Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

My Vegan Thanksgiving Feast

Who’s still full from Thanksgiving?

Well, I’m pretty sure this guy is:

sleeping batman

He was so incredibly naughty on Thursday night. My parents hosted a party at their house, with separate kid and adult tables to fit everyone. After dinner, one of the kids left his plate and didn’t push his chair completely in. We discovered Batman on the table, eating all the leftovers!

For my own meal, I munched on all the vegan appetizers and sides (including raw veggies, eggplant dip, and my grandma’s famous lemon broccoli). Then, as a main course:

vegan thanksgiving

I made a delicious batch of High-Protein Mushroom Stroganoff.

I thought it could count as being Thanksgiving-y thanks to the thick mushroom gravy and sweet carrots and green beans. I served mine over barley; other guests ate it as a side dish, and they kept serving themselves more even after I told them the ingredients. Good thing I made a giant batch… although I’d really been hoping for leftovers.

Then there was dessert. Of course there was dessert.

chocolate pecan pie

apple pies

I couldn’t decide whether to make pecan pie or pumpkin pie mousse or mini apple pies for Thanksgiving, so I ended up making them all. I figured it was a good time to experiment, since there’d be lots of taste-testers. And thankfully, my wonderful sister helped a ton with the apple pies so I wasn’t stuck in the kitchen all day.

The pecan pie and pumpkin mousse were big hits. However, I never actually served the apple pies. They looked adorable… but looks aren’t everything; the crust tasted awful.

So at the last minute, I made Dark-Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies.

Definitely a good call.

Without a doubt, they were the most well-received food item of the entire night (well, except for maybe the stuffing. For some reason, people really seem to love Thanksgiving stuffing. Personally, I don’t see how it can compete with chocolate!)

As for the pies, I’ll get those recipes up this week. Due to the holidays, I tried to hold off from posting new recipes last week when I knew a lot of people wouldn’t be reading blogs– readers often ask me to go slower so they have a chance to catch up… but it feels like ages since I’ve posted a new recipe! That all ends tomorrow.

Start your engines ovens. :)

Now, what to do with this naughty puppy???

1. Katie, you have no idea how excited I am for your next recipe!!! So glad you enjoyed your thanksgiving feast!

2. Dawn says:

My chihuahua gets his own Thanksgiving plate. We don’t give him much food but he gets a sample of mashed potatoes, turkey, and ham. I guess your dog did not want to feel let out…lol.

Pretty cool that people still ate your dish after they found out what was in it.

3. Shelly says:

Listen, Batman was NOT at fault here! The kid was the culprit… didn’t push his chair in, didn’t finish his food, didn’t clear his plate from the table… a dog’s rules are different.. if it’s there… it’s fair game!

I say, punish the kid. LOL

4. Haha I’ve found my dog doing the same thing before! I think Batman and Buddy would be best friends/great partners in crime 😉

Those brownies are at the top of my to-make list for sure!! Just need to stock up on more pumpkin…I’ve gone through 2 cans a week for the past month! 😛

5. Kathleen says:

I’m not much of a stuffing person either. It must be the whole no-chocolate thing. 😉

I’m sorry to hear that the crust wasn’t so good. They look adoreable though! :) Make sure to share the recipe once you get it right! :)

6. Aja says:

It looks like you had a very delicious Thanksgiving meal!
    It’s always sad when crust isn’t tasty. I had a slice of pumpkin pie yesterday and the crust had the worst aftertaste. I ended up just eating the pumpkin part off of the crust.

