Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

The Carrot Cake Milkshake

Health Food = Rabbit Food

Normally this is exactly the kind of stereotype I try to dispel on my blog. But today, I’m embracing it full-force:

A carrot cake milkshake!

A double carrot cake milkshake, as I topped it with my 5-Minute Single Serving Carrot Cake in a Mug recipe. Two carrot cakes are better than one.

carrot shake

Carrot Cake Milkshake

• 1 extremely-ripe, large banana (frozen)
  • 2/3 cup milk of choice (For a rich, “ice cream”-like shake, use canned coconut milk. Also, use more or less, depending on desired thickness.)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • heaping 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 small carrot (50g or so)
  • scant 1/16 tsp salt (to bring out sweetness)
  • Optional: 1 tbsp Homemade Coconut Butter

Steam your carrot first, then blend all of the ingredients together in your blender, food processor, or even a Magic Bullet. (Note: This still tastes delicious if you just use almond milk as opposed to canned coconut milk. But it’s more of a carrot cake smoothie than a true milkshake.) I crumbled a healthy carrot cake in a mug on top.

carrot bunny shake

Get your bunny friends together and eat rabbit food. Or don’t tell your bunny friends, and keep the rabbit food for yourself! ‘Cause if you’re anything like me, you have a lot of bunny friends. As a child, I collected rabbits, so I have about a million stuffed animals, figurines, and other such bunny toys. If I invited all of them to my carrot-cake parties, the non-bunny of the group (me) would never get a bite.

By popular request: 50 Healthy Vita-Mix Recipes

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Jennifer JCD says:

Holy doodle that sounds amazing. I’m a sucker for anything carrot cake related.

I’ve had my fair share of collections growing up: rocks, marbles, hockey cards, stamps, LEGO, and anything and everything to do with spaceflight. I had a pog collection when they were popular, but that didn’t last too long. I still keep up with the stamps occasionally and the LEGO and spaceflight collections are always growing it seems. :)

2. Stefanie says:

I think the muffin on top makes this milk shake even better. When I was little, I collected stuffed animals. Now, I do not collect them as much aside from the gingerbread men stuffed toys at Christmas time.

3. I LOVE CARROT CAKE!! this sounds llike BLISS! loving all these flavors!!
    YES i used to collect little pins from all the countries i visited in Europe— weird?.. YES.. cool?… sorta…. until i lost them all..

4. This looks amazing, Katie! I love anything carrot cake flavored! 😀

5. Lisa Fine says:

This looks great! [But I wish I didn’t have an allergy to raw carrots. I love them so.]

I loved collecting keychains as a kid – I kept them all on a giant ring, and by the time I was 12, I must have had 30 keychains. I still like to use one or two of them on my keyrings.

1. Deb says:

These carrots are cooked before blending. So maybe you can enjoy this!

6. That sounds so good! I love rabbit food!! :)

I collected Cabbage Patch Kids and their evil cousins, Garbage Pail Kids, lol.

7. Gen says:

That looks deeelicious!!!!
    I collected beanie babies!!

8. I collected Babysitters Club Books. I had every. single. one…deluxe editions, little sister editions, you name it, I had an entire bookshelf for them!

1. I had every single Little Sister book!! And most of the older-girl ones too… and we even had the dolls. LOL did you know they made dolls? 😉

1. Crystal says:

The Babysitter’s Club had dolls!? I too read all of those books, Little Sister included. Sorry I am three years late commenting on this; I recently discovered your blog and am obsessed! I made the single lady pb cookie last night and have baked oatmeal in the oven. I just made the milkshake without steaming the carrot and it still turned out well, just a bit crunchy!

9. Jojo says:

You labeled this recipe as raw, but the carrot is steamed? Would this work if I used a raw carrot instead?

I collect stickers that come on fruit and vegetables. I have a ton collected and I stick them on the door of my pantry! Haha, from the collection, I can see that I eat a ton of bananas and apples.

