Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Super-Thick Strawberry Milkshake

I don’t know what season it is.

vegan-strawberry-milkshake

First it’s cold, and my body says:

Girl, please give me some Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal.

Then the very next day is bright and sunny; over 100 degrees again. Yesterday was one of those hot days, which meant the canned pumpkin in my fridge didn’t receive any love. (Sorry, pumpkin.) Instead, I went with something cool and refreshing: a thick strawberry milkshake.

healthy-dessert-milkshake

It’s so thick you can even opt to eat it in a bowl, like ice cream!

Strawberry Thickshake

• 1 cup frozen strawberries (160g)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk (you can use lite, but it won’t be as rich)
  • optional: stevia or other sweetener to taste (agave, sugar, etc)
  • optional: cocoa powder

Thaw your strawberries until they’re *just* soft enough to blend. Then blend everything until smooth and serve with a spoon—this shake is thick! (Have I mentioned how thick this is yet? Only about 100 times?)

This milkshake is another one of my Vita-Mix Recipes.

But it works in a regular blender, too. My Magic Bullet was easily able to handle it.

vegan-strawberry-shake

Why not also bake some Cauliflower Chicken Nuggets

McDonalds of the Future?

Maybe in ten or twenty years, places like McDonalds will be serving healthy foods, as opposed to Big Macs and McFlurries. They’re already heading in that direction, with new menu offerings such as apple dippers and oatmeal. Consumers have become increasingly more health-conscious in the past decade, and movies and books like Super Size Me and Fast Food Nation are swaying public opinion even further towards the side of health. I really feel like the growing demand for healthier restaurant options will soon render obsolete our current definition of “fast food.” But maybe I am just an idealist?

Question of the Day:

Do you think fast food places will become healthier in the future?

Can you imagine Burger King serving lentil curry? Or Wendy’s giving out Spinach Frostys? (Hmm, maybe Spinach Frostys is taking it a little too far…)

1. Jen says:

I hope fast food places become healthier in the future! The world can only benefit from healthier people. If the already existing places don’t become healthier, I have faith that new fast food places will emerge, featuring fresh and local ingredients (and lots of vegan & GF options). Society is catching on (I’ve really seen a boom in GF awareness lately) and food establishments (even fast food places) are going to need to step up their game if they want more business. Unfortunately, there will always be people who love fast food places no matter how unhealthy they are, which means it might be a while until we see a Spinach Frosty. Haha! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for that one!

2. Unfortunately I don’t see fast food becoming healthier. The public votes with their dollars and there are still way too many people out there who want their happy meals. I do like that there are some “better for you options” so in a pinch I can find something on grab on the road.

3. Congratulations!!!!! 😀 😀 So happy for you! 😀 The fast food places of the future may sell healthy food, but I don’t know, unhealthy food has lots of fans, so its surely a large source of profits… hmmm…. but I really really wish McDonalds in Singapore would start having vegan options. The only food I want and like enough to eat is the fries… with garlic chilli sauce and curry dip. Ohhh… 😀

PS: I love the strawberry milkshake! Its so pink and pretty!!!! 😀 😀 And with that strawberry hand in hand? Just divine!

4. This looks amazing!!! Side note–I just got a food processor and am now able to make all of these wonderful recipes that my little blender could not handle. Cannot wait to make this!

5. I sure hope that restaurants become a healthier with time. If they don’t the obesity issues of our country are only going to get worse!!!!

6. I think that will take a huge cultural shift that our country is very resistant too. As part of the blog world its easy to get caught up thinking everyone is on their way to healthy lifestyle but I think we (or at least I) forget that so much of the country is on the other end of the spectrum. We can only hope (and keep creating fun healthy recipes like you do) that more and more people will eventually make better choices…

7. YUM!!! I make a strawberry shake just like this-so good! The cocoa powder is a good addition, too, because it tastes like chocolate-dipped strawberries in shake form!

And you know what, I think fast food restaurants are getting healthier and healthier each year. I still don’t eat at them, but the awareness level of healthy food is really growing and so many businesses are picking up on it.

8. Kinsey says:

I would love to see healthier options at fast food places. I was so excited when I saw oatmeal added to the McDonalds menu but not so excited after reading- http://www.healthhoot.com/2011/02/how-to-make-oatmeal-worse-than-a-snickers-bar/
    Check it out and tell me if you feel just as dissappointed :(

9. I think unfortunately that’s a very idealistic view – there will always be a demand for junk food. But hopefully healthy options will continue to grow!

