Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Healthy Hot Chocolate

Healthy hot Chocolate.

healthy hot chocolate

Chocolate is the answer to every problem.

No seriously, it is.

—-Boyfriend broke up with you? Chocolate!

—-No time to make dinner? Chocolate!

—-Spilled red wine all over your tablecloth? Baking soda!

Baking soda??? Okay, maybe chocolate is the answer to almost every problem. (Please don’t try putting chocolate on your red wine stains. Not a good idea!)

homemade hot chocolate

Homemade hot chocolate above is topped with coconut whipped cream and Healthy Chocolate Raspberry Sauce.

healthy hot cocoa

But when it’s been raining all day, and you and your roommate are stuck inside (as we were yesterday), chocolate is definitely the answer.

healthy hot chocolate

Healthy Hot Chocolate

(Serves 1)

Adapted from: Frozen Hot Chocolate

• 2/3 cup milk of choice
  • 1/3 cup full-fat canned coconut milk or Cashew Cream (for notes on lower-cal options, see nutritional info link below)
  • 2 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener, such as 1 stevia packet or 1 tablespoon sugar or agave

Combine all ingredients and stir. Either cook on the stovetop, or: microwave 30 seconds, stir, microwave 30 more seconds, stir, microwave 30 more seconds or until hot and completely mixed.

View Healthy Hot Chocolate Calories and Nutrition Facts

Link of the Day: Hot Chocolate Cookies

Tags: , , , , ,

1. We don’t have cable anymore but have become addicted to Breaking Bad and Mad Men on Netflix. I thought I’d miss reality tv, but I actually don’t. At all.

2. I don’t have cable so it’s very rare I watch any tv at all. Once in a blue moon I watch modern family online with my roommates because they love it (and I do too, it’s hilarious!). Oh and guilty pleasure when I’m at home and do have cable is definitely the kardashians.

3. Even if you spill wine, you can fix your sorrows with chocolate! These look so insanely delicious! What great treats! Recently, my hubby and I have started watching Parks & Rec. At first we didn’t really love it, but now we like can’t stop watching it. It’s funny!

4. Michele says:

Can you substitute regular milk for the canned coconut?

1. Sarah says:

Not Katie, but I just thought I’d chime in to help.

Click on the “nutritional info” link and it answers your question.

1. Michele says:

thanks Sarah!

5. Erin says:

I LOVE Friends!!!! That’s my #1 show too! There’s re-runs on every afternoon and night and I have to catch myself from sitting and watching every episode, since I’ve seen every one like at least 10 times. My husband actually is a reality show junkie, I’m not as bad as he is. We’re talking everything from Gold Rush to Moonshiners to Jersey Shore to Teen Mom 2 and everything in between. We’ve kind of tuned out of all the Real Housewives because there’s SO MUCH drama, but I’m excited for the Orange County Housewives to start. One show we can’t wait to start again is Sons of Anarchy on FX. It doesn’t start again till September :( We DVR everything and watch it later to avoid commercials. Thanks for all your awesome recipes!

6. Ahhh you’re making me want a hot chocolate right now! I love the Office, Biggest Loser, the Bachelor, and just about any show on TLC.

7. I am a *huge* Desperate Housewives fan! (so is the husband!) …..Chocolate makes the world an amazing place! I am so glad I don’t ever have to live without it.

8. I stopped watching Desperate Housewives last season and I don’t know why! I almost want to pick up where I left off and just have a marathon day of it! I really did enjoy it, but I think at that time, I was watching too many shows and unfortunately it was one of the one’s that got the cut!

This hot chocolate might come in handy though for reminiscing with those girls again! :) haha

9. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Chocolate is TOTALLY the answer to almost every problem. Bad test score? Chocolate. Bad day? Chocolate. Kicked the brother? Give him chocolate. Need some mall cash? Give your mother chocolate. Dad trying to lose weight? Give him chocolate. The BEST bribe tool ever! And i had a feeling it would be hot chocolate! Over here in VA, we had some snow/ice which is gone now. But its still cold!
    Tv shows i love: New Girl, Glee, 2broke girls (sometimes), and rarely Kardashians. The latter because its fun to see people who have no actual jobs act like buffoons. What. a. life. But the show i watch every single day? Little House on the Prairie. I am so cool :)

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Also, i really need to make the hot cocoa picture my screensaver. Drool.

