and in the middle of nowhere-vegan, natural things are few and far in between. You can order them online I think, not sure. I should probably figure that out, being I am sure they are cheepper if you buy them from the source.

1. LOL yes! Best breakfast song ever. And I don’t think there’s a person in the world who doesn’t get that song stuck in his/her head when eating pancakes :).

37. BroccoliHut says:

I have been quite a pancake fanatic lately. Favorite toppings? Coconut, bloobs, or both!

38. I love your recipes for one. I’m going to make these as soon as my bananas are ripe

39. Camille says:

Those bananas may be making my mouth water a little :)

40. Those pancakes sound perfect! And they look so, too :) Love the coupon as well. The “When cupcakes aren’t cool” part made me chuckle. 😛

41. Ann Claire says:

How sweet of your sister! The card she made is so cute. I like pancakes, but I’m really more of a waffle girl myself. Hmm, whipped cream was always my favorite topping, I guess I should try your vegan healthy whipped cream!

42. Aylin says:

Those look delicious! I need to make me some stat.

43. Claire says:

Oh pancakes are amazing on a cold morning … well any morning really 😛
    I’ve made your German Chocolate Pancakes and Carrot Cake Pancakes, both of which were delicious. My favourite topping on pancakes it always fresh fruit (peachs, nectarines, kiwi, dragon and berries). What’s your favourite pancake? Also when you were a kid did you get the spoon and drizzle the batter over the pan to get the crunchy ‘bits’?

1. No no! You can’t make me choose. Well, ok, if I must, I’m going with the carrot cake. But I also love the brownie batter ones simply because they include chocolate :). And lol, no I never did that with the spoon. Sounds yummy, though!

44. Fi says:

Aw I wish my sister could make me pancakes! To be honest I’d be a bit wary if age offered me some! X

45. Fi says:

I think I may have missed the pizzert party-not impressed! They look yum! Xx

46. Emma says:

This is a great idea! I made some this morning using half buckwheat flour and threw in some blueberries. Delicious. Perfect for a weekend.

1. Oh now you have me craving blueberries!! Love your addition :).

47. Blinky says:

I love your single serving recipes. I made the single lady cupcake, it was delicious. Thank for sharing, have a lovely day miss Katie.

1. Thanks, Blinky, for the sweet comment. Wishing you a super-lovely day too!

48. I never knew that you could combine just flour, almond milk, and baking powder and make a pancake! So cool and so delicious. I also really love the single serving cupcake recipe. My dessert-life has drastically improved thanks to your recipes!

1. Thanks, Caitlin! I’m working on banana bread next. And I REALLY want to do a cinnamon roll, but so far a good basic recipe to work off of has eluded me :(. Someday, though!

49. Kathleen says:

Banana Pancakes!!! YUM! I can’t wait to try it … with some chocolate chips. 😉

1. Ahh! Of course! I knew something was missing from my pancakes. Now I’ll have to make them again :).

2. Kelli says:

That sounds crazy-delicious. I can’t wait till Lent is over, then those chocolate chips better watch out 😉

50. Jade says:

Hey I just wanted to say I’ve just recently discovered your website and Im SO glad I have!! I am Vegetarian but starting to eat a lot more Vegan (after recently realising that animals are treated badly for their milk/eggs etc..something I didnt know!!! -coming from a family of meat eaters) I just LOVE how you make single serves because I live alone alot of the time (husband works away) and I hate wasting food. its just awesome :) All your recipes that I have tried definitely have not disappointed. Thank u so much for showing me ways I can make delicious food without dairy/animal products, and keep up the great work!

PS do you know of any good books/documentarys about going vegan…? I would like to convince my husband to, at the very least, eat less meat…. :-/

1. Aww thank you so much, Jade!

I’ve heard that the movie “Earthlings” is incredibly moving… I *think* it’s what made Ellen DeGeneres and Bob Harper switch to veganism! As for books, one that really opened MY eyes was John Robbins’ “The Food Revolution.”

51. Rachel says:

hi, just a note to say thanks for this recipe-i made the pancakes this morning, but added a tablespoon of peanut butter to the mix. this makes the pancakes taste amazing!!

1. Oh now I MUST try your idea!!

52. Msdramateacherlady says:

OH – MY – GOODNESS!!! Just made these….amazing! I added a little extra almond breeze, as my batter was super thick. They stayed a little underdone in the middle (almost too much under for my taste). But, so tasty! I pealed and prepped all my over-ripe bananas and popped them in the freezer for future use in banana pancakes. OR, banana ice cream, whichever comes first.

1. I’m so honored you made them!!

53. Flurina says:

My favorite topping is cinnamon and a ton of maple syrup yum. :)

54. OvoVeggie Alexandra says:

Hello, Saturday breakfast :)
    I can’t wait to try these! I LOVE your website!

55. Musugonekuku says:

I just made a double batch of these for me and my sister. She was a little unsure when I was making them (No eggs? No sugar?) but we both totally loved them!
    We topped them with honey and red berries from our garden. Tasted great ^^

1. I’m so excited you liked them!!! (And so jealous you have fresh berries in your garden. LOL all we have are weeds ;).)

