Pineapple Floats

With Coconut Ice Cream.

float

I’m practicing for when I move to Hawaii.

My friends used to love hanging out at my house when we were younger, probably because my mom was the best hostess. She’d always be prepared for guests with freshly-baked cookies, brownies, or even English muffin pizzas. Come summertime, one of her favorite treats to serve (and one of my friends’ favorite things to be served) was a root beer float. I’ve never liked soda, and so she’d make me a special Orange Juice float.

Last night, when my friends came over for a girls’ night, the drinks I created for them reminded me of those oj floats my mom used to make. Except these were pineapple-flavored: Pineapple Floats!

pineapple drink

Pineapple Floats

• 4 cups fresh or canned pineapple
  • stevia or sugar of choice to taste
  • optional: rum or rum extract
  • coconut ice cream (I used my favorite Ice Cream Recipe)

Freeze the pineapple in a container. Once frozen, thaw it until you can easily blend it. (You don’t need a Vita-Mix for this recipe!) Blend with the optional sweetener and rum or extract. Do not add water. Pour into glasses, and serve topped with coconut ice cream.

float with ice cream

You could also make a float from my Watermelon Ice Cream.

Just thaw the frozen watermelon longer than the recipe calls for, and pour it into a glass instead of a bowl.

float

Oh, and with the floats I also served Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Allie says:

That first picture of your post? Prettiest photo EVER!

And now I want a pina colada float!

2. I would rather host a party! I love having people come over to my place!

3. I’ll rather be the host! I always want to be the host. People coming over to my home, eating my food, enjoying my TV… absolutely awesome. 😀

4. I think I would rather Host! I love throwing parties and getting to make the menu!

5. teabagginit says:

i’d so rather be a guest – but i ALWAYS bring something i know i’ll eat. i’m so picky about my food & getting protein/good carbs at every meal that i won’t trust others to provide what i want. anal/control freak? perhaps. hungry? nope!

6. This sounds delightful, especially with the rum! Oh yes! It looks as if all would feel right in the world if I was sipping this!
    I love to be a healthy mix of both, a hostess and a guest. Best of both worlds I guess!

7. Rebecca says:

This float looks like just the thing for a hot day!

I’d rather be a guest most of the time, I like the freedom to come and go when I want.

8. I LOVE FLOATS!!! such a cute and great idea – not surprised coming from YOU 😉

I LOVEEE BEING the guest! no cleanup involved 🙂

9. Leslie says:

I’d say hostess, but if you were serving me one of those floats I would totally have to change my answer to guest!

1. Lisa C. says:

Oh me too. I would rather be in charge of the party and know where everything is and have control (control freak!). But I would make an exception for a CCK party! I can see why everyone’d want to come to your house! Your friends are smart people. 🙂

10. Ragnhild says:

Yum yum- looking fresh!

I love to host, and I always make my friends come over for dinner. I also make them breakfast and brunch! I also always bring foods when Im not the host. I love to convince friends that vegan healthy foods are yummiiii 😀

11. mmm this float looks amazing! I have been loving pineapple coconut everything lately and I am sure this will be just fine as well!

12. Emma says:

Gah! It is sooooooo hot here, and this would be perfect! I’m so excited you don’t need a vita-mix for it too. That’s on my wish list, but until I get one, I’m stuck with a rusty old blender. So excited it’ll work for this!

13. You had me at PINEAPPLE! Oh wow, those look heavenly!!!

I would rather be the hostess, I love having people over and making a HUGE food spread for all the enjoy! (I just hate the clean up!)

14. Perfect for summer!! I could whip these guys up for a poolside summer day 🙂 Sounds like it would taste just like Malibu rum!

15. I love being the hostess — but sometimes, you just want to go to someone else’s house. 🙂

YUM! Just looking at your Pineapple Float makes me feel amazing. 🙂

16. Julene says:

You are a healthy hostess with the most-est. Geez!

17. Michaela says:

I absolutely love hosting parties!! I love preparing the food, chosing music, decorating the place… But I also enjoy being the guest and having not to worry about anything 😉

18. Jenny says:

I would definitely rather host a party! Or be a part of a team or group that’s hosting a party. 🙂 I think being a caterer for parties, banquets, or any sort of celebration would be so much fun! I was always super involved in planning my own birthday parties as I was growing up, even though the majority of my friends always left it up to their moms to decide everything.

Also… I’ve never had a root beer float, or any sort of float-y thing. Definitely missed out on a lot of “traditional” North American treats and foods, having grown up mostly in South East Asia and having a ‘non-traditional’ [but still super amazing, of course] mom. I don’t like soda either! Or any sort of carbonated drink, actually! The fizz burrrns! Haha but this still looks super interesting. I think I wouldn’t mind one of your milkshakes + some ice cream on top. Would that qualify as a float? 🙂

T.G.I.F.!

1. Julia says:

Can you believe it, neither have I! I’ve never even had root beer!
      Mmm, I think anything could qualifly as a float as long as something was floating… so yeah, I think the ice cream shake float would work.
      Maybe someday I will have to try root beer, but for now that pineapple concoction looks way better!

19. Lauren says:

Holy yum! Gorgeous photos, too. I need one of those in my life!

20. L. says:

I wanna be a guest… at YOUR party. Where you serve these!