Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

It is so hot here!

Can someone please invent the Ice Cream Diet?

Where you eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? A few of you told me there already is an ice cream diet. Why am I surprised? After all, there’s a grapefruit diet, a cabbage soup diet, even a No White Foods diet. So why not ice cream?

healthy mint chocolate chip ice cream

Why not, indeed.

Hey, it can still be a healthy diet.

After all, there’s always this: Spinach Ice Cream.

Yay! We can now follow an ice cream diet and be healthy at the same time. So go ahead and embrace your new healthy ice cream diet right away, by devouring a gigantic serving of the following recipe for healthy mint chocolate chip ice cream. I guarantee that, by the time you finish your serving, you won’t feel hot anymore. And if it happens to be cold where you live… please send some of your cold weather to me in Texas. I’ll happily mail you our hot weather in return!

mint chocolate chip ice cream

Maybe I wouldn’t want to be on an all-ice-cream diet. I’d miss my pancakes and oatmeal too much! Not to mention salads, beans, and even spaghetti. But if I were to eat ice cream all the time, mint chocolate chip—my favorite, as a kid–would probably be the flavor I’d consume most often.

Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

(Makes 1 huge serving)

• 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • scant 1/16 tsp salt (don’t omit)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 cup milk of choice (See directions below for recommendations)
  • 2 tbsp chocolate chips OR sugar-free chocolate chips (recipe on page 199 in the book)
  • 3 drops pure peppermint extract
  • optional: I like to add 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • optional: pinch spirulina or green food coloring

This ice cream has a very light texture when made with almond milk. For a creamier texture that’s more like real ice cream, try using at least 2/3 cup canned coconut milk or cashew cream. To make it look like real ice cream, scoop out with an ice-cream scoop.

Mix the ingredients together, and pour into ice cube trays or 2 shallow containers. Freeze. Once frozen, pop the blocks out of the container and blend in your Vitamix. (If you don’t have a vitamix for vitamix ice cream, you’ll probably have to thaw longer, but you can still get a yummy ice milk. Or try this healthy ice cream in your ice-cream maker.) Feel free to add more chocolate chips, post-blending. But be sure to add the 1-2 tbsp before blending!

View Mint Ice Cream Nutrition Facts

vitamix ice cream

Serving suggestion: Serve with a side of fresh mint. And…

healthy shamrock shakes

Accompany it with this recipe: Healthy Shamrock Shakes.

Milkshakes are allowed on the Ice Cream Diet, right? There’s spinach in this milkshake too!

1. Why don’t you invent the Ice Cream Diet :)?

1. Haha maybe I should. I mean, I’ve already done the Chocolate-Covered Diet…

1. If either of you ladies hear about an Ice Cream diet please notify me immediately! :)

2. Tasha says:

Couldn’t you just freeze the liquid diet into sorbets and ice creams?

2. Allie says:

Yup, peanut butter diet, I’d be all over that. But hey, if you stick to the mint-chocolate chip ice cream diet, you’re ALSO hitting up the no white foods diet–two in one! Gotta be a good thing, right?

1. Stick some grapefruit in there, and you’ve managed to encompass three diets!
      But then again, grapefruit and mint chocolate chip don’t sound like a good match!

1. Sarah says:

Well, you never know! Hey to the commoner, chickpeas in a blondie doesnt sound appetizing, but oh what they r missing out on!

2. Ah, so true! Can you believe that in high school my friends turned their noses up at my pb-banana sandwiches?!

3. Nichole says:

peanut butter-banana sandwiches are my favorite kind of sandwich 😡 It’s not even that weird-sounding..
        also, if anyone could stick to the ice cream diet, i could probably do it. i love ice cream and basically eat it every day (but not as a meal..). Mint chocolate chip was my favorite when i was younger too, but I’ve since grown to love other flavors..

4. It gets worse! In pre-school, they turned up their noses at my Nutella sandwiches! What crazy children wouldn’t like chocolate sandwiches??? 😉

5. Megan says:

They were worried they would like it too much. No complaints from you, right? More nutella for you.