56. Leslie Paquette says:

Another delish recipe! I used spelt flour and these came out perfect. Topped them with a dab of coconut butter, almond butter, and a tiny bit of maple syrup =tastiest breakfast I’ve had the last few weeks. Plus, they kept me full for quite a few hours which was surprising since there wasn’t too much protein in the whole meal. It was a perfect, filling 1 serving recipe.

1. Aw I’m so glad you tried them! And I’m always amazed at how much protein flour actually has… I think spelt flour has like 8 grams in a 1/2 cup! I never knew grains had protein until I became a vegan… and then someone rocked my world and told me even broccoli has protein! 😉

57. Rebecca says:

The banana pancakes for one were sooooo delicious! I added 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon and they were perfect! Keep the single serving recipies coming!

1. I love your idea to add cinnamon!

58. Megan says:

I totally second Rebecca on both the cinnamon and the request for single serving recipes! My favorite pancake recipe isn’t easily cut down, as it uses an egg, but I hadn’t thought to sub the banana! Absolutely amazing and quick breakfast, and going to have to try the other suggestions with peanut butter and chocolate (probably together). Pancakes are so much fun because they’re such a blank canvas!

1. So true! They’re fun because–with just a few changes–you can have endless flavor combinations! :)

59. Anna says:

I wasn’t sure what to make tonight since I was cooking for one but when I found this recipe I knew exactly what to make. So delicious and I love how thick they turn out! I added a kiwi on top :) love the recipe for one!

1. I’m so excited you liked it! I have a strawberry shortcake version that I need to post soon!

60. Mia says:

I’m not vegan (I had a side of egg whites with these), but I’m really enjoying these vegan recipes. I LOVED these pancakes! I added a packet of truvia, because I have a ferocious sweet tooth, and they were perfecto.

61. Amit says:

just made these tonight. so good.

thank you for this recipe!

62. Emma says:

Made these for the first time Saturday…and might have made them 3 times since:) Love doing different topping on each..this mornings toppings of choice were: pb/honey/chia, greek yogurt & blueberries, & mashed banana/cinnamon/brown sugar. Thanks for the recipe!

1. You are so welcome! I might have to try your banana topping idea. What could be better than bananas over bananas? (Well, except chocolate over chocolate… ;))

63. Nicole Dyan says:

I had a serious craving for pancakes, but didn’t have any banana so I made these into pumpkin pancakes in honor of the first day of Sept! Subbed 1/4 c of pumpkin puree for the banana, added a little pumpkin pie spice, vanilla protein powder for some longevity and vanilla almond milk for sweetness. Yum! Thanks for the recipe!

1. That sounds absolutely incredible! I celebrated the day by making chocolate-pumpkin brownies… might have to make your pancakes tomorrow! :)

64. Dixie says:

Discovered your blog a couple of weeks ago and I think I’m just going to cook my way through it! The other morning I had your Double Chocolate Brownie Batter Pancakes and this morning I made these – yummy yummy yummy…. and I’m not vegan!

65. Sam D. says:

I may or may not have eaten these 3 nights in a row for dinner….delicious! Perfect portion size for a single lady! Another successful recipe from CCK, I expect nothing less :)

66. Mags0277 says:

omg. where have these been all my life? i was first of all so happy to find healthy pancakes since they arent really all that healthy for you. i made them and fell in love. i then made another batch… hehehe. my new go to pancake recipe!

67. Dana says:

I made these pancakes for my breakfast today and it was soo delicious! I also used your Melted Banana Trick from the oatmeal recipe :)

68. Emily says:

Hey! This looks really delicious, do you know the calories for all your pancake recipes? If so, could you put them up? Thanks!~

69. Jessica M. says:

Is there any way I can make these with pureed pumpkin or applesauce? How much would I need to add in place of the bananas? (I LOVED these by the way……I make them all the time!) Thank you!

1. I know another reader made pumpkin pancakes out of the recipe, but I have never tried it. You’ll have to experiment :).

1. Anonymous says:

I would use sweet potatoes!

70. These look awesome! Can’t wait to make them tomorrow morning!
    You should try this healthy pancake recipe! It’s really good.

71. Kelli says:

Made these for the first time today (I’m actually eating them as I type), but I switched in pumpkin for the banana — AMAZING! And these actually make enough to fill me up I’m always skeptical when it says “for one”. With a drizzle of honey I can say this is a great start to a Monday :)

72. raychel says:

I was so excited to find a one serving recipe- so great for a college kid who wants a nice brunch treat on the weekends! I’ve been in SUCH a pumpkin mood lately as its gotten colder, so I used your recipe but substituted organic canned pumpkin for the banana, and a 1/2 packet of stevia since the banana would have added more sweetness then the pumpkin. IT WAS AMAZING! thanks so much– your blog is my newest obsession!

