Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Pizzert Ice Cream Sundae

It never got above 40 degrees yesterday, yet my mind kept telling me:

“Katie, you want ice cream.”
I do? But it’s cold and gray and I’m wearing fleece. Are you sure?

“You want ice cream.” Well, okay. If you say so.

mango ice cream

Y’know what goes well with ice cream? Breakfast Pizzerts!

So, at the urging of my insistent mind, I made one. And while the pizzert did its thing in the oven, Monsieur Vita-Mix ventured out from his hibernation slumber for some rigorous exercise: making ice cream! Or rather, mango faux-yo. Here’s how it played out:

Mucho Mango Faux-Yo
(makes 2 huge portions)

• 2 yellow mangos (240g)
  • ice (I use 7 1/2-moon cubes)
  • scant 1/16th tsp salt
  • a little over 2 tbsp milk of choice

Blend all ingredients in the Vita-Mix. Remember to utilize the useful Vita-Mix Ice Cream Trick.

mango 2

I think the mango is my newest-favorite of the many “Faux-Yo” Flavors.

Although chocolate-strawberry will always have a place in my heart. Oh, and chocolate-cherry too. And blueberry. Indecisive? Me?

vegan mango ice cream

vegan birthday cake ice cream

Going back to September…

Although my birthday dessert-of-choice was Raw Key Lime Pie, there weren’t candles at the party. Therefore we sang later that night, at home, when I ate my nighttime snack of mango faux-yo.

Just imagine me yelling to my family, “Hurry up and sing before my ice cream melts!!” Luckily, it didn’t melt, and it tasted delicious. It’s still difficult for me to believe that I hated mangoes until I moved to The Philippines for a year in high school. Thank goodness that tropical country shook me out of my crazy ways.

Tags: ,

1. I usually eat foods that go along with the seasons (hot in cold months, cold in hot months). Yesterday, though, I randomly decided to have a smoothie while out running errands in the 10 degree Chicago weather. Not my brightest idea. But at least the smoothie was good!

2. I don’t eat ice cream that often (although I really want to make you mango ice cream), but when I do, the weather has no play in it! If I want ice cream when it’s snowing and 10 below, I will shiver my way through it :)
    As far as oatmeal in the summer – most every morning (I’m surprised I don’t melt 😉 )!
    I’ve never tried a breakfast pizzert (still on my list!), but I think my favorite toppings would be peanut butter or coconut butter and chocolate chips (I looooove coconut butter and chocolate chips on toast!)

3. I eat porridge all year round and sometimes ice cream in the winter too. Sometimes it’s nice to eat the food regardless of the time of year! :)

4. That just looks incredible! I don’t have a vita-mix, do you think I could make it with my food processor?

1. I’m sure you could! You might have to add a little more liquid, depending on how strong your fp is. But if you try it, let me know! I really should use my fp more often.

5. Albizia says:

Mmm… mangoes! I’m impressed. And hungry (as always after you post a dessert recipe).

I eat both warm oatmeal and ice cream regardless of the season and the temperature. As a matter of fact, I celebrate the first snow every year with ice cream. I don’t know if it was a huge success but an ice-cream company in my country offered a “Christmas pie” ice cream this winter. It was with diced apple, clove and cinnamon syrup. Yum! :)

6. you rock my world every single day. no joke
    the faux froyo is so happin’ over here tonight…
    fav pizzert toppings? oh gosh dont make me choose… i always seem to love almond buttter, a fudgie and apricot jam all over it!

1. I really oughta try those fudgies. You make them sound so good!

7. Camille says:

I definitely eat ice cream in winter! There is no bad time of year to eat ice cream :)

8. I drink freezing cold smoothies which take me half an hour to finish, I’m always clung to the heating afterwards haha!

I’m 50/50 on mangos. I love them in summer, in winter they seem a bit weird to me ;).

fav pizzerts topping so far: almond butter + banana!

