Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats

chocolate rice crispies

I used to love crayons. A lot.

I’d entertain myself for hours with a pad of paper and box of Crayolas. My favorite part was probably the built-in pencil sharpener; but I liked the funny color names too. Did you know there was once a color called “Dirty Sneakers”? Or “Dingy Dungeon”?

Sometime around the years of fourth or fifth grade, crayons stepped aside to make room for markers, and later gelly roll pens. (Anyone remember those?) But on my first day of college, we were asked to make name tags… and they gave us crayons!

Everyone was so excited; you would’ve thought they were handing out candy. Or money.

Yeah, that would’ve been nice.

None of this has much to do with rice crispy treats, except that I was at the store a few days ago and spotted crayons on sale for 25 cents. So I bought a pack and threw them into the photoshoot.

school snack

The following is based on my Rice Crispy Treat Babies. I thought the chocolate version deserved its own post. Chocolate should never be just a side note. (By the way, don’t you think Crayola is long overdue for the creation of a “chocolate” crayon? Preferably a scented one. Then again… if they came out with something like that, it could be dangerous; I’d want to eat it! They’re probably better off sticking with the aforementioned dirty sneakers.)

Cocoa Crispy Treats

(can be gluten-free!)

Recipe inspired by these babies.

• 3 cups rice crispies (I used gf brown rice crispies)
  • 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt (I used salted pb, too)
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp nut butter of choice (For lower-cal option, see calorie link below.)
  • 1/2 cup sticky sweetener ( (I used agave. For low-sugar options, see calorie link below.)
  • optional: 1/4 cup cocoa powder (or your favorite chocolate protein powder)
  • optional: melted chocolate to drizzle over the top

Mix your pb (or other nut butter of choice), sweetener, vanilla, cocoa, and salt. Melt (either in the microwave or stove), then pour over the cereal and stir very well, making sure to coat all the crispies. (For a richer chocolate taste, try subbing chocolate chips for some of the cocoa powder.)  Form into balls or line a pan with wax paper and spread the mixture evenly into the pan. Place a sheet of wax paper on top of the mixture, then press down as firmly as you can. Really press it down! Freeze for at least a half hour before slicing.

See: Lower-Calorie Options

These treats can be stored in the freezer, in the fridge, or loosely covered in a cool, dry place. But, as with the non-chocolate version, the best place to store them is in your tummy.

chocolate rice crispies

Question of the Day:

Did you like crayons when you were little?

Honestly, I think my mom liked crayons even more than I did. Before discovering them, I had a love affair with smelly markers, and I’d always come home from preschool with dots all over my nose. Switching to Crayolas saved quite a bit of scrubbing my face :).

Also: I’m amazed so many people want to be CCK taste-testers!!!

Amazed and excited! But obviously the email idea is not going to work, and there’s no way I’m turning willing volunteers away. So I’m trying to find an easier way to share the recipes. Stay tuned. After figuring it out, I’ll post more info later this week. Thank you so so much to all the volunteers!

Tags: , , , ,

1. Especially the yellow ones! I want to try this! With banana butter 😀

2. I loved crayons, and I STILL do! Crayons > Markers anyday. Really.

Those rice crispy treats look amazing. I’ve always wanted a recipe that doesn’t have a jumbo bag of marshmellows in it..I’m really not a marshmellow fan. But this recipe? Marshmellow free and delicious. I am definitely going to give this a whirl, like RIGHT NOW 🙂

3. AWW these bring back memories! i used to eat rice crispy treats all the time when i was little! CRAYONs are awesome! i still lov em!

4. AWW these bring back memories! i used to eat rice crispy treats all the time when i was little! CRAYONs are awesome! i still lov em!!

5. Lissa says:

One of the best parts of being a teacher is buying school supplies every year. I’m 26 and STILL love crayons! 🙂

6. Demelza says:

Hi Katie,

I didn’t get around to commenting yesterday but I wanted to say that it’s such a sweet idea that you’re willing to let so many people be taste testers for your recipe. Typically, it’s “if you’re in the [blablabla] area, and want a CHANCE to become a [blablabla] taste tester, then [jump through all these hoops]!” It’s so refreshing to see someone who’s willing to let everyone get in on the fun!

