Voluminous Vanilla Ice Cream

If you’re on a diet:

You will love this recipe because it makes a gigantic serving for only 40 calories. (Seriously, the serving is huge.) Who eats a 1/2 cup serving of ice cream anways? 😕

If you’re not on a diet:

You will love this recipe because you can up the calories by making it into a brownie sundae, by pouring on chocolate syrup, or by opting for the peanut butter version. Yes, there is a peanut butter version.

icecreamsundae2

Above: a sundae with an Ultimate Fudge Brownie.

Really, I’m obsessed with those brownies. As for the ice cream: it could not be easier to make, and there are unlimited variations—you can add coffee, mint extract, fruit, chocolate chips… I haven’t even begun to try out all the combinations I’ve dreamed up for this incredibly-versatile recipe.

ice

Volume Ice Cream

(Makes 1 huge serving)

• 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract (or about 1/4 of a vanilla bean, sliced lengthwise and scraped out)
  • 1/16 tsp salt (trust me)
  • sweetener (such as 1-2 stevia packets or 1-2 tbsp sugar)
  • 1 cup almond milk (I used unsweetened Silk. See below for substitution notes.)
  • optional: add-ins such as fruit, peanut butter, or extracts

Mix the ingredients together in 1 or 2 shallow plastic containers. Freeze. (You could also use an ice cube tray.) Once frozen, pop the blocks out of the container (I thaw for 30 seconds in the microwave first) and blend in your Vita-Mix. (If you don’t have a vita-mix, you’ll probably have to thaw longer, but you can still get a yummy ice milk.)

View Nutritional Information

This ice cream—when made with almond milk—has a very light texture (perfect for summer). For a creamier texture that’s more like real ice cream, try using at least 1/4c canned coconut milk (or maybe even creamer?). You can, of course, also sub other non-dairy milks for the almond. But if you do this, play around with the amount of vanilla extract, sweetener, and add-ins. (For example, an already-sweetened milk will probably need less added sweetener.) To make it look like real ice cream, scoop out with an ice-cream scoop.

Warning:

This is an extremely voluminous recipe, so if you’re like me and need to watch that you don’t get full before you’ve taken in enough calories, I recommend eating this as part of a sundae or adding some extras to the basic recipe. ‘Cause it will fill you right up!

chocolate-chip-cookie-pie

This goes really well with Deep-Dish Cookie Pie.

Just thought I’d throw that out there. I couldn’t pass up an opportunity to use that photo, since it’s one of my favorites.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! perfect for summer AND i totally thought u were gna pull out the ice cream maker which i do not have!! LOVE YOU

2. Jennifer JCD says:

I’m in love with chocoalte chip cookie dough ice cream. My husband likes chocolate brownie ice cream with chocolate sauce and chocolate chips and chocolate sprinkles – your variation above would have him insta-drooling.

Ah… and perfect timing too… the weather up here is getting hot! (Yes, I think 22C/72F is HOT.) I always wondered how freezing soymilk and then tossing it in the Vita-Mix would turn out… thanks for answering that question! Mmm… can’t wait to try this.

1. Let me see if I’ve counted correctly… there are exactly FOUR types of chocolate in your husband’s favorite ice cream? I wonder if he is somehow related to me… 🙂

1. Jennifer JCD says:

I often wonder if he is… because that would make us cousins somehow and that would be awesome!

2. Only 22 Celsius?? Here in Thailand, 40 Celsius is the average temperature all year round (we only have two seasons here: sunny or rainy).

Looks great Katie! 🙂 Since I don’t have an ice-cream machine (yet), I will definitely be trying soon.

3. PHEW i am SO glad theres no oce cream maker involved!! I’ve ne’er been able to make it cos of that! Aah I can’t WAIT to make this!! Mmm I’m thinknig chocolate soymilk and peanut butter…drool… Seriously I am SO excited about this!!

Fave flavour? Cookie dough. I haven’t had that since becoming a vegan so I think thisneeds to change now! 😀

1. had to jump on this one because 1) i too have never tried to make ice cream myself because i haven’t ever been able to use one of those actual ice cream makers and thus don’t own one and 2) chocolate chip cookie dough is my fav kind of ice cream! actually, that Ben & Jerry’s Half Baked….ya, i’ll power through a whole pint. just like u said, katie, who the heck is satisfied with a measly 1/2 cup?!?! so i’m gonna have to try and make my own and hope i don’t muck it up somehow with my kitchen lameness. i have a question though and this may sound dumb: do u think the best way to go about the cookie dough part would be to make the ice cream, make a bunch of your cookie dough balls separately, and then add them in? or do u think there is a way to try working in that cookie dough dip with the ice cream step? again, sorry if this sounds like a really obvious question! one again, thanks for the recipes!