1. Sarah says:

Maybe it’s a Sarah thing? 😉

2. Sarah says:

haha I watch Little House everyday too! And sometimes the Kardashians for the same reason. And I totally agree with your continuation of chocolate is good for everything comment!

10. Oh Friends is just the absolute best; nothing can ever top it! I still can reference a Friends episode for nearly every social situation. “Oh this is like that time on Friends when Joey wore all of Chandler’s clothes…” and on it goes…

Hot chocolate is just the best! While I am pretty easily contented with just warming almond milk and adding pure cocoa to it (I have no sweet tooth either), this is a great option to serve other people who may prefer something sweeter, and the whipped ‘cream’ just looks heavenly!

11. I’m all chocolate-d out right now! (Crazy, I know?!) But seriously, I had hot cocoa and just ate an extremely rich bitter chocolate lava cake (at least my attempt at making one..)…too. much. chocolate.

I know, you are probably ashamed of me right now :(

12. I adore hot cocoa – it’s such a comfort food/beverage isn’t it??

I am watching Burn Notice on netflix. Love the show. Also really into the new show Revenge.

Used to watch Desperate Housewives and Greys Anatomy on DVD all the time but then got busy. At least I can pick up where I left off anytime.

13. Kristin says:

My favorites now are Mad Men, Dexter, True Blood, The Office…I started watching Friends when I was 10 years old. The series ended a month before I graduated from high school. My favorite episode ever?? The Thanksgiving one with Brad Pitt and the I Hate Rachel Green Club. :)

1. Sarah says:

Hahaha love that one! The Thanksgiving episodes are the best.

“I wasn’t supposed to put beef in the trifle!”

14. I miss Friends so much. It was our Friday night girls evening when I was growing up. Now I love any good spy/cop show. Love the hot chocolate, I like a little chilli and cardamom in mine – sounds odd but is really yummy :) Thanks for the great recipe.

15. Sapphire says:

I guess I’m the major weird person here :)

I watch Doctor Who, The Red Green Show, South Park, Law and Order (and SVU). I don’t much care for “reality” television for the most part. I don’t like drama shows, and I hate romantic comedies (with a few rare exceptions). I’m more the girl who hangs with the guys. I guess it comes from being more comfortable around guys. Guys are more straightforward than girls – most girls I know have said nice things to my face and gossiped about me behind my back. I don’t like that garbage.

Awesome recipe! I made your Fro-Co yesterday and it was SO good. I used light vanilla soy milk because I’m a post WLS patient (lap band) and I need to keep my calories and carbs down. Not that I won’t use full fat coconut milk on occasion, I just didn’t have any handy yesterday! Delicious! :)

I also made some homemade “mounds” bars for my husband the other day. He said to tell you thanks for the recipe for Hot Chocolate Butter (cause that’s what I put the marshmallow coconut filling between!

1. Leslie says:

I still need to try that fro co!

1. Sapphire says:

It’s really good :)

2. Your comment makes me so, so happy! And tell your husband “you’re welcome” for me! :) :)

3. Leah says:

Oh, thank goodness, I thought I was the only geek on the site. Doctor Who and Torchwood, both starring actors who are lovely representations of masculinities that don’t adhere to gender-norm BS. Also, there are plenty of kick-ass three-dimensional female characters. And time travel!

1. Sarah says:

Doctor Who is the BEST! And Castle and Greys Anatomy.

16. Sarah says:

Yum! I make something similar, but yours looks even better with the addition of full-fat coconut milk.
    What is your favorite brand of cocoa powder to use?

1. I really like Dagoba Organic… but it’s much more expensive, so I usually just buy the cheap stuff, especially for recipe testing.

17. Aja says:

Um, that looks amazing! Full-fat coconut milk? I think I just died a little.

18. “How I Met Your Mother” gives me that same fix that “Friends” gave me in the 90s.

19. “I’ve never seen a single episode of Real Housewives or Keeping up with the Kardashians.” <– I've seen them all :)

And watched 1 episode of Friends in my entire life. Never have seen Gossip Girl, Lost, or any shows lots of people talk about.

