Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Chocolate-Chip Cookie Sandwiches

Way yummier than a whoopie pie!

Love and Basketball

Last Sunday, a local basketball team won their game. No big deal? Happens every day? True. But in this case, the team was the Dallas Mavericks, and the win just so happened to make them NBA champions.

Normally, I don’t follow basketball. (Hockey is my sport!) However, when it’s your city’s team in the finals, you can’t not get excited. It also offers a good excuse to throw a party. And my friends always jump at the chance for a party.

For our “Mavs-watching” party, I made these cookies.

As usual, they were gone almost before I put them down. Seriously, these cookies do not taste healthy. (I know, I say that about a lot of my recipes… but that’s only because it’s true!)

cookies4

Above, my Guilt-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies.

I left most of the cookies plain. But as I was packing them up, I just couldn’t resist having a little fun. And everyone knows that, in the language of food, the word for fun is frosting. (You didn’t know? Well now you do!)

cookies1

Chocolate-Chip Sandwiches!

All it took was food coloring and this surprisingly-vegan frosting.

Okay, so the cookies weren’t really healthy anymore. Eh, but who needs health when you have frosting? (And, as earlier stated, most of the cookies were left unadorned. These few were just for fun!)

cookies2

Cookie Sandwich Ideas

(For your gastronomical pleasure)

Or maybe even marshmallow fluff (Smuckers is vegan) and chocolate chips? Who needs s’mores when you can have cookies? Cookies > graham crackers, yes?

Question of the Day:

What would be in your ultimate cookie sandwich?

Pumpkin? Peanut Butter and Jelly? I just got a new idea that involves bananas. Stay tuned!!

1. Jennifer JCD says:

Mmm… those look delicious! My favourite, hands down, are ice cream sandwiches (chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream)!!

At least your home team won. Our ‘local-ish’ (as in, one provice over) hockey team didn’t win the Stanley Cup and there was rioting in the streets of Vancouver. It was disgraceful and awful. I’m so happy your team won and you could celebrate with style (and happy tummies).

1. I was rooting for them :(
      But I guess it was all for the best… their fans didn’t deserve a winning team. I’m still hoping to see a Canadian team win soon, though!

2. AAAAAH I am SO doing this!!! Best idea EVER Katie!! PB and J…or your vanilla ice cream…OR make an EXTRA batch of your cookies and put raw cookie dough in the middle of the cookies!! I think I need to lie down now 😛

1. I was thinking, what about jelly in between pb cookies?!

3. Albizia says:

Oh, right now I have like a million ideas of cookie sandwiches and I can’t pick any of them for the ultimate cookie sandwich. I’m thinking of caramel cookies with coffee cream, chocolate cookies with banana cream, banana cookies with peanut butter, vanilla cookies with lemon cream, walnut cookies with rose hip marmalade, coconut cookies with chocolate cream… I can go on like this forever but you get the idea – I loooove cookie sandwiches :) .

4. A fun breakfast idea would be healthy oatmeal cookies stuffed with peanut butter frosting! Or the classic vanilla ice cream is always a favorite of mine. Those Big-E ice cream sandwiches are seriously the best.

5. I like the idea of cookie dough sandwiched in between two cookies — I think I saw that on Oh She Glows and it sounded/looked so good!

6. VeggieGirl says:

I love the blue filling! Cookie Monster would love it as well, I bet 😉

I want a cookie sandwich filled with caramel, chocolate… a turtle cookie sandwich?

7. tea-bag says:

my ultimate cookie sandwich: oatmeal cookies w/ an apple filling! like a remix of apple pie! :)

8. Jen says:

The only time I ever really like cookie sandwiches is when there’s ice cream in the middle. Otherwise, I usually think any sort of filling (even peanut butter fillings, *gasp*) overpower the cookie itself. Ice cream…you can’t really ever go wrong with, as far as I’m concerned. The blue frosting looks pretty though! That counts for something! (And most people like extra sweetness. I’m more like you. I would go for the unadorned cookies.)

9. liz says:

those look amazing. These would make great summer icecream sanwiches

10. Filled with Matcha Milk-based ganache with oats + chocolate ganache (YES! Doubly-filled!) Delicious…

11. I LOVe hte MAvs!! I have a SIGNED jersey form Dirk in my ROOM!! AHH.. i used to be SUCH the little baller!
    girl LOVIN these! i so wish I were there when u made these1!!

12. Alyssa says:

Yum!
    I’m not a hockey fan (sorry!), but I grew up in Boston, so I’m pretty psyched for the Bruins.
    And so glad the Mavs won! They deserve it!!!!!

13. I think carrot cake cookies with “cream cheese” icing would be to DIE for!

14. Carrot cookie sandwich with a cream “cheese” icing filling? Maybe you could make walnut cookies and incorporate the carrots into the icing? The orange would look cool!

I made your Blondies last night – OMG they are incredible! I cannot stop eating them. :)

15. Hannah says:

Double chocolate cookies with hazelnut butter frosting and completely coated in either dark chocolate or vegan white chocolate and chopped hazelnuts would be my ultimate sandwich cookie. But your cookies look great, too.