73. raychel says:

I was so excited to find a one serving recipe- so great for a college kid who wants a nice brunch treat on the weekends! I’ve been in SUCH a pumpkin mood lately as its gotten colder, so I used your recipe but substituted organic canned pumpkin for the banana, and a 1/2 packet of stevia since the banana would have added more sweetness than the pumpkin. IT WAS AMAZING! thanks so much– your blog is my newest obsession!

1. Awww thank you so much, Raychel! :)

74. Kim says:

Thanks for this yummy recipe! I made one over the weekend and it was yummy. I used all purpose flour because I didn’t have anything else. I also added some chocolate chips and it was so good!

75. Sonja says:

I’m eating those pancakes right now and they are delicious! Thanks for coming up with such a nice vegan, sugra- and fatfree recipe. My topping: mashed bananas :-)

76. Rachel says:

Katie!
    can i ask if it is ohkay to leave the mixture overnight or a few days?(:

1. You can definitely leave the dry ingredient mixture overnight or even a few MONTHS ;). But don’t add the liquid ingredients til you’re ready to cook the pancakes. (However, you can cook them and then freeze them if you want.)

1. rachel says:

yippi!thanks katie!!(:

77. Christi says:

Made them this morning and drizzled with reduced fat PB!! Delicious!!!! What is the calorie count for the pancakes themselves?

78. Alex says:

Made these and they were AMAZING! <3

79. Sara says:

I’m adding this to our recipe repertoire. Also, my 17-month-old loved them and was hollering for more when he finished his first pancake. Thanks for a delicious recipe.

80. Eliza says:

Loved these pancakes!! Wrote about them in my blog for “January Favorites” Thanks Katie :) elizanaomi.tumblr.com

81. Kaycee says:

Yesterday I made these for my friend [without the vanilla extract and with cinnamon] and she loved them! When I told her that they were vegan, she was even more surprised haha! Today I made them for myself, with vanilla extract, cinnamon, and topped with freshly ground almond butter and some agave nectar. HOLY YUM. so good! As always, your recipes are tres delicioso, Katie 😀

1. Awww that really makes me so happy!

82. Arwen says:

Holy crow, these were delicious! I’m not usually huge on banana in things other than banana bread, but these totally won me over. I had them with Earth Balance and hot maple syrup, and good golly were they delicious. I added 1/4 tsp cinnamon to the batter and sprinkled a little more over the syrup. Mmmm…

Also, the portion size was perfect! I love the single-serving thing — it’s weirdly kind of validating for a single gal like me :)

83. Erin says:

mmmmmm Just made these for breakfast! SO yummy!! :) Topped em’ with yogurt 😉

84. Sarah says:

i’m eating these right now. soooo goood!

85. Jennifer says:

This was a life-saver today! I was going to make my stand-by banana protein pancakes for a playdate this morning — and then realized my cottage cheese was past its expiry! AH! (yes, I’m not completely vegan…)
    Luckily, I knew if I came on here and looked for another recipe and found a perfect replacement! I know with your recipes that I don’t have to do a test batch — they are sure to be delicious! Thanks!

86. Anonymous says:

I’ve been making these incessantly and decided this morning (pre workout) that I needed a few more calories, so along with smothering these delicious, easy pancakes with a ton of coconut butter and a bit of honey, I also added 1 Tbsp of melted coconut butter to the batter ( I use a blend of spelt and kamut for the flour) and they turned out super yummy!

1. Oh wow, I’m going to have to try that! Coconut butter is my very best friend. Ok, maybe it’s a tie with chocolate. Shhh don’t tell chocolate ;).

87. Edda says:

I love your recipes. I wanted to make the banana pancakes for my family (5 total), but didn’t have enough bananas when I multiplied by 6, so I made some adjustments — for the flour I used 2/3 cups each of whole wheat pastry flour (like your recipe), cake flour (not sure if that’s vegan), and spelt flour. Since I only had 1 banana, I used the banana and 6 tsp of applesauce. Instead of all vanilla extract, I used 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1 1/4 tsp almond extract. I also added 6 tsp of finely chopped walnuts and 1 tsp of cinnamon. Other ingrdients stayed the same. After done, I topped with a thin layer of fresh peanut butter and a small drizzle of maple syrup. Everyone loved them. Thanks for inspiring me with your fantastic recipes !!!!!!

1. Sounds delicious!! And yes, cake flour is definitely vegan too :).

88. Alex says:

made these and topped them with agave nectar and sliced banans…ohmygodyum <3

89. Kaycee says:

This recipe is my go-to recipe for pancakes! Especially because I always have pancakes at hand! I calculated the calorie count for the entire recipe, using Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze and Quaker 1 min Quick Oats and the total is 181.8 calories, 3.1 grams of fat, 9.4 grams of sugar, and 4.3 grams of protein. If you add a tablespoon of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, the calorie count gets boosted up to 251.8 calories. I made these this morning with a tablespoon of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, a drizzle of honey, and a smidge of butter! So yumm

90. kat says:

What’re the nutritional facts for these? they sound so good!