1. Eek! Thanks for catching my silly mistake! I fixed it :). I think if you used a raw carrot, it would be more grassy-tasting… not as sweet. But it might still work if you used less. However, you’d probably need a high-powered blender to pulverize the carrot (or shred it first). If you try it, let me know how it works!

10. I made almost the same shake this winter! I added a little nutmeg and ginger too… and I SHOULD have added the coconut butter like you did. :)

11. Lindsey in CO says:

That is so funny that you called them “fires”! I have heard them called many things – paci, binkie, even the “mute button” but never a fire :)

I used to collect antique wade animals and antique marbles. My parents liked to go antique shopping :) Now my daughter collects antique Barbies!

1. hehehe imagine me screaming FIRE!!! at the top of my lungs all day long ;).

12. Katie says:

I have a box of something like 75 santa claus figuerines. I started collecting when I was 2 or 3 and my mom still buys one or two every year.

13. This sounds delicious!

When I was younger I collected stickers, Beanie Babies (who didn’t?), shot glasses (when I was in 5th grade?) and Coca-Cola stuff.

14. Freya says:

I’ll take two of those milkshakes please :)
    Ha, yes I collected skulls! I was an odd child :/ I actually till have the box, filled with rabbit skulls, cats, birds, mice…I even have a HORSE skull. It’s huge, gross, has a wobbly tooth and creeps me out :/

15. How did the carrot cake taste in the smoothie? Like a carrot juice or like a real carrot cake?? I bet it would taste nummy with nutmeg, too….mmmm…..

I collected my teeth? haha….I didn’t want the tooth fairy to take them away! My little brother is a HUGE collector, though. He picks up any rusted piece of metal lying on the ground, he has about a gazillion sticks in his room, a bunch of seashells, and too many rocks to count!

1. Hey Alex,
      As I wrote in the post, it depends: if you use almond milk it’ll taste like a smoothie, but if you use coconut milk it’ll taste richer, like a shake. It definitely doesn’t taste like carrot juice, no matter which nondairy milk you use… I loathe carrot juice! lol

16. I had the worlds largest beanie baby and stuffed animal collection and they all had to sleep with ne at night so sometimes they would wind up on the bed and I would sleep not the floor so that they would all be comfy ahaha the good old days!!

1. Awww lol you needed those beanie baby sleeping bags they invented! Then they could all sleep comfortably on the floor! But I can’t judge your need to have them all on the bed… I had bunk beds and my stuffed animals got their own bed!

17. Kimberley says:

TY Beanie Babies… I think my room was full of them!!!

18. Jessica says:

I. Love. Carrot Cake. I’m definitely having this for lunch today.

And I collected bears from all around the globe. My dad would bring me one home everytime he went anywhere. And they collected dust on my wicker shelf in my bedroom. I was kind of a messy child…

19. My mom hated having ‘clutter’ and ‘things laying around’ but we definitely managed to collect some beanie babies, Pogs and stickers! ha

1. Pogs! Haha I’d forgotten about those things!

20. I’m carrot cake OBSESSED, love this!

21. krystle says:

What do you use for the whipped topping? I’m sure there is an entry somewhere on the blog, but I can’t find it! Is it something you make or is it a purchased product?

1. Hey Krystle! In the photo, it’s actually just soyatoo. But my favorite vegan whipped cream sub is this:
      (It has a texture more like homemade whipped cream.)

1. krystle says:

Thanks! I’m reading all about the whipped cream right now :-) I am a new vegan(ish) eater. I finally started an elimination diet and it seems that dairy and meat make me feel awful, I’ve been a reader of your blog for a few months, but am taking extra interest in all of the recipe’s now that my diet has changed. I love everything, keep up the good work!

22. I *HAVE* to try this. Seriously, you had me at Carrot Cake…but carrot cake milkshake….in a bowl?! I think I will have this on Easter & top it with a Peep or two 😀

23. Emily says:

I grew up with a ton of land and forest around me so whenever my dad and I would go for walks I would find an old glass bottle or some cool looking rock for what I called my “museum.” I think I still have everything in my parents’ basement!

