Healthy Glazed Doughnuts

Dear Sprinkles,

So happy you liked the Cake-Batter Doughnuts!

I didn’t wanna overwhelm you all with too much info yesterday… especially with your brains being on a sprinkle high and all. Therefore, I saved my icing ideas for a separate post. Starting with a new recipe:

doughnutglaze2

It’s a healthy glazed doughnut!
With g-lazy glaze. Emphasis on the lazy.

doughnutglaze

G-lazy Glaze
(Completely free of added sugar!)

• 2 tbsp mashed banana (30g)
  • 2 tbsp unrefined coconut oil (Read below for fat-free options)

Combine the two ingredients, and melt. (I used a microwave for 14 seconds.) Then stir stir stir… keep stirring for at least a minute, until the watery mess turns thick and paste-y like frosting.

Then spread on the tops of your Healthy Cake Doughnuts.

This makes enough to glaze all six doughnuts… providing you don’t eat half the recipe off the spoon as you ice! You can eat immediately, or stick doughnuts in the fridge if you want glaze to harden. For those of you watching your fat intakes: You can, of course, omit the coconut oil and simply slather some melted banana on your doughnuts! Or maybe replace some or all of the oil with milk? Or, here are some other frosting ideas:

chocolate-spread

Why not join the dark side, with Chocolate-Fudge Frosting?

This recipe is also sugar-free.

frost

Other frosting ideas:

1. Cheesecake Mousse
2. cinnamon-sugar or powdered sugar
3. Peanut Butter Frosting
4. coconut butter, melted chocolate, pb, jelly, etc.
5. Banana Butter

Or you can use a simple sugar glaze: whip powdered sugar with a little milk and vanilla extract. And, of course, you can always top your doughnut with sprinkles ;).

How would you frost your healthy doughnuts?

As I mentioned yesterday, you can also use Vanilla-Fudge Frosting.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. McKella says:

Those look SO good. I think I’d frost mine with the chocolate fudge, or straight-up coconut butter. Can’t go wrong with chocolate and coconut.

2. Emily says:

Hmmm peanut butter and banana I think! 🙂

3. Lenna says:

Such a clever ideas for frosting! No more ugly sugar-loaded frostings:)

4. Katie – these doughnut recipes you have been giving us are the jam! I am loving every single one and seriously considering purchasing a doughnut pan.. even though I can make them without!

1. LOL I love how you said “the jam.” 🙂

5. I LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOUI LOVE YOU

AND…. I love doughnuts…..
    PERFECT

p.s.. SERIOUSLY loving the doughnut theme going on!.. wait can it be spelled donut too?… I usually do ‘donut’ cuz the other spelling takes more time to type out… lazy much?

1. Yeah, doughnut, donut… who cares how it’s SPELLED as long as ti tastes good!

6. Chad says:

A healthy glazed donut? You are a genius. We should replace the statue of liberty with a giant statue of you holding up one of these donuts. That’s how awesome it is.

1. Awwwww lol! Can the doughnut be real, though, (not stone) so I can eat it? 😉

7. I love it!! 🙂
    Now let’s have a donut party!!

8. VEGirl says:

I would frost my donuts with nut butter. Then I would add cocoa powder to peanut butter and spread that on— ahhh, nuff said.

9. VeggieGirl says:

I’d frost my doughnuts with Nutella. I know, so healthy 😉

10. Lisa says:

yum! these look delicious., Katie!!! I am craving something sweet today 🙂 🙂

11. Why yes I think I will frost my donuts. The healthy glaze sounds so delicious. I LOVE doughnuts!

12. My mom’s birthday is next week and my dad always picks up donuts for breakfast birthdays. Wouldn’t it be AMAZING if I could make homemade ones?!

I just don’t think they’d turn out well without a donut pan! I could probably put the batter in a ziploc, cut a hole in the corner and pipe a donut shape, maybe I’ll try that!

13. kspar66 says:

Wow, katie, epic! so cool that you’ve added donuts to your repertoire. They look so delish and I love the simplicity of the glaze! I like the idea of crusty glaze so i’ll def be putting mine in the fridge. I’ll use a flax egg and let you know how it is!
    I probably won’t get to make them until next week when i am free as a bird after my finals!! hope your schoolyear wraps up well..maybe you should bring your professors some donuts! It would be fun to put these in a box w/ parchment paper and bring them somewhere, you know like how business people pick up a dozen donuts for the office or whatever? And be like surprise! vegan and healthy, yayyayayay!
    xoxoxo katy

1. Haha maybe they’d give me bonus points on my tests?

14. Does the first one taste like banana or coconut or just sweet?

1. Hmmm… more like banana. Like caramelized banana! 🙂

15. Hannah says:

Katie you are amazing:)

16. Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free says:

I would probably make a chocolate donut and frost it like Emily-peanut butter banana! The BEST combo EVER!!!

17. i see a career for you. seriously.

18. Holly @ The Runny Egg says:

I’d probably use PB, melted chocolate or mashed banana (no icky coconut in there though) 🙂

19. Stephanie says:

Your G-lazy Glaze looked a little bit like apple sauce when I first saw it. Btw, if you haven’t tried it yet, warm apple sauce with cinnamon = the bomb.com on pancakes. Once I get my donut pan, which will hopefully be soon, I’m going to make these bad boys. They look too good (er, bad? Hah) to resist!

20. i can’t even get over the brilliance of these recipes you come up with! i want to try them ALL!