3. I’m all for the new Chocolate Covered Ice Cream Diet where I can just eat everything on your blog & be healthy 😀

4. Chelsey Kight (@ckighttt) says:

peanut butter diet!!!!!

5. You should definitely invent the Ice Cream Diet, Katie! Do you realize how many followers you’d get? I’d definitely be one! I love ice cream! <3

1. L. says:

Count me in, too 😉

6. this looks heavenly with the weather we have right now too! I’d take sweltering heat over being cold any day though! I would invent the hummus diet. I eat it spoonful after spoonful all day anyways.

7. I’m with you on the ice cream diet! It is one food I just love through and through! Especially Mint Chocolate Chip when I was a kid! Oh my, the memories this post brought back….

8. Claire says:

I need the pie diet. You can do so much with pie (including ice cream pie)!

9. An ice cream diet sounds amazing :) Next up…PB ice cream? :)

1. AnnaBananaBelle says:

oh my gosh that is too funny! I am not buying it though I don’t think it would help anyone lose weight.

10. I would like the ice cream, peanut butter, chocolate, chip diet. Sounds good to me :)

11. Me, I’m happy with regular common sense. I just wish someone would invent a locking mechanism to put on chip bags, cookie boxes and brownie pans that only allowed you to remove a certain number of items each day before it locked solid for 24 hours.That would be VERY helpful.

1. AnnaBananaBelle says:

Actually there are now cookie jars that can lock you out until a certain time. I don’t have one but i wonder if that would be helpful.

12. YUM!! Mmmm mint choc chip is HEAVEN! I bought proper coconut milk specially to make your ice creams :)

Haha I’m already ON the peanut butter/cookies/chocolate diet! I’m sure you knew that already 😉

P.S. Those last 3 cookies were gone by 10am this morning! 😛

13. Diana says:

Yum! Beautiful photos!

14. A (gluten-free) pasta diet would be nice :)

15. L. says:

I would be on the ALL-CARB diet. Take that, Atkins!

I’m definitely going to try this ice cream. Looks delish!

16. Michaela says:

I am drooling! I love mint choc chip ice cream sooooooooooooo much.

17. Is it weird that I would love the sweet potatos and eggs diet??? Ice cream looks fantastic! Do you think you could die it green with spinach without altering the recipe/texture too much?

1. You can try!
      (Alternatively, did you see my spinach ice cream recipe?)

18. I’d like to go on a tortilla chips/guacamole diet please!!!

I love mint choc chip ice cream, but cookies and cream is my favorite!

1. Sarahishealthy says:

I am with Holly. Cookies n cream all the way! I knew I was in trouble when I found out Oreos are vegan!

19. Sarah says:

Hi Katie! Just wanted to say I LOVE your blog. it was one of the first blogs i followed. im 4 and im trying to live a healthy lifestyle ( its never too early). Most of my friends are junkies( most teens are), so its a challenge. But i think in the long run, i’ll be happy i did. You make it a whole lot easier- i mean blondies made with chickpeas that taste good, um..someone pinch me. Anyway, thank you so much for all you do and for introducing me to another fave of mine PBFingers!

P.S.- I would love someone to invent a coffee.diet…oh yes!

1. Aw I’m so glad you found me, Sarah! And lol I wish I was 8! No responsibilities… :)

20. Sarah says:

Sorry im 14, definitly NOT 4 (wish i was sometimes though, oh to be young again :)

21. After thinking about this, I think I like too many foods to have a “diet”! But I do love peanut butter. A lot. And coconut-flavored things. And dark chocolate. And vegan not-dark chocolate. And chick peas. And any beans. YIKES! See??

1. How about the “Everything” diet? :)

1. Sounds about right to me! Or the “everything good for you + once in awhile something not good for you diet”!

22. Kate says:

Katie!
    As of yesterday, you are my newest favoritest (not a word) person! Your creations are killing me because I am away from my kitchen and can’t start cooking until I return home. Also, my ADD personality is suffering as a result of clicking on link after link after link. Apparently, I start looking at one recipe and then somehow an hour later I have at least 10 windows open, all with delicious treats tempting me to sink my teeth into something sinful. I’m visiting my parents. While my parents’ pantry is never void of sweet treats, it is lacking in healthier options. I shall be brave and wait until I am safe in the warm embrace of my healthy kitchen! Can’t wait to try ALL of them out!