9. ps Katie I’m getting a Vita for my birthday (SO stoked), which one do you have? and do you maybe know of a site that ships to Europe?!

x sabine

10. I’m definitely more of a hot in winter sort of gal. Oatmeal, stews etc. Breaking out the slow cooker more this year, loving it. I’ve never been much of an ice cream person really, since I became sensitive to dairy as a teen and it makes me so sick, I kinda got turned off from it. I stay away from sugar, so that eliminates the substitutues. I would maybe like to try a protein ice cream at some point. For now, I enjoy my Chocolate PB Protein Brownies in the evening….Mmmm, mmm

1. Valerie says:

I finally have gotten into using the slow cooker, and now I kick myself for not using it more in the past. That thing is amazing!

11. Gen says:

I eat oatmeal all year round!!! And ice cream too! Luckily for me, it doesn’t get cold here! =D
    That mango faux-you looks delicious!!!!!

12. Kianni says:

I have a smoothie for breakfast no matter the weather. I eat oatbran no matter the weather…of course I live in Los Angeles, so it’s not that bad, but even when I lived where in the mornings it could be 0 degrees Ferrenheit, I still had smoothies or frozen fruit for breakfast..I was just near the heater..or shivering..or both. lol.

1. Valerie says:

Agreed. You can’t give up the oatbran! I’d eat it cold before I’d stop eating oatbran in the summer :).

13. I certainly eat ice cream in the winter and hot oats in the summer! Ice cream is an anytime food for me, though I usually have to warm up with a hot cup of tea afterwards.

14. Valerie says:

This looks delicious! Now I know exactly how to use that bag of frozen mango in my freezer :).

15. Heather says:

Haha! Awesome name! I love mangoes, but I absolutely HATE cutting them! I always feel like I’m wasting so much of it! Any tips?

I eat oats year-round, but I actually crave ice cream/fro-yo more in the winter months! How weird am I?

1. I don’t like cutting them either! There *is* such a thing as a mango cutter (for like $10), but I tried it and felt like it wasted too much of the mango, because it doesn’t cut right up to the skin. But it’s an option to look into.

16. Okay now I really have to try your pizzert! 😛

1. abby says:

me too! i must try! maybe i’ll put chocolate chips in my batter :).

1. Great idea! Chocolate Chips in the batter topped with PB and banana soft-serve and I’m in heaven. 😉

17. Ooh, mango has to be delicious in ice cream!

18. Maryann says:

Eating ice cream in the winter and oatmeal in the summer are normal occurrances for me. My body apparently doesn’t know the seasons, because I crave them all year long!

19. Leslie says:

I crave oatmeal all year long. And if I ever make your mango ice cream, I bet I’d crave that all year long too!

20. Lindsey says:

Cold weather never stops me from eating ice cream :) I’ll usually pick baking cookies over ice cream in the winter, but I will still eat it on occasion! I eat oatmeal during the summer too, but I just have to drink freezing cold water with it so I don’t overheat haha.

1. Valerie says:

We bake cookies… and THEN put the warm cookies over vegan ice cream. Hey, it warms the cold ice cream up a *little* bit ;).

1. Lindsey says:

I totally forgot about that! Ice cream on top of warm cookies is a-mazing! So is ice cream on top of cobbler…yum :)

21. i love mango! my hubs and i split a vegan gluten free brownie last night with half a mango each! it was a great dessert :) i eat salads, ice cream and gluten free rolled oats year round! in fact i think i eat a salad every day!

22. Mmm mango…love that recipe!! I had a pizzert again yesterday too! Only it was more like a breakfast cake because I used a sandwich tin! :)

Hot oatmeal in summer? ALWAYS. I don’t usually eat ice-cream in the winter, but may have make an exception to that rule now! 😛

23. Hannah says:

I eat ice cream year round! I never get sick of it!

24. Disturbed says:

So Delicious Pomegranate Chip is my favorite thing in the world, and I will eat it no matter the temperature. I had it on Christmas day as a little treat-and it was snowing outside. I felt obligated to go sit on the deck in the snow and eat it. I was freezing, but it was good and then snow was too pretty to keep my inside.

1. abby says:

ahhhhhhh that’s my favorite favorite flavor! just discovered it and my mouth is so happy!!! glad someone else shares my love of it :).