1. Hannah says:

I was trying to figure out what my ultimate sandwich cookie would be, and I think you nailed it right on the head. I guess Hannah’s have similar tastebuds 😉

16. Oh, man, brainstorming is half the fun! I LOVE sweet & salty combinations–something with roasted pistachios and strawberries, maybe? Or another of my favourite pairs, blueberry + lemon poppyseed? Chocolate mocha raspberry? Now I’m craving soy ice cream sandwiches . . . 😛

17. Ooeey gooey brownie batter and walnuts sandwiched between two cookies…yep, there it is!

18. Mmm looks yummy! And yay, go Mavericks!

My ultimate cookie sandwich would be two chocolate chip cookies with peanut butter frosting, bananas and honey in the middle. YUMMY!

19. Emily says:

Peanut butter cookies with banana softserve. Rolled in coconut!

20. Tricia says:

Peanut butter, coconut, and chocolate :) dream.come true

21. Emily says:

Uhh, can you say ICE CREAM?! 😀 And if not that, then I’d do Marshmallow Fluff and peanut butter… the Fluffernutter sandwiches of my youth are still in my mind today 😉

22. Lisa says:

LOL. i love how they are blue- so spring like and cheery! they sound yummy. and really, how can frosting NOT make anything better? :)
    my ultimate sandwich would be 2 peanut butter cookies with peanut butter frosting on the inside and chocolate sauce drizzled all over :)
    have a great friday!!

23. lindsay says:

oh man, too many choices here. All look good. I’d say coconut butter and banana would be a good sandwich!
    LC

24. Gina Flagiello says:

Hey Katie, you should try the chocolate chip cookie sandwiches from Sugar Mama’s bakery on S. 1st street in Austin, if you haven’t already… they are vegan and so so delicious!

1. I need to get back to Austin! It’s four hours from my house, but hey, the drive would be worth it for some cookie sandwiches, right? 😉

25. Kate says:

I hate basketball, but since I live in Dallas, I got excited too. I was even going to go to the parade yesterday but oh my, I saw all those people there on the news…no way, crowds outside in 102 degree heat isn’t my thang :)

Almond butter and a banana melted and mixed together would be firmly my #1 go to in those cookies.

26. This looks amazing! I love the blue colour of the icing! So pretty!!

27. Well a smooshed naner would be amazing :) but I was thinking like mint chocolate frosting, or mint ice cream would taste bomb on these!! They look great!

28. Ann Claire says:

I would definitely put ice cream in my cookie sandwhich and maybe roll it in mini chocolate chips or sprinkes, yum!

29. They look ah-mazing!!!!!

30. Nicole says:

I’m a lurker and decided to finally post! :) Do you happen to have a recipe for black bean brownies, or could you make one? Your desserts look fantastic and I am looking for a good, gooey black bean brownie recipe. Thanks!

1. I don’t have a black bean brownie recipe… and lol I probably won’t do one simply because I’m too in love with my regular brownie recipe to try anything else ;).

But some people say they’ve had success experimenting with black beans and cocoa in my blondie recipe. Edible experiments are always fun, so you can try that if you’re feeling up for an adventure :).

2. Hey Nicole… I made these a couple weeks ago and they were awesome! (http://sugarcoatedsisters.com/2011/06/13/healthy-black-bean-chocolate-muffins/) They are muffins, not really brownies, but they might give you an idea of what black bean desserts taste like :)

– (another) Nicole

1. Nicole says:

Thank you for the responses! And Katie, I plan on baking some of your desserts soon. I just can’t decide which ones, they all look delicious and are healthy!

31. Gen says:

Looove sandwich cookies!!! So cute! 😀

32. So when I show up on your doorstep someday, it’s because I have decided to move in with you so I be your official taste tester. Sound good? 😉

My dream cookie sandwich would have a filling of chocolate mouse and fresh raspberries or vanilla ice cream, toasted coconut, and caramel! 😀 (Or Emma’s idea of raw cookie dough!)

<3 <3

1. *so I can be

*chocolate mousse NOT chocolate mouse, lol

1. As long as you don’t show up empty-handed. You’d better come equipped with chocolate ;).

33. Katie,
    Your posting titles are like poetry to me.
    CCK > Shakespeare
    :-)

1. Maybe that’s ’cause he wrote about death and I write about chocolate? Chocolate > death ;).

1. It’s also because you look better without make-up than he does. hehe

2. LOL! The bird world has it right: the males are the pretty ones (robins, peacocks, mallard ducks…). The girls don’t need to be “made up” probably because they’re awesome on their own. The guys have to look pretty to get the best girls! 😉

34. Molly says:

Although I am a Spurs fan I was so glad to see a fellow Texas team winning! (but of course I didn’t watch the game… I don’t really keep up with a ton of sports)

Those cookies look YUM!

1. Haha I rooted for the Spurs a few years back, when they won! 😉
      Now it’s the opposite!

35. This is so weird, katie! I just wrote a post last night (am scheduling it for tomorrow) about cookie sandwiches, too! So weird…and mine involve bananas, too! Hahaha….ohmygoodness 😀 great minds think alike, huh?

