Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Cake Batter Doughnuts

I’m excited to share this recipe today, because it’s completely my own—and that wasn’t originally going to be the case. You see, I’d planned to make doughnuts following a recipe I’d cut out of Vegetarian Times a few months ago. However, when I tried their recipe, the results were, ummm, less than stellar. (Understatement!) Sorry VT, but your recipe was a complete failure!

If you’re curious, here’s a photo of my ugly doughnuts.

After that, not willing to give my trust to anyone else, I jotted down my own recipe, keeping in mind the reasons I suspected VT‘s didn’t work (too much fat and too much liquid being my main guesses). I’m happy to say my recipe came out perfectly!

do2

So soft and cake-like… yet they are much healthier than traditional doughnuts!

Cake-Batter Doughnuts

Loosely based off a recipe from Vegetarian Times

• 1 level cup flour (see note below, for what type)
  • 2/3 cup milk of choice
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp evaporated cane juice or sugar (or Sucanat)
  • 1/2 tsp apple-cider vinegar
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp ener-g egg replacer OR 1 tbsp flaxmeal
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tbsp pre-melted butter-type spread (such as Earth Balance)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • Optional: sprinkles! Or cinnamon, raisins, peanuts, chocolate chips… be creative!

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flax or ener-g with all wet ingredients except vinegar. In a separate bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients. Then add the vinegar to the wet, and immediately pour wet onto dry. Mix (but don’t overmix), pour into doughnut pans, and cook for 12 minutes.

Flour Notes: I used white-whole-wheat. You can use all-purpose or Bob’s gluten-free or spelt flour. Whole wheat pastry can be used, but the doughnuts will be a tad more dense.

View Cake Batter Donuts Nutrition Facts

If you don’t have a doughnut pan, the above link also lists ideas for how you can still make these! And it includes some un-edited photos. I thought I’d include them so you can see what the doughnuts look like in a non-photoshoot format.

doughnuts2

doughnut1

Tomorrow: Frosting Recipes!

If you can’t wait til then, try my Vanilla-Fudge Frosting.

Or sprinkle on cinnamon-sugar or powdered sugar while the doughnuts are still warm.

1. Jennifer JCD says:

WOW!!! I’m speechless! They look wonderful!

2. Kate says:

These look amazing! I love looking at the unedited photos too – you put a lot of work into this clearly and I am glad they turned out great :)

1. Thank you! I felt like I HAD to show off the unedited photos too, because the edited ones just do not convey how light and sponge-y they are! :)

3. Lenna says:

They look so doughnut-ty that I almost can´t believe they are healthy:))

4. Katie these are so adorable! I don’t have a donut pan and I hope they still work out!

5. AWWWW!!!! They are so cute :)I wish I had a donut pan! Where did the Easter bunny buy it? 😉

1. Alex, did you click on the link for ways to make these without a doughnut pan? I can’t stress enough: You do NOT need a doughnut pan to make these!!! :)
      (But the Easter bunny tells me he found it at Tom Tumb, the grocery store.)

1. Yeah I did, but I have been wanting a donut pan for a while……I think I might have to take the Easter Bunny’s Advice 😉

6. Wow – these look delicious!Love how you gave options for those of us who do not have a doughnut pan!

7. Okay now I NEED A DONUT!

These pictures are gorgeous btw!

8. You make something with sprinkles and I contemplate leaving work to go home and bake. Not good for my productivity 😉

1. Tell your boss you need to go home for a sprinkle quickie… he/she will understand ;).

9. Elle says:

these are SO CUTE! the recipe looks so easy, i love it! i think i have a mini muffin pan… otherwise i’ll just use a regular size one :)
    love the pics!

10. They look so festive and tasty!! I am buying a donut pan next time I see one. My life is feeling incomplete without it. And I know this recipe doesn’t need one, but c’mon, so cute, right? :)

1. Yes! And now I want to make other things in my doughnut pan!

1. Crafty lil vegan says:

…savoury donuts.. perhaps?

2. bob says:

Ooh, brilliant! My mind thus far in my doughnut pan testing out journey (ie. excuse to eat doughnuts now I have the pan!) has been confined to the sweet realm. I see lunch doughnuts in the near future! Healthy, and full of veggies of course = ).

11. You rock Katie! These look beautiful. I’m definately going to make these doughnuts.
    How many does the recipe make?

1. Hey Kat,
      It makes 6 regular-sized doughnuts. But if you click on the “nutritional info” link, it has some more specific info :).

1. patti says:

Hi Katie — These look great, but I will admit I am also interested in the nutritional info (no longer young enough to eat with abandon!)… When I clicked on the link, I saw lots of info *except* that. Did I miss it, or…?

2. Lisa says:

Hi, Katie,
        I’m confused by the nutritional info. It is 55 calories for a mini one or a full-size one? Thanks!
        Lisa

12. Katie, you’ve done it again!!! When are you publishing a cookbook? :)

13. i can’t wait til then for the frosting recipe, but i will surely make them AGAIN tomorrow!! :)

14. VeggieGirl says:

Holy yum doughnuts. Can’t wait for the frosting recipes!