25. Stephanie says:

Mango pizzert….GENIUS!

26. Yum! Pizza + dessert at breakfast = party in my mouth! I can’t wait to make one once my mouth is all healed up:)

1. Aww I’m sending you lots and lots of get-well wishes (and chocolate smoothies and blended pb&js)! :)

27. Despite the cold here I have been craving green smoothies like mad!! :)

28. emily says:

great minds think alike! i just made coconut milk ice cream last night…and it’s probably 18 F here. :)

1. Never too cold for coconut!!!

29. Ice cream is a year-round food, but I stay away from other cold meals during the winter months. A food has to be very delicious for me to eat it in the wrong weather.

30. Jillian says:

I got a Vita-Mix yesterday!! Its incredible!! So, of course I had to have ice cream for breakfast today! I followed your recipe for the PB Banana Ice Cream. Oh my gosh, it was delicious! And since it had banana and PB, I’m telling myself that it wasn’t REALLY like eating dessert for breakfast! 😉

1. Super-exciting!!! Haha I even get excited when OTHER people get Vita-Mixes. They’re just so much fun :).

31. Ann Claire says:

I like eating ice cream in the winter because than you don’t have to worry about it melting! The mango faux-yo looks so good! Do you think it would be possible to make in a food processor? Mine is really powerful, so I was thinking of trying it. I really need to just get a Vita-mix!

32. VEGirl says:

YES YES YES! My body is so strange! All summer I ate hot cereal like there was no tomorrow (sometimes three meals a day!). And now in the cold weather, I’m pulling out the frozen fruit for blender sorbet! I actually ate something similar to you this morning: leftover bread with some creamy strawberry “ice cream”. It’s so yummy to dip into the sorbet with the bread….

33. I have a mango/banana softserve recipe! I love TJ’s frozen mango chunks (they are so much more flavorful than say the groc store brand..but i digress…) but I love love mango! And the chunks make great softserve. And the banana makes it creamy.

And yes, i drink scalding hot coffee, even in the summer.

And eat frozen fruit chunks in the winter.

1. I wish they had a TJs near me! The first frozen mango I tried yesterday was AWFUL. No flavor at all! Luckily I had another bag.

34. I went through a crazy soup-making phase this summer when it was 100 degrees out. So I’d be sweating, making hot soup, but I couldn’t stop myself because I was obsessed!

35. Bethany says:

I always eat ice cream no matter what the temperature it is. I just love the creaminess and deliciousness that ice cream is. Although if I can’t find ice cream I know where my mom keeps the frozen strawberries from summers past and I blend those suckers up with a little bit of microwaved strawberries (just to thaw and get the natural juice out) so that the mixture is still thick! Mmmm so good!

36. Christine says:

I eat fro-yo ALL year round. During the winter, I just wait til my legs are tucked under a heated blanket :(

1. abby says:

love heated blankets!

37. for me, it’s never ever too cold for fro yo/ice cream. i just never get sick of it and it always satisfies my sweet tooth!

38. I love ice cream in the winter. Yours sounds great!

39. Kiersten says:

I just made some homemade ice cream yesterday, despite the fact that it’s in the 40’s right now. I eat out-of-season foods all the time. Soups and oatmeal in the summer, ice cream in the winter…it doesn’t matter to me! I am sorry if you got any flak from people about your depression post. Personally I liked your post (and that’s coming from someone who is no stranger to depression)!

40. Your mind knows best! 😉

I eat cold foods in winter and hot foods in Summer all the time. Actually, that seems to be how I eat period. Most of this winter has been with cold sandwich like foods while the summer was mainly stir-fries. And of course, oatmeal year-round!

41. Elle says:

i had coconut ice cream just yesterday, and it is sooo cold here! the only homemade ice cream i’ve tried is banana, but i’ll have to try mango now. :) the weather outside doesn’t usually deter me from eating hot or cold foods. ice cream is always good, as is oatmeal. :)

1. abby says:

coconut ice cream! best stuff evah!