24. Wow.. so simple. This will be consumed shortly!

25. So I’m totally making this for breakfast tomorrow… sounds delicious and I bet it tastes just as good as real carrot cake (shhh… don’t tell me grandma!).

26. I never really collected Beanie Babies, but I did have a few :) I always wanted the green bear with the white clover. I don’t know why, but I really wanted that one!

27. McKella says:

Mmm, I love me some carrot cake. I haven’t tried any of your carrot cake recipes though, shame on me!
    I used to collect rocks, as well as a few other short-lived collections. Remember those gold-foil toffee candies? I had a whole shoebox of those wrappers for some reason. Something to do with “Golden tickets” I think.

1. I don’t know if I remember them… were they Werther’s brand? My grandma always carried Werthers toffees, and we liked to raid her purse!

1. McKella says:

I think they were Werthers…whatever they were, they were delicious and those gold wrappers made them that much more fun!

28. Looks delicious!! I made carrot cake oatmeal and carrot cake smoothie yesterday, so you’re definitely inspiring us to try new stuff! :-) Keep doing your thang, girl!

I collected stickers when I was little…my best friend and I were absolutely crazy about stickers and we traded them, had special little sticker books, and like was ALL about how many of the fanciest stickers you had!! LOL thanks for reminding me of this, brings back some funny childhood memories!! :)

29. I collected bells! And beanie babies of course.

30. I am loving all of the carrot cake love!!! Growning up I collected so many things. Crazy Bones. Pogs. Barbies. Polly Pockets. Beanie Babies. One strange summer of bouncy balls. Yeah, clearly I was a bit of a collector. And the fact that I still have most of this makes be a bit of a hoarder as well. lol

1. Pogs! HA, I totally forgot about those! They were big for about a minute. I also had an excess of all that other stuff too. I was big on stuffed animals. I had to buy one every time I went to the toy store.

I am totally making a Carrot Cake Milkshake tomorrow morning for breakfast!

31. I’m loving that you seem to be obsessed with all things carrot cake, like me! I’m making one for Easter Sunday and am loving this shake idea (smoothie in a bowl is my fave way to go). Keep it up with the carrot cake lovin!

1. I’m just wishing Easter were a little later… I have too many carrot cake ideas to try and not enough time! I want to do cinnamon rolls! How awesome would that be?!

32. I love how creative your dessert recipes are! I would never think to add a carrot to my milkshake. :) And I used to collect trolls when I was younger – the kind that had jewels for bellybuttons!

1. Trolls! Oh my gosh, I forgot about them. They were my favorites at one point… I even had troll stuffed animals!

33. This sounds so good!

And I totally collected beanie babies!

34. {Apologies if I double-posted! Comments aren’t liking me today!}

I used to collect and trade stickers with my best friends! For a long time, our lives revolved around who had the coolest, fanciest stickers! We had multiple sticker books to house our special little stickers. Thanks for reminding me of this little childhood memory! :)

1. Aww I just found you in my spam folder :(. Meanie spam!!!
      But thank YOU for reminding ME about stickers! I was in love with them too… we would’ve been great childhood friends! My favorites were the gel-y ones and the fuzzy ones!

35. I definitely collected about a bazillion beanie babies lol…I was so obsessed. I also collected those weird looking troll dolls with the bright hair and jewel belly buttons. So weird now that I look back on them :) and this milkshake sounds so yummy. I love carrot cake…so in milkshake form…I’m definitely on board!

36. This is probably SO weird, but my friends and I collected the salamander fishing bait and traded them around!! There are some really pretty ones, lol! 😉

37. Lea says:

This milkshake looks so delicious, and would be great in the summer.

I had the largest collection of beany babies, it was ridiculous, I actually learned how to count change as a kid by counting out jars of pennies looking for money to buy more beany babies. I was addicted.