I'd like to watch tv with this hot chocolate. Delish!

20. Wow that looks delicious! I love Gossip Girl too, and I agree, the yelling and fighting on Jersey Shore is not appealing! Ha

21. Cassidy says:

My tv guilty pleasures are Gossip Girl, Teen Mom 2, Dexter, and True Blood. I really wanna try this hot chocolate it looks super yummy!

22. That melted chocolate on top looks amazing! i could use a big cup of hot chocolate right about now!

23. That’s how I felt when I went through Buffy The Vampire Slayer on Netflix. I didn’t want the final season to end! This hot chocolate looks delicious!! Perfect for winter 😀

24. However, if you do spill red wine on your tablecloth, you should still eat chocolate … because that stain’s probably not coming out. And rather than stress, you should just eat chocolate.

As for TV, right now, my friends and I are watching the entire Twin Peaks series. I’m also watching Weeds, Big Love, True Blood, and Breaking Bad on Netflix.

1. Yes!!
      I love your thinking :).

25. That is exactly how I make hot chocolate! Nothing beats almond milk and cocoa powder!

26. Gi says:

just leaving a comment to remember you how much we like your posts…
    ah yes, and to tell you that in yesterday’s post you look like a diva from the 50s!
    Just sayin’ 😀

btw I don’t watch TV at all (except the news sometimes…)
    I reckon that if I did I wouldn’t have all this time to surf on the Internet and STILL having a social life xD

27. Omigosh this looks fabulous! I tried to make hot chocolate one day with just cocoa powder, water and stevia and it was not very good- this looks infinitely better and perfect for a cold day! And ohh I LOVE gossip girl- I just watched this week’s episode last night! I’m also a big entertainment junkie so I watch a lot- Revenge, 90210, Modern Family, Glee… I could go on…

28. Jess says:

Your pictures are gorgeous!! I wanted to let you know that I had your “Never Ending Oatmeal Bowl” recipe for breakfast this morning and it is now my favorite way to have overnight oats! When I took the bowl out of the fridge this morning, I was shocked and really excited to see how big the oats had gotten! Those chia seeds are magical :) Thanks for the great recipe!

29. Marci says:

Am all about HGTV and my guilty pleasure, American Idol, whIch I watch with my eight-year-old son. We’ve a bit of a track record when it comes to picking finalists :)

Question Katie about coconut milk please. Have you by chance found a company that uses BPA=free cans?

Thanks as always the yummy recipe – those chocolate cookies are definitely on my radar!

1. A google search told me that Native Foods cans are BPA-free :).

1. Marci says:

Color me embarrassed Katie. I can Google too but thanks for covering it.
        Also found that Aroy-D and Trader Joe’s Light coconut Milk come in bpa free cans.
        Thanks again!!

30. Jay says:

Isn’t the main difference between hot chocolate and hot cocoa that hot chocolate uses melted chocolate? You named this hot chocolate, but it sounds like hot cocoa to me …

1. Leslie says:

Um, first of all cocoa IS chocolate. And secondly, who the heck cares? It’s her blog, she can call it whatever she wants!

CCK, it looks AWESOME! Your photography just keeps getting better and better, and I’m definitely going to try the recipe as soon as I get my hands on a can of coconut milk. :)

1. Jay says:

Wow Lesie, way to be rude. That was a genuine question because I’ve often wondered about the difference and I was sure Katie would know, considering she’s a big fan of chocolate.

31. Taylor says:

So funny that you posted this recipe because this is exactly what I’ve been craving and actually thought about making all day. Except I’m going to add the “frosting shots” chocolate whipped cream on top :))) Yummmmm!

32. I’m feeling a How I Met Your Mother Marathon sesh.

33. Amber K says:

I didn’t watch much until all of these new shows came on this season. And I’m getting super excited to try out Smash (since it’s Glee-like) and I’m liking Alcatraz from the creators of Lost. Then there’s Touch that just started too. And I was already watching Revenge, Ringer, Glee, Modern Family, Teen Mom 2, Pretty Little Liars, The Lying Game, Mike and Molly, and a few reality shows. I watch WAY too much TV! :)

34. FRIENDS!!! It will always always be my number one favorite show. So many life lessons :)

I am also currently obsessed with The Big Bang Theory – but I only get to watch the reruns since I’m never home when the current season is on.

35. HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER!! I’m an addict, to that and carbs and chocolate.

36. I’m with you–Friends is definitely my all time favorite show!
    I also am a big CSI fan though. And (embarrassingly) I still love Degrassi.

1. I’m glad I’m not the only one who embarassingly loves that show.

37. Cheeze says:

I have one word for you..”Pulling.” An awesome british tv show that is hilarious (and on netflix or youtube.) Not as soapy as DH but sooooooooooooo funny.

38. Jennifer JCD says:

Mmm… hot cocoa!! What does the salt in the recipe do? We’ve never tried adding it to hot cocoa before. I’ll have to give it a try!

We don’t have cable or satellite at home, but I check in on some of the new shows via DVD or whilst visiting my family. I agree, there aren’t many good shows on lately. We are big Star Trek fans, and have been borrowing DVDs from the library. We occasionally watch CSI (the original one) or Extreme Home Makeover on rainy days at the lake. We made it to season three of Lost before it got too weird to follow. Mostly, we prefer movies!

39. Lisa says:

Because of the glass I think, when I first saw this, I thought it was a cold/blended drink. Like the “Frozen Hot Chocolate” from Serendipity 3 in New York. Hmmmmmmmmmm

1. Leslie says:

Mmm I could definitely go for one of those, even in the dead of winter!

40. Punifa says:

And I just used the last of my coconut milk! Will have to make this when I get more c:

41. Moni'sMeals says:

“Chocolate is the answer to every problem.” Yes, yes it is!

This looks great. lovely pictures too. :)

42. Oh yum…this is just what I want right now!

43. Tammy W says:

Oh Kate, Kate, Kate! Dear Chocolate Covered Kate. I am a Pinner, Foodgawker and small blogger. You have sucked me in. I love your blog. I just discovered it tonight and have been here for over an hour! This full-time working mom of six doesn’t havre the time needed to read every single one of your posts!! I am impressed. I love your humor too. Congratulations on such a successful big. I very you wrk be on the Food network our Cooking channel very soon. – from your newest filter on, this blog, pinterest, foodgawker and facebook.

1. Awwww Tammy, thank you for such a sweet comment!

*Sending you chocolate hugs* :)

44. Sherlock says:

I’m going to have to make this, this weekend. Oh it looks so good! Like yourself, I’m a huge Friends fan. For some reason it just never gets old. I’ve seen reruns about 10 times. I could never get into the Kardashians, Jersey Shore or Real Housewives crap. I don’t get the appeal.

45. Tammy W says:

I forgot to answer your daily question! BONES, parenthood, unforgettable and two broke girls and several cooking shows… These are all getting recorded on my dvr!

46. Hannah says:

No joke, I’m watching The West Wing this very second! It’s my third time watching it start to finish, oh how I love! I’ll be stopping at 6pm to watch Friends reruns. Other than that, favourite shows are Firefly, SeaChange, and Buffy :)

Chocolate totally is the answer to a red wine stain. It’ll make me feel better to eat it while I pack the tablecloth up to give to my mum to fix on the weekend 😉

47. Aubre Rice says:

We love Last Man Standing, The Office, The Firm, and our guilty pleasures are Jersey Shore, Real World/Road Rules Challenges, Real World, Ridiculousness. I love everything on TLC, HGTV, and Food Network, especially Hoarders, When Vacations Attack, Chopped, Driver’s Diners and Dives. There’s a show on National Geographic called Taboo that’s always interesting if you need a good DVR idea!

48. Em says:

Just wanted to say that this was the perfect “wake me up” treat this morning. It’s so cold here, but I’m all warm and toasty now, after drinking what can only be called the world’s best hot chocolate recipe! Really, really good.

49. Sarah says:

I watch Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother, and Up All Night. I am working my way through The Wire on dvd.

Thanks for the recipe.

50. Robyn says:

I have to say, Friends is also MY all-time fave. I used to watch Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice, but quit cold turkey this season. The ONLY show I watch now is Castle. :)

51. LizAshlee says:

That does look like the perfect hot chocolate…mmm:)

52. That hot chocolate looks fab. You amaze me with your coconut milk skills.

What shows do I watch?