42. I’m eating mango sorbet while writing this, so I’ll say yes!

43. The ice cream looks great!

44. Namaste Gurl says:

What a good idea, making mango ice- cream– I must try that! I bet it would be SUPER yummy with banana and cashew butter atop :)
    I enjoy smoothies and oats year round, even it’s it’s freezing cold or super hot:)

45. Claire says:

For some reason it feels better to have icecream in winter for me, weird huh? Also, well done on the post yesterday and the day before, it was always going to be a sensitive subject that would upset some people but you wrote a very lovely post and it did a lot more good than bad. It’s always good to discuss these things as it lets people know they’re not alone and there’s no shame in talking about it. Well done lovey Kaite!

1. Claire says:

P.S I’m going away for a week and I’ll miss your writing, photos and recipes! xD

1. Ooh well, have fun wherever the wind takes you! :)

46. Emily K. says:

Mango always reminds me of the movie “Paulie”. Did anyone else see that? Mango Mango Mango :). M-a-n-g-o

47. I’m on an elimination diet working through some health issues. So I am PUMPED that this ice cream is Stephanie-friendly! Can’t wait to try it out!

48. Your pizzerts sound soooo. good!!!! I seriously need to try and make one. And yes, mango IS amazing!!!

49. Wow that mango concotion looks delicious. By the way ice cream is good anytime of day with any weather. Atleast I think so.

50. I definitely eat more ice cream in the summer than the winter, but I always want hot oats!

51. Lisa C. says:

Not gonna lie, the pizzert sounds good and the ice cream sounds good, but what really caught my attention was the key lime pie! Must check this one out!

52. BroccoliHut says:

My body clearly pays no attention to the changing seasons–I crave smoothies in 20 degree weather, and I regularly eat oatmeal and soup all through the hot Alabama summers. I like what I like!

53. Looks so good! I always have some coconut milk brand ice cream in my fridge, and since my appetite is kickin’ most in the Winter, I indulge way more often than in the summer. I love how simple this recipe is!

54. Mangos are the best!!!! Seriously, I buy a big crate of them at cotsco and they are gone in a week!

55. Why on earth have I not made your pizzert yet? Been bookmarked for forever!

1. Haha I keep asking myself the same thing about why I haven’t tried making your oaties yet! Or the 2-step fudge!

56. Mango is probably one of my all time favorites. I drink lots of cold smoothies in the winter.. and lots of hot soups in the summer. I like what I like all year round!

57. My body does NOT care about the weather outside…when it wants ice cream or a smoothie, it demands it 😛

58. Jennifer JCD says:

It’s -27C (feels like -34C) outside and our Vita-Mix has been churning out ice cream almost every day! Sure, it’s just blended up frozen fruit, but it tastes incredible. I completely relate to the winter ice cream cravings. So far our favourite is (frozen) mango + (frozen) strawberry + orange juice = neon orange deliciousness!

And I just bought a huge sack of grapefruits for $6 yesterday… there must be a global sale on that fruit this month. What to do…

59. Kathleen says:

I totally eat ice cream in the winter (an then snuggle up in front of my heater 😉 ) and hot oatmeal in the summer. :) My favorite toppings for a breakfast pizzert is chocolate and peanut butter! :)

60. ruth says:

oh, don’t cut them mangoes! they’re too precious to be subjected to them blades! haha! i absolutely love mangoes. i gobble them up everyday during summer which is when they’re sweetest. but green mango (shake!) is also good. and so are watermelons, melons, pineapples, coconut with the water. okay, back to mangoes. what i do is simple pinch the skin off the pointed end, then peel it round and round. then i bite it and the golden juice just ooze out. making slurping noises while eating mangoes is completely expected. by me. and don’t do it outside your home. =D

1. Haha I totally agree! I tried that mango-cutter once and was so annoyed with how much it wasted! Definitely returned it to the store!

61. I buy frozen mango chunks at the store and this is perfect! I have yet to make the pizzert, I think I would top it with coconut butter and banana soft serve, though!

62. Sarah says:

Hey, Katie – the Philippeans, China …. you sound almost like your parents were in the military or else missionaries…. how’d you get so blessed to live in so many places? Do tell…

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I think she said her dad is in insurance.