15. Awesome! Those are some pretty doughnuts for sure! I’m making these :-) Thanks love <3

16. Lilly says:

Yum, these look beyond amazing! You are such a smart cookie, errr…. doughnut 😀 You do eat the things you make don’t you? Did you have them with breakfast? :)

1. lol sometimes I make things because I know YOU all will go crazy for them, even if they’re not my favorite things… cake-y things aren’t my favorite; I’d much rather have chocolate fudge cake or pudding or ice cream or coconut butter pancakes. So most of these went to my extremely-grateful friends. I just had fun making them! And a TON of fun taking photos and posting about them!

17. I have a serious crush on these donuts. Is that normal?

18. The recipe was sooo worth the wait. How cute and colorful. Love love love!

19. Ashley says:

Ahhh, these look great!! I’ve been meaning to try making a GF donut..will have to try soon!

1. Sarah C says:

Me too! I’ve missed doughnuts on a gluten-free diet!

1. bob says:

Me three! I made these ones (http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/2012/05/chocolate-doughnuts-with-or-without-egg.html) two days ago…and had to make more to freeze for snacks as they were all gone before I got some in the freezer!

I can’t wait to see how my version CCK’s ones turn out = )

20. Gracie says:

Oh nooo you did not! :) A combination of cake batter and doughnuts is pretty much my idea of heaven, hahaha. Reason #685 why you’re one of my favorite people!! Xoxo G

1. You know I love you right back, right?

And I most definitely didn’t forget to give you a shout out… I’m just trying to put it into a post so it’s not just some tiny afterthought squeezed in at the end of a post that no one will click on!

21. Hela says:

not the first one to say this, but WOW!!! some of the most beautiful pictures you have ever posted!! they so make me wanna go into my kitchen and make some! I bet they are delicious!

1. Aww that made me smile so much!

22. Mia says:

Those look beautiful! I’m so happy I actually have a donut pan. Will be making these soon!

23. Leashieloo says:

Don’t mind me, I’m just drooling all over the keyboard!

1. Sarah C says:

Ewww lol! But me too! 😉

24. Gen says:

Yuuuum!!!!! Will be making some doughnut holes soon!!!

25. Emilia says:

Katie, you’ve done it again– mastered and healthified (if that’s even a word!) a typical junk- food. These look fantastic and I so want a donut pan! I’m sure some coconut butter as frosting would put the cherry on top of these :) Maybe next you could make carrot- cake donuts? :)

26. beccah says:

you.are.a.genius!! you can also bake it in a lightly oiled pie pan and then cut them out using cookie/biscuit cutters.

1. beccah says:

do NOT use more then a 1/2 t oil to oil the pan though and they turn out more sponger dense

1. Ooo that sounds fun! Doughnut biscuits!

27. Jess says:

brilliant; i would have had one this morning, bu alas; i didn’t have time to wait for the post. maybe friday, when I don’t have finals? :)

28. katie says:

Super Super HEAVEN combo girl!
    I want a doughnut pan! I want mine to be pretty like yours!!!

These look amazing! Just like you! love u!!

29. Tori says:

I was thinking about making something creative for my mom’s breakfast on Mother’s Day. This is added to the list of options now!!

30. Mmmm this would be so fun to make the twisty ones too! Not a donut fan, but these look way better–just like cake :)

31. KATIE I LOOOOVE YOU!!! I am SO happy you don’t need a donut pan!! I spent ages worrying about it yesterday (priorities!! :P) but I CAN make them!! YAAAAY!! 😀

Oh and all the endless FLAVOUR possibilities!! I think snickerdoodle is calling to me most… 😉

32. Oh my gosh… I CANNOT wait to make these!! I don’t have a doughnut pan, but I’ll definitely be making some doughnut holes. And cake batter? It’s like you know my weakness. :)

1. Sarah C says:

Or everyone’s weakness! 😉

33. I’m glad you don’t need a doughnut pan and that I can still make these :) The flavor combinations are endless, so excited!

34. Emily says:

Wow, the photos of those are amazing! They look yummy!

35. The donuts look wonderful..and can’t wait for frosting. That’s where it’s at for me…lol :)

Just clicked and saw the other post..I love seeing food in all it’s un-glory, too. The before and afters. As a budding photographer, that’s just as interesting to me as the recipe and finished product….seeing HOW it got there!

36. I love this idea, but I think I will have to get a donut pan for it! It just looks so much more fun! So cute with the sprinkles!

