Healthy Hot Chocolate

Healthy hot Chocolate.

healthy hot chocolate

Chocolate is the answer to every problem.

No seriously, it is.

—-Boyfriend broke up with you? Chocolate!

—-No time to make dinner? Chocolate!

—-Spilled red wine all over your tablecloth? Baking soda!

Baking soda??? Okay, maybe chocolate is the answer to almost every problem. (Please don’t try putting chocolate on your red wine stains. Not a good idea!)

homemade hot chocolate

Homemade hot chocolate above is topped with coconut whipped cream and Healthy Chocolate Raspberry Sauce.

healthy hot cocoa

But when it’s been raining all day, and you and your roommate are stuck inside (as we were yesterday), chocolate is definitely the answer.

healthy hot chocolate

Healthy Hot Chocolate

(Serves 1)

Adapted from: Frozen Hot Chocolate

• 2/3 cup milk of choice
  • 1/3 cup full-fat canned coconut milk or Cashew Cream (for notes on lower-cal options, see nutritional info link below)
  • 2 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener, such as 1 stevia packet or 1 tablespoon sugar or agave

Combine all ingredients and stir. Either cook on the stovetop, or: microwave 30 seconds, stir, microwave 30 more seconds, stir, microwave 30 more seconds or until hot and completely mixed.

View Healthy Hot Chocolate Calories and Nutrition Facts

hot-chocolate-cookies_thumb_4

Link of the Day: Hot Chocolate Cookies

Tags: , , , , ,

1. We don’t have cable anymore but have become addicted to Breaking Bad and Mad Men on Netflix. I thought I’d miss reality tv, but I actually don’t. At all.

2. I don’t have cable so it’s very rare I watch any tv at all. Once in a blue moon I watch modern family online with my roommates because they love it (and I do too, it’s hilarious!). Oh and guilty pleasure when I’m at home and do have cable is definitely the kardashians.

3. Even if you spill wine, you can fix your sorrows with chocolate! These look so insanely delicious! What great treats! Recently, my hubby and I have started watching Parks & Rec. At first we didn’t really love it, but now we like can’t stop watching it. It’s funny!

4. Michele says:

Can you substitute regular milk for the canned coconut?

1. Sarah says:

Not Katie, but I just thought I’d chime in to help.

Click on the “nutritional info” link and it answers your question.

1. Michele says:

thanks Sarah!

5. Erin says:

I LOVE Friends!!!! That’s my #1 show too! There’s re-runs on every afternoon and night and I have to catch myself from sitting and watching every episode, since I’ve seen every one like at least 10 times. My husband actually is a reality show junkie, I’m not as bad as he is. We’re talking everything from Gold Rush to Moonshiners to Jersey Shore to Teen Mom 2 and everything in between. We’ve kind of tuned out of all the Real Housewives because there’s SO MUCH drama, but I’m excited for the Orange County Housewives to start. One show we can’t wait to start again is Sons of Anarchy on FX. It doesn’t start again till September 🙁 We DVR everything and watch it later to avoid commercials. Thanks for all your awesome recipes!

6. Ahhh you’re making me want a hot chocolate right now! I love the Office, Biggest Loser, the Bachelor, and just about any show on TLC.

7. I am a *huge* Desperate Housewives fan! (so is the husband!) …..Chocolate makes the world an amazing place! I am so glad I don’t ever have to live without it.

8. I stopped watching Desperate Housewives last season and I don’t know why! I almost want to pick up where I left off and just have a marathon day of it! I really did enjoy it, but I think at that time, I was watching too many shows and unfortunately it was one of the one’s that got the cut!

This hot chocolate might come in handy though for reminiscing with those girls again! 🙂 haha

9. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Chocolate is TOTALLY the answer to almost every problem. Bad test score? Chocolate. Bad day? Chocolate. Kicked the brother? Give him chocolate. Need some mall cash? Give your mother chocolate. Dad trying to lose weight? Give him chocolate. The BEST bribe tool ever! And i had a feeling it would be hot chocolate! Over here in VA, we had some snow/ice which is gone now. But its still cold!
    Tv shows i love: New Girl, Glee, 2broke girls (sometimes), and rarely Kardashians. The latter because its fun to see people who have no actual jobs act like buffoons. What. a. life. But the show i watch every single day? Little House on the Prairie. I am so cool 🙂

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Also, i really need to make the hot cocoa picture my screensaver. Drool.

1. Sarah says:

Maybe it’s a Sarah thing? 😉

2. Sarah says:

haha I watch Little House everyday too! And sometimes the Kardashians for the same reason. And I totally agree with your continuation of chocolate is good for everything comment!

10. Oh Friends is just the absolute best; nothing can ever top it! I still can reference a Friends episode for nearly every social situation. “Oh this is like that time on Friends when Joey wore all of Chandler’s clothes…” and on it goes…

Hot chocolate is just the best! While I am pretty easily contented with just warming almond milk and adding pure cocoa to it (I have no sweet tooth either), this is a great option to serve other people who may prefer something sweeter, and the whipped ‘cream’ just looks heavenly!

11. I adore hot cocoa – it’s such a comfort food/beverage isn’t it??

I am watching Burn Notice on netflix. Love the show. Also really into the new show Revenge.

Used to watch Desperate Housewives and Greys Anatomy on DVD all the time but then got busy. At least I can pick up where I left off anytime.

12. Kristin says:

My favorites now are Mad Men, Dexter, True Blood, The Office…I started watching Friends when I was 10 years old. The series ended a month before I graduated from high school. My favorite episode ever?? The Thanksgiving one with Brad Pitt and the I Hate Rachel Green Club. 🙂

1. Sarah says:

Hahaha love that one! The Thanksgiving episodes are the best.

“I wasn’t supposed to put beef in the trifle!”

13. I miss Friends so much. It was our Friday night girls evening when I was growing up. Now I love any good spy/cop show. Love the hot chocolate, I like a little chilli and cardamom in mine – sounds odd but is really yummy 🙂 Thanks for the great recipe.

14. Sarah says:

Yum! I make something similar, but yours looks even better with the addition of full-fat coconut milk.
    What is your favorite brand of cocoa powder to use?

1. I really like Dagoba Organic… but it’s much more expensive, so I usually just buy the cheap stuff, especially for recipe testing.

15. Aja says:

Um, that looks amazing! Full-fat coconut milk? I think I just died a little.

16. “How I Met Your Mother” gives me that same fix that “Friends” gave me in the 90s.

17. Wow that looks delicious! I love Gossip Girl too, and I agree, the yelling and fighting on Jersey Shore is not appealing! Ha

18. Cassidy says:

My tv guilty pleasures are Gossip Girl, Teen Mom 2, Dexter, and True Blood. I really wanna try this hot chocolate it looks super yummy!

19. That melted chocolate on top looks amazing! i could use a big cup of hot chocolate right about now!

20. That’s how I felt when I went through Buffy The Vampire Slayer on Netflix. I didn’t want the final season to end! This hot chocolate looks delicious!! Perfect for winter 😀