10. Riri says:

Unfortunately I doubt fast food places would ever be healthy. It wouldn’t be “fast” food if it was. I do see them providing a couple better options so that they’d potentially have health-concious customers as well, which I suppose is already somewhat being done. But do we *really* think the better options are actually healthy and not just lower-calorie? another question to ponder…

1. VERY good point! Society has brainwashed people into thinking that high cal = bad and low cal = good. It is NOT that simple! A handful of walnuts make for a much more nutritious snack than a lower-calorie twinkie!

11. saskia says:

hey katie! :)
    this shake looks YUM! 😀

healthier fast-food menus? i think this is gonna take some more decades(ok, maybe i’m being pessimistic here;))..

i would love if you’d put my blog in your blogroll, you’re already in mine!
    oh, and if you’re interested, go & check out my band: facebook.com/ohitastethequeen

:) have a nice day, whether sunny or chilly!

12. I think fast food places want people to THINK they’re eating healthfully, when in actuality the oatmeal and fruit smoothies are probably still loaded with unnecessary, entirely processed ingredients. But I’ll still live in an idealist world with you and hope that our nation catches on and demands better for themselves!

This shake looks amazing. I would have loved it yesterday when it was over 80*, but today it hasn’t even hit 60* yet! Thick shakes are the absolute best.

13. I think being an idealist is the way to go! How else has anything in the world ever been changed? Keep believin’, sistah! I’m right there with ya! :)

14. I definitely think fast food places will be come healthier, but I think spinach smoothies and lentils is definitely pushing it. They’ll probably start with healthier versions of what they already serve to keep their customer base. Although I would LOVE some indian-inspired fast food! Also, I know you use a Vitamix, but do you happen to know of any other really good blenders that aren’t as expensive? I want to ask for one for my birthday next month but the vitamix is the only one i hear about (haha yes, i realize that’s because it’s probably like magic).

1. Magic Bullet Magic Bullet Magic Bullet!!! !!!
      😉
      Seriously, though, I use that thing every single day. And if you print off a coupon for Bed Bath Beyond, you can even get 20% off!

1. I was thinking about getting that! I’ll have to give it a try, and thanks for the coupon tip! There’s a Bed Bath and Beyond just a half mile up the street from me, so I’ll have to get it soon!

15. I don’t think fast food places will ever entirely stray from their burgers-and-fries roots (and that’s fine by me – sometimes homegirl just wants a late night bag of french fries!) but it’s nice to see that they are coming up with more healthy options (and veg-friendly ones too, hello BK gardenburger!!!)

16. Jenny says:

Lovely pictures in this post. Just had to say that first. Great food styling!
    I hate to be a downer, but, although fast food places are offering healthy options, I highly doubt that fast food will disappear altogether. Especially in third world countries, there will always be a demand. Well, at least until those countries become more developed. I don’t know for sure of course, but it seems like there will always be some people, somewhere, that refuse to give up their supersized burgers and coke and fries, etc. I think fast food could even be made healthier if it was just once again made with REAL ingredients as opposed to corn-everything! Of course, then it’s too expensive, time-consuming, (insert other excuses from the fast food industry) and so on. Oh well… It’s nice that more and more people are picking healthier options, though!

17. haha my body does not what season it is either…although be loving winter squashes again, and still loving summer fruit like watermelon.

congrats on FB!!! that is awesome, we are still working to break 1000

xoxo

1. I am one of your avid “like-ers” !!! :)

18. Holly says:

I could definitely see fast food chains becoming healthier in the future! Maybe it’s the idealist in my as well, but I agree that our culture is heading in that direction. Natural/Organic foods are becoming somewhat trendy! (Yay!)

19. Sarah says:

I’m sorry, but i would pass out if burger king sold lentil curry because i HATE lentil anything, or if Wendy’s served spinach frostys. If that EVER happens, Wendy can kiss her little pigtail braids goodbye. Sometimes a little fast food is that little indulgence i love to have on road trips, you know like to the grocery store :) Anyhow, i would REALLY miss the expression on people’s faces when my dad orders 6 20-piece Mcnuggets, 5 burgers, 6 chicken sandwiches, and 8 large cocoas. I tell ya, you should see their smiles the minute we come through, as big as my smile when i saw this milkshake.

20. Megan says:

Your shake looks so refreshing! I haven’t had anything resembling a strawberry shake in a long time. As for fast food restaurants, I don’t see it changing in the near future. Unfortunately, processed food is cheaper than fresh produce and can usually be made in larger quantities. As long as people are willing to pay for convenience (which seems likely in our fast paced, “need it now” society), fast food restaurants will continue to offer what gives them economies of scale. Given the abundance of corn and corn-fed beef in America, they have certainly achieved that cost efficiency. I also know that a lot of people deny that what they are eating is bad for them (case in point, I was addicted to Diet Coke, despite knowing about aspartame, but have not had one in 2 months!) Anyways…now that I have left a ridiculously long comment, THANK YOU for always posting delicious recipes that are affordable and nutritious!

