Coconut Chai Milkshakes

Thick. Luxurious. Coconut

coconut shake

coconut chai

A few years ago, after drinking a coconut chai shake at Bonobos, I created my own version of the delicious spicy-sweet shake. I’m re-posting an updated version of the recipe today, because the old one was a little hard to follow.

coconut drink

Put on a lei, close your eyes, and pretend you’re lounging under a palm tree in Hawaii.

Coconut Chai Shakes

• Meat and juice of one Thai coconut (or 1 can full-fat coconut milk plus 1 cup coconut water)
  • 1 tbsp Indian chai masala (Or 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp cloves, dash pepper and cardamom. Or omit completely for a plain-jane coconut shake.)
  • Sweetener (I like it without, but for a taste like Bonobos’, add 2-3 tsp agave or other sweetener to taste.)
  • Cinnamon for sprinkling on top, if desired

Blend all of your ingredients together (I use a Magic Bullet). You can also try freezing this and then re-blend in your Vita-Mix for an amazing ice cream!

See the following link if you’d prefer a coconut-free version: Vanilla Chai Breakfast Shakes.

coconut splash

Don’t cry over spilled coconut milkshake.

NYC Recap Continued…

#Fail. That’d be yesterday’s lunch, if this were Twitter.

Neither my friend, Jess, nor I were impressed with our food at The Organic Grill. It was mediocre and bland. We quickly paid our bill and moved on to yummier things. Yummier things such as chocolate-strawberry cheesecake from Whole Earth Bakery. (I ordered two, to-go. They’re sitting in my fridge right now, and I can’t say I haven’t been dreaming about them!)

We spent a few hours exploring after our lunch and bakery stop. In NYC, you really don’t need to have a jam-packed itinerary, filled with trips to museums and tourist attractions. Just walking around is entertainment enough!

Hot and thirsty, we arrived just in time for snack at Bonobos.

I went straight for the coconut chai, which they gladly blended up for me sans sweetener. Jess ordered the gingerade. Our drinks offered the perfect antidote to the summer heat, and they totally made up for our less-than-stellar lunch experience!

What are some of your favorite spices?

My favorites are probably cinnamon and ginger. Oh, and oregano and basil. And my least favorites are nutmeg and cilantro!

For more milkshakes, see: Healthy Milkshake Recipes.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Sara says:

You are SO gorgeous!

I just stumbled across your blog a few weeks ago, and I’m so glad I did. I already made three things and all were gobbled up by me and my roommates. I’ll try this shake for sure!

🙂

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Agreed! Katie, you are just glowing and beautiful. Must be all that chocolate you eat ;).

2. Katie, you are so AMAZING! Your recipes are the BEST! Your blog is INCREDIBLE! I don’t know what I would do without you.

3. Love cinnamon and ginger too. I really do not like the flavour of cloves or nutmeg either 🙂 I like the outfit btw- I recycle outfits too haha!

4. Emma says:

Mmmmm I tried Bonobos coconut chai once, last year, after reading about it on your blog actually! It really was delicious. But expensive! Thanks for this recipe so I can try making my own. Oh, and you look so pretty in the last photo :).

My favorite spices are cinnamon and cinnamon and cinnamon!

5. kate says:

whoooa amazing I love milkshakes and cinnamon is by far my favorite thing ever yum!

6. I am a cinnamon addict. I’ve been trying to find out if I can grow a cinnamon tree here in Colorado. I’m sure it isn’t actually called a cinnamon tree, but you know what I mean. I put it in everything. The McCormick cinnamon grinder is my best friend.

Chocolate Strawberry Cheesecake sounds amazing!

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Yes! I want to know more about this cheesecake!

7. Cinnamon! And Garlic and basil if they’re spices too! 😀 I don’t fancy coconut so I’m going to try your banana version as soon as my mum surrenders her sad, black bananas 😀

8. Cinnamon, chili powder. I’m anti-cilantro as well. It’s so overpowering!

9. Sarahishealthy says:

I am a HUGE cinnamon addict, and I LOVE chai tea. I also love coconut of course, so I WILL be trying this. Only question is how soon. Hopefully today ;).