38. Jen says:

Oh my…did I collect those TY beanie babies. You don’t even want to know how many I had. It’s embarrassing, but mostly on my mom’s part for spending so much money on them.

I also collected Pokemon cards…not going to lie. (That’s the truly embarrassing confession.)

39. haha cute post Katie!! this looks so delicious! ahhh I want carrot cake

40. Loving the recipe and the photography :)

I collected beanie babies, stickers, cabbage patch kids, nintendo games…lots of 80s and 90s memorabilia. lol

Have a great day :)

41. Yummy!! Good way to get in some veggies too 😉
    I use to collect beanie babies haha I still love them 😀

42. Please come over and make this for me? Kthnx.

43. Mmmm…..I love carrot anything! I think I may be part-rabbit.

As for collecting, let’s see: I collected erasers, crazy earrings, cats (real and fake!), fairies, and hmmm….oh, Barbies, Cabbage Patch Kids, porcelain dolls, everything.

44. shannonmarie says:

As I type this, I’m enjoying a green smoothie made with spinach, frozen bananas, carrots, cinnamon and ginger. Not as decadent as your creation, but similar. Cheers!

45. Katie you are SUCH A GENIUS!! How on earth do you come up with these amazing creations?! I WANT YOUR BRAIN!! And your looks too…that’d be great :)

And I still have my Beanie Baby collection, and they aren’t going anywhere!! In fact, there may or may not have been some more recent arrivals… 😛

1. LOL my mom forced us to stop buying them years ago… I HAD to have the old bear, Peking (because I was obsessed with pandas). So she made a deal with me: she’d get it for me (on ebay for like $100… yikes), but I had to promise not to ever ask for another one. My mom was pretty smart: she spent 100 dollars, but saved money in the long run because I kept my word! I think my old ones are up in the attic… so sad :(.

46. Ann Claire says:

This looks delicious! I have tons of beanie babies. My siblings and I all collected a different animals of beanie babies. I was bears, one sister was bunnies, my other sister was cats, and my brother was dogs. We still have hundreds of them stowed away!

47. Tricia says:

Hehe, I used to collect stuffed animals. I was (and am!) a huge animal lover :). Definatel will have to make this as well as the one in the bowl :) because we have a ton of carrots at our house

48. BroccoliHut says:

I LOVED collecting things as a kid–my favorites were Beanie Babies, Barbies, My Little Ponies, and Popples:)
    Now I collect teapots and kitchen appliances!

49. Mmm a drinkable version of carrot cake sounds lovely
    I collected anything to do with cats

50. Dalai Lina says:

I still have my entire sticker collection. That’s before your time, but back in the day it was all about stickers :)

1. Actually I went through the sticker craze too! (Does that mean I’m old too? lol) I was in like 1st-2nd grade, and we’d trade them during recess… but I hardly ever traded mine, because I was very attached to them!

51. Nikki says:

I collected stickers and pogs when I was really young. I also collected Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen ANYTHING!

52. bitt of raw says:

YUM! This sounds amazing.

I did collect stuffed animals for awhile but then got a dog who eats stuffed animals. she knows which ones are mine but the new ones that come into the house have to be for her.

1. Too funny! Molly (my Scottie) devours stuffed animals too. She had a favorite, called Fleecy Friend, but she played way too rough with him, and one day he just lost all his stuffing :(. Poor guy lol.

1. Oh, and my old dog, Harris, chewed all my Barbies!

53. When I was little I swear I had a new collection every week…some noteable ones were beanie babies (didn’t everyone?!?) and disney figurines!

I have officially found my breakfast tomorrow! Can’t wait to try this!