Thanks for the recipes! Keep em’ coming!

1. Aw Kate, your comment made me smile SO much!! :)

23. Lilly says:

follow your heart diet: love it, want it, eat it :) I guess you could call is follow your gut, but it doesn’t sounds as nice. However, I would have no problem trying out your ice cream diet, looks so delish!

24. Jessy says:

What about eat-whatever-you-want-as-much-as-you-want diet? It would be quite awesome if we could eat just about anything and it didn’t have negative effects on our bodies/health.

PS: I saw your post about Quintessence’s famous Coconut Creme Pie and it made me drool – you should totally make more coconut-based recipes! 😀

1. I’m planning a coconut-pineapple post soon! Hopefully the recipe works out… I haven’t tried it yet!

25. Lisa C. says:

How about the Fried Foods diet? Onion rings, mozzarella sticks, crispy fried everything! I’d love that :).
    I also love your voluminous vanilla ice cream, so I’m excited to try this one!

26. Ohhh I’d so participate in the peanut butter diet. Can it be a peanut butter + ice cream diet? 😉

1. Carroll says:

Yes please:)

27. Jenny says:

The blueberry diet.

That was honestly the first thing that came to mind! Though honestly, I definitely don’t believe in diets… Well, the “short-term” ones aimed at weight loss, anyway! Hopefully I’m not being too much of a party-pooper in saying that! But if it’s used to define what you eat every day, like a lifestyle, of course I’ll use the word, haha. Yours is definitely a chocolate-covered diet! :) The best kind.

So, a question that I’m sure has been asked before or in your other ice cream recipe post: if we don’t have a Vita-Mix, these ice cream recipes won’t turn out like ice cream but more like a slushie or something…? Of course I’m sure they’re still 100% insanely delicious, but just curious about how to achieve the right texture!

1. Yup, they’ll be more like a Wendy’s frosty or a slushie because you’ll need to thaw the frozen blocks longer to get your blender to handle it. But I’m actually working on a Frappuccino recipe that is PERFECT for a non-Vita blender specifically BECAUSE it is slushy :).

2. Karine says:

Hi,

I tried the other day Katie’s vanilla volume ice cream (which is made the same way, with almost the same ingredients) with my food processor, and it turned out good but a bit “grainy” and not very solid (pieces were falling apart as I tried to form scoops). But the taste was great!

28. Amber K says:

No “diets” for me, especially because I would bored as heck of just one thing!

29. O.C. says:

I’m not really a diet kinda girl! I don’t like giving myself rules to eat by but I have to follow some because of Alergies! Thankfully, ice cream is not off limits :)

30. Lauren W says:

I NEED to make your ice creams! Its super duper hot here…I just need to find an ice cube tray that fits into my freezer 😉 Actually, not really kidding. Our little tiny apartment freezer is packed full……..Can’t wait until we move into our new house!

31. Jenny$1983 says:

I don’t understand why the government keep rejecting my application for a subsidy to buy a Vitamix: I so clearly *neeeeeeeeeeeed* one, how can they be so cruel?

Mint choc chip has always been my favourite flavour too! I actually made the raw mint shake yesterday, using kale instead of spinach (I had none and I usually knock back a Green Monster every day so it gave me no trouble – I love the flavour!), and it was so ridiculously yummy that I ate it in a kind of blissful trance – thank you! 😀

32. Charissa says:

This is one of my favorite flavours too! I might just be making this now…

Thanks girlie!

1. Aww you are so welcome, pretty girl!

33. Aja says:

You should make a separate section in your recipe page just for all your ice cream recipes. I still am yet to try them, but I can’t wait until I finally do!

