Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Healthy Glazed Doughnuts

Dear Sprinkles,

So happy you liked the Cake-Batter Doughnuts!

I didn’t wanna overwhelm you all with too much info yesterday… especially with your brains being on a sprinkle high and all. Therefore, I saved my icing ideas for a separate post. Starting with a new recipe:

It’s a healthy glazed doughnut!
With g-lazy glaze. Emphasis on the lazy.

G-lazy Glaze
(Completely free of added sugar!)

• 2 tbsp mashed banana (30g)
  • 2 tbsp unrefined coconut oil (Read below for fat-free options)

Combine the two ingredients, and melt. (I used a microwave for 14 seconds.) Then stir stir stir… keep stirring for at least a minute, until the watery mess turns thick and paste-y like frosting.

Then spread on the tops of your Healthy Cake Doughnuts.

This makes enough to glaze all six doughnuts… providing you don’t eat half the recipe off the spoon as you ice! You can eat immediately, or stick doughnuts in the fridge if you want glaze to harden. For those of you watching your fat intakes: You can, of course, omit the coconut oil and simply slather some melted banana on your doughnuts! Or maybe replace some or all of the oil with milk? Or, here are some other frosting ideas:

Why not join the dark side, with Chocolate-Fudge Frosting?

This recipe is also sugar-free.

Other frosting ideas:

1. Cheesecake Mousse
2. cinnamon-sugar or powdered sugar
3. Peanut Butter Frosting
4. coconut butter, melted chocolate, pb, jelly, etc.
5. Banana Butter

Or you can use a simple sugar glaze: whip powdered sugar with a little milk and vanilla extract. And, of course, you can always top your doughnut with sprinkles ;).

How would you frost your healthy doughnuts?

As I mentioned yesterday, you can also use Vanilla-Fudge Frosting.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. McKella says:

Those look SO good. I think I’d frost mine with the chocolate fudge, or straight-up coconut butter. Can’t go wrong with chocolate and coconut.

2. Emily says:

Hmmm peanut butter and banana I think! :)

3. I would probably make a chocolate donut and frost it like Emily-peanut butter banana! The BEST combo EVER!!!

4. Lenna says:

Such a clever ideas for frosting! No more ugly sugar-loaded frostings:)

5. Katie – these doughnut recipes you have been giving us are the jam! I am loving every single one and seriously considering purchasing a doughnut pan.. even though I can make them without!

1. LOL I love how you said “the jam.” :)

6. I’d probably use PB, melted chocolate or mashed banana (no icky coconut in there though) :)

AND…. I love doughnuts…..

p.s.. SERIOUSLY loving the doughnut theme going on!.. wait can it be spelled donut too?… I usually do ‘donut’ cuz the other spelling takes more time to type out… lazy much?

1. Yeah, doughnut, donut… who cares how it’s SPELLED as long as ti tastes good!

8. Chad says:

A healthy glazed donut? You are a genius. We should replace the statue of liberty with a giant statue of you holding up one of these donuts. That’s how awesome it is.

1. Awwwww lol! Can the doughnut be real, though, (not stone) so I can eat it? 😉

9. I love it!! :)
    Now let’s have a donut party!!

10. VEGirl says:

I would frost my donuts with nut butter. Then I would add cocoa powder to peanut butter and spread that on— ahhh, nuff said.

11. VeggieGirl says:

I’d frost my doughnuts with Nutella. I know, so healthy 😉

12. Lisa says:

yum! these look delicious., Katie!!! I am craving something sweet today :) :)

13. Why yes I think I will frost my donuts. The healthy glaze sounds so delicious. I LOVE doughnuts!

14. My mom’s birthday is next week and my dad always picks up donuts for breakfast birthdays. Wouldn’t it be AMAZING if I could make homemade ones?!

I just don’t think they’d turn out well without a donut pan! I could probably put the batter in a ziploc, cut a hole in the corner and pipe a donut shape, maybe I’ll try that!