10. Em says:

Yummy! I want one!

11. judy says:

I absolutely love your blog! I am trying to gain weight the healthy way because I am underweight due to an E.D. so this site really has some good recipes, I like the way the recipes give options, depending on your daily fat/calorie needs. Keep it up 🙂

1. Wow, thank u so much!!! 🙂

12. VEGirl says:

Oh, my favorites are your least favored I guess! Freshly grated nutmeg and cilantro are a couple of my favorite flavors (although not together. hmmmm….. *light bulb*). I also love basil , which goes very well with chocolate! I LOVE fresh herbs! And does chocolate count as a spice? Cocoa powder gets sprinkled on a lot of my food (although NOT cilantro! Ooohhhh…. *another light bulb*)

1. Chocolate counts as everything! 😉

13. Ragnhild says:

Ola-la, pretty lady ! 😉 I love your outfit! And thanks for sharing this recipe! Sounds delicious, and I have half a can of coconut milk sitting in my fridge- I hope I get around to make this tomorrow!
    Favorit spice: Fresh basil , and cinnamon! But I cant stand fresh cilantro :S (I like it dried though!)

14. Lauren B. says:

Did you used to live in NYC? You seem to be really familiar with it.

1. LOL I wish! I’ve been coming every summer since I was a baby, though. My parents both grew up on Long Island and in NYC, so they know the area really well and have imparted some of that knowledge onto me… but I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as they are. Sometimes I’ll call my mom up and ask the best way to get to a certain place, or for recommendations of things to do in an area or how long it will take to get from place to place. 🙂

15. Alyssa says:

(Did you know that some people have a gene that makes cilantro leave a bad taste in their mouths? Same with pine nuts. The human body is fascinating!)
    It’s funny, I’m reading your post and “Groove is in the Heart” by Dee-Lite, from 20 years ago, is on the radio. That song came out during my senior year of college in New York, and always makes me think of walking around the West Village.
    Thanks for the memories!!!!!

1. Wow, I wonder why that is! I also wonder if anyone has a “dislike chocolate” gene. I hope not!!

16. Heidi says:

Well of course you must recycle outfits… how else does one fit in a Magic Bullet on Vay-Cay? LOLz LOVE IT!!

17. Lyza says:

Chai sounds so wonderful, but coupled with coconut sounds like a drink from the heavens 🙂 I need to get on making this one day soon! 🙂

18. PBnJ Fam says:

Hi Katie!! I recently stumbled across you *by accident* if I must confess… but I can’t thank my lucky stars enough that I found you!!!! I am so inspired by you and in awe of your talent and drive!! So, on to my question… I would LOVE to make this recipe… but not sure about the Chai ingredient… is that a powder, loose tea leaves, or a tea that has already been made?? I actually have a masala chai in loose tea leaves, but am not sure what is the best way to add it to the recipe?? (maybe brewing up a small amount of concentrated tea??) Would love to hear your input! And again, you are such a wonderful talented woman, thank you for taking the time to share with all of us out here!!

1. Awww thank you so much for your sweet comment! I found the Chai Masala (which is one spice, all together) at an Indian grocery store. But it is hard to find, which is why I gave the alternative in my recipe. It’s just as good with the substitution :).

I wish I could help you with your tea-leaf question, but I really don’t ever use tea leaves, and so I wouldn’t know how to use them in this recipe at all. LOL if I gave you directions, you’d probably end up with grainy pieces of floating tea leaves in your shake! 😕

19. L. says:

I’ve never been to Bonobos. What a funny name for a restaurant! But it sounds fun, and that drink looks heavenly. I love your NYC posts, Katie :).

20. Lisa says:

hahah totally ok to recycle outfits! leaves room to buy stuff on vacation in the suitcase 😉

my fav spice is cinnamon. Im really not a spice kind of girl, so when I use cinnamon, its usuualy for sweet things!! 🙂