1. Hehe I think everything looks cuter with sprinkles ;).

37. I am seriously SPEECHLESS over these doughnuts! I cannot WAIT to try this weekend!

38. I just started reading your blog and am absolutely in love with it! It’s dangerous to venture on because I’m probably going to be spending more time looking at your recipes than hitting the books…

I can’t wait to try these out once I get out of my dorm! haha

1. LOL maybe your professors will go easy on you and your lack of studying if you give a peace offering of doughnuts or chocolate? 😉

39. Megan says:

These look nummy. I totally think you should make jelly filled doughnuts! 😀

1. I agree! I’ve done jelly-filled doughnut muffins… maybe I should just make those again. They’re so good!

40. YAY for Frosting!! 😀 I love your recipes KATIE!! 😀 Doughnuts — I bet these are even better than Krispey Kreames! 😀

1. LOL I never liked krispy kreme… they put glaze on ALL their flavors, which was just weird. Who would want a glazed boston cream pie doughnut?!

41. alli says:

These are beyond cute. The sprinkles are so fun!

42. Good Lord these look good. I definitely want to try these!

43. I love the idea of making them in mini-muffin pans- they look delicious!

44. I am going to try these with Bob’s gluten-free mix. I’ll let you know what happens!

1. Oh please please do let me know! I only just found out about that gluten-free mix, and I think it’s so cool… but I’ve never used it for anything yet.

1. bob says:

Joy the Baker is nuts about Cup4Cup gluten-free flour. Worth a try if you can get your hands on some (I haven’t seen any here in Australia). http://joythebaker.com/2012/07/gluten-free-strawberry-ginger-pie/

45. These are the most adorable, most delicious looking donuts EVER!!!! Will you please move to Colorado and open up a bakery? Pretty, pretty please? (With an ice cream cone and sugar on top… I mean with, um, a healthy donut and sprinkles on top 😉 )

And I made your saag!!! It was spot on AMAZING!! Of course, that’s no surprise, seeing as it’s one of your awesome recipes 😀

<3 <3

1. Oh my gosh, yay yay yay! I will come open a bakery if I can live at your house and you can cook for me, since I don’t like to cook (I like to create recipes, but not actually cook them lol… I am lazy!).

46. Livvy says:

THESE LOOK SO GREAT Katie!! I love it:) Thanks for the recipe; and I might just have to make them now in a mini muffin pan!

47. Wow wow WOW!! You’ve got me craving donuts like nobodies business over here, girl… these look stellar! :)

48. caroline says:

these look good, just wondering is it 6 mini donuts at 55 calories each or 18 mini donuts at 55 calories each? or is it the same either way?

1. LOL for the 18… I have a regular doughnut pan, but the Vegetarian Times recipes all call for an 18 doughnut pan, so I figured that might be the one most people have.

49. Amy says:

HOLY COW! You are my favorite, these look sooo good!!!!!

50. BroccoliHut says:

Did someone say frosting?? You KNOW I’ll be back…

51. VEGirl says:

SOOOO pretty! I have donut pan that I got for Christmas (at my request). My goal is to make blueberry bagels, a favorite of mine before going GF. I also have my eyes on the Babycakes donut recipe, from their new cookbook :). These look delish!
    VEGirl

52. Tara says:

Yum yum yum!!! I am so excited to make these! I would love to make powdered sugar donuts too!

53. Katarina says:

These look so cute :)

54. You do a really nice job with photoshop! Those doughnuts looks amazing! I’m curious what made you decide to add the apple cider vinegar. I’m not much of a baker, so I’m not up on all the tricks. Did you just add it for the nutritional value, or does it help with the flavor or with baking?

1. LOL that part was taken from the VT recipe. I *think* one uses vinegar because it makes things fluffy and light, since it bubbles up. But no clue if it specifically needs to be ac vinegar.

And thanks about the photoshopping! My goal is to one day become such a good photographer that I don’t NEED to edit much in photoshop. But while I’m learning, it’s great to fall back on! :)

1. Hannah says:

I can help out here! The vinegar reacts with the baking powder to make cake rise – in some recipes it makes up for egg whites

55. Dalai Lina says:

Katie, Katie, Katie, I really need to stop reading your blog when I’m on a cleanse. It is just not fair to me :)

56. Aha! I knew I’d find the perfect recipe to break in my new doughnut pan! Yess! These look divine! Ugh, I can’t wait to hear what you used for the icing!!

57. Oh my gosh Katie, these look sooo wonderful! I do wish I had a donut pan though, darnit. 😛

58. Nina says:

Hi Katie,
    Another beautiful looking post.
    Did you use the egg replacer as a dry ingredient or made up (as per instructions on the pack)?
    I’d be using a different brand, no Ener-G in Oz, but actually prefer ground flaxseeds blended with water (so if/when I make them I’ll let you know how they turn out).
    Thanks,
    Nina

1. Oddly enough, I’ve actually found that I don’t need to use the egg replacer with the water like it says to… not just for these doughnuts, but for ALL the recipes in which I use it (cookies, cakes, etc). I just measure it in with the dry ingredients and make sure not to mix the wet in until *right* before I’m ready to cook it. It’s easier than using the water, and it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

I’d love to know how the flax works! :)

1. Nina says:

Thanks Katie, I figured as much but hey if you don’t ask, you don’t know (for sure).
        I will be sure to let you know how it goes.
        Nina

59. Emma says:

so pretty! i love sprinkles!