91. Nicole says:

I really want to make these for brekkie tomorrow, but all I have is whole-wheat flour and ABSOLUTLEY no non-dairy milk. will it work with water and regular we flour? Thanks Katie! :)

1. Nicole says:

ooops. ****ww flour

1. Nicole says:

It’s okay, I decided to make your PB & Banana Oatmeal Fusion instead. Still getting my banana AND peanut butter fix! 😀

2. Anonymous says:

I just made these with whole wheat flour, and they came out FANTASTICALLY. So good!

92. Megan says:

the fluffiest pancakes ever!

93. Nicola says:

Also works really well with oat bran instead of flour – for less calories, less carbs and really high fibre.

94. Leah Davis says:

I just made these! I was excited because I’ve tried a couple of your other recipes, and they just haven’t turned out right… due to my personal lack of cooking skills. But these were great. I used coconut milk and regular flour. I also added some cinnamon and a pack of stevia because I have a sweettooth. (to the other sweettooths out there who are thinking about sweetening the recipe, don’t do it! the banana provides just enough sweetness.) Mine made three thick pancakes which was the perfect serving size for me! They were excellent with some I can’t believe it’s not butter and sugar-free syrup.

95. Mert says:

Very good. :)

96. Mert says:

I added some Greek yogurt and pineapple juice too–was good.

97. Amy says:

YUM YUM!!

98. Alann says:

These are my absolute favorite pancakes to date… I made them gluten free and added semi-sweet chcolate chips! Soooo delish thanks Katie!

99. Eva says:

Just made them for Easter breakfast nom nom. They turned out so gooey and perfect

100. jane says:

Wow i just made these and they are amazing! Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe :)
    im looking foward to trying all your other yummy recipes!
    God bless :)

101. Frazz says:

Your recipes are a godsend for when I’m craving my favorites! AND they’re vegan– how better can this possibly get? Thanks so much for providing great recipes like this to the hungry public! (:

102. Stephanie says:

These are delicious!! I added a little oatmeal for extra fiber and some cinnamon (I put it just about everything) and topped it with natural peanut butter. So yummy and super easy!! Thanks for sharing!

103. brianna says:

these look really good. does anyone know the nutrition information. I am trying to eat healthy so dont want to blow my diet by comsuming them if they are reallyhigh in calories

1. I don’t think they’re all too high in calories. You can always use Spark Recipe calculator. It’s free :).

104. Liz dR says:

Katie – I just started following / backreading your blog two days ago. I think I’ve read like 60 entries so far; I’m totally addicted. You are a fab writer and a terrifically creative cook! I also admire your abilities in handling online BS/drama – way to be awesome.

I’m not a vegan (gave it a 90 day trial, didn’t love it, might try another trial in the future but for now I am very comfortable with my food ethics so don’t see the need to give it another shot at this moment) but am very conscious about what I eat. I love eating, cooking, and trying new foods, but most of all I love dessert – which means that, since I’m the opposite body-type/metabolism as you (it’s very difficult for me to lose or even maintain weight – and I’m a runner, too!) I need to be really mindful of what’s in the sweets that I eat. I love that your recipes have so many variations – you can make them with real sugar, make them with fruit sugars, make them with fake sugars, make them with all-natural fats (avocados! coconut!) or sub fruit for the fat (applesauce! banana!) – this is the ABSOLUTE BEST! One thing that I have tried for the first time since falling head over heels in love with your site is . . . Spelt flour!!!

Which brings me to why I commented on this particular post (after reading so many!) . . . I tried this recipe out this morning. (I also eat two breakfasts, one before and one after my run – but again, I have to really watch the fat/cals I ingest in order to not chub up – but I can’t just skip food or carbs because I need them to fuel up and kick ass -phalt, that is.) 😀 Anyway, all your stuff looks great, but I was a wee bit skeptical because it’s obvious that you are a great food artists and photographer, so I wasn’t going to be convinced that your food was actually delicious until I bothered making some instead of just drooling over the screen. I will admit that I never follow a recipe exactly like it says, even on the first go (tsk tsk, I know, you’re supposed to follow it to the letter the first time THEN modify it – I never do that even though I know better!), so I didn’t totally follow this one. I used spelt (I decided to try out the new-to-me-thanks-to-you flour on one of the very few recipes you DON’T recommend it on, what a dork!) and didn’t have vanilla (used it up on coffee glaze the other day and haven’t replaced it yet) so I threw in some cinnamon. Also, I took the other half of the banana and chopped it into pieces to add banana chunks to the pancakes (because I feel about bananas the way you feel about chocolate). Oh, and I added one egg white (could’ve used flax or NRG egg replacer to keep ’em vegan, I just happened to have egg whites on hand) to boost protein.

HOLY LORD. I’ll have you know I GAVE UP PANCAKES a while back because I couldn’t find any that tasted great and had great texture that were actually healthy . . . I could stuff “regular” ones full of apples and bananas and raisins and wheat germ but the base was basically just a carb overdose with no fiber and no protein, a calorie bomb with no nutritional value whatsoever, or I would try whole wheat ones that had great nutrition stats but tasted like chewy, carboard-y garbage. I gave up. Flat out decided that my existence would have to be one of a lady who does not eat pancakes. BUT NO MORE!