1. Haha why WERE we all obsessed with beanie babies anyway?! Looking back, it makes no sense… they were just toys like anything else! Unless maybe he hid some special hypnotic drugs in the stuffing, and we never knew? 😉

54. karla says:

Wow, I can’t wait to try this milkshake! I’m going to have to go out and buy some carrots, my puppy ate the last of mine. :-) You also inspired me to make the muffin to crumble on top! Thanks for (unknowingly!) helping me start my transition to a vegan lifestyle. 😀

1. Aw, you are so welcome! And my doggies are carrot-stealers too!

55. AWWWWWEEEEE!!!!! Girl, you have to stop it!!! Your recipes are the BEST!!! 😀

56. You never cease to amaze me, can’t wait to try this.

57. J says:

This shake looks delish! And to add to yesterdays post, I actually went to Serendipity last night, but I must say I wasn’t too impressed. I did not try the Frozen Hot Chocolate because I was in the mood for a sundae so my friend and I split the Forbidden Broadway Sundae. Talk about chocolate covered! It was a nice indulgence and impressive to look at, but I feel like I could make it all from scratch and it would taste much better. Plus I would know it was all natural with quality ingredients. Probably a lot cheaper too! Can’t wait to hear about your plans to visit NYC. Can’t believe I’ve lived here almost a year now!

1. Isn’t that the worst, when you go out to eat and think, “Gosh, I could make this at home and it’d be cheaper and tastier!”? That happens to me a lot… so I usually only like to go out to places where I CAN’T easily recreate the dishes (like Ethiopian, Indian, or a raw restaurant!). Otherwise I’m just disappointed. But you’re so lucky to live in NYC… some of my favorite restaurants are there!

58. Oh my GOODNESS this looks amazing! Making this as soon as I grab a bag of organic carrots.

59. Carrot cake is my absolute favorite – I have it every birthday. This looks so amazing – must try! I might try with a little pineapple in there too :)

60. OMG beanie babies!! I remember when they first came out – the stores would sell out of them in minutes! They were THE thing. I eventually ended up with TONS. I was able to sell some, but now they’re just taking up space haha :)

61. I was a huge stuffed animal collector. I used to have so many stuffed animals on my bed as a child that my mom sometimes couldn’t tell i was in the bed. It’s a good thing I wasn’t allergic!

62. it even has “sprinkles” love it

63. Lindsey says:

omg! that sounds amazing….

since it is pretty healthy, maybe it would make a good easter breakfast. i need something delicious to get me in the cooking/cleaning/prep mode.

64. SheepLady says:

I just made a batch with coconut milk and greek yogurt and they were phenomenal! I grated a raw carrot and blended it in and it turned out wonderfully well. Having the raw, crunchy bits makes me feel like I have a treat akin to chocolate chips in it!

1. I’m so excited you made it! And liked it!! :)

65. Sam says:

Oh wow I am definitely going to try this smoothie. I love carrot cake! Definitely not sharing it with any greedy bunnies :)
    I used to collect all sorts of things, beanie babies, rocks, all stuffed animals in general actually. Now i have a bunch of owl things XD

66. i love you for this! i used to collect trolls and teenage mutant ninja gear lol.

67. Laura says:

hah, when you listed what you used to collect, you basically were describing my childhood. one of my current friends used to call me “beanie baby girl” because I brought a beanie baby to school every day in 4th grade… and my first AIM screen name was smiley9010. :)

1. Haha you don’t want to know mine. It was Pandacheese. So weird… and random!

68. Yum! Just found my way here from Pinterest. Looks great and healthy :)

1. Aw yay! I don’t know what pinterest is, but I’m so glad you found me! :)

69. Carrot Cake Milkshake was AWESOME!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I added an extra carrot because i love Karrot Kake!!! lol
    ps…I used my Vitamix so i didnt have to steam the carrot.
    Thx again for all your hard work in bringing “us” all great alternatives to great food! THX

1. I’m so excited you tried it… and liked it! :)

70. I made this for breakfast this morning, who needs green smothies, I’d rather have a carrot cake smoothie! 😛 I’m seeing more combinations of this as ice cream…like sprinkling pineapple and raisins on top. Super Yummy! Thanks!