60. bitt of raw says:

so cheerful looking! like a party in a circle. if I do make them gluten-free I will let you know, I have the pans!

61. Alana says:

Please come out with an E-book!! You’re so talented.

1. There is going to be a book :).

1. Alana says:

YAY!!!

2. Nina says:

Yay! from me too! :)

62. whitney says:

Fed Ex me a dozen? Thanks gril!
    😉

Whitney

63. I hate donuts ’cause they always make my tummy hurt. But I have a feeling your donuts wouldn’t make my stomach go wack-o. I haven’t eaten a donut in almost 20 years, but I’m seriously thinking about trying yours. :)

64. Iris says:

Oh man, I really want to try making these gluten and sugar free! Why must you always tempt me so? I don’t have time to make doughnuts….but I’ll probably do it anyway!

65. Sarah C says:

I’m going to embarrass myself and say that I went out IMMEDIATELY after reading your post and bought a doughnut pan. Oh yes I did. And when I got home, I got busy making doughnuts a la CCK!
    They were INCREDIBLE!!! Even my not healthy eating sister LOVED them and had two! She even had her first one sans any topping at all. And this is coming from a girl who will not touch whole wheat ANYTHING with a ten foot pole! Thank you, Katie, for yet another delicious healthy dessert! :)

66. Lisa says:

Eating one right now! Oh my gosh, so good! I definitely added the sprinkles :). They should not be optional :).

67. Laurel says:

Wow. They look stupendous. How sweet of you to give directions when you DO NOT OWN a donut pan. But… I was thinking muffin top pan and cut out donuts holes when done?

68. Elise says:

My mind was blown! I used half white and half whole wheat pastry flour, white vinegar instead of apple-cider vinegar (that was all I had), and baking powder instead of ener-g egg replacer (I didn’t have ener-g egg replacer and I was too lazy to grind my flax seeds. I wasn’t sure if the purpose of the egg replacer was to bind or leaven so I just took a guess with the baking powder). I halved the recipe and baked 18 mini muffins (: They were so cute! And I was surprised at how well they held together…they weren’t crumbly at all! They were soft, cakey, and subtle-tasting. I frosted them with a mixture of coconut butter and strawberries. It was kinda strange. My nine year old sister didn’t like it but I thought it was an interesting flavor and I liked it. For some reason though I can barely stomach even small amounts of coconut butter (or lite coconut milk). It tastes so rich and fatty :/ I feel like I’m eating a stick of butter… I know coconuts are high in saturated fat but supposedly plant based saturated fats differ from animal based saturated fats. How do you feel about coconuts being so high in saturated fats, Katie? Are they good fats? I’m kind of wary about it…:/

1. Hey Elise!
      I’m so sorry about the coconut feelings… apparently some people are allergic to coconut, and it gives them a stomache ache. Maybe that is the case with you? As for the saturated fat, there are many studies that have proven what you mentioned: it’s only saturated fat from ANIMAL flesh that has a negative effect on one’s heart and organs. The saturated fat in coconuts doesn’t act upon the body with the same detrimental effects. In fact, if anything, coconut has been proven to HELP nourish one’s organs. Weird, right? :)

1. Elise says:

Thank you for clearing this up for me :) I feel better now!

69. Amanda says:

So i tried to make them and they definately needed more baking time than 12 mins – or my oven is way different than yours – they were not done all of the way through (i’m assuming they’re supposed to be ‘doughy’ but they had an almost oatmeal-like texture in the middle when i took them out….) so I baked them for longer and turned up the heat to 375. Thanks though, the recipe was great!

1. Hmmm… maybe it was the oven… or maybe it’s a difference in outdoor temperatures/altitudes? Or maybe we used different flours or you used measuring cups and I used a food scale? LOL can you see how unscientific I am? 😉
      In any case, I’m glad they eventually turned out ok for you!

70. Amanda says:

thanks for the speedy reply – yeah, i suppose it could have been a number of things – yours looked amazing though! we are up here in Alberta, Canada so the temp. and alt. could be the thing that made the difference forsure. Great recipes by the way – everything looks great and the stuff I’ve tried has been fabulous (a.k.a. the oatmeal 😉 ) Sooo great to have HEALTHY and Allergy friendly recipes to try – it sucks so much not being able to have every food group and these make it more interesting and more fun!

71. Brittany says:

Fruits, vegetables, and lean meats are healthy. Just because these are less fattening than regular doughnuts does not make them “healthy.” Labeling something packed with sugar and flour as healthy is misleading.

1. If you read my entire recipe, you’ll see that I use ww flour, which has fiber and vitamins. Therefore, I stick by my claim.

2. Meghan says:

Also, compared to what you’d get at DD, Krispy Kreme, etc, they are healthier.

72. Serena says:

These are gorgeous :B So much prettier than attempt numero uno. Funny what a bit more or less of an ingredient will do.

73. Allison says:

heheh, almost every time i see a recipe on foodgawker and think YUMMMM I want to make that!! – the link i click on inevitably sends me here!! :) love your blog – i seriously need a doughnut pan!