THESE WERE SO EFFING GOOD!!! They were AMAZING! Not “super awesome, especially considering that they’re healthy,” just regular “super awesome!” I know this particular recipe came from your sis, but I also know it’s right in vibe with the rest of your delectable creations (which I will now be trying – ALL OF!) so here’s a big fat KUDOS for a job well done! These pancakes had substance without being heavy and were EXACTLY the right texture!

Meanwhile, because I’m currently using PointsPlus from Weight Watchers to learn about how much running equals how much I can stuff my face with what (yeah I don’t like running like you do – I do it because I like food!), I did the math on these for anyone who wants to know:

One full recipe the way I made it (using a whole banana instead of half, adding one egg white, and using spelt flour) contains the following: 307 calories, 1.2g fat, 60g carbs (of which 8.3g are fiber), and 12.3g protein. You get two full servings of fruit (using my mods – including the whole banana) and if you adjust the WW PointsPlus down for the fruit and up for 1tsp of oil (for the pan), the WHOLE BATCH is only 5 points!!! (For those of you who are unfamiliar with WW PointsPlus, suffice it to say that a serving of regular pancakes, which would also be less food, would be anywhere from double to quadruple the points value, and when you only get 30ish points per day, a full plate of “regular” pancakes would basically be all the food you’re entitled to in a day.) Also, I made small-ish pancakes (4″-4.5″ diameter) and got 7 from the recipe!!! That is actually enough food!

Bottom line: Katie, wow, you’re great! Everyone else: Why aren’t you making these pancakes RIGHT NOW?! They are amazing!

Thank you. That is all. 😀 ~Liz

1. :) :)
      You made my day. And lol I can’t follow a recipe either. Glad I’m not the only one!

1. Liz dR says:

Yay! I don’t want to bog down your comment board so I’ll just say I am happy I made your day. Oh, and thanks for fixing the calorie count – feel free to delete the other comment that points it out if you want to “clean up” the page. OH and thanks for introducing me to PB2 (diff post, I know) – I just popped down to my local health food store and bought some and it’s going into these pancakes tomorrow morning! That’s right, I’ll be having them again. 😀 They are going to be my pre-run breakfast every day I get up in time to digest a bit before running and my post-run breakfast every day I don’t for a damn long time. 😀 HAPPY WEDNESDAY! Can’t wait to see what’s next! Thanks for rocking.

105. Liz dR says:

GAH! I mean three hundred seven, NOT four hundred seven, on the calorie count! That was a typo! Sorry, all! :(

106. Tracey says:

I just had these for breakfast and lunch. I am obsessed with them! They were so delicious!

107. Kaitlan says:

These were among the most delicious things I have ever eaten!! Granted I did sprinkle in some chocolate chips (like a few other commenters, I don’t like syrup) but this was an insanely yummy & satisfying breakfast!! Thanks Katie!!

108. shelby martin says:

Could you substitue pumpkin for banana?

109. shelby martin says:

Hi Katie,
    I made theese pancakes gluten free last night and they were amazing! However, I only got two pancakes from the recipie. Should I have got more? Any advice? Thanks!

110. Jenny says:

Just substituted banana with Sweet Potato and got some amazing pancakes!!

111. Melody says:

Thanks for these! I love them. I used almond milk and whole wheat flour. Perfect for this Saturday morning.

112. Cosette says:

They were amazing! This is a must-try recipe for anyone who likes bananas, are vegan, and likes pancakes!

113. Emily says:

Thanks for the awesome recipe. I treated myself to some amazing vegan pancakes this morning! And without waste!

114. Kim says:

Katie,

Want to Thank you for another wonderful recipe. Completely enjoy you site!!
    I do have a question that want your opinion on. Which is better as a replacement for refined granulated sugar agave or stevia? Or is it best to have both on hand because one works better depending on the type of recipe.

Kim

1. Definitely depends on the recipe, as liquid sweeteners change the ratio of dry to wet ingredients :).

115. Nicole says:

Just made these! They turned out amazing thanks!! Will be making these again for breakfast tomorrow! :)

116. Shannon says:

I just made these about 30 minutes ago, and I’ve never really had pancakes before. They were really easy to make and although it makes a small batch, I’ve never felt as full at breakfast as I do now, except for when I used to eat bagels. 😀
    I calculated as best I could and came up with this. It was about 230 calories for the pancake batter itself, but then I topped it with your DELICIOUS banana butter, which rounded off to about 350 calories total for everything because I used 2 tablespoons of the banana butter. I then sprinkled on some cinnamon over the top (and added some into the batter) And they tasted even BETTER with the cinnamon than without. I usually only have about 300 calories for breakfast, but this was worth it as my little cheat. Definitely feel satisfied so far, not only with the taste but with my stomach being full :] THANK YOU for creating/posting these recipes!!
    P.S. I’ve never had pancakes before until now, and I love ittt! Maybe next time I’ll omit the banana butter and replace it with chocolate chips!