7. Moni'sMeals says:

My dogs did the exact same thing. Some how they saw droppings all day long and were like eagles on it. :)

Sounded like a lovely Thanksgiving. I hear ya…looks aren’t everything, taste is! They sure looked cute though. :)

8. Kit-Kat says:

Aw, just let the whole thing slide with Batman. It was a special day, after all!
    We’ve gone from dogless to watching over a family’s dog! I’m so happy (it’s a family who we had over on Thanksgiving, and since they are moving, they want us to watch her for us). We’ve watched over the dog before, and she is a sweetie pie! Of course, most black labs are totally adoring! :-)
    I do miss my collie boys, though :-(

9. I looove Batman,he’s such a cutie 😀

10. Audrey says:

Aww… Batman is a cutie! I have a bad little black chihuahua, and he is an expert food thief, too. :)
    Would you share your pecan pie recipe? Would love to have it at Christmas!

11. Michele says:

Have you tried the shake a can method? Set out some food as ‘bait,’ and then when he goes for it, sneak up behind him and shake a can of pennies. That will startle him into rethinking food thieving! Especially if you try it a couple of times.

I made all your pies this year! Chocolate Fudge, Pumpkin, and Pumpkin Chocolate. Everyone was completely fooled that they’d eaten tofu! My friend was particularly pleased that she could pig out on the chocolate – she thought she’d eaten a pound of cream 😉

1. Ooh thanks for the idea! I’ve been using a sprayer bottle (if he nips at Henry), but I’ll try your idea!

12. Yum! Sounds like a great Thanksgiving :)

13. Amber K says:

He is so cute, I couldn’t be mad :)

Such a bummer that the crust tasted awful, because they sure look tasty! Especially because apple pie is my favorite. And how is it possible that stuffing can compare to brownies? To be fair, I think stuffing is just about the most disgusting food ever. But c’mon, brownies!!

14. Rebecca says:

Those little pies are cute, sorry the crust didn’t taste good! Have you checked out the new book Vegan Pie in the Sky yet? They have some really excellent looking crust recipes and good technique discussion too.

1. I haven’t seen it yet, but I love their cupcake book! They are culinary geniuses :).

15. That’s too bad the crust tasted awful b/c they look adorable!! The lattice work is too cute!

Batman is a very smart guy to hang out under the table :)

16. I love that everyone enjoyed your dish so much! And of course they enjoyed the chocolate! haha, who wouldn’t???

17. Kate says:

My bird was flying around when we were eating on Thanksgiving and he jumped straight into my brother’s mashed potatoes and tried to take a taste! Haha, he’s such a piglet- when there’s a lot of food around, he tries to eat it all :)

1. Awww! Wat kind of bird do you have? I used to have a Quaker Parrot… I miss her :(.

18. Em says:

sounds like an awesome thanksgiving! your puppy looks 2 cute :)

19. Sorry about your crust :( That’s okay, though, the filling is the best part anyway! The stroganoff looks delicious; I’m going to have to try that sometime!

20. I’m not surprised the stroganoff got “gobbled” up–I made your recipe for it last year and it was fabulous :)

21. Rebecca says:

Batman is so cute! I’m glad you enjoyed your thanksgiving feast, and I can’t wait for the pecan pie recipe. It seems like vegan pecan pies are hard to come by.

22. I am SO EXCITED for your pecan pie recipe!! Seriously cannot wait.

…thankfully my cat doesn’t like vegan food, so she never eats off our plates 😀 haha, there’s never meat in the house. I’ve tried feeding her bananas, but she’s not into those 😛

23. That stroganoff looks so tasty! I made a stuffed seitan loaf that the attendees were skeptical of. More for me! And a pumpkin cheesecake that I am still drooling over. My kitten has been so naughty lately too! Though she didn’t eat my leftovers. She’s been trying to eat everything else!

24. Crystal says:

I also made a vegan pecan pie for Thanksgiving … it was SOOOOO good nobody could tell wasn’t a “Normal” pecan pie AND no one had any clue that I didn’t add a single grain of sugar, drop of sweetener of any kind!! I can’t wait to see your recipe I have a feeling they are similar, although mine didn’t have chocolate!!

1. Oh wow, yours sounds better than mine! Mine does use agave.

25. Those mini apple pies are adorable!

26. Lou says:

Wow, your skin and hair is simply GLOWING. Here’s to a vegan diet for looking amazingly healthy! Sounds like a great Thanksgiving was had by all (in particular your little pup!)