Allison :)

1. Awwww this made me smile so much! :) :)

74. Sarah says:

Hi Katie!
    I made these today as muffins and they didn’t quite turn out right. They ended up REALLY dense and doughy. I cooked them for about 25 minutes in total because I figured they might of just been undercooked, but no luck. Any ideas as to why this happened?

1. Hi Sarah!

I’ve never actually made this recipe into muffins, only mini muffins. Did you make regular-sized muffins? Maybe they’re too dense that way to puff up?

75. Heather says:

Oh my gosh! Donuts are my biggest weakness, I’d love to have a healthy version. But I don’t have egg replacer, flax or chia seeds. Anything else I can use instead? Or do you know how much egg it’s replacing?
    Thanks!

1. Heather says:

ooops… just read a post that used baking powder… will have to try that.

1. bob says:

I used chia meal for my version, but there are TONS of replacement ideas and tips for replacing eggs in these sites (I only found them a few days ago, so I only I’m still excited about all the possibilities!)

76. Taylor says:

I have the same question about the eggs, but I couldn’t find the post that talks about baking powder…I don’t typically use egg replacers, flax, or chia eggs. Could I sub egg whites or egg beaters with the same results? I just bought a mini donut pan and already tested out one recipe I found which was awesome. I want to keep experimenting to find the best one and yours looks great!

1. I really have no idea about cooking with eggs. I became a vegan over 8 years ago, so the only things I ever made (without my mom’s help) using eggs were chocolate chip cookies or fried egg sandwiches. But you could always try subbing in one egg annd see how it works for you.

77. Emma says:

I think I’m going to try this tomorrow. Looks delicious! I’m curious- where do you find vegan sprinkles? Sorry if you’ve mentioned it before, but I haven’t caught it.

1. I actually found a generic grocery store brand that’s accidentally vegan! No carmine or anything! :)

1. But also, “Let’s do Organic” brand is vegan, and you can find it at the baking aisle in Whole Foods.

2. Emma says:

Thanks, I’ll have to keep my eye out!

78. Amy A says:

I woke up this morning thinking about donuts, and this recipe was the only thing that got me out of bed an a very lazy Saturday morning! I can’t wait til they’re done baking!

79. These were seriously SERIOUSLY. Incredible. AND I made them with a gluten free flour blend instead of flour and I also made them with stevia baking blend instead of sugar and they were STILL completely mind blowing! (they weren’t completely sugar and gluten free, though, I couldn’t find gluten free OR sugar free sprinkles and I really wanted them to have sprinkles!!! 😛 obviously though I could leave them out next time). I topped with the chocolate fudge frosting but they didn’t even need frosting at all. I admittedly haven’t visited a Dunkin Donuts in like ten years but these tasted WAY better than I remember donuts tasting.

I also didn’t have a doughnut pan so I used one of those mini bundt cake pans, hahaha. 😛 So they came out looking a bit like cupcakes with holes in the middle but still amazing! I want to get a doughnut pan just to make these again

80. Candace says:

These doughnuts are so good!!! i love this recipe. i made them just a little bit ago and am eating one with the cream cheese frosting as i write this. yum! sad part is, i don’t have a doughnut pan so i tried shaping them myself. they turned out flat:( i am going to put a doughnut pan on my wish list for christmas. then maybe they’ll look as good as yours, Katie.

1. Aww so excited you liked them!!

81. reamz says:

just made these today and they were AMAZING! Used a mixture of rice and tapicoa flour, ghee for the fat, and stevia + dextrose instead of sugar. I made a small batch as a test run and will definetly be making them again! Next time i plan on putting a dollop of raspberry jam in the centre, and rolling the tops in melted butter and sugar to recreate jam doughnut muffins that i made as a kid!

82. reamz says:

oh also, FYI for the egg substitute i used tapioca gel (basically put 1/2 tsp tapioca flour in some water and heat until you create a thick viscous liquid!)

83. Charley says:

THANK YOU! I just made these and I’m in love! I’m thinking of making them with vanilla bean or cinnamon. Thank you so much for this recipe

84. nadine says:

could you maybe try a chocolate cake doughnut? i’m obsessed with dunkin’s chocolate glazed (not to be confused with the chocolate frosted) and if i could have a healthy version i’d be in heaven all my life <3

1. Rebecca says:

Try taking out a 1/4 cup of flour and sub1/4 cup of cocoa powder. It should work.

85. Sondra says:

Hey Katie,

I finally got to make this recipe after eying it for sometime now. I never attempted before, because unfortunately I do not have a donut pan. (Before today I never looked at the nutritional info.) So when I realized I could make it I whipped up a batch.

Orignally I was going to form them by hand, but I used a flax egg, making the mistake of actually preparing it rather than just adding 1 TB to the dry mix. The dough was unworkable by hand, even after I spooned it unto some parchment paper and tried swirling a hole in the middle, the dough just filled it back in. So they all went into the mini muffin pan. I cooked up the pancake flat dough mass too.