117. Jane says:

Katie, I just want to say THANK YOU! I have been a vegetarian for five years but 7 months ago I was diagnosed with an intolerance to wheat, eggs and dairy. I only found your blog last night but my god I am so happy! Just made these pancakes and they were fantastic. So substantial and easy to make with no mess or leftovers. And super versatile! I’m from Ireland so I used a gluten-free flour blend by a British brand called Dove’s Farm and I threw in a handful of gluten-free porridge oats and some blueberries. Topped them with the other banana half and your gorgeous banana/peanut butter spread. Thank you you awesome lady!

1. Thank you so much for trying them :).

118. Jane says:

P.S. I cannot wait to try your other recipes!

119. Katie, these are the yummiest banana pancakes I’ve ever had…and they aren’t at all ‘gummy’ as even just regular vegan pancakes can sometimes be…and then especially with a banana thrown into the mix. I doubled (because I’m a pig…) the ingredients and threw in my own special touches, including white chocolate chips…and then I took Instagram pics and blogged about them. Gave your recipe and your website a shout-out…as I have several times in the past. xx

120. Julie says:

Just made these pancakes for breakfast this morning- they’re delicious!! i added a bit more milk to make them thinner, and added some cinnamon for extra flavor :)

I’m not vegan but I’m gluten-free, and so i also want to say thank you for making delicious GF recipes! :)

121. Roisin says:

I just made these and they were amazing!! hands down the best banana pancakes i’ve tasted!
    i added a little bit of cinnamon to the mix to just spice it up a bit :p
    thanks for the great recipe!

122. Michelle says:

I just tried these today. My husband wasn’t here and these were perfect for just me! And the serving for one was generous, and calories were low. Like others, I also added a big dash of cinnamon. I will definitely make these again. Thank you!

123. Dinisaur says:

I absolutely love your website! I made the little chocolate chip raspberry cookies a few weeks ago and they were soo good.. My bf and I ate the whole batch (and I ate a good part of the uncooked batter) that night! Just made these pancakes, threw mini chocolate chunks in there.. Amazing! Thank you so much for the wonderful recipes :)

124. Josey says:

I made these and they were WONDERFUL. Except for I followed the recipe above and it was just too dry to me. So I added about a 1/4 cup of low fat cottage cheese. 1 egg. And 1/4 cup of oat bran. I then used the other half of the banana used for the topping. I mashed it up a little and mixed in melted honey with a little butter. They turned out really really really good, and very healthy too! :)

125. Laura says:

With the holidays coming will you pleeeeeeease make Pumpkin Pie Pancakes! Im a pumpkin fanatic and i have tried to tweak your recipes unsuccessfully to make them myself! I would be eternally grateful

126. Moehn says:

I turned the basic recipe into chocolate, blueberry and raspberry pancakes already.
    (And i tried savory polenta-zucchini ones, but they would fall apart. -_-)
    MY GOD, the raspberry pancakes were delicious! My recipe, which is slightly different, works quite well without any added fat (in a good non-stick skillet) and contains about 180 calories per serving, if anyone wants to know.
    Me and my sister ate them with strawberry marmalade, so goooood….
    … and the chocolate ones with Alpro chocolate pudding, heavenly!

Tomorrow I’ll try your breakfast cookie dough and then Apple cinnamon pancakes… YUM!

127. Dalyce says:

I just made these and first dumped too much vanilla extract in. So I doubled the ingredients. Then I decided to add chocolate chips, and apparently added too many. Very chocolatey banana pancakes, no complaints over here!

128. Geetha says:

Hi
    I made these for my 9yrold daughter’s birthday.She loved it!She ate 4!!!!.The only change I made was adding some walnuts to the batter.
    If you could come up with a funnel cake recipe that would be great!
    Now my 9 yr old wants to bake all of the yummy stuff on your website:-)

129. Filippa says:

OMG These were DELISH mine were not pretty by far but YUMMY.. I added a banana foster topping to em with the other half of the banana .. I sliced thin melted a half tablespoon butter
    added banana and then 1 teaspoon of butter then 2 teaspoons of dark rum
    OH JOY

130. anna says:

i absolutley love these! i eat about two of these with a handful of rasberries and some greek yogurt with brownsugar over them! im going to start5 making these even on shcool days because of how fast and tasty they are!!(:

131. Debbie says:

Sprinkled with some of your recipe for powder sugar and they were delicious!

132. Ashley says:

these are awesome!!!

133. Emma says:

Katie these are AMAZING!!! They really are the best pancakes I’ve ever had. Most pancakes leave me feeling way too full and upset my stomach, but these are perfect. They are so mushy and sweet and thick I love them! I’ve been craving them every day when I wake up this whole week. And I can indulge without the guilt. So thanks for the great recipe!