As for today’s question: Crayons (still working out how exactly I pronounce that) were okay, but my love has really always been colored pencils. It bummed me out whenever crayons would get so dull–there was no way to sharpen them!–and markers always left my drawings streaky. Colored pencils were beautiful and easy to blend and I didn’t have to worry about how I would sharpen them.

7. vegirl says:

Rice crispy treats (the non-vegan kind) were some of the first sweet treats I ever made myself. And I was the little art kid– I thought I would be an art teacher when I grew up! I loved clay, pencil drawing, markers, paint, you name it! My grandparents would always gift me art kits at Chrsitmas ;). And I loved crayons– there is a picture of me at three (I think?) drawing with crayons on the table, which my parents would cover with hugs industrial sheets of paper, that taped the perimeter of the table, so I wouldn’t be able to draw on the table (I would not stay on the paper!).

One more story: I loved markers, and at five years old, I was infatuated with the Japanese tv series Sailor Moon (you lived in Japan… maybe you know it?). When my mom was gone one day, I decided to draw sailor moon boots on my legs with the markers… yeah, mommy wasn’t happy.

8. Jana says:

Where do you get your Rice-Crispies from?
    I do not really know what you mean… Is it like cereal? Or puffed rice? ect.

1. Jana: Rice Crispies is a brand name of a crispy rice cereal. Puffed rice will be softer and not yield quite the same result; the treats will be more chewy than crispie. Kellogs makes the Rice Crispies, but I’ve seen other brands of crisp rice cereal in the natural foods section of my local grocery store.

9. Chocolate Rice Krispy treats used to be my favorite! I think I’ll try making a chocolate peanut butter version of these! 😀

10. Riri says:

I think I liked plain old color pencils better than crayons 😛

11. M says:

Ummm… I still Doodle with crayons! I like to do it to zone out and clear my mind 😉 just bought a huge box and I swear, that sharpener is 100x better than I remember!

12. I absolutely loved crayons as a child. My favorite colors were Tickle Me Pink and Cerulean. I always remember arguing with my mom about getting the box that was big enough to have the built in sharpener because she just didn’t think it was necessary. Once 5th grade rolled around, gel pens were all the rage. I remember decorating my paper bag book covers with them. Also, can’t forget all of the girls doodling their crushes’ names on their hands with them! lol.

13. Jenny says:

I’d argue that the Crayola mention in this post is highly relevant… I think Rice Crispy Treats are a childhood thing to a lot of people, just as Crayolas are! 😉 Rice Crispy Treats weren’t a part of my childhood (like you, I grew up in other countries; most of my childhood was spent in Singapore, so things like Pocky and [disgustingly] bug-containing lollipops remind me of being a kid [<– never ate one, by the way!]) but Crayolas definitely were! Strangely enough, my mom LOVES the smell of Crayola crayons… They have to be Crayola, too. I wanted to make her a Crayola perfume when I was a kid, but I don't think my dad would like that.

If I try to make your rice crispy treats… they will be the first ones I'll have tried! I'll definitely try these chocolate ones before the "regular" ones, though. 🙂

Have a great Sunday!

14. Yum! Crayons and this recipe rocks! 🙂

15. I haven’t seen a crayola crayon for years- man I’m feeling old round about now. Love the look of these treats!

16. Shelby says:

I HATE the smell of crayons but I love using them! I even have my own coloring book that my little brothers can’t use!

Crispy treats are my favorite dessert (besides carrot cake of course) and this chocolate version is just blowing my mind! So tasty!

1. Ooh carrot cake… what if we did carrot cake rice crispy treats?! That could be awesome!

17. Amber K says:

Crayons were the best. I loved markers too, but only when they were fresh as soon as they started to dry out I couldn’t stand them. And gelly roll pens rocked! Ahh the joys of feeling young again. 🙂

18. I used to love crayons when I was a kid…until I ate some, got really sick, and ended up getting my stomach pumped! 😛

Rice crispy treats are my FAVE!! I definitely need to get some puffed rice so I can make these!! I remember making some from Oh She Glows a while back and randomly blending everything together and it was EVEN BETTER! You should try it it’s sooooo good!! Oh and I LOVE all the PB in this recipe! Sounds like my heaven! 😀

LOVE YOU!! <3