P.S. I’m new to blogging and posting on blogs. How do I get my picture to appear instead of the little grey head?? :)

1. Aww yay!

LOL I did mine a long time ago. But I *think* you can go here:
      Just click on the “get gravatar” link :).

71. Sofiya says:

Just had this for breakfast! If I wouldn’t know that that’s always the deal with your recipes, I simply wouldn’t believe that something so good has 0 grams added sugars and serving of fruit & vegetable in it. Amazing!

72. Maggie says:

YUM! just made this (I found your blog a few weeks ago, and this is the first recipe I’ve made….def. trying more!!!) and it’s SO good and easy!

I didn’t steam the carrot, and it didn’t taste “grassy”. I used a Vitamix blender, so that might be why. Thank you!!!!!

73. Nichole says:

I am sipping on this right now and it is GLORIOUS. Oh my goodness. Thank you so much for all your amazingly delicious recipes! 😀

74. I am so happy to have found this recipe. It looks delicious – and I followed your link to your VERY SIMPLE coconut butter! Great resource!

~ Tiffany

Transfer of Health
    Healthy Living and Recipes

75. Shelley says:

This was good, but the banana flavor overpowered pretty much everything else. I was wondering if the addition of the coconut oil balances that out? Speaking of coconut oil, where do I find that? I’ve looked in every grocery store in the city for that or coconut butter, and it is not to be found. I have yet to wander to the traffic-mayhem area of town to check out Whole Foods or Trader Joes; do you think either of those places would be more likely to have it?

1. I like the taste of banana, so maybe I’m just biased and don’t notice it ;). But if you don’t want a banana flavor, maybe try a greener banana?

Both stores should have coconut oil, but Trader Joes won’t have Artisana coconut butter, which is a completely different thing from the oil.

76. Heather says:

You have done a wonderful thing mixed my two favorite desserts into one! Keep up the great work!

77. Andrea says:

Oooo, glad I found this one on your chocolate peanut egg post today! I was thinking about this during the last leg of my run when I started getting hungry, and upon returning home discovered that I was clean out of bananas… So, I decided to be adventurous and sub the frozen banana for 1/3 cup pumpkin puree, which I happened to have in my fridge… I had to add a splash of maple syrup to sweeten it to my liking, but the flavors totally worked!

78. Katie,

This has my name written all over it! I’m so glad you posted this to pinterest or else I would’ve missed it! Keep those pins coming. :)

79. Ai Nokea says:

Do you ever include the Nutritional Information with your recipes for those who are counting calories? A lot of this stuff seems over-the-top when it comes to fat and caloric intake. Would be nice to know.

1. Yes, if you read through my recipes many (most?) do include nutritional info.

1. Ai Nokea says:

Thank you for your response. I’m “counting calories” so it’s very important.

1. I don’t have info listed for that one, but most of my other recipes–especially the more-recent ones–will have full nutritional info listed. (Now I’m including ww points as well.)

2. Ai Nokea says:

I’ll take a better look, but I didn’t see anything noted with this one. Am I not seeing it? I had checked a few and the info is sporadic and not complete. Some have just calories and no fat, and vice versa.

However, I thank you for your response. I’m “counting calories” so it’s very important. I need calories, carbs, and fats, at the least, in order to try something. I’ll never get as thin as you if I don’t! : )

1. As I said above, I don’t have the info for this particular one.

1. Jessica says:

Hi, you two! It’s about 210 per shake, not including the optional coconut oil. If you add the crumbled single-lady carrot cake cupcake, you’re looking at about 270.

80. Erica says:

I don’t eat bananas, what do you suggest taking the place of such a carb-rich fruit?

1. Shelley says:

I googled some options b/c I thought the banana was too overpowering, and I found two banana free recipes I want to try:

I haven’t yet gotten around to it yet though. Mostly b/c I’m on a strawberry-banana smoothie kick. Katie might have better suggestions though :)

2. Crys says:

Avocado makes for good banana-less shakes as well. My favorite shake is an avocado shake. Delicious sweet.