1. I love ridiculously-long comments! And you are so right… sadly. Ugh, I just wish people would realize that cheap food will COST us in the long run, in the form of doctor bills!

21. I hope restaurants get healthier, but honestly I wish sit down/casual restaurants were healthier. I think with time they will get better, but people are still buying the Big Macs and french fries, so I wonder if restaurants even think it would make sense to change up their practices.

Love this thick thick shake!

22. Albizia says:

Your blog ate my comment :( . And I am too tired to write it again because it is 1 am and the only reason I am awake is because the adrenaline rush doesn’t let me fall asleep. It looks like my frozen strawberries will survive for a little longer 😀 .

1. I hate when blogs eat comments! That is the worst :(. I tried to find you in spam, but apparently spam got hungry and didn’t keep you around long. Must’ve been a very yummy comment :) :).

23. This looks delicious!! I usually am not a big milkshake fan because I’d rather eat things slower and with a spoon, but this looks so thick and yummy that I can eat it out of a bowl! I think you bought up an interesting concept- it would be great if fast food restaurants really were eradicated. I hope that is the way our future is headed!!

PS I would love it if you would like my page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glitz-Glam-Granola/245050322200466

24. That would be sweet in the future! This looks amazing :)

25. vegirl says:

I think fast food will only become healthier if we change the definition of “fast”. Does it mean quick food-like-substance out of a package, or quick service of healthy foods?

26. I think that it won’t be anytime soon that fast food restaurants give up their unhealthy options but they are taking steps in the right direction. Burger king now offers oatmeal for breakfast. I think we definitely need to take a cue from foreign fast food places. I remember this one fast food burger place I went to in Japan had veggie burgers served on buns made of rice and green tea lattes.

27. Burger King does have their veggie burger. I liked it better when they used to flame-broil it, but people complained that the meat/juices from the beef mixed with the veggie burger thus making it no longer veggie…so they started microwaving the patties instead. Not nearly as good now :(

28. Amber K says:

I think for them to actually become “healthy” would take more years than any of us have left on Earth. Maybe I’m just cynical, but this is a case where I wouldn’t mind being wrong!

29. Wow! 4,000!!! That’s awesome! And that shake looks AMAZING!!!! I love that you used coconut milk. So creamy!

30. whitney says:

When I left for school today I had ice on my car! Ahhh! WTF, michigan. Either way, I would drink this asap! Yum!
    Have a good day Katie!

Whitney

31. I hope iconic places like McD’s and IN-N-Out never stop serving burgers (even thought I don’t eat them) and milkshakes, because I think it’s important to understand that a small fry is a treat we should reward ourselves with from time to tome, but I definitely think there will be huge overhauls in the not so distant future. I predict that so long as the public want it, they will use better quality ingredients and begin to offer more and more veggie burgers, whole grains, and fresh produce. McD’s seems to be leading the way. I think as soon as they offer some sort of quality veggie burger and on-to-go produce options (as opposed to BK’s soggy microwaver veg burger – they still get effort points), the rest will follow suit. Maybe we should start a petition to get McD’s to pair up with Amy’s :-)

32. Sarah M says:

If fast food places ever become healthy it will be because they start serving real food that isn’t full of junk carbs and sugar. It’s no good that they’re trending towards franken oatmeal and apples with caramel sauce.

33. stacey says:

Hi Katie! Love your milkshakes! Any chance theres a recipe on her for raw sugar cookie dough balls? Maybe I’ve missed it!? thx!

1. I did try to do a sugar cookie dough ball once… it failed miserably! The closest thing I have is my raw snickerdoodle babies, but they taste more like Larabar’s cinnamon bun bars than sugar cookies. I still have sugar cookie dough balls on my to-do list! Maybe for Christmas! :)

34. Moni'sMeals says:

not a big strawberry shake person, I need chocolate! but this does look super great Katie!

Do you think fast food places will become healthier in the future?
    well, I hope and pray with the type 2 Diabetes in this country…it all comes down to one thing…money, money, money.

Love that Jamie Oliver. :)

35. That shake looks amazing. As for fast food restaurants, I don’t know…there are SOME smarter choices in some of them, but I’m not sure they’ll ever be viewed as “healthy” overall.