1. I’d definitely add them later. Otherwise, when you pulverize, the cookie dough bits will be pulverized too and you won’t have separate chunks of cookie dough. But then again, that might taste delicious! It wouldn’t be cookie dough ice cream because there’d be no separate cookie dough pieces… but it might taste even better!

1. okay, duh, that should have been obvious. sorry! but thanks so much for letting me know anyways!! 😛

4. I LOVE mocha chip/cappuccino ice cream, matcha ice-cream, red bean ice cream and most favourite– Cookie Dough ice cream!!! Will make it tomorrow! And I agree with Emma– thanks for giving us this wonderful recipe that doesn’t require an ice cream maker! 😀

5. Very COOL 🙂 I will have to get some Vanilla Milk or something to give this a try!! I love Mint Choc ice cream ( so all your spinach ice cream and mint recipes are a definete fav of mine)

6. I’ve been waiting for this recipe!! “YUM!!” is all I can say 🙂

My favorite ice cream flavor? Extra dark chocolate chocolate chip. Yep, chocolate all the way for me 😀 Although I did have this amazing banana pudding ice cream once, raspberry holds a special place in my heart, and I tried a vegan strawberry gelato that tasted EXACTLY like strawberry cake! Still, chocolate ranks number one 😉

<3 <3

7. Tricia says:

yummy that looks delish :). I don’t think that my blender would like frozen almond milk, but we’re planning on getting a new blender anyways.

8. Megan says:

YUM. This looks amazing! I am thinking cookies and cream or strawberry “cheesecake”…
    Thanks for the recipes!

9. krickit6 says:

My favorite has always been good ole’ vanilla with rainbow sprinkles 🙂 This looks perfect to me!!

Now, I really need to get a VitaMix… 😀

Thanks, Katie!! BTW, the pic of ice cream on deep dish cookie pie looks AWESOME! 🙂

10. Barb says:

i am trying this the minute I get home from work today! I bet it would be great also to add in fresh berries before freezing (or blended berries!)

now that it is strawberry picking season, I have so many fresh strawberries! do you think that you would be able to create some fantastic strawberry (or other berry) deserts?! what fruit goes better with chocolate than strawberries 😉

1. I’m definitely planning on making some strawberry shortcake pancakes in the near future! 🙂

11. Holy Moly! This looks amazing! I might be making this today! My favorite flavor is cookies and cream! Delish! Although, there used to be this little cafe where I grew up that made the most amazing peanut butter ice cream! I have not found a suitable replacement since 🙁

12. Sarah says:

I LOVE ice cream this time of year. Once again, you are a genius!

13. I think you have struck gold! I have also done this.. b ut I blend 1/2 a banana and some almond milk & vanilla in my magic bullet.. and then freeze it.. and eat it like an italian ice!!

14. Bekah says:

Genius! I can’t wait to make it!

15. I think my 2-year-old’s reaction to that top picture sums it up: “Oh, wowee, look at that!” 🙂

16. cookie dough. yup. definitely cookie dough.

17. Oh, lordy, that looks amazing! Think I may make some tonight! Do you think I could pour the mixture into my ice cream maker to freeze it?

1. Honestly, I don’t know anything about ice cream makers! 😕
      I really should dig mine outta the garage and play with it. I remember making an awesome pb-banana ice cream from the cookbook, Voluptuous Vegan, once!

18. Tine says:

Oh, I like this recipe!
    Unfortunately, my food processor broke down while blending frozen bananes for a vice cream…
    Is a Vitamix better and stronger?

1. Yes, it’s MUCH more powerful than your average food processor. You can turn frozen fruit into “ice cream” without even adding any liquid!

1. Tine says:

Thanks! I really have to buy one!

19. Jenny says:

For me, it really depends on the actual ice cream brand or store. There’s an AMAZING ice cream company in Canada called Cows, and they have THE best bubblegum ice cream on the face of the Earth. All of their other flavours are flipping delicious, too, of course, but their bubblegum is undoubtedly the best. If it’s So Delicious, though, which I regularly enjoy, I like the Chocolate Obsession with chocolate chips and chocolate syrup swirls. 🙂 I’ve been looking for their chocolate chip cookie dough one, though, since that is another flavour I adore…

Can’t wait to try this recipe out with some dark chocolate almond milk when I’ve got some more space in my freezer! I’m definitely taking you up on your serving suggestion and serving it with a fudge brownie. 😀 Thanks for another great healthy but delicious recipe!

20. Michaela says:

I MUST try this! Thank you so much for this easy recipe! While it was so hot around here the last weeks, I was craving ice cream (no vegan ice cream available where I currently live :() and now I just want to go out and buy some almond milk to try this recipe 🙂 My absolute fav is mint chocolate chip, too. Also, I really like rasperry, yoghurt (I guess you can just add some soy yoghurt and a tiny bit of lemon juice for tang), and vanilla icecream with pb and crashed salted peanuts. Oh yum, I am so gonna make ice cream this week!!