81. I can’t wait to try this Katie. I have never included a carrot in a milkshake intended as a desert and honestly never thought of it.

82. Crys says:

So this was really good. I made it tonight, though I messed it up and included the vanilla – forgetting my hubby had picked up vanilla coconut milk for me. So a little too vanilla-y but hey, good stuff. I made the carrot cake to go on top and ended up eating it before the shake was complete. I’ll have to do a redo on it tomorrow. :)

83. Erin says:

I made this for breakfast today, using a frozen greek yogurt instead of milk–sure creamy and delicious!

84. Sanaz "Leah" Ebrahimi says:

HOLY FREAKIN’ CAMOLY!!! I just made this milkshake (after wanting to forever), and it is AMAZING!!!! :-0 Ahhh!!! Will definitely be making it often!! Thank you!!

85. shereen says:

Oh my god. I just made this and tasted it with a spoon right from the blender, and found myself 5 minutes later still standing over the counter (spoon in one hand and blender in the other). THIS SMOOTHIE IS DELICIOUS!! I also like to “eat” my smoothies in a bowl/with a spoon, and this was perfect (and I love carrot cake). Also, I added some dried white mulberries on top for a little crunch, and it’s divineeeeee

Thank you!!!!

86. Tawsha Simon says:

My first collection was anything Little Mermaid (Ariel). I still collect Little Mermaid items! But two other fairly large collections I have are porcelain fairy figurines and bouncy balls.

87. Donna says:

What is the yummy whipped topping made of?

88. Paige says:

Just made this, with a few changes. I’m not vegan (I just love your recipes) so I used regular 2% dairy milk. I added a little honey. I left out the optional things. I used about 7 steamed baby carrots. This was a pretty good smoothie. It left a few chucks of carrot but that wasnt a big deal. Even with the chunks of carrot though, the banana taste WAY overpowered the carrot taste. It didn’t really taste like carrot cake at all. Delicious, but not carrot cake. I WILL try again with a normal carrot, a less ripe banana (or just less banana) and maybe I’ll even try some coconut milk. :) I also want to try this recipe with ice cream, maybe as a desert instead of a lunch, like I had today 😉 Thanks for the recipe! I found it over Pinterest btw. You are all OVER Pinterest.

89. Kylie says:

yum! I made this with oats, 3 whole carrots!, raisins, pecans, coconut oil, wheat bran, cinnamon, vanilla plant protein, and almond milk…and it is so scrumptious! (as a meal of course…look at that long list of ingredients :) )

1. Kylie says:

oh and ice to thicken!

90. amanda says:

this is heaven.

91. Sherlock says:

Hi Katie! Quick question…does the xantham gum make it thick? Is it tasteless? I’ve never tried it.

92. Bonita says:

I included this recipe in a list of milkshake recipes in an article I wrote about Cow Appreciation Day. Thought you might like to read it! Thanks!

93. Tanya says:

Katie… using a Vita-Mix, you don’t have to steam the carrot first! Have you ever tried that?

1. I haven’t. Thanks for the tip!

94. Maija says:

Okay, so I made this for my supper tonight.

To be honest, I expected it would be healthy… but rather gross.

I didn’t have any kind of milk opened so I threw a handful of raw cashews along with some water into the blender when I put the steamed carrots in. I added some ginger as well as the cinnamon and vanilla… and a pinch of salt.

To be honest, I didn’t bother measuring anything.

I didn’t have coconut butter, so I dropped a spoonful of coconut oil into the blender.

I didn’t have carrot cake to sprinkle on top.

Thank you SOOOO much!

1. I’m so glad it turned out well! :)

1. Thuy Duong says:

Hi! I was wondering if there is a way to contact you personally about your recipes or is this the only way? I would want to know if your pure vanilla extract meant that it’s only referring to the regular vanilla extract with alcohol in it or the plain vanilla flavor with alcohol free? I stumbled on this web site which made me think if this could alter the taste theoretically:

95. Stephanie says:

I collected cows! Like, stuffed animal cows, pictures, figures. They were all super cute and farm-y. But I think at some point it was time to move on from that!

