Cherry Crumble Bars

I used to think I disliked cherries, because I hated cherry-flavored candies, vitamins, drinks, and especially cherry cough drops. But I don’t think I’d ever tasted an actual cherry until I was a teenager. Weird, right?

After that first taste, I was in love!

Now, in the summertime, I’ll almost always have fresh cherries in my kitchen. Such was the case yesterday, when a neighbor came to me with a special request…

cherry crumble bars

She is a huge fan of my Buttery Berry Crumble Bars.

And she asked if she could hire me to make her a batch. Someone requesting a vegan baked good?? Obviously I told her I’d be happy to make them for free!  To deviate a little different from last time, I decided to make the bars with fresh cherries:

cherry bars

Cherry Crumble Bars

(Makes 10-14 bars)

• 1.5 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (or white flour, or Bob’s gluten-free)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut brown sugar (or xylitol, for a sugar-free option)
  • pinch stevia OR add another tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp cold butter sub (Or click for: Fat-Free Option.)
  • 2 tbsp milk of choice
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen cherries, chopped (8oz)
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 3 tbsp pure maple syrup, agave, or honey
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • optional: a handful of chocolate chips

Cherry Bars Recipe: Stir together the first eight ingredients, making sure to break the butter up really well so that little crumbs form. Scoop 2/3 of the dough into a 4×7, oiled glass dish (or any small pan), and press down firmly. In a separate bowl, stir together the other ingredients. Layer them into the pan, then top with the rest of the dough from the first pan and press down a bit. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 F, then cool at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars. Store uncovered, unless you want a soft crust (in which case, you should cover completely with saran wrap).

View Cherry Crumble Bars Nutrition Facts

CSC_0777

LINK OF THE DAY:

1 Minute Chocolate Cake

Tags: , ,

1. Jennifer JCD says:

I’m on the fence with cherries. I detest anything chery-flavoured, even jams and squares, but I enjoy fresh cherries once in a while. Weird?

2. Stefanie says:

I used to think I hated cherries too. Now, it is hard to keep them in my house because I could eat the whole bag in one day if I am not careful.

3. Ragnhild says:

A big YAY to cherries, I love them so much! I actually just, like 2 minuts ago, posted about uncook chocolate cherry pancakes- YUM 😀
    These bars looks wonderful. Cherries and chocolate are a combination made in heaven!

4. kate says:

yum these look delish I love cherries but rarely buy them because organic are so expensive !!

5. 100% YUMMMY! 😀 Except when they’re super sour. Its too bad I can’t have them often.. they’re really expensive!! 🙁

6. frozen cherries and chocolate smoothie is one of my favorite ways! I do not like the tiny red cherries, only the big dark ones with a pit! These look soooo dense and delicious wooooo!

7. I love cherries in all forms: fresh, dried, in baked goods. Yum.

8. Cherries are so yummy! Cherries + Chocolate = DELICIOUS

9. Jess says:

Cherries are YUMMY! I usually just eat them by the handful 🙂

10. Oh my gosh I loooooooove cherries. This is my favorite time of year just because cherries are in season. Well, I like clementine season, too. Have you tried roasting your cherries? Whole new level of flavor – amazing!! I’ve got a recipe for roasted cherry brownies on my blog – that’s how I discovered that roasting cherries is so amazing. It is my new favorite topping for, well, everything dessertish!

1. I haven’t tried it! I need to try this!!! It sounds so yummy!

11. Cherries are like my favorite food right now! Just a perfect summer treat! I bet this would taste great with one of your ice cream recipes! 🙂

12. Natalie S. says:

I’m the same way!!! I looatthhee cherry-flavored stuff, but I LOVE cherries! I rarely cook with them though, because they’re such a pain in the a$$ to pit. Frozen cherries are a good idea though! I’m going to try these crumble bars — they look delish!

13. I love cherries! They are my favorite fruit. My favovorite cake is blackforest so I love that you added chocolate to these. I love this recipe I am going to try it ASAP!

14. Lauren B. says:

I LOVE cherries! We eat them like candy around here. And yesterday, I made a delicious cherry-almond oatmeal for breakfast. For a healthy dessert, sometimes I will warm up frozen cherries and top them with banana “nice cream” and granola for a fake-out cherry crisp! YUM!

15. Tangy says:

I love cherries! This recipe looks so good!

16. Love cherries, I just bought some this morning!!! Can’t wait to give these babies a try!

17. I dont think I’ve ever tried a cherry! Due to the fact that cherry flavored medicine, coughdrops etc gross me out!

18. Cherries = Yummy. Maraschino Cherries = Yucky.

19. Lisa says:

oh HOW convenient. Im eating cherries right now we just bought! what better way to use the rest of the bag up then make these 🙂

20. Yum! Love that cherry filling 😀 I’m always loved cherries. And then working in a cherry packing plant and living on a cherry orchard I got so sick of them for a couple years but I love them now 😀 Can’t get enough!