Junk Belly

I didn’t think anything could make me feel better.

But reading the comments on yesterday’s post did make me smile.

Well, some of them made me cry, but in a constructive way; sometimes it’s good to cry. I was so incredibly moved by your outpouring of kindness and support. Reading the heartfelt comments, tweets, emails, and facebook messages helped so much. The “Rainbow Bridge” poem (left by two commenters) especially made me cry. In a perfect world, none of us would have to go through this, and I felt so sad reading your personal stories… but at the same time, they made me happy, because it means other pets have brought similar amounts of love and joy to you as Molly did to me.

Tomorrow, I’ll get back to posting recipes (next up: healthy chocolate cupcakes). Hopefully blogging will help distract me from all of this pain and sadness I still feel. For today, though, I thought I’d do one more tribute post to Molly. Goodness knows, she deserves a million.

Molly’s Choices

Obviously, I didn’t really feed Molly any of the following recipes.

But each centers around ingredients Molly adored—zucchini (in the cream pie), peanut butter, pumpkin, and especially raw carrots. You won’t find any chocolate on this page (chocolate is bad for dogs), although Molly probably would’ve eaten it if we’d given her some. She wasn’t one to turn down food… she even ate kale stems!

carrot-shake

Carrot Cake Milkshake

rcc

Raw Coconut Cream Pie

parfait

Pumpkin Pie Mousse

pbbites

3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Balls

berry

Voluminous Oatmeal

Once again, Molly didn’t eat these recipes, but she loved the ingredients around which they center. Did you know oatmeal is good for dogs? It’s true; Molly even had oatmeal shampoo!

molly6

Above, Molly checks out a cauliflower the size of her head. She really did love her veggies.

Then again…

If I wanted to really be true with this list, I’d also have to include: dried worms, dead grass, milkbones, crickets and red ants. (Actually, Molly only ate red ants and crickets as a puppy. After the ant incident, when we took her to the vet, she was diagnosed with the professional term of “Junk Belly.”) Molly was the real foodie in the house; she’d try anything! Smile

What are your pets’ favorite foods?
And do they ever eat anything strange? Or have you ever eaten anything strange?

When my grandma came, she’d try to sneak Molly all sorts of things like pretzels and omelets. But other than a few pieces of veggies every now and then, Molly mostly stuck to dog food… and those dried worms on the sidewalk (we tried to keep her away). I still don’t know why she liked them! As for me, I swallowed a penny once, when I was two. Oops.

1. Molly liked peanut butter, pumpkin and veggies?! A dog after my own heart! Although maybe not the dried worms and stuff…! 😛

My doggie LOVES salad!! Whenever Buddy even hears me getting out the chopping board he comes running haha! So I guess he and Molly were soul mates :)

Love you Katie! Sending prayers and hugs and love your way <3 <3 <3

2. I’m so sorry to hear about your dog, Molly. I lost my dog, Noodles (a huge german shepard) when I was a senior in high school and I was absolutely broken by the events.

Currently, I have 2 german shepards, Boomer and Sheba. Since I am a vegetarian they normally turn up their snouts at my food, but recently I figured out that Boomer loves carrots and Sheba will eat frozen broccoli! Strange but true!

3. I must have missed yesterday’s post, but I am so sorry for your loss. This is a beautiful little homage to her, though.

I’ve never had pets (allergies) but the dog next door used to eat EVERYTHING. I remember at our annual 4th of July parties she would be eating chips and drinking beer (fed to her of course, lol).

4. I missed the post yesterday. Katie, my friend, I am truly sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family. I know this is hard as we lost our little girl two years ago and still hurt from it. knowing that your pup is in a better place (even if you miss such a great companion) is hard, but hopefully eases some of the pain. I am sending my love, hugs and thoughts all your way!

5. Emily says:

Our pup eats sugar snap peas… She’s an oddball! As for me, now that I think about it a lot of what I eat would be considered strange to my friends but completely normal in the foodie blog world: nooch, chia seeds, cashew cream etc. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten anything that wasn’t food but I once stuck a coffee bean up my nose… That was an experience to say the least.

6. can i just say that Molly was one smart dog!? she picked the BEST THINGS!! my dog loves PEANUT BUTTER! and I always give him my jar to lick clean when i finish one.. which is like once a week- he sure is lucky!

7. Kate says:

I am so sorry about your puppy I know how it feels to lose a pet they are irreplaceable but I always try to think of all the joy they brought into my life. The recipes look delish and I love the picture of her with cauliflower :) hope you have a beautiful blessed day!

8. Lauren says:

So sorry about Molly. Dogs are definitely family. It’s sad when they die, but it’s also hard to see them hurt. I know that was a hard decision to make. I’m sure Molly is in heaven hiding in and out of the clouds and watching you.