OMG, SO good!!! I glazed some of the mini-cake-batter-donut-muffins (which I guess would technically be mini-cupcakes, but that’s such an ORDINARY NAME) with a half and half raw honey/ coconut oil glaze (do you eat honey Katie? If so I highly recommend making this glaze) and some with a triple berry jelly/coconut oil glaze. They were so light and fluffy, with a VERY subtle nutty taste (from the flax). Not as pretty to look at as yours, but delicious none the less.

Oh and by the way, the messed up hand formed doughnuts?- turned out to be irresistably delicious cookies!! Chewy top, super super soft on interior (like pancake soft) with a golden crispy underbelly. It was even better than the doughnut-muffin itself, and would be amazing with some semi-sweet Guittard’s! (I think ghiradelli would overpower the subtle sweet notes it creates, but that’s just me.) I highly suggest you try it yourself, using a flax egg of 1:3 ratio (flax to water)… and droping it onto parchment paper by the tablespoon, cooking as normally…simply heavenly…let me know what you think if you try it!

1. I don’t really have any problems with honey… I think more bugs die in the organic kale I buy! I do know that it’s not “technically” vegan to eat honey, and I don’t go out of my way to eat it or cook with it, but if it’s in something a person has made for me, I don’t freaak out ;).

Your cookies sound delicious!

86. Danielle says:

I just have to say I made this recipe yesterday in mini muffin form and my husband and I LOVE THEM. I will be making more of these soon. They don’t take long to make and they taste soooooo good. A+++++ on this one :)

87. Sophie says:

can you use regular cows milk and regular eggs?

1. Megan says:

I just made them with Skim milk, one regular egg, and white vinegar instead of apple cider and they came out the same and are delicious!

88. megan says:

do you have a substitution for the apple cider vinegar? I am highly allergic to apples but really want to make these!

1. megan says:

Thanks!!! Going to try them this weekend for sure!

89. hey katie, i was wondering if i would be able to omit the ener-g egg replacer in this recipe, because i was thinking about making it this thursday – but i don’t have that ingredient. any suggestions??? thanks! :)

90. Sam says:

For the nutrition information, is it 55 calories each for 6 regular sized doughnuts, or 55 calories each for one of the 18 mini doughnuts? Thanks! I’m excited to try these!! :) :)

91. Joy says:

What if I don’t want to use white sugar. Is there a healthier option?

1. Evaporated cane juice? Coconut sugar?
      I haven’t tried xylitol, but if you do I would love to know how it works (or doesn’t).

92. Dezzi says:

I made these with the flax egg (1 heaping T flax meal, 3T water) and they worked great!

93. Dinah Kyle says:

I am trying this one as soon as possible…wonder if I could trick my boyfriend into eating it too mwahahaha

94. Janelle says:

Could you use coconut flour?

95. Erin says:

Just tried with flax…amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

96. Tawsha Simon says:

I love your site! My mother-in-law has so far given a thumbs down to EVERY SINGLE gluten free item I have had her try, so I am bound and determined to find something she’ll like!!!! I want to try this recipe next, but I don’t have egg replacer. How much egg should I use instead?

1. Sorry, I don’t know. The last time I cooked with a real egg was about 10 years ago!

97. kim says:

katie! i just found your website this week, and i’m thrilled with some of your recipes! my daughter has several severe and life-threatening food allergies, so we’ve completely changed the way we eat since we discovered her allergies almost eight years ago. once the kind of gal who loved pop tarts and pre-packaged powdered donuts, i now read every label, scrutinize what i’m feeding my kids, and prepare 90% of our foods from scratch (i admit, i take the easy road at times, since i’ve found potato chips that are relatively safe for her).
    she’s allergic to (and so i avoid in all of my cooking/baking): wheat, soy, corn, eggs, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, food dyes, lemon, kiwi……but she eats way healthier than most kids her age, so we’ve told her how blessed she is because of her health! :)
    anyway, i say all of this because i wanted to let you know that i modified this recipe this morning so it would be safe for her. we’ve thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast! i don’t use pre-made gluten-free flour blends…i make my own, following recipes i’ve found. here’s what i did:

 1 level cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend (Cybele Pascal’s recipe, available here: http://www.cybelepascal.com/ingredient-smarts/)
     ½ tsp guar gum (necessary for most gluten-free baking)
     1/3 cup + 1 T sugar
     1 ½ tsp baking powder
     ¼ tsp salt
     ½ cup warm rice milk (i reduced this because of the liquid in the “flax egg”)
     1 T ground flax meal + 3 T water (let sit for a few minutes)
     3 T pre-melted coconut spread
     ½ tsp vanilla extract
     ½ tsp apple-cider vinegar

i used a mini muffin pan, dipped them in your Coconut Banana Butter, and sprinkled on naturally-dyed sugar sprinkles. my kids loved them (and so did i)! thanks for the quick, easy breakfast treat!

:) kim

1. Thank you so much for sharing, Kim! Your recipe sounds really good… especially the part with the coconut spread ;).

98. Erin says:

Made these with spelt flour – came out fantastic! Thanks for the recipe.