1. Great, chocolate-loving minds! :)
      Excited to see your post.

36. Emily says:

DID YOU SEE CLIF BAR’S TWEET?!

37. that cookie sandwich looks soo yummy!! My ideal cookie sandwich would have a dark chocolate cream with pretzel pieces in the middle. LOOOOVE the combo of salty and sweet!!!

38. Hannah says:

yummm can’t wait to try this!
    When I was younger, my absolute favorite ice cream sandwich was the Toll House chocolate brownie cookies sandwiching mint chocolate chip ice cream. unbelievably good.
    my ideal combination now, though…that’s a tough one…I’ll have to think about it haha

39. What would be in your ultimate cookie sandwich? = some sort of cream cheesey, buttercreamy filling, flanked by two nearly half raw choc chip cookies, and the whole entire thing dipped first into a white chocolate bath, then into a dark chocolate bath. (by this time the sammie is about the size of a baseball…lol)

GREAT work, Katie. Loving the blue interior. So festive :)

40. Mellie says:

I love s’mores made with graham crackers, but you’re right, cookies are better!

41. Moni'sMeals says:

these loook great! My dream sandwich is basically the chewiest cookies with vanilla bean ice cream that is then dipped around the edges in my favorite toppings like toffee and nuts. And a TALL glass of almond milk to dip it right in. :)

42. There is a place in Westwood of LA (by the UCLA campus) and their cookie sandwiches are two cookies with a scoop of premium ice cream in the middle. I think I got their M&M cookies with Cookie Dough Ice Cream in the center… all for $1.50. It was magical!

So I guess my ideal cookie sandwich has fresh ice cream in the middle 😉

43. I would probably have to put dark chocolate peanut butter in mine :)

44. Aja says:

Oh my gosh, I totally had an idea to make cookie sandwiches out of these cookies, but you beat me to it. I’m just too lazy sometimes.

45. My ultimate cookie sandwich would be ice cream :) I can never pass up a good ice cream sandwich.

46. Christena says:

Katie,
    I’ve been following your blog for awhile, but this is my first comment. Tonight I was craving a cupcake/muffin and I made your single lady cupcake. Girl, you are a genius! I used blueberries, 2 T while flour + 1 T almond flour, and 1 T brown sugar for the sweetener (Will probably 1/2 the sweetener next time). Otherwise, I followed your recipe perfectly. My creation didn’t look as pretty as yours, but I can say that it was the best cupcake/muffin I have ever eaten! So satisfying. This was my first time using coconut oil for baking sweets, also. Terrific! So good that it didn’t need icing….and I calculated at least 1/2 the calories as one of those mega bakery muffins or cupcakes. Thank you!

1. Aw this made me so happy!! :) :)
      Also, I’m kinda in love with coconut oil… it gives baked goods a shortbread-like quality!

47. BroccoliHut says:

I think coconut would definitely need to be involved in my sandwich:)

48. Tara says:

Definitely banana soft serve, or your almond milk ice cream that you posted yesterday. I always loved chipwiches growing up, but I think this vegan substitute would taste even better! Oh or a pistachio cream filling. I have been craving pistachio pudding lately, but I haven’t come up with a substitute for my favorite jell-o brand dessert!

49. woww~so these cookies actually are kind of sweet? I only ask since there’s so little sugar! 😀

1. Yup! They taste like your everyday chocolate chip cookies… well, no, they’re better :)!

50. LizAshlee says:

Dear Katie,

You make the most delicious look treats!!

So funny, I actually made a cookie sandwich yesterday and today for my treat! I used a recipe for cookie dough balls and added chocolate peanut butter as the frosting! Gotta stop talking about these or I am going to have make another! :)

Have a great night!!

51. Abby says:

Mint chocolate chip ice cream! Mmmm! That would be an awesome filling!

52. These look so delicious and festive! You do our Mavs proud, Katie! And this reminds me – I just had a vegan oatmeal cookie sandwich from Beautifull, a local restaurant in San Francisco – so yummy, and yours look even better!

53. Nathalie says:

In my ultimate cookie sandwich?

….a layer of cake. And a layer of ice cream. And some kind of icing/syrup/nut butter/condiment. It’d become like a hand-held Oreo Tallcake from Ruby Tuesdays (anyone remember those before they got a makeover/weren’t cool anymore??). I’d have cookie-sammich makin’ parties. Like ice cream sundae parties, but better.

54. Amber K says:

Cookie sandwiches, yum! My ideal cookie wouldn’t have anything to hurt me (no gluten, no xanthan gum) and would be SUPER yummy. Peanut butter, banana, and chocolate would have to be involved. Mmmmm :)

55. Sarah says:

There are adorable, I love that the frosting is BLUE! I made you chocolate chip blondies last night and cant wait to make these!

56. Chocolate. and Peanut Butter. Definitely. Oh, and More Chocolate. 😀

57. Mmmm I definitely want to turn these into ice cream sandwiches! Anything I can put ice cream on is okay in my book!