Cake Batter Doughnuts

I’m excited to share this recipe today, because it’s completely my own—and that wasn’t originally going to be the case. You see, I’d planned to make doughnuts following a recipe I’d cut out of Vegetarian Times a few months ago. However, when I tried their recipe, the results were, ummm, less than stellar. (Understatement!) Sorry VT, but your recipe was a complete failure!

If you’re curious, here’s a photo of my ugly doughnuts.

After that, not willing to give my trust to anyone else, I jotted down my own recipe, keeping in mind the reasons I suspected VT‘s didn’t work (too much fat and too much liquid being my main guesses). I’m happy to say my recipe came out perfectly!

do2

So soft and cake-like… yet they are much healthier than traditional doughnuts!

Cake-Batter Doughnuts

Loosely based off a recipe from Vegetarian Times

• 1 level cup flour (see note below, for what type)
  • 2/3 cup milk of choice
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp evaporated cane juice or sugar (or Sucanat)
  • 1/2 tsp apple-cider vinegar
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp ener-g egg replacer OR 1 tbsp flaxmeal
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tbsp pre-melted butter-type spread (such as Earth Balance)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • Optional: sprinkles! Or cinnamon, raisins, peanuts, chocolate chips… be creative!

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flax or ener-g with all wet ingredients except vinegar. In a separate bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients. Then add the vinegar to the wet, and immediately pour wet onto dry. Mix (but don’t overmix), pour into doughnut pans, and cook for 12 minutes.

Flour Notes: I used white-whole-wheat. You can use all-purpose or Bob’s gluten-free or spelt flour. Whole wheat pastry can be used, but the doughnuts will be a tad more dense.

View Cake Batter Donuts Nutrition Facts

If you don’t have a doughnut pan, the above link also lists ideas for how you can still make these! And it includes some un-edited photos. I thought I’d include them so you can see what the doughnuts look like in a non-photoshoot format.

doughnuts2

doughnut1

Tomorrow: Frosting Recipes!

If you can’t wait til then, try my Vanilla-Fudge Frosting.

Or sprinkle on cinnamon-sugar or powdered sugar while the doughnuts are still warm.

Tags: , , ,

1. Jennifer JCD says:

WOW!!! I’m speechless! They look wonderful!

2. Wow – these look delicious!Love how you gave options for those of us who do not have a doughnut pan!

3. Okay now I NEED A DONUT!

These pictures are gorgeous btw!

4. You make something with sprinkles and I contemplate leaving work to go home and bake. Not good for my productivity 😉

1. Tell your boss you need to go home for a sprinkle quickie… he/she will understand ;).

5. You rock Katie! These look beautiful. I’m definately going to make these doughnuts.
    How many does the recipe make?

1. Hey Kat,
      It makes 6 regular-sized doughnuts. But if you click on the “nutritional info” link, it has some more specific info :).

1. patti says:

Hi Katie — These look great, but I will admit I am also interested in the nutritional info (no longer young enough to eat with abandon!)… When I clicked on the link, I saw lots of info *except* that. Did I miss it, or…?

1. Lisa says:

Hi, Katie,
          I’m confused by the nutritional info. It is 55 calories for a mini one or a full-size one? Thanks!
          Lisa

6. Katie, you’ve done it again!!! When are you publishing a cookbook? 🙂

7. i can’t wait til then for the frosting recipe, but i will surely make them AGAIN tomorrow!! 🙂

8. VeggieGirl says:

Holy yum doughnuts. Can’t wait for the frosting recipes!

9. Awesome! Those are some pretty doughnuts for sure! I’m making these 🙂 Thanks love <3

10. Lilly says:

Yum, these look beyond amazing! You are such a smart cookie, errr…. doughnut 😀 You do eat the things you make don’t you? Did you have them with breakfast? 🙂

1. lol sometimes I make things because I know YOU all will go crazy for them, even if they’re not my favorite things… cake-y things aren’t my favorite; I’d much rather have chocolate fudge cake or pudding or ice cream or coconut butter pancakes. So most of these went to my extremely-grateful friends. I just had fun making them! And a TON of fun taking photos and posting about them!

11. The recipe was sooo worth the wait. How cute and colorful. Love love love!

12. Ashley says:

Ahhh, these look great!! I’ve been meaning to try making a GF donut..will have to try soon!

1. Sarah C says:

Me too! I’ve missed doughnuts on a gluten-free diet!

1. bob says:

Me three! I made these ones (http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/2012/05/chocolate-doughnuts-with-or-without-egg.html) two days ago…and had to make more to freeze for snacks as they were all gone before I got some in the freezer!

I can’t wait to see how my version CCK’s ones turn out = )

13. Gracie says:

Oh nooo you did not! 🙂 A combination of cake batter and doughnuts is pretty much my idea of heaven, hahaha. Reason #685 why you’re one of my favorite people!! Xoxo G

1. You know I love you right back, right?

And I most definitely didn’t forget to give you a shout out… I’m just trying to put it into a post so it’s not just some tiny afterthought squeezed in at the end of a post that no one will click on!

14. Hela says:

not the first one to say this, but WOW!!! some of the most beautiful pictures you have ever posted!! they so make me wanna go into my kitchen and make some! I bet they are delicious!

1. Aww that made me smile so much!

15. Mia says:

Those look beautiful! I’m so happy I actually have a donut pan. Will be making these soon!

16. Leashieloo says:

Don’t mind me, I’m just drooling all over the keyboard!

1. Sarah C says:

Ewww lol! But me too! 😉

17. Gen says:

Yuuuum!!!!! Will be making some doughnut holes soon!!!

18. beccah says:

you.are.a.genius!! you can also bake it in a lightly oiled pie pan and then cut them out using cookie/biscuit cutters.

1. beccah says:

do NOT use more then a 1/2 t oil to oil the pan though and they turn out more sponger dense

1. Ooo that sounds fun! Doughnut biscuits!

19. Jess says:

brilliant; i would have had one this morning, bu alas; i didn’t have time to wait for the post. maybe friday, when I don’t have finals? 🙂