134. Cierra says:

Oh wow! First off Katie, I’m a new and HUGE fan of your blog! Since happening upon your guest-post at skinnytaste.com a couple weeks ago I’ve been concocting many of your yummy creations and daydreaming about which recipe to make next! I’ve been sharing them with my sister who is a sugar-a-holic and is now trying to make healthy choices. I am not a vegan, (yet), but have been making more and more vegan recipes and slowly converting for the health benefits.
    For these above, I doubled the recipe. I was all out of regular flour, so I had to get creative and I blended some rolled oats to make oat flour (1/4 c.)and then used some Bob’s rice flour (1/4 c.)that was long forgotten in my pantry. (and expired about a year..eee) Despite that, they turned out so delicious! I topped them with your banana butter with added cocoa and warmed it in the microwave to make it more liquidy. Keep it up!

135. Cierra says:

Oh, I also added mini chocolate chips to the batter with a little cinnamon, and a tablespoon of ground flax.
    Here’s an interesting article about using coconut that I just read recently. I have always thought coconut was a healthier fat, but this is a little disconcerting.

136. Ashli says:

Just made these. Used water to cut more calories and they still came out thick! I actually added more water- I like my pancakes on the thinner side. I also tried the banana butter- used pb2 and cinnamon. It was great! Thanks so much!

137. Emmie says:

Have you tried the banana-egg pancake recipe? I’ve seen it floating around Pinterest and it’s just 2 eggs and a banana mixed together and cooked like a pancake. I must confess that I’m skeptical…

138. Mary Anne says:

I am snowed in and had one overripe banana and less than one cup of milk, and I needed a recipe that would be satisfying and tasty. Cooking for one can be a real bummer and it took a long time to find this website and this great recipe. I doubted that it would really make pancakes, as everywhere else requires eggs, etc.; but I was desperate, so I crossed my fingers and tried it. Terrific! I had found a brand new bottle of maple syrup and I was drooling over the pancakes as I opened it. Why would anyone use a store-bought mix when it is so easy to create these little gems?

Banana pancakes and maple syrup are the best duo ever, although I also enjoy blueberries. Now I can sit back and enjoy the snow until the men come to clear my driveway in a couple of days.

139. moosie says:

i came home from the gym with the worst headache and a sore throat. wanted some comfort food. made these with a little cinnamon, undercooked and topped with a little agave. feelin better already 😉 thanks!

140. Jen N says:

Katie! My baby (and I) are obsessed with these! He’s a year old but he still doesn’t like to eat very much at times. My mom was over here yesterday and was amazed at how much he ate. Now she is going to make them for him sometimes too. I’ve been making one batch and splitting it with him but he likes them so much (again as do I) that today I made him his own batch. I use half oatmeal flakes and half flour and it’s awesome!

1. Jen N says:

Oh and the funniest part is I don’t even like pancakes!!! But these are awesome. Growing up the only pancakes I would ever eat were my dad’s made from scratch blueberry pancakes.

141. Alex says:

Can I make these with oat flour (blended up oats) ?

142. Well I am clearly having these for tomorrow’s breakfast!

143. Jackie says:

These look amazing!!!!
    I can’t wait to have these tomorrow morning!
    My favorite topping has to be bananas foster on my pancakes. By far the best thing given by god for topping ,or in my case just eating plain 😉

144. MJ says:

These look delicious! I have tried many pancake toppings… but nothing tops good old fashioned maple syrup! I loved chocolate chip pancakes drenched with the stuff. Then I checked the calorie count. Wow… but you have given me loads of new healthy ideas! Thanks!

145. annabel :) says:

what are the ammounts for one serving?

146. Deborah says:

i’m really getting into recipies, thanks to your blog. thought i would share something i’ve worked a long time in perfecting, for health/carb control/weight loss efforts: i don’t have any great pic to share at this point. but here’s the info. these are to diet for imho. these make a very filling breakfast/meal for one culd easily share but one carries you through until lunch.

banana blueberry pancake single serving
    cals: 295kcal | fat: 12.83g | carbs: 40.54g | prot: 16.71g
    Includes: coconut oil, banana, oat bran, blueberries, whole foods vanilla whey powder, flax seed meal.
    “one large pancake! delicious could share w/ someone it’s quite big and filling. naturally sweet! no syrup needed depending on how sweet your banana is. spray pan w/ pam cook on #4/10 ([preheated well) for best results/no burning. about 5 min per side.”

Foods in this Meal
    1/3 tbsp coconut oil (1 tsp)
    1/2 medium banana
    1/4 cup oat bran (about 34 g)
    1/4 serving frozen wyman’s blueberries or other no sugar added (15 g)
    1/2 serving whole foods vanilla whey powder(11 g)
    1 serving flax seed meal (13 g)

1. Deborah says:

forgot one thing in the above recipes!!! i do use one egg white (45 g) which isn’t vegan obviously. but there are egg white substitutes that could be used and the recipe adapted. so sorry!

147. Jess says:

I have been making these pancakes since you first posted this recipe and I love them (especially with some blueberries thrown in)! Just recently I decided to try freezing some… I stuck a couple in the toaster this mornjng and just finished eating them, they freeze wonderfully!! I can’t wait to make a bunch more for when I’m low on time in the morning! Thank you!