We have 2 dogs. They like to hunt ‘woodland creatures’. Rabbits, moles, voles, birds. Our bigger dog, Dixie, thinks she can get the ‘big metal birds’ (airplanes) out of the sky…I think that’s pretty strange, lol. :-) Our other dog, a hound named Copper, likes to hang out around our 2 year old hoping he drops his meals and snacks. She’s eaten Gerber puffs, and other baby and toddler food. :-)

9. Hela says:

aw, that was a super sweet post about Molly! I would love to hear some more stories about her.
    My guinea-pig LOVED chocolate, mashed potatoes, watermelon and oranges. She also adored peanuts 😉 Once, a bar of chocolate was laying on the floor in my room, where she would run around, and she ate her way through the packaging to get to the chocolate!!! And she wouldn´t let go when I tried to take it away from her… She really had an extraordinary taste in food. But of course, we would feed her grass, hay, veggies and pet food and NOT giving in to her desires 😉

10. Wow! My dog (now deceased) would never ever touch vegetables. haha If a little bit got into her bowl with other leftovers, there it would stay until we cleaned it out.

11. Karla says:

Dear Katie, I am so sorry for your loss. Your sweet puppy was lucky to have such a great family that loved her so much!
    My new puppy maeby really loves veggies too! Carrots, zucchini, sweet potatoes. She likes veggies more than my boyfriend!!!

12. Jenny says:

I wish I could have commented yesterday. I’m going to echo Karla: I’m so, so, from the bottom of my heart, sorry for your loss. I didn’t have the fortune of knowing your dog, your pet, but above all your friend – just as I don’t have the fortune of knowing you, personally – but I’d bet anything that you’re right: Molly deserves a dedication a million times over.

My family’s pet was put to sleep two years ago, so I can relate to your loss. I am amazed at your strength to even share it with the world, and to do anything but cry. I still have to say, though, that if you were to take a break from blogging in any case, I’d like to believe that NO ONE would hold it against you. All I did for several days after my dog’s death was mope around all blotchy faced… I have great respect for you and your ability to write such wonderful dedications to Molly. This was also a lovely post. You were both so lucky to have each other. :)

I’ll admit that my dog wasn’t a vegetarian, haha, and his favourite food was probably chicken… He loved carrots and sweet potatoes, as well, but hated grapes. (I’m not sure, but I don’t think they’re good for dogs anyway…?) My mom made all his meals and believed that he should eat like we do! … Minus a few obvious things, of course (like chocolate).

13. Lilly says:

My dog, Buddy, used to adore carrots so much! He was also gluten free haha his skin turned pink and got all itchy if he ate gluten. Since we was white, when he got a reaction you could def see it – a pink looking pitbull was a pretty funny sight :)

14. Ragnhild says:

My dog used to LOVE raw carrots too. When we where chopping them for dinner or whatever, he always came to the kitchen when he heard that sound, even when he was sleeping! He was so cute!
    I love that even after he died, I have all these wonderful memories with him! I think of him everyday, and it always puts a smaile on my face!

15. Jane Plaass says:

I have no pets now, but we did while I was growing up. Our dog loved to crunch on dried pasta. Our geese liked to eat cooked spaghetti. They would toss in the air and catch it on the way down. And I’ve seen a neighborhood cat eat corn on the cob out of the compost bin!

16. Jennifer JCD says:

Another lovely tribute post. Take it easy, Katie. Molly will always be a happy memory. :)

We don’t have dogs, but one of our cats LOVES chickpeas. To the point of jumping up on our laps or the table and stealing them off our spoon when we are trying to eat them. He’s kind of like Molly though – he’ll eat anything it seems – but we think chickpeas must be his favourite.

17. Glad you are able to crack smile. Every day will get easier, sweetie!

18. I’m so sorry to hear about Molly :( Please try to remember all the great times you had with her!

I used to have a lovebird that was the sweetest thing and literally thought he was a human being. He liked to sit with us at dinner under one of our dining chairs that had a perch and he loved sitting on our shoulders when we watched tv. And he loved chili peppers! It was so interesting how the spicy-ness didn’t affect him at all.

Take care, Katie!!

19. Lissy says:

For our wedding favors, we filled little jars full of purple and silver hershey kisses. Well, shortly after Princess’ surgery, I heard a noise coming from my bedroom. Princess was standing on a chair and had her head in the bag of kisses eating them, foil and all. She must have ate like a quarter of the bag. My parents called the vet and they just laughed. She’s a big dog, so she could eat quite a lot of chocolate before it hurt her.
    She also at my bottle of prescription vitamins when we were both little 😀

Buffy ate quite a bit of a tennis ball once. We wouldn’t have known except there was an ick factor after…

20. Lenna says:

My three cats love cucumbers and watermelons. They are actually able to eat a whole melon in one sitting! :) Molly with the cauliflower is so cute. Hope you are well girl!