Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

It is so hot here!

Can someone please invent the Ice Cream Diet?

Where you eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? A few of you told me there already is an ice cream diet. Why am I surprised? After all, there’s a grapefruit diet, a cabbage soup diet, even a No White Foods diet. So why not ice cream?

healthy mint chocolate chip ice cream

Why not, indeed.

Hey, it can still be a healthy diet.

After all, there’s always this: Spinach Ice Cream.

Yay! We can now follow an ice cream diet and be healthy at the same time. So go ahead and embrace your new healthy ice cream diet right away, by devouring a gigantic serving of the following recipe for healthy mint chocolate chip ice cream. I guarantee that, by the time you finish your serving, you won’t feel hot anymore. And if it happens to be cold where you live… please send some of your cold weather to me in Texas. I’ll happily mail you our hot weather in return!

mint chocolate chip ice cream

Maybe I wouldn’t want to be on an all-ice-cream diet. I’d miss my pancakes and oatmeal too much! Not to mention salads, beans, and even spaghetti. But if I were to eat ice cream all the time, mint chocolate chip—my favorite, as a kid–would probably be the flavor I’d consume most often.

Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

(Makes 1 huge serving)

• 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • scant 1/16 tsp salt (don’t omit)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 cup milk of choice (See directions below for recommendations)
  • 2 tbsp chocolate chips OR sugar-free chocolate chips (recipe on page 199 in the book)
  • 3 drops pure peppermint extract
  • optional: I like to add 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • optional: pinch spirulina or green food coloring

This ice cream has a very light texture when made with almond milk. For a creamier texture that’s more like real ice cream, try using at least 2/3 cup canned coconut milk or cashew cream. To make it look like real ice cream, scoop out with an ice-cream scoop.

Mix the ingredients together, and pour into ice cube trays or 2 shallow containers. Freeze. Once frozen, pop the blocks out of the container and blend in your Vitamix. (If you don’t have a vitamix for vitamix ice cream, you’ll probably have to thaw longer, but you can still get a yummy ice milk. Or try this healthy ice cream in your ice-cream maker.) Feel free to add more chocolate chips, post-blending. But be sure to add the 1-2 tbsp before blending!

View Mint Ice Cream Nutrition Facts

vitamix ice cream

Serving suggestion: Serve with a side of fresh mint. And…

healthy shamrock shakes

Accompany it with this recipe: Healthy Shamrock Shakes.

Milkshakes are allowed on the Ice Cream Diet, right? There’s spinach in this milkshake too!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Why don’t you invent the Ice Cream Diet :)?

1. Haha maybe I should. I mean, I’ve already done the Chocolate-Covered Diet…

1. If either of you ladies hear about an Ice Cream diet please notify me immediately! 🙂

2. Tasha says:

Couldn’t you just freeze the liquid diet into sorbets and ice creams?

2. Allie says:

Yup, peanut butter diet, I’d be all over that. But hey, if you stick to the mint-chocolate chip ice cream diet, you’re ALSO hitting up the no white foods diet–two in one! Gotta be a good thing, right?

1. Stick some grapefruit in there, and you’ve managed to encompass three diets!
      But then again, grapefruit and mint chocolate chip don’t sound like a good match!

1. Sarah says:

Well, you never know! Hey to the commoner, chickpeas in a blondie doesnt sound appetizing, but oh what they r missing out on!

1. Ah, so true! Can you believe that in high school my friends turned their noses up at my pb-banana sandwiches?!

1. Nichole says:

peanut butter-banana sandwiches are my favorite kind of sandwich 😡 It’s not even that weird-sounding..
            also, if anyone could stick to the ice cream diet, i could probably do it. i love ice cream and basically eat it every day (but not as a meal..). Mint chocolate chip was my favorite when i was younger too, but I’ve since grown to love other flavors..

2. It gets worse! In pre-school, they turned up their noses at my Nutella sandwiches! What crazy children wouldn’t like chocolate sandwiches??? 😉

3. Megan says:

They were worried they would like it too much. No complaints from you, right? More nutella for you.

3. Chelsey Kight (@ckighttt) says:

peanut butter diet!!!!!

4. You should definitely invent the Ice Cream Diet, Katie! Do you realize how many followers you’d get? I’d definitely be one! I love ice cream! <3

1. L. says:

Count me in, too 😉

5. this looks heavenly with the weather we have right now too! I’d take sweltering heat over being cold any day though! I would invent the hummus diet. I eat it spoonful after spoonful all day anyways.

6. I’m with you on the ice cream diet! It is one food I just love through and through! Especially Mint Chocolate Chip when I was a kid! Oh my, the memories this post brought back….

7. Claire says:

I need the pie diet. You can do so much with pie (including ice cream pie)!

8. An ice cream diet sounds amazing 🙂 Next up…PB ice cream? 🙂

1. AnnaBananaBelle says:

oh my gosh that is too funny! I am not buying it though I don’t think it would help anyone lose weight.

9. I would like the ice cream, peanut butter, chocolate, chip diet. Sounds good to me 🙂

10. Me, I’m happy with regular common sense. I just wish someone would invent a locking mechanism to put on chip bags, cookie boxes and brownie pans that only allowed you to remove a certain number of items each day before it locked solid for 24 hours.That would be VERY helpful.

1. AnnaBananaBelle says:

Actually there are now cookie jars that can lock you out until a certain time. I don’t have one but i wonder if that would be helpful.

11. YUM!! Mmmm mint choc chip is HEAVEN! I bought proper coconut milk specially to make your ice creams 🙂

Haha I’m already ON the peanut butter/cookies/chocolate diet! I’m sure you knew that already 😉

P.S. Those last 3 cookies were gone by 10am this morning! 😛

12. Diana says:

Yum! Beautiful photos!

13. L. says:

I would be on the ALL-CARB diet. Take that, Atkins!

I’m definitely going to try this ice cream. Looks delish!

14. Michaela says:

I am drooling! I love mint choc chip ice cream sooooooooooooo much.

15. Is it weird that I would love the sweet potatos and eggs diet??? Ice cream looks fantastic! Do you think you could die it green with spinach without altering the recipe/texture too much?

1. You can try!
      (Alternatively, did you see my spinach ice cream recipe?)

16. Sarah says:

Hi Katie! Just wanted to say I LOVE your blog. it was one of the first blogs i followed. im 4 and im trying to live a healthy lifestyle ( its never too early). Most of my friends are junkies( most teens are), so its a challenge. But i think in the long run, i’ll be happy i did. You make it a whole lot easier- i mean blondies made with chickpeas that taste good, um..someone pinch me. Anyway, thank you so much for all you do and for introducing me to another fave of mine PBFingers!

P.S.- I would love someone to invent a coffee.diet…oh yes!

1. Aw I’m so glad you found me, Sarah! And lol I wish I was 8! No responsibilities… 🙂

17. Sarah says:

Sorry im 14, definitly NOT 4 (wish i was sometimes though, oh to be young again 🙂

18. After thinking about this, I think I like too many foods to have a “diet”! But I do love peanut butter. A lot. And coconut-flavored things. And dark chocolate. And vegan not-dark chocolate. And chick peas. And any beans. YIKES! See??

1. How about the “Everything” diet? 🙂

1. Sounds about right to me! Or the “everything good for you + once in awhile something not good for you diet”!