148. Emma says:

HI Katie!! LOVED these pancakes, I substituted the flour with oatmeal and they turned out awesome, with cinnamon sprinkled on top!

Love your blog.

149. Emma says:

I just made these and they were amazing.. thank you so much!! xx

150. ring says:

I just tried these with your Nutella spread and they are delicious! Thank you for the recipes!!

151. Donna says:

These are delicious! I have also used this same recipe to make waffles! Also subbed a grated apple for the banana! Excellent!

152. Grace says:

Ahhh!!! They are so yummy! They even came out fluffy! 😀 It’s my new go-to pancake recipe. Plus its not sweet. Im not a fan of sweet things so it was amazing.

153. Robin C says:

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong… I’ve tried making vegan GF pancakes twice now and both times have had problems with them not being cooked all the way through. I tried your recipe exactly using 1/3 cup of an all-purpose GF blend (1/2c brown rice, 1/4c potato starch, 1/4c tapioca starch). Should I have used more flour if it was GF? I made sure to spread the pancake very thin on the griddle to see if that was the issue, but it didn’t help. It seems to puff initially, but when I flip to brown the other side, it seems to flatten out. Do I need more baking powder? HELP! I’m on a strict elimination diet and can’t have dairy, soy, wheat, or egg while breastfeeding my son. They tasted delicious (I even added some mini chocolate chips), just the texture seemed off. Should I try a different flour (like spelt or oat)? Thanks for any advice you can offer! :)

1. Hi Robin,
      Unfortunately I can only recommend the recipe with one of the flours I’ve listed… because I’ve never tried any other combinations and therefore wouldn’t know how they’d turn out 😕
      So yes, if you can do spelt flour, use that.

154. Rachel says:

I really wanted some pancakes but I didn’t want to make a whole batch and this recipe was the perfect solution. I threw in some sprinkles because I’m a confetti cake addict. They were so delicious; I didn’t even use syrup!

155. Michelle says:

Delicious and perfect serving size :) Will be making this again!! Thanks for the recipe

156. Audrey says:

Made this today in waffle form and I have to say, it was delectable! I used banana extract instead of vanilla, but kept everything else the same (ww flour worked perfectly). 10/10 and I highly recommend trying them as waffles. Great job!

157. keetch* says:

Made these again today after a long time! A great basic delicious go to recipe! I ground up quick cooking steel cut oats for flour though because I had no other flour. Topped them with some homemade strawberry sauce and PB2!

158. Sara says:

I LOVE these pancakes! As a student they are perfect for both breakfast or even lunch! I like to make the recipe with unsweetened almond milk and I also add cinnamon and chia seeds to the dry ingredients. I usually top the pancakes with sliced bananas, plain greek yogurt and raspberries.

159. Lisa says:

Looks like a great recipe! Do you have any suggestions on what I could substitute the milk with so this recipe would be vegan? Thanks!

1. Hi Lisa,
      ALL of my recipes on this site are vegan, as I am a vegan. “Milk of choice” simply means whatever milk you want to use. I am partial to almond milk.

160. Katherine Coleman says:

About 195 calories per recipe… I think… It’s not official though

161. Katherine Coleman says:

Probably about 195 calories per recipe

162. Emily says:

I make these every Sunday morning!! I love them and how easy they are. I was wondering what’s the nutrition info for these?

163. Dee says:

I made these for brekkie today and they were amazing! I did use gf flour so they had a little bit of that gf aftertaste but the banana masked it well. I love this recipe :)

164. Elisabeth says:

Today was the third day in a row of making these pancakes for me! They are absolutely delicious and a real (and healthy!) treat in the morning. I can’t wait to try your other pancake recipes but I can’t seem to get enough of these for now!

Katie, would it be possible for you to come up with a recipe for salted caramel pancakes? Or even a salted caramel pie? It would be wonderful to have a healthy way of eating something salted caramel flavored!

165. Rose says:

Hi Katie! These look amazing and I want to try them today! Is this recipe a single serving? (Can a person eat the whole thing) just wanted to make sure! Thanks!

166. Chandler says:

FINALLY! I’ve been searching for a vegan pancake recipe that actually tastes good (and doesn’t call for a bunch of crazy ingredients!) These were SO good. I’m still daydreaming about my breakfast this morning. I added 1/4 cup blueberries to the mix :)

167. Yuri says:

I’m not vegan, just wanted something different this morning! My 3 yr old loves helping me so she mashed the bananas and ate 3 pancakes! I’ll be making this again! Thanks!

168. Lily says:

made these today & they tasted amazing!! i’d almost given up trying to find a good pancake recipe instead of using store bought batter. they smelt like banana bread when cooking and tasted so so so good. thank you!

169. mackenzie says:

Hey Katie I just want to say that your recipes rock! I follow a primal diet which is almost the opposite of a vegan diet and I still make your food and love it. So just keep doing what you’re doing girl!