15. kspar66 says:

Wow, katie, epic! so cool that you’ve added donuts to your repertoire. They look so delish and I love the simplicity of the glaze! I like the idea of crusty glaze so i’ll def be putting mine in the fridge. I’ll use a flax egg and let you know how it is!
    I probably won’t get to make them until next week when i am free as a bird after my finals!! hope your schoolyear wraps up well..maybe you should bring your professors some donuts! It would be fun to put these in a box w/ parchment paper and bring them somewhere, you know like how business people pick up a dozen donuts for the office or whatever? And be like surprise! vegan and healthy, yayyayayay!
    xoxoxo katy

1. Haha maybe they’d give me bonus points on my tests?

16. Nikita says:

I have yet to try a healthy donut recipe but these are super tempting! I don’t have a donut pan so I guess I’m just imagining a huge mess… But that’s part of the fun, right?

1. Haha yes! And you can lick your fingers!

17. Elle says:

ooh, i would frost mine with chocolate coconut butter. i love that stuff!

18. Does the first one taste like banana or coconut or just sweet?

1. Hmmm… more like banana. Like caramelized banana! :)

19. Glaze-y! I love it! Looks so simple and delish :)

20. Hannah says:

Katie you are amazing:)

21. i see a career for you. seriously.

22. Stephanie says:

Your G-lazy Glaze looked a little bit like apple sauce when I first saw it. Btw, if you haven’t tried it yet, warm apple sauce with cinnamon = the on pancakes. Once I get my donut pan, which will hopefully be soon, I’m going to make these bad boys. They look too good (er, bad? Hah) to resist!

23. I would frost them with cream cheese, butter, powered sugar and a cream based glaze. That would take the healthy right out, huh :)

Seriously love the sugar free recipes and healthy factor…I just, well, love my sugar. haha!

24. i can’t even get over the brilliance of these recipes you come up with! i want to try them ALL!

25. Ahhh sounds so good! I love the idea of mixing the banana with the oil:) Perhaps it would work well with coconut butter? Coconut butter has a frosting texture in and of itself!

1. Yup… then it’s more like my vanilla-fudge frosting.

26. I normally don’t go for anything on my donuts, however, I made apple danishes today that I put a little powder sugar glaze on some and a little figgy peanut butter on the others. I love the idea of the banana and coconut butter!

27. kate says:

I have never been a doughnut fan because they are usually greasy and sugary but these look cakey and amazing and that frosting is genius!! Love your recipes :)

28. Omg these are amazing!!! I’m such a sucker for donuts, I was literally telling my bf the other day how I wanted to go to Krispy Kreme for a warm glazed donut. Yummm

29. vivoir says:

Katie I thought of you earlier! I was in a shop that sold fudge and they did lemon meringue fudge and raspberry torte fudge (with freeze dried raspberries in it!)

One for you to try?!! Ahem… major hinting at a recipe creation there 😉

Plus, bananas and coconut… oh do I sense a little bit of heaven!!

1. Mmmm ok, I need some freeze-dried raspberries!!!

30. I think I’m gong to try the glaze with milk! Hopefully it will turn out. Also, I’m definitely going to be trying that cheesecake mousse..yummy!

31. What cute little donuts! And that frosting is genius! I have a mini-doughnut pan, so I should totally get on that!

32. Dee D. says:

that looks SOOOO good!
    the frosting is absolutely genius! Something i need to try!

33. Vicki says:

Wowww, they look delicious! The healthy glaze sounds amazing.

I was wondering though, do you blur your photos instead of using aperture?

1. Hey Vicki!
      I sometimes do use the aperture priority… but sadly I don’t seem to be very good at teaching myself photography. I’ve heard that a good photograph is one where you don’t need to edit it much at all, and this isn’t the case with my photos. I ALWAYS have to fix the tone, color balance, and sharpness. I’d really like to find a real photographer (or someone who knows what he/she is doing!) to give me some pointers in the right direction!
      (Sorry to ramble! In short: I sometimes get that blurred look with the camera, alone. But usually, it’s thanks to photoshop, which is the case in these two photos today.)

34. I might like to dunk my healthy donut in oatgurts (!

I would also love a peanut butter topping on a chocolate donut!

35. BroccoliHut says:

Do you think the glaze would work with coconut butter instead of coconut oil?? I’m always looking for excuses to eat more coconut butter:)

36. Amy says:

Banana as glaze, that’s a great idea!
    I love checking your blog to see the next great idea you came up with!

37. My absolute favorite donuts are the double chocolate cake donuts from Dunkin Donuts which I haven’t had in yeaarsss!

38. Dalai Lina says:

Is there anything wrong with eating the chocolate fudge frosting with a spoon? Screw the donut.