Hart of Dixie
    Terra Nova
    Hawaii Five-O
    Up All Night
    New Girl
    Are you there, Chelsea?
    Last Man Standing
    Big Bang Theory
    Hot in Cleveland
    Person’s of Interest
    Gifted Man
    Once Upon a Time

53. Karina says:

Was wondering if you use fair trade chocolate in your recipes? CNN has issued a challenge to make a chocolate dish from fair trade chocolate and thought you might be interested!

1. I really like Dagoba fair-trade… and of course my favorite chocolate bars are Endangered Species :).
      I just uploaded my Chocolate Bar Pie to the CNN link. Thanks for sharing!!

54. Sarah S. says:

Mmm these look SO tasty! I admit when I’ve been wanting hot chocolate lately I’ve been skipping the cocoa+fat method and just melting a couple of tablespoons of chocolate chips, then heating up unsweetened almond milk and vigorously mixing the two together until it resembles mexican drinking chocolate… droool. I haven’t been watching much TV, either… but the hubs and I always watch our cartoons (Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, and Futurama), our cooking competitions (Top Chef, Chopped), and our political humor (The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report, and Real Time with Bill Maher). I am pretty religious about True Blood when it’s on!

55. This hot cocoa is awesome! I feel compelled to feature you in my Friday Food Fetish roundup and on Pinterest. Let me know if you have any objections and keep the amazing food coming…

56. Karla says:

I made homemade hot chocolate with coconut milk and Hershey’s special dark cocoa – it was nice ‘n’ rich! Would have been superb with some whipped cream, which I don’t usually keep in the house. Last time I tried coconut whipped cream, the coconut milk never separated when I put it in the fridge – bummer!

57. We don’t watch that much TV here either. We have a few shows that we DVR, but that is really just a handful. I could live on HGTV and Food Network though!
    I love this drink, all the chocolate drizzling down the side. Perfect for a rainy day!

58. No love for 30 rock yet? I just finished the latest season of 30 rock out on DVD and I’m working my way through the Sopranos. I’ll also always watch Star Trek TNG. Love Mad Men, many funny cartoon/stop animation shows (Family Guy, Futurama, Robot Chicken, South Park), Glee, New Girl, Raising Hope… also still watching Fringe, even though it’s gotten a bit silly. The one foodie show I watch is Check Please! for the Bay Area.

Can you tell I’m an entertainment junkie? I also loved The Wire and most of Alan Ball’s other tv series, Six Feet Under. Thanks for letting me blather about tv on your food blog Katie!

59. Keren says:

This is SOOOO GOOD!!!!

60. Susan Bowser says:

No TV, but am currently hooked on NCIS and The Good Guys on Netflix. Can’t wait to try this recipe–sounds great!

61. Brea says:

Okay, I’m totally curious… What kind of chocolate sauce do you make/buy? :)

62. Anonymous says:

I always wonder how u make the whipped cream. I always see A delicious looking whippedcream or blue buttercream on your recipes but i couldnt find out how u make that healthy? Or do u use regular (soy?) cream????….

1. That one in the photos is actually Soyatoo Extra Creamy. I love it! I stopped buying regular soyatoo because it always stopped up in the can, but I’ve had no problem with this new one.

63. tae says:

can’t wait to make this! favorite shows: Downton Abbey hands-down favorite show. i’m so glad season 2 is online. and Ringer, The Voice, and The Amazing Race (when it’s on)… also, Once Upon a Time.

64. Noni says:

If this already was asked, sorry, but I have not enough time to read all comments – gotta go to the gym to work off the Mayan Hot Chocolate my daughter bought yesterday to share with me – OMG – it had Cayenne Pepper and Pasilla Chiles – Cinnamon too. Anywho, where do I find the recipe for Vegan Whip Cream – searched but no find. :-) Thanks – love the recipes and most especially the small servings that make indulging possible here and there. xo

65. Chloe says:

I love Gossip Girl too! I’ll watch basically anything on CW and I also love Castle and Once Upon a Time, to name a few… The only problem is that I’m living in a dorm where I have to watch all of my shows online which just eats away my bandwidth! I love the hot chocolate idea! I might just go make some now… :)

66. Rachel says:

This hot chocolate should come with a warning! I decided to be really naughty and make myself 2(!) servings. I feel ill now, but it was worth it! So delicious and rich! This was like heaven in a mug!