27. I wish I was at your feast, looks delish!

28. That main course looks amazeballz. good work 😉

29. Lol that sounds exactly like my dog. As soon as you look away she will pounce on your food. Especially if its melon or squash, she loves her veggies!

30. LOL
    Can you blame Batman?
    How was his tummy afterwards?

BTW everything looks amazing!

1. I’m not sure… he lives at my parents’ house, so they would’ve had to clean it :-?. I do know that he snuck some chocolate one time and he was perfectly fine afterwards. We have to watch him like a hawk!

31. Rachel says:

Hey Katie! Unrelated question: do you have any ideas on how I can give plain unsweetened yogurt a cheesecake flavour?

1. Hmmm… Tofutti cream cheese? Or maybe nutritional yeast? And some vanilla extract? I was thinking about mixing in some coconut flour… but that would be more like cake batter flavor.

32. Alyssa says:

I’m with Shelly: Dog Rule #1: You leave it unattended, it’s mine. Rule #2: If you have it and I want it, it’s mine. #3: If you drop it and I get it, it’s mine. Rule #4: If I drop it and you catch it, it’s still mine.

It’s good to be a dog! (Especially at Thanksgiving, lol!)

33. bitt of raw says:

the house I was at for thanksgiving had 4 dogs and they all thought the feast was for them. they didn’t manage to get up on the counter but if we had left I am sure one of them would have tried!

34. Jenn says:

Everything looks so yummy!!! I would love to make your mushroom dish! and that brownie…yumyumyum. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving. <3

35. Can’t wait for those recipes! My cats are just as bad as Batman, no worries, it’s kind of adorable really. But yeah, some good verbal cues like a big NO! might eventually work! Just persistence and time!

36. Ashleysh22 says:

All you can do with a naughty puppy is love him all the more! <3

37. Sonja says:

Naughty puppy needs more turkey. Dont hold back!

38. Anita says:

It’s always funny how people go after the vegan food isn’t it. As for Batman, I just think he’s ever had food like this !

39. Rebecca says:

Your story about Batman reminds me SO much of the story I wrote before about my dog jumping on the table during Thanksgiving and stealing a whole loaf of challah bread (remember..carbo-loading? ha ha)

Naughty devils! The first year I had my pup she sat in the kitchen whining at the turkey on the counter the WHOLE time. Since she loves it so much I couldn’t bear to not give her at least a bit—but as I don’t typically like Thanksgiving foods (turkey/ham, cranberry sauce and, even stuffing, are NOT for me) I got her one slice of sage turkey from the deli. That and a sweet potato and my pup was one happy camper! Me? I had cauliflower. Ha ha.

P.S. Photos are still getting better and better! Love the new-found simplicity—and the apple pie photo with the muffin tins underneath adds a nice dimension as well.

1. Yes, I deinitely do remember! I think your kitty and Batman would be good friends. Plus, he NEEDS to carbo-load with all the running around he does. I don’t know where he gets all the energy!

1. Rebecca says:

Ha ha..a dog—not a kitty! (I can’t understand cats for the life of me!)

40. Kelly Cara says:

Do you have a post for your pumpkin mousse recipe? I’m thinking about making either your chocolate chocolate mousse (which my husband and I LOVED, by the way) into a pie for Thanksgiving or attempting a pumpkin mousse pie.

41. Lenore says:

I love batman!!! Nothing to do with that naughty boy but hugs and kisses. so cute. Good for you, Batman! (though my own pups would get told, “NO!!”) Then of course, the hugs and kisses, and “mommy is sorry she yelled at you, pumpkin pie…mwah mwah mwah xoxox”

42. Ali says:

If my dog had a perfect baby replica, Batman would be her child. He looks sooo much like her. I love this I can’t stand any stroganoff, but that is definitely one I will try.