Vanilla-Pear Breakfast Cobbler

Breakfast gets fancy.

peach breakfast bake

Beautiful Pears

I love pears; yet I rarely think to put them on my grocery list. I’ll pick up raspberries for oatmeal, grapefruit for a pre-run snack, bananas for my favorite Chocolate-Chip Banana Bread

I usually skip right by the quiet, unassuming pears. Recently, however, a recipe for pear muffins caught my eye, prompting me to purchase a few. And yesterday morning I abandoned my muffin plans, slicing the green beauties up for breakfast instead.

I’m capricious like that.

peach breakfast bake

Vanilla-Pear Breakfast Cobbler

(Serves 2-3)

Based on this recipe.

• 2 1/2 cups sliced pear
  • 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch
  • 1/4 tsp each cinnamon and ginger
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup shredded wheat, crushed (I used Post wheat-n-bran. You can try rice chex or crispies or flake cereal for a gluten-free version. Granola works, too.)
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup, agave, or brown sugar (If I’m serving this to friends, I’ll add the sweetener. But I actually like the recipe without it. So if you want a very slightly-sweet recipe, you can omit.)
  • 1 packet nunaturals stevia or omit and add 2 extra tbsp of the sugar or maple syrup.
  • 1 tbsp melted margarine (such as Earth Balance) or sub oil and add 1/8 tsp salt. If you want a fat-free crisp, double the applesauce called for below, and omit the margarine.
  • 1 tbsp applesauce (For a more buttery taste, replace this with an extra tbsp of the margarine)
  • 1 container yogurt of choice: vanilla or plain (I used SoDelicious coconut-based yogurt)
  • optional: 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract if using plain yogurt

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix the pears, lemon, arrowroot, spices, 1/2 the salt, and 1/2 the sweetener in a bowl. Let sit for ten minutes. Meanwhile, stir the crushed cereal, remaining sweetener, remaining salt, melted margarine or oil, and applesauce in a bowl until well-blended. Spread the pear mixture in a small baking pan (such as a 4×7), and top with the cereal mixture. Bake for 45 minutes.

See the bottom of the linked post for Calories and Nutrition Info.

Just before serving, mix each portion with some of the yogurt. Alternatively, you can skip the yogurt and serve the breakfast cobbler with a scoop of vegan ice cream instead!

pear breakfast

pear breakfast

Question of the Day:

Do you have any “fancy breakfast” recipes?

French toast, waffles, crepes… Yesterday, when a reader on facebook asked me for suggestions, I realized I don’t have recipes for any of these on my blog! They’re all now on my to-make list. As for fancy breakfast recipes I do have:

These are pretty fancy: Hot Apple Pie Pancakes.

Tags: , , ,

1. I love fancy breakfasts! That looks delicious! I like french crepes. Those always make the morning feel special. 🙂

2. This looks SO delicious!! I love cobbler, and having it for breakfast would be awesome! 😀

And PLEASE make a french toast recipe!! I can’t wait to try vegan french toast!!

3. T says:

This looks so good! I love pears too, but I’ll either buy an entire sack and eat them one after the other, or forget about them totally for months. They don’t get enough love…

4. Funny – I love pears but rarely think to pick them up from the store either. They really are delicous though!

5. Melissa says:

Just a heads up to folks who might not know, be *really* careful with conventional brands of boxed cereals. Most of them have vitamin D listed but they don’t specify if it’s D2 or D3. Most brands use non-vegan D or the source varies, so they can’t ever guarantee what version is in the box from batch to batch.

It’s a bummer!

6. This looks and sounds divine! My fancy breakfast recipes are usually quiche or french toast casserole.

7. I love your purple bowl, so fun! Pears are one of my favorite fruits, I will def. be trying this!

8. Sarah the official CCK drooler :) says:

Ok, this is sooo stinkin’ weird. SO a couple of days ago, daddy buys a BUNCH of pears. and all kinds too. Bartlett, Bosc, and some other I cant think of. He wanted us to try each one and see what we liked. Now, we have a gazillion pears. And no recipe. Yea, well that just changed. Now we have a gazillion pears- and a recipe. Tomorrow, we will have no pears and a recipe. Oh dear.

p.s.- i appointed my self the official drooler. It’s a dream job 🙂

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Oh, and my family does fancy breakfasts all the time……… cuz my mm is constantly cookingup something new. Crepes, french toast, cinnamon buns, strawberry laced waffles etc. Cant a girl have a bowl of cereal and done with it? 🙂

1. LOL Sarah, your new name is too funny… and made me smile so much!

9. I absolutely LOVE pears, I can’t wait to get home because some family friends always send us Harry and David pears for the holidays! My dad and I tend to fight over them…

10. Ooh yum. I love that you give so many great breakfast ideas! We can get stuck in breakfast ruts too often (and fruit ruts – I hear ya, I barely ever buy pears. I always saw them as apple’s more watery counterpart :p)!

11. Dalai Lina says:

Every day when I see another creative post I think, how does she do that? Keep cooking 🙂

12. Well… no one’s stopping me from having a three-layered cake for breakfast that’s for sure 😀

13. Kit-Kat says:

A “fancy” breakfast is usually for special feast days, holy-days, and holidays. It consists of something scrambled (eggs for the non-vegans and tofu scramble for me) with home-made toast and hashed browns and veggie sausage; pancakes and fruit; scones and scrambled and the veggie sausages; waffles and fruit; french toast and fruit; or a BIG oatmeal buffete (when my grandmommy and grandaddy are here, they LOVE to elaborate on breakfast).
    Did you use Bosc, Anjou, or Bartlett pears for your recipe?

1. LOL they were green… Bosc? Can you tell I don’t know my pears very well?

14. Liz says:

I miss waffles–please hook us up, Katie!

15. I would buy pears by the case if they wouldn’t ripen so irregularly!!
    Sometimes it seems like they go bad before they ever ripen!

1. I always seem to have the same problem–it’s so frustrating!
      The only ones that are consistently good are the Harry and David ones that my dad gets sent as a Christmas present every year. Can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait!

16. I love doing crepes for a fancy breakfast!
    I’m also all about toast with jazzed up topping–it may not BE fancy but it sure LOOKS fancy!

17. A chocolate covered strawberry smoothie that is beautiful and delicious!!!

18. Jennifer JCD says:

Oooh, pretty! I don’t like pears but my husband loves them. I am going to make him this over Christmas break. 🙂 I love making him fancy breakfasts but always overlook those ‘pear’ recipes because I don’t like them… I can make this with pear for him and peach for me – yummy!

We have lots of fancy breakfast recipes. The Fronch Toast recipe in ‘Vegan with a Vengeance’ is really good. We also love making chocolate waffles, crêpes, English breakfast, and breakfast sundaes! Mind you, boatmeal can be done up to be fancy too!

19. I love pears – your recipe looks yummy! My breakfasts are usually fast and easy. My most involved is peanut butter French toast.