1. Aw lol that’s always how I feel when I eat too much coconut butter… the stomachache is worth it! Of course chocolate’s the same ;).

67. Angie says:

You know it’s “whipped cream,” right… and not WHIP cream. As in, it is cream that has been whipped. What is WHIP cream?

1. Sorry, Angie, but if you want to get technical… I use Soyatoo and it says “whip” right on the can ;).

68. Luann says:

Katie, I am just starting to try your recipes with my meat-and-potatoes family and am NOT telling them what they are eating :) So far the choc chip cookie dough got an “it’s good” rating, but I still have some several days later. I did use chunky pb though, and that may have messed with the texture. The fudgy brownies was perfect – not scarfed up in one day, but gone in two, taking care of everyone’s need for a chocolate dessert. Soy is a problem for me but the soft tofu didn’t seem to cause me any pain, so I’ll do that one again for sure.
    I’d like to try this recipe using coconut milk, but for the most part we don’t like the flavor of coconut. Do you get a coconut flavor with the coconut milk? I know that cooking with coconut oil rarely leaves a coconut taste.
    Thank you for sharing your successes, and congratulations on all of your recent accomplishments!

1. I don’t taste it… but I like coconut so maybe I am biased!

69. Jen says:

I made the hot chocolate this morning and it was perfect! I used almond milk and the lite coconut milk and it was super rich and creamy! A staple for sure!

70. Melissa W says:

Castle …. You have GOT to watch the show Castle. I borrowed the 1st season of DVD’s from my neighbor and had to go buy the next 2 immediately. Now I am trying to watch only one at a time to make them last longer. But the truth is, it is tough. I get so excited to see the next one that sometimes the self control just isn’t there and I watch 2 or 3. But anyhow, you have GOT to see it! And, start from the beginning … SO GOOD!

1. Putting it on my list. After all, if a Friends-addict says it’s good, it must be good!

71. Melissa W says:

Oh and one more thing … I also GINORMOUS <3 Friends! Whenever I go to a social gathering where we have to wear those "Hello My Name Is" tags … I always write Regina Falange or Princess Consuela Banana Hammock … Just to see who notices. LOL! :)

72. Michaela H. says:

Hi. This hot chocolate looks delicious, but I saw on this recipe and other that somethings had a
    T next to it; I don’t know much about cooking so I was wondering what the T means. 😀

1. tablespoon. Sorry for the confusion!

73. Michaela H. says:

Thanks a bunch! Can’t wait to try it!

74. Joni says:

Oh my goodness, Kate. I just found your blog tonight and I think I’ve repinned most of the recipes! If I weren’t “watching a movie” I’d probably have to go make something! I also shared it on my personal timeline and on my bus. page – I’m just so excited to have found the chocolate recipes I’ve been searching for. Hm, I can’t believe none of yours came up when I was searching for a GF, vegan chocolate cake/pie the other day…

I haven’t noticed anyone mention Gilmore Girls – my absolute favorite show. Also love West Wing, Friends, How I Met Your Mother, So You Think You Can Dance (a reality show where the participants are actually kind!), and when I need info – Rachel Maddow!

1. Aw thank you, Joni! That really means a lot to me.
      Haha one of my favorite recipes on here is for a gluten-free chocolate pie ;).

75. Jessica says:

Last night I had a go at making your hot chocolate and I have put pictures of the results up on my webpage – I hope you approve!

It was fun to make!

1. Couldn’t leave a comment on your blog because I don’t have a google account or open id. But I love the mugs… and the photos :)

76. This recipe looks amazing! One of my favorite things ever is peppermint hot chocolate. Would that just be adding a bit of peppermint extract?

1. That sounds like a really good idea! I might have to try it too :).

1. aurora says:

i know right!i made them last night.they are so cholatey

77. Mary says:

I just made my own non-vegan version of this in the microwave, so good!!!
    1 c skim milk, 2 Tb cocoa powder, 1/2 Tb sugar, tiny tiny tiny pinch of salt!!

78. Anna says:

Ah, this looks sooo good right now… forget that summer’s barely over; this is being made soon!!

