Giant Chocolate-Chip Cookie Cake

A giant chocolate-chip cookie.

vegan cookie cake

Can you think of anything better?

Right now, I can’t. But give me a second…

cookie cake

Nope. Still cant.

Presenting a healthier version of the famous Great American Cookie Cake. This one is whole-grain, gluten-free, and high in fiber. But don’t let those adjectives scare you away; the recipe has the stamp of approval from:

• A bunch of college guys
  • Some very-picky preteen girls
  • An entire kindergarten class

vegan cookie cake

Giant Chocolate-Chip Cookie Cake

Inspired by the Deep Dish Cookie Pie

• 1/2 cup quick oats
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 can white beans or garbanzos (drained and rinsed) (250g)
  • 1.5 tbsp oil (vegetable or coconut or canola)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar (You can try adding less, if you’re used to healthy desserts. Also, white sugar will work if you don’t have brown, but brown is recommended for the best taste. I can’t personally vouch for the results, but some commenters have reported success with xylitol, if you want it sugar-free.)
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Blend everything except the chips very well in a food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and pour into a greased or oiled pan. Cook at 350 F for around 20 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.

Or try the following recipe in a round pan for a PB & J Cookie Cake.

I’m also wondering if this would work with cinnamon and raisins, as an oatmeal-raisin cookie cake. But since this is a chocolate blog, I think next up will have to be:

browniebatter

A chocolate cookie, based off the Chocolate Brownie Batter Dip.

Question of the Day:

Have you ever had a cookie cake?

Great American cookie cakes were the thing when I was in middle school. (Well, those and Ugg boots with skirts.) Every single birthday party, school function, and social gathering… there’d be that ubiquitous cookie cake, sitting on the table amidst the chips and dip.

I remember my friend and I once got the “brilliant” idea of trying to take a Betty Crocker cookie mix and turn it into one giant homemade cookie cake. Sadly for us, our cookie didn’t make it. The poor thing burnt to a crisp on the outside and was simultaneously a gooey, messy mush in the middle.

Of course we ate it anyway!

Fun Party Idea: Set out a bunch of different icings and sprinkles, and let kids decorate their own slice. :)

Tags: , , , , ,

1. OMG YES!!! ITS THE BOMB andt his looks like it TOO! paired with ice cream and im GOLDEN

2. Riri says:

Never even heard of a cookie cake. Clearly I’ve been missing out!

3. COOKIE CAKES ARE AWESOME! Yours looks so delicious and I love the frosting decoration!!

Question, with your recipes that have garbanzo beans in them, do you have to refigerate them after they’re done? One time I made a garbanzo bean cake, didn’t refigerate it, and it smelled horrible the next day..eww.

1. Hmmm… did you cover it completely, by chance? I don’t fridge mine, but I make sure to leave them uncovered. Otherwise the moisture makes them completely soggy/awful.

4. I’ve been craving good old chocolate chip cookies lately! Definitely need to make this. When I used to babysit my cousins, they thought I was the coolest because I let them turn the break and bake I bought into a cookie cake. Favorite cousin award!

5. Barb says:

My mom always used to send me mrs. fields cookie cakes when I was at college for my birthday! This post really reminded me of that! She hated the thought that I wasn’t getting a cake on my birthday, and knew that a real birthday cake would never make it in the mail. I always had to keep myself from eating it all at once. Glad yours is healthier and I won’t feel bad about doing just that!

If its as good as your deep-dish cookie pie, I can’t wait to make it! And the chocolate sounds even better (or perhaps, pb & chocolate chip??)

6. Nope! Haven’t tried them… YET! I’ll be making these soon! 😀

7. Ashley says:

I think I’ve had a cookie cake before– but whenever I’d go to the mall in Las Vegas, I would walk past these heart-shaped ones at one of the vendors’ in the food court! But I love the idea of this one! :)

8. w says:

I am so gonna try this. But does anyone know how many cups is 250g of beans?? Thanks in advance!

1. I think it’s about 1 and 1/2 cups.

9. Robin says:

As I’m not American, I have never ate this before, not even heard of it actually. I do love the idea though, it’s a cookie, and a cake, and it has chocolate in it, that just can’t go wrong. I would love to try making a oatmeal raisin version, as that’s my favourite cookie.

10. Can’t wait To try this recipe out!!

11. LizAshlee says:

I haven’t ever made a cookie cake but I have tasted them and they are delicious…I guess the next step is baking one!!

12. yum!! The bigger the cookie, the better 😉

13. Giulia says:

I’d never heard of a cookie cake before, but rest assured I’ll try it now!!eheheheh….

14. Susan says:

Oats are not always gluten free. I have celiac disease and am VERY sensitive to gluten and have to avoid oats, unless they are organic and gluten free. http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/theglutenfreediet/a/OatsForCeliacs.htm

This looks so good! Beans are awesome…

1. Jen says:

I buy gluten-free oats too. :)

1. Oh yes, I definitely know this. I figured everyone who needed to eat gluten-free would also know to use gf oats (just like I don’t say “vegan chocolate chips”). It’s so awesome how more and more gf products are becoming available nowadays, even in regular grocery stores!

15. littlemiao says:

Beautiful giant cookie! I love your gluten free recipes.

16. Em says:

i have to make these sometime!!!

17. I think I’ve had a cookie cake once… I guess it just wasn’t a big thing when I was growing up, although a lot of people had ice cream cakes! And we definitely had ugg boots with jean skirts…

18. Alyssa says:

I’ve had the Pizzookie from BJ’s restaurant. It’s basically a gigantic, fresh-out-of-the-oven chocolate chipped cookie covered in hot fudge and ice cream.
    Yeah, health food, lol!
    I’ll definitely try this!!!!!

19. In college, about a week before exams, my roommates and I (three of us total) purchased the biggest Great American Cookie cake we could, had “Good Luck Girls” written on it and snacked on the cookie cake for about two weeks (the week before and the week up). Talk about a sugar high. This was clearly before I discovered espresso … or how to eat right :)

20. Michaela says:

yum :)
    I haven´t heard of this cake before, but it seems tasty!