An ice cream diet would be amazing. People could add chocolate protien powder for chocolate ice cream or blend spinach in. It would totally be doable and healthy! I’m down for it.

34. Aja says:

Forget that first part about the separate section. That was just me being oblivious.

1. LOL no worries! I can hardly keep up with all of my OWN tabs and links, let alone someone else’s ;).

35. Emilia says:

Yum– mint chip ice cream sounds wonderful right about now, especially during this hot summer weather :) I used your ice cream technique recently and made a raspberry- chocolate- peanut butter one; it was delicious!
    I would have a smoothie or nut butter diet! :)

36. Oh my gosh! This recipe stole my heart. lol. Mint Chocolate Chip is my favorite!

37. ummmmm mint chocolate chip is my favvvvvvv i want to make this asap!
    why the salt tho? just wondering
    and if they made a nut and nut butter diet…oh my lord id be in heavennnnn

1. A little salt actually brings out the sweetness in foods! I don’t know why this is, but it works! :)

38. Love the recipe and the photography is splendid, Katie! So clear and crisp and bright. The details are visible without being overdone. (Sometimes I just love to slide that ‘sharpening’ bar all the way to the right…haha) Perfect work!

What diet do you wish someone would invent? = the don’t worry about what your neighbor/friend/random person you dont know is doing and just focus on what YOU are doing diet :)

Everything in moderation. Desserts included. That’s my kinda ‘diet’. Or dietary path :)

39. I swear I want to get a VitaMix just to make all of your icecream recipes. This looks amazing!!! Mint chocolate chip was one of my favorite flavors growing up!

40. Gen says:

Awesome! Mint chocolate chip is one of my favorites as well!!!! And oreo…..and reeses pb cup…..hahahaha

41. Ann Claire says:

I’m so going to try making this, just gotta get some mint extract!
    Hmm the fruit diet? The french fry diet? The kettle chip diet? The sour patch kid diet?

42. Sara R. says:

There already is a peanut butter diet, I think it’s through Prevention Magazine or something like that. I played with some of the recipes a couple years ago!

I have a question Katie…when you say to use coconut milk in recipes to make milkshakes and ice cream taste creamier, do you mean the kind in a can? I have been trying that trick with the coconut milk you buy in a half-gallon milk container in the refrigerated section and it doesn’t seem to make things any creamier than using any other kind of milk. Then it dawned on me that you probably mean the canned kind?

1. Yes, definitely the canned kind :)

43. the Ice Cream Diet? Oh YES!!!!!! 😀

44. Elise says:

Mmmm….icecream!!

I am so grateful to the person who invented vegan icecream. I think it was a turning point to becoming vegan when I was veggie, and I don’t even like icecream that much! I think I thought ‘oh if they can do icecream they can do anything!!’

Enjoy the hot weather, it’s been raining all day here.

1. Haha mine was soy whipped cream in a can! And now they even have vegan fried calamari… is there anything left?

1. Elise says:

Decent cheese!

45. Oh gosh I wish there was a peanut butter diet. Where you could eat a gallon of it a day and still not gain a pound!

1. Ugh, but even if you can eat all you want and not gain weight… there’s still the annoying nuisance of feeling physically sick. I wish you could eat as much as you want of your favorite foods and not have a tummy ache afterwards! :)

1. True that. I have experienced the agony of too much pb…. :/

46. Sigh. I need a Vitamix…

47. Dalai Lina says:

Well, I’m currently on the leftover diet – whatever is leftover on my kids plates, I eat. I have successfully gained 3 pounds of french fries. Damn, they never leave me ICE CREAM!

1. LOL! Funniest comment ever!

48. Ummm… I need to eat this RIGHT NOW!!! Yum!

Just wanted to take a minute & say THANK YOU KATIE! I’m on a soy-free, sugar-free, corn-free “diet” (it’s not really a diet, it’s a way of life) so I pretty much cut out all desserts until I found your site! You are heaven-sent to someone like me, who otherwise, can’t have sweets.

1. Aww thank YOU, Amykinz, for SUCH a sweet comment!