My Vegan Thanksgiving Feast

Who’s still full from Thanksgiving?

Well, I’m pretty sure this guy is:

sleeping batman

He was so incredibly naughty on Thursday night. My parents hosted a party at their house, with separate kid and adult tables to fit everyone. After dinner, one of the kids left his plate and didn’t push his chair completely in. We discovered Batman on the table, eating all the leftovers!

For my own meal, I munched on all the vegan appetizers and sides (including raw veggies, eggplant dip, and my grandma’s famous lemon broccoli). Then, as a main course:

vegan thanksgiving

I made a delicious batch of High-Protein Mushroom Stroganoff.

I thought it could count as being Thanksgiving-y thanks to the thick mushroom gravy and sweet carrots and green beans. I served mine over barley; other guests ate it as a side dish, and they kept serving themselves more even after I told them the ingredients. Good thing I made a giant batch… although I’d really been hoping for leftovers.

Then there was dessert. Of course there was dessert.

chocolate pecan pie

apple pies

I couldn’t decide whether to make pecan pie or pumpkin pie mousse or mini apple pies for Thanksgiving, so I ended up making them all. I figured it was a good time to experiment, since there’d be lots of taste-testers. And thankfully, my wonderful sister helped a ton with the apple pies so I wasn’t stuck in the kitchen all day.

The pecan pie and pumpkin mousse were big hits. However, I never actually served the apple pies. They looked adorable… but looks aren’t everything; the crust tasted awful.

pumpkin-brownie

So at the last minute, I made Dark-Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies.

Definitely a good call.

Without a doubt, they were the most well-received food item of the entire night (well, except for maybe the stuffing. For some reason, people really seem to love Thanksgiving stuffing. Personally, I don’t see how it can compete with chocolate!)

As for the pies, I’ll get those recipes up this week. Due to the holidays, I tried to hold off from posting new recipes last week when I knew a lot of people wouldn’t be reading blogs– readers often ask me to go slower so they have a chance to catch up… but it feels like ages since I’ve posted a new recipe! That all ends tomorrow.

Start your engines ovens. 🙂

Now, what to do with this naughty puppy???

1. Katie, you have no idea how excited I am for your next recipe!!! So glad you enjoyed your thanksgiving feast!

2. Dawn says:

My chihuahua gets his own Thanksgiving plate. We don’t give him much food but he gets a sample of mashed potatoes, turkey, and ham. I guess your dog did not want to feel let out…lol.

Pretty cool that people still ate your dish after they found out what was in it.

3. Shelly says:

Listen, Batman was NOT at fault here! The kid was the culprit… didn’t push his chair in, didn’t finish his food, didn’t clear his plate from the table… a dog’s rules are different.. if it’s there… it’s fair game!

I say, punish the kid. LOL

4. Haha I’ve found my dog doing the same thing before! I think Batman and Buddy would be best friends/great partners in crime 😉

Those brownies are at the top of my to-make list for sure!! Just need to stock up on more pumpkin…I’ve gone through 2 cans a week for the past month! 😛

5. Kathleen says:

I’m not much of a stuffing person either. It must be the whole no-chocolate thing. 😉

I’m sorry to hear that the crust wasn’t so good. They look adoreable though! 🙂 Make sure to share the recipe once you get it right! 🙂

6. Aja says:

It looks like you had a very delicious Thanksgiving meal!
    It’s always sad when crust isn’t tasty. I had a slice of pumpkin pie yesterday and the crust had the worst aftertaste. I ended up just eating the pumpkin part off of the crust.

7. Kit-Kat says:

Aw, just let the whole thing slide with Batman. It was a special day, after all!
    We’ve gone from dogless to watching over a family’s dog! I’m so happy (it’s a family who we had over on Thanksgiving, and since they are moving, they want us to watch her for us). We’ve watched over the dog before, and she is a sweetie pie! Of course, most black labs are totally adoring! 🙂
    I do miss my collie boys, though 🙁

8. I looove Batman,he’s such a cutie 😀

9. Audrey says:

Aww… Batman is a cutie! I have a bad little black chihuahua, and he is an expert food thief, too. 🙂
    Would you share your pecan pie recipe? Would love to have it at Christmas!

10. Michele says:

Have you tried the shake a can method? Set out some food as ‘bait,’ and then when he goes for it, sneak up behind him and shake a can of pennies. That will startle him into rethinking food thieving! Especially if you try it a couple of times.

I made all your pies this year! Chocolate Fudge, Pumpkin, and Pumpkin Chocolate. Everyone was completely fooled that they’d eaten tofu! My friend was particularly pleased that she could pig out on the chocolate – she thought she’d eaten a pound of cream 😉

1. Ooh thanks for the idea! I’ve been using a sprayer bottle (if he nips at Henry), but I’ll try your idea!

11. Yum! Sounds like a great Thanksgiving 🙂

12. Amber K says:

He is so cute, I couldn’t be mad 🙂

Such a bummer that the crust tasted awful, because they sure look tasty! Especially because apple pie is my favorite. And how is it possible that stuffing can compare to brownies? To be fair, I think stuffing is just about the most disgusting food ever. But c’mon, brownies!!

13. Rebecca says:

Those little pies are cute, sorry the crust didn’t taste good! Have you checked out the new book Vegan Pie in the Sky yet? They have some really excellent looking crust recipes and good technique discussion too.

1. I haven’t seen it yet, but I love their cupcake book! They are culinary geniuses :).

14. I love that everyone enjoyed your dish so much! And of course they enjoyed the chocolate! haha, who wouldn’t???

15. Kate says:

My bird was flying around when we were eating on Thanksgiving and he jumped straight into my brother’s mashed potatoes and tried to take a taste! Haha, he’s such a piglet- when there’s a lot of food around, he tries to eat it all 🙂

1. Awww! Wat kind of bird do you have? I used to have a Quaker Parrot… I miss her :(.

16. Em says:

sounds like an awesome thanksgiving! your puppy looks 2 cute 🙂

17. Sorry about your crust 🙁 That’s okay, though, the filling is the best part anyway! The stroganoff looks delicious; I’m going to have to try that sometime!

18. I’m not surprised the stroganoff got “gobbled” up–I made your recipe for it last year and it was fabulous 🙂

19. Rebecca says:

Batman is so cute! I’m glad you enjoyed your thanksgiving feast, and I can’t wait for the pecan pie recipe. It seems like vegan pecan pies are hard to come by.

20. I am SO EXCITED for your pecan pie recipe!! Seriously cannot wait.

…thankfully my cat doesn’t like vegan food, so she never eats off our plates 😀 haha, there’s never meat in the house. I’ve tried feeding her bananas, but she’s not into those 😛