If you don’t already like my page, please do! http://www.facebook.com/IWasBornToCook

36. Grishma says:

Your strawberry shake lookss sooooo refreshing. I feel like making one right now. But today we need cinnamon bun more than a shake :) Anyways, congratulations for your 4000 hits.
    Here’s my page, if you are interested I would like your company :) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zaika-Zabardast/218738074805607

Cheers!
    Grishma

37. Katherine says:

I feel like if I can cook a meal for myself in 10-15 minutes that’s healthier than most restaurant food, fast food places can step up their game. One thing I’ve loved seeing, though, is that so many restaurants are starting to offer vegetarian/vegan options. So refreshing!

Unfortunately, I haven’t eaten strawberries in quite a while. My best friend (and roommate last year) has a life-threatening allergy last year, so we couldn’t keep any strawberry products around, and I just got accustomed to not buying them. However, this looks like a delicious way to get back into munching on strawberries!

38. Aja says:

That looks super yummy. I have to add strawberries to my grocery list. Just looking at the pictures is making me thirsty!

39. bitt of raw says:

i am more of the type that wants to put mcD’s out of business and then have other places with healthy food there instead. i just can’t put that much faith in mcD’s that it will change. and even if they did have some vegan items, i’d never support them because of the abuses they’ve done to animals.

1. Oh a world where McDonalds is out of business… ah, such a dream! I remember being conflicted when the BK Veggie came out, because I wanted to support the effort so that they’d keep it around, but I also didn’t want to give the company my money. (I ended up never buying one.)

40. Gen says:

Yummy!!! I love strawberry anything!! 😀 I really, really hope that fast food places start serving healthy foods other than icky, wilted “salads”! haha
    Anyway, could you pleeease like my fb page? I just started it and only have a handful of likes….:P

41. Em says:

YAY! katie we think too alike. everytime there is a recipe on your blog i always just made something similiar! haha :-)
    i had strawberries today!
    my facebook page is this: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pureglow16/155631864499751
    i would LOVE some like love :-) i would SCREAM if i had 4000 likes!!!

42. Charissa says:

Voted for you on the Food Buzz awards for best single topic blog! :)

1. Wow, that pretty much made my day! If I get around to voting, I will be sure to vote for you somewhere!!

43. I would LOVE for fast foods to get a bit more healthier, besides salads that is. It would be so great and convenient. My parents both worked full time jobs and my sister and I were big into dancing, cheerleading and piano … so most of our meals were on the run. It caught up and I was very large 7th-12th grade. I would love to be able to have this not happen to my own child way far in the future :)

Love that milkshake! Sounds so rich and creamy {licking lips}

44. Emily says:

Hey, can you PLEASE come up with a recipe for a Spinach Frosty?! I would love that! Talk about kicking some green smoothie butt!!

1. Man, I think I need to!

*Puts it at top of the list*

1. Emily says:

:) Haha. Really, it’s no wonder you have 4,000 likes! I’m surprised you don’t have a million at the rate I tell people about this site!

2. Aww Emily, I can’t even tell you how much that means to me!!

45. Ellen says:

I definitely think fast food places are going to have to keep getting healthier. I’ve also noticed that there are lots more fast healthy places here in Los Angeles, like The Veggie Grill.
    About that can of pumpkin-next time it’s a hot day, maybe you could concoct a pumpkin shake or vegan pumpkin ice cream? That would be delicious:)

1. LOL I have so many pumpkin ideas… I feel like I am going to scare people away with all the pumpkin recipes I want to post between now and Thanksgiving ;).

1. Ellen says:

You can never have too much pumpkin! I love it so much I did a whole week of pumpkin recipes in the spring when everyone is supposed to be talking about asparagas, just to be a rebel, haha.

46. Yum, can’t wait for strawberry season so that I can make this!

Congrats on passing the 4000 mark! I’d love it if you could “like” my music page on FB :) http://facebook.com/malikorsten xxx

47. Congrats on 4000 fans. Wow! That’s impressive and just shows how many people love you :)

I love the pics of the milkshake. The first one on the wood, the contrast, so pretty.

And fast food that’s healthy food…well, we can dream, right? :)

48. YUM! -THe weather here in Kansas is a trip as well! Get your act together, Mother Nature! Get your act TOGETHER!!!
    Mmmmm, milkshake that I would go for! Maybe one day the fast food chains will decide to do the right thing and help us be a healthier nation!

49. Melissa says:

4,000 Likes?!? Congrats, doll! That’s awesome! :)

I need this milkshake. Like, now. Coconut milk makes the world a better place!