1. Hahaha I’m with you! Personally I don’t even like chocolate cake… because it doesn’t taste rich enough and CHOCOLATE-y enough. I’d rather just have the chocolate frosting!

39. As if healthy donuts weren’t enough! Now you’re giving us healthy glaze!?! Katie! You’ve out done yourself! Now if only I could find a donut pan…..

40. Tara says:

I love glazed donuts! I just need to get my hands on a donut pan. It’s on my wishlist!
    I would top mine with the glaze or frosting and then cover it in shredded coconut. Yum!

41. OK I need to hop on this homemade donut bandwagon…fast! I think I might try the muffin/donut hole version, because I don’t have a donut pan…yet. Thanks for the recipe, Katie!

42. Clair says:

Ohh…thank you thank you for the glaze recipe! I’ve been wondering how I can recreate that fantastic texture and look without added sugar. Can’t wait to try it.

43. emma says:

Donuts were Jesus’ fave food you know!……why? because they’re Holy! 😉 LOVE THEM!!

1. hahaha have you seen Harry Potter, Emma?
      Fred: I’m saintlike. I’m holy. :)

44. Kristie says:

I’m SO excited that you’re cranking out healthy donuts. I’ve never been the biggest lover of TRADITIONAL donuts… but healthified ones I can definitely do with. And your idea of a banana-based glaze is deeeeelectable. I can’t wait to try these!

45. Megan says:

I think a dark chocolate donut would be fabulous…perhaps with some sort of raspberry frosting. Do you think it is possible to make a vegan ganache?

1. Hehe I think you can veganize anything these days! Here are two recipes I found (one has soy margarine, the second does not).

46. omg have you ever watched the glaze at a doughnut factory? the wall of sugar. this looks less nauseating

1. ahaha yes, at Krispy Kreme!

47. Mmm! Love your lazy girl glaze! I would, strike that AM totally making these this weekend!!

48. Karen says:

I have made some doughnuts from Mama Pea’s site and when I saw your cheesecake mousse I started thinking about the possibility of filling the doughnuts – it would probably work to pipe 1/2 the doughnut, pipe a little bit of filling then the other 1/2 of filling on top. Or perhaps to just sprinkle something in the middle like chocolate pieces or something???

1. Oh my stars, that sounds amazing! Cheesecake doughnuts! Wow, you’re a culinary genius!

49. Simona says:

Just made your coconut-banana glaze for some blueberry pancakes and my husband loved them. So delicious!!! Thanks for the recipe.

50. Ana says:

Is Unrefined coconut oil really important? I only have LouAna all natural coconut Oil.

1. Refined won’t harden when cold.

51. Queen Mommy says:

This is really good! I was worried the banana might be overpowering, but the coconut-banana together was deliciously pleasant.

52. Anonymous says:

they look so sugary but theyre not! GIVE ME ONE RIGHT NOW!!!

53. Sandy says:

Hi, I was wondering about a substitution for tofu in your “favorite” pie recipe? I can’t eat soy and was trying to think what might mimic the texture and firmness of the tofu? I’d appreciate any feedback, thanks so much! Keep up your wonderful blog, it’s good to know I can still eat things that make me happy while watching my health improve :-)

54. Christine says:

This glaze did not work for me at all :( I kept stirring and stirring, and the bananas would just not un-lump. I even through it into my chopper to try to blend it out, with no luck. Had to pour it down the dream. And a jar of unrefined coconut oil was $12 for me! What a shame.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It sounds like you did something wrong. If you put a banana in a blender, there’s no way it won’t pulverize. Of course it will blend! Unless you got a really BAD banana!

55. Carolee says:

I bought a doughnut silicone bakeware that I love! I got it off amazon & the doughnuts just pop out. AND, I just roll it up for easier storage. I feel it’s a bit healthier than the Teflon coated, but I love the ease of storage!! (I also have the mini-muffins, cake, loaf, brownie, etc.).

56. Abella says:

Hi! I absolutely LOVE your recipes, but there’s just one problem- I hate (emphasis on hate) bananas (I know, I know- I’m crazy). I really want to make this, but is there any way to substitute the bananas? Or do you not taste the bananas?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Hi, just use the glaze on her “healthy krispy kreme” recipe page instead :-)