1. Aw I wonder if you ever collected Mary’s Moo Moos (I think that’s what they were called). They were like Cherished Teddies, but cows! I had one in a red dress that was holding a panda stuffed animal :).

1. Stephanie says:

I don’t know if I ever had any of those. I’d seen them before, but a lot of my collection was handmade/craft fair type items.

96. Eileen says:

So delish! Seriously how was I truly “eating” before you. This is how one should eat, by enjoying healthy food. I’m a vegetarian 95% of the time who enjoys the occasional fish. I’ve cut out dairy and that is how I came across your recipes. I love them, sweet, yummy and they help me stick to my healthier lifestyle. Thank you again Katie!

97. Christy says:

mmmmm this was amazing! had it for breakfast 😀 its so quick, easy, and i LOVE how it tastes exactly like a milkshake. yum yum

98. Mary Jo says:

Made this for breakfast today and . . . WOW! Your blog is seriously saving my diet! I’ve found so many recipes to satisfy my sweet tooth without eating too many calories – and even getting nutrients along the way! Thank you!

99. Chocoholic says:

bouncy balls, pins, Littlest Pet Shops, Webkinz, and stuffed animals

100. Olivia says:

This was soooooo good! I used 6 steamed baby carrots, since I didn’t have any big carrots…Next time I think I will use 10 steamed baby carrots though to get more of a carrot-ey taste. I topped my carrot cake shake off with whipped topping and shredded carrots :) I bet this would taste good with some raisins mixed in, kind of like how tapioca pearls are just yumm-ily suspended in bubble tea? Anyway, thanks for the recipe CCK!

101. Ali says:

As an entertainer it’s always so important to stay healthy and trim. I’ve become an avid chocolate covered katie follower. My fiancé and I have used at least one of these recipes a week. This carrot cake smoothie one was amazing! Its like exactly like carrot cake- seriously too good to be true let alone healthy. Only diff was we didnt have full size carrots, only baby carrots. We used about 7 baby carrots. PERFECTION. Thank you we love it.

102. JessicaLynn says:

oh my word SOOOOOO yummy just made it.. husband aproved too and so did kids ! will be making again for sure

103. Vanessa says:

I’m in love with carrot cake and anything healthy!
    Chocolate covered Katie I tried this recipe and
    This did not taste anything like a carrot cake I love your other recipes though

104. Key says:

I don’t like carrot cake but I love carrots!

105. It definitely needs to be cooked for best taste.

106. Clementine says:

Hello Katie, thanks for your wonderful blog ! I was wondering whether you might be a aspie as well. Anyway, you’re really cool.

107. LEA says:

Outrageous! I cannot wait to try this, thank you!!! I stumbled across your website today, and am SOO happy I did :)

108. Lorrie says:

What form should the coconut oil be?(solid or liquid) and how much? Can’t wait to try this!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It should always be liquid. :-)

109. Chloe says:

I made this milkshake today as an afternoon snack and it was absolutely delicious! :)

110. Sandy says:

I am still looking for the Passover recipes. Sandy

111. Karen Hanes says:

I added a bit of cream cheese and seedless orange chunks to simulate adding icing to the top in the blender and my 3 y.o. said “it’s good like cupcakes” to me today. Yum.

112. Maxine says:

I’m allergic to anything coconut — it makes me itch all over — what do I substitute for anything g coconut?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

As it states in this recipe, the coconut is optional. However if you still want the richest results without coconut you can use cashew cream:

113. Kristal says:

I’m always looking for new recipes to share. Healthy Easter recipes are especially difficult to find it turns out. I’m gonna share this in a healthy easter class I’m teaching. Don’t worry, I’ll cite where I got it from. Thanks for the delicious recipe.