79. Anonymous says:

Pretty little liars is where it’s at. I guarantee you will be hooked!

80. Yvette says:

Hi Katie,
    My little girl is in love with your website and the name you chose for it. She is also a chocoholic.
    I am currently pinning everything on your site…lol. I don’t know what recipe I want to try first, but I am leaning toward the cookie dough dip! I love that you are giving away a food processor b/c mine just conked out! Awesome site. Thank you.

81. Anonymous says:

Made this a few minutes ago with 2/3 cup light coconut milk and 1/3 cup 1% milk (I’m not vegan). I haven’t tasted it yet as it’s hot and I’m scared of getting burned (as I usually do in attempt to not take an hour to drink hot chocolate). Since I’m alone with no one to have to wait for me to finish I’m waiting. So hard because it smells so good and looks so creamy! I don’t know how much longer I can wait.. Lol!

I love So You Think You Can Dance, The Voice, and The Big Bang Theory. I could just watch those and be happy!

82. Kayla says:

83. Anonymous says:

I made this and found that putting it in a blender first and then heating it on the stove not only completely dissolves the cocoa powder, but it also gives some foam like a Starbucks drink :)

84. Laura says:

SO yummy and rich! Made with all almond milk and added 1 tsp instant coffee for a mocha flavor!! :) Used 1 TBS agave as sweetener…perfect!

85. Sarah says:

I just tried this since i was in the mood for chocolate. Honestly I didn’t like it. It was too thick for my liking and a bit bitter (maybr because i didnt have coconut milk) added extra sugar and extra milk. Helped with both issues but still not there for me. Going to do some tweaking when I try it again :)

86. Sabrina says:

I keep Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa around for everything. Do you think I would be better off using a regular cocoa (non-dark)? Or does it not really matter?

87. Sabrina says:

As an add on to my last post, I searched for the dagoba unsweetened drinking chocolate at whole foods and was told that they will no longer be carrying dagoba products because the company refused to supply details about the origin if their products, making them suspect. Have you heard about this? Is there a product on par with dagoba that you could recommend?

88. Lisa says:

I am currently happily drinking your recipe! It’s DELICIOUS! I did 2/3 homemade almond milk, 1/3 reg. coconut milk, 1 Tbl reg. cocoa & 1 Tbl special dark cocoa (hersheys), stevia and vanilla.
    Then I put maybe a 1/4 cup canned coconut milk as whipped cream on top whipped with some cinnamon and stevia.
    DELICIOUS! 😀 Thanks Katie so much for the recipe!

89. Alyssa says:

I just made this hot chocolate and it is amazing!!! Seriously satisfied my craving for chocolate :)

90. Jennifer says:

I’m sitting here sipping on a cup of this as I type. Oh my gosh! So good! I reduced the cocoa by about a 1/2 tablespoon (though only because the cocoa we get here (Norway) is very dark) and used lite coconut milk (again, only because no stores in this country seem to have any idea that full fat coconut milk exists). Mixed with sweetened soy milk, this is really amazingly creamy and has just the faintest hint of coconut, which I absolutely love. So much better than the instant stuff! Thank you! And drat, the cup is empty already.. Think I’ll have to go make some more!

91. Lisa says:

When I make this, I use vanilla Silk soy milk for the liquid. I don’t add the vanilla extract, either because, the soy milk is flavored vanilla. :) Sometimes, I’ll use 2/3 C milk and 1/3 C water. (I don’t notice the difference, but I won’t vouch for whether someone else will or not.)
    For my sweetener, I use either one Tablespoon of 100% Pure Organic Maple Syrup or 2 teaspoons Stevia in the Raw. I like this recipe a lot! 😀 It is the only Hot Chocolate Recipe I use now. My version of it is 172 calories, the only real con is that (if using maple syrup) the sugar is 19.2grams!

92. BakeMeABallerina says:

Really good but I think less cocoa powder would be good

93. Mikala says:

We don’t have a cable anymore but have become addicted to Breaking Bad and Mad Men on Netflix i thought i’d miss reality tv, but i actually don’t at all

94. Laura says:

I loved this hot chocolate! I’ve been trying to find a good hot chocolate that doesn’t use cow’s milk and this is it! Thanks Katie!