99. Beth says:

Will your recipes work with real eggs instead of egg replacer? (I haven’t been able to find egg replacer yet in my local stores)

1. Sorry, I haven’t worked with a real egg in over ten years so I don’t know lol.

100. Beth says:

Lol. Well that a very good reason not to know!

101. Miss b says:

Katie thèse are YUMMY!!
    I need to make more.
    I made them in à mini muffin pan and i used chia seed instead of egg replacer .
    I got creative and made chocolate chocolate coconut doughnut holes.
    I thought you would like that.
    I plan to put these in a bake sale and not tell that they are vegan.
    I’ll tell you how that goes.

102. hayley says:

whats ener-g egg

103. danielle says:

flax egg works great in this recipe!! no one tastes it or knows it’s in there 😀

104. Jeanna says:

Just made these with Spelt flour, egg white and chocolate chips. They were delicious!! My husband even loved them with your homemade nutella spread on the top. This is definitely a winner!!!

105. Tricia Martin says:

I just made these… They are actually in the oven now. I had a little of the batter left over after I filled my mini muffin pan and I thought the batter looked like a nice pancake batter. So I made a pancake with it and it was seriously the best pancake I’ve had since becoming a vegan. It was the closest I’ve come to having a pancake that tastes, feels and looks like a pancake that was made with eggs or milk. I think the next time I whip up this batter it will be for pancakes! So yummy!!

106. Jessica says:

These look amazing… I would have to try a different flour mixture, might try Bob’s to see how that turns out as well as replace the, I sometime use flax or a banana. These look absolutely delicious though and much prettier than your fail. I agree with the above comment, this would probably turn out great as a pancake recipe!!

107. katie says:

I want to make vegan coconut donuts! so many amazing looking recipes on pinterest but none vegan :( any ideas on modifying this?

1. I can put it on my ever-growing list of recipes to try and make :).

108. Katie Lewis says:

Oh man these are amazing!!! I wanted to tell you that I used Better Batter Gluten Free flour that already has the Xanthan added and they are unbelievable!!! I used a muffin tin because i have no doughnut pan and they are sooooo moist inside. I am going to have to make 2 dozen of these bad boys. OMG you are the BEST! Thanks again for another awesome recipe Katie!!

109. Rebecca says:

I just made these with flax seed as the egg replacer. They are light and fluffy and very good. I’m not vegan or vegetarian but I like healthy foods, especially for my two young children. I made a practice batch for us before I make them for my vegan friend wo just had surgery. So far I ave really liked te recipes I have tried of yours. Thanks. :)

110. So I can’t stop thinking about these doughnuts! I made one batch which disappeared so quickly! I already want to make another and I don’t think I can wait to make them for breakfast tomorrow! Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe.

111. Anonymous says:

these look so good katie! can i sub the flax seed with an egg? or egg whites? im not vegan so it would be fine and i dont have any flax seed

112. Carrie Bourgo says:

I LOVE THESE!!!! I subbed my own GF Mix and added half tsp of xantham gum. Then I made mini cupcakes and they turned out wonderful! Thank you thank you thank you!!

Best part I can feed these to my kids who have dairy, gluten, nut, soy, and other intolerances and they miss out on so many goodies, its nice to have something easy to whip up for them!

And the 3 year old LOVES em :)!!

113. Mandana says:

I made these with whole wheat pastry flour and added some Z sweet to boost the sweetness and my kids LOVE them (as do I, and several people at a party I brought them to). Made them as regular and mini muffins. Will DEFINITELY be making these again and again!!!!

114. Mandana says:

Oooh just read the pancake idea….oh boy! We’re in for it now!!!

115. Mari says:

Oh my stars! So good. I just made them with 1/2 almond flour and 1/2 brown rice flour, and fructose. Delicious, light and fluffy!

116. Charlie says:

I made these at the Vegan Hacker SF event on Wednesday. They were a big hit! Better than other baked donuts I’ve tried. I can’t wait to make them again just for me. The taste was great and the shape was perfect. Donut pans are definitely worth it. I got mine at Sur La Table.

117. CoffeeGirl says:

Hi, I just made a batch of your yummy doughnuts. It was hard to keep everyone off of them. I alter the receipe for my son who is sugar free, milk free, gluten free. We used 5 packs of stevia. I didn’t have the flaxmeal so I needed to omit it. My two older children liked the sugar free better and my husband loved the texture. THANK YOU!

118. Mia says:

Made these as mini muffins and was floored! Made them GF but used an egg instead of the egg-replacer suggestions. These were fantastic, like everyone says. I mixed rainbow sprinkles in with the batter, and sprinkled extra sprinkles on top. Just delicious! It was really hard to keep from devouring the entire batch.