95. Lisa says:

would this taste good with almond milk and stevia? I don’t want the “healthy” taste as I’m making this for my younger sister too! if not i can just sub 2% milk and agave(:

96. Emma says:

Glee is the best show ever!!!!!!!!!

97. Karnika says:

Is it just me or is there a small little cat picture on the right side of your hot chocolate picture? I think it’s just me •_•

98. Ace says:

This was awesome!! I didn’t have any coconut milk on hand so I just used coconut creamer and I used dark cocoa powder and I added a little bit of instant coffee for a little kick. I made it in my little dorm room microwave, so I had to microwave for a minute, stir, and then rinse and repeat. Perfect drink for a chilly morning!

99. Umay says:

Thanks for the recipe! You always have the best recipes :) i just made this but with a few substitutions; i used 1 cup soy milk and only 1 T cacao. To make it creamy i added 1/4 T peanut butter. Oh my God, it turned out amazing! (Plus, this way it had 9.5g protein)
    As for the question, my favourites are definetly Sherlock and Doctor Who. Yes, we are the crazy fandoms :3

100. I just made this, and I was planning on drinking it after dinner. But it’s so good I’m already drinking it. YUM!!! Thanks Katy!!!! 😀

101. Tara says:

I made this today and tweaked it a bit. I used 1T of dark cocoa powder and added six squares from my dark chocolate bar. I also used a dash of sucanat and cinnamon for a holiday twist. Once it was hot, I added a dollop of peanut butter to the mix. Ah-mazing! The coconut + dark chocolate + peanut butter combo was to die for. I don’t care that it had like a gazzilion calories! My tummy and soul are happy :). Thank you for the inspiration, Katie!

102. Marjori says:

Hey Katie!

Just followed a Pinterest pin to a “Hot Toddie” that brought me here. When I saw it was you, I though “I don’t remember her posting a hot toddie recipe”. lol

The pin says: 2 shots Butterscotch Schnapps, 1 shot Amaretto, Hot Chocolate, whip cream, quik… Hot Toddie!

103. Sarah says:

Would you be able to make a healthy version if the oreo coffee coolatta from dunkin

104. emily says:

this looks sooo good! I usually make hot chocolate with 1c milk, 1Tbs cocoa powder, sweetener, 1/2tsp vanilla and a pinch salt and usually the cocoa gets thick and tastes a bit chalky–I can’t imagine adding another tablespoon. Is there something I could be doing wrong (even though it seems to be so simple!)?

105. Danielle says:

Hi There,
    Love your site :-) Just had a quick question.. I was looking at the nutritional info and I see you have the full fat version at 180 calories but when I calculated it I actually got 295 calories.. I used Ayam premium coconut milk, skim milk and followed the rest of the recipe with raw cacao.. Don’t get me wrong this was delicious.. Super creamy and so quick!! I think the 2 x TBS of cacao was needed for this rich flavour but just curious as to why there is a discrepancy in calories.. I used Stevia as a sweetener so not extra calories there.. Hoping you can shed some light.. Many thanks xx

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Katie’s calorie count is correct. See her Recipe FAQ page at the top of the blog for more on how calories and nutrition facts are calculated.

1. Danielle says:

Hmmmm… I am in Australia and have added the calorie ingredients for the measurements used but I received a different amount.. I could not find the specific article on the FAQ that noted this. I can only think that maybe light coconut milk was used to calculate a lower amount on the site.

2. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I don’t know what to say, as it IS there…

106. Mandie says:

This very healthy hot chocolate is THE recipe to use!

107. JIWA says:

Hi Katie:
    What a LOVELY blog site. I’ve been wandering around after being directed here to follow a brownie science guide. It was great. I personally like them fudgy and think I make some of the best. But it was well written, entertaining and mouthwatering. Then Ijust started wandering around. Just nicely done all around. I’m not a fan of milk alternatives, and appreciate your including alternatives directly in each recipe for liquids, sweeteners, etc. Thank you. And congratulations, very belatedly, on your win. Happy chocolate days.

108. says:

I wish your recipes where print friendly

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

They are! Just highlight the recipe, press the ctrl and c buttons on your computer, and open a word document and paste :-)