119. Tiera says:

These turned out delicious! I didn’t have a doughnut pan so I scooped them on the pan with an ice cream scoop. I added some maple syrup extract and pumpkin pie spice. Then I made a chocolate sauce to drizzle on top…sugar-free of course! You are such a little devil 😉 Definitely bookmarked this site :)

120. Julie says:

I am addicted to your website. I made your black bean brownies over the holiday break and my son, who will not eat anything but “beige” in color (nuggets, mac and cheese, hot dogs, fries, etc.) , absolutely loved it! He will then go on a hunger strike if I make anything remotely healthy. I love how simple and healthy all of your recipes are and how they provide substitutes. Thank you very much!!

121. Heather says:

Could you use real eggs in these? I’m not vegan and don’t have those other egg-like products on hand.

122. Celina says:

Hi Katie, maybe this was already asked and I missed it but, can I use almond flour instead? They look soo delicious…thank you!!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Do not sub almond flour. It is not the same as regular flour, and without a binder you will end up with a crumbly mess.

1. Celina says:

ok, thanks! I just want a lower carb option and I am gluten free…

2. Kramer says:

Someone said they used half almond flour + half brown rice flour, and it turned out okay. So maybe you could try that? I might try that too, because I’m gluten free, also!

123. Kimberly says:

oh my goodness. I made these into cupcakes today using all white whole wheat flour and one whole egg instead of the egg replacement, and they came out AMAZING, moist and fluffy just like regular cupcakes. Thank you so much for this! <3 I was so nervous they wouldn't come out right cause so many people say white whole wheat flour never makes good cupcakes, but I sifted the dry mixture to get some air in, they turned out perfect! You're the best!

124. John says:

Just looking at various recipes today, and note that it appears in this one (doughnuts) that one Tbs. flax, equals or can be substituted for one egg. Is this a general rule of thumb? I have other recipes calling for various numbers of eggs….so I just want to check and see if I can use flax meal – for the substitute versus the other boxed egg “replacers” on the shelf……with the ratio of 1Tbs flax = 1 egg ? 6/13/13

1. It IS a general rule of thumb… they say 1 tbsp plus 3 tbsp water. I often go with 4 tbsp extra liquid, though. It just depends on the recipe!

125. Alli says:

Made these today and they turned out yummy! 😛 I used a mini donut pan, cake pop pan, and a mini muffin tin and they all turned out great. My favorite topping to put on them is cinnamon and sugar…mmm! Thanks for sharing all your yummy recipes…look forward to trying more of them. Love your blog! :)

126. megan says:

i do have a doughnut pan, but i decided to put these in my waffle maker this morning. i used a little less sugar, and (after burning the first one horribly) it was deliccious!!

127. Kayla says:

I’ve made these with flax, egg replacer, and chia seeds, and all were wonderful! 😀

128. Meghan says:

Do you think I could use oat flour in place of the other types? It’s the only one that doesn’t bother my stomach.

1. I have tried them before with oat flour… they are a bit gummy, but it does work.

129. Mitch says:

how would I go about adding a little protein to this recipe? is that possible? I have protein powder but don’t wanna ruin the recipe. any advice would be awesome thanks.

130. Jenn Stoker says:

HOLY CRAP these look amazing! Can’t wait to try them.. :) Yum Yum!!

131. gina says:

If I use Bobs gluten free flour do I change other ingredients or add xantham gum?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can add 1/4 tsp xanthan gum.

132. Auden says:

These look so good! Going to try them tomorrow. Just wondering, for te egg substitute could I use a real egg? I sadly ran out of flax and am not driving 20 miles to get some in the middle of the night. Haha
    Thanks!

133. Jessica says:

What can I substitute for flax seed?

134. Jessica says:

Wow! I am in love! I made these this morning and they were delecious! I substituted the flax seed for two egg whites and the sugar for 1/6 cup plus 1/2 T of honey. I read that every 1 cup of sugar equals 1/2 cup of honey. Thanks for the recipe Katie!!!

135. Laurie says:

I went out and bought a doughnut pan because of this recipe! I’m looking for something to serve at my 1 yr old’s bday coming up and this might be the winner! Question for you, how long would these keep if made in advance? Since the pan is only for 6, I’d need to bake a bunch of batches and am all about doing what I can ahead of time. I can always add the icing day of. Thanks so much!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Yeah by a day. Or freeze.

136. Betsy says:

Can someone please post the link to the frosting? I searched for it on the website but only the Entemann’s donut recipe frosting came up. Thanks!

137. Beatriz Rudisill says:

Katie:
    For this particular recipe could I use Coconut flour instead and how could I adjust this recipe for the coconut flour. Since you know coconut flour is very dry.
    Beatriz.

138. Nicole says:

Hi Katie! I tried your recipe and the donuts turned out beautifully! My husband is vegan so I made a batch for his birthday. Turned out great- nice cakey texture and wonderful flavor. I also made a gluten free version using Pamela’s flour and it was also super! Thanks so much for having shared this!

139. Suzanne says:

Katie, I notice you label the link with your first attempt “fail”. When I make something that doesn’t come out the way I am aiming for, I remind myself of what the chef Maria Helm Sinsky said in a cooking class (paraphrased): There are no failed recipes, only new recipes waiting to be discovered.

These came out great, I am going to buy a donut pan now!