Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

At the TV Studio…

Everyone with a DSLR camera, get ready to be jealous…

studio camera

studio camera

On Tuesday night, I was invited into the News 8 studio to watch as they filmed. I loved it! I got to meet the incredibly gracious news crew and get a behind-the-scenes view of what goes on during a live broadcast.

Then, when my story came on the tv, it was surreal. Shelly Slater, the news anchor, had asked me to bring another cookie pie to the set, and–unbeknownst to me–they did a live taste-test in the middle of the show. Shelly set out two desserts and didn’t tell the other newscasters which one was the healthier one. She asked them to pick their favorite… and they both picked the deep-dish cookie pie!

If you’re new to my blog, the recipe can be found here:

Deep-Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

And this is what they did on the commercial break:

news 8

No one ever did finish that other cake… Winking smile

1. Christina says:

AWESOME!!! I made that deep dish cookie pie on Wednesday night and proceeded to eat 1/4 of it by myself 🙂

2. Sarahishealthy says:

Katie, you were great! And so so beautiful! Has anyone ever told you you look like Kate Middleton? Or maybe it’s just me? 😉

Does anyone else see the resemblance?

Anyway, you were great!

1. Anonymous says:

She does look a bit like Kate!! And wonderfully talented cook aswell. Love u kate

1. Anonymous says:

just noticed that ..
        How cool.

3. Christy says:

I’m so proud of you Katie! You did such a good job and I loved how they interacted with the people on the street to prove that vegan dessert is just as tasty as it’s counterpart. I hope you mentioned to them that they had a celebrity vegan chef locally that should be on the show!

4. Emilia says:

Congratulations on your tv debut! That’s so cool that you got to see the show being filmed, sound like fun. I can see why everyone preferred the vegan dessert, the deep dish cookie pie is amazing! 🙂

5. Oh my GOSH, Katie!! I am so proud of you!!! You’re Vegan SuperGirl!!

6. Bekah says:

Congratulations Katie!! I am so happy for you :). I am a new commenter, but have been following your blog now since late summer. I am a busy mom of a toddler so I don’t always have a chance to comment haha, but I LOVE trying out your recipes. I make triple batches of many of your pancake recipes and freeze them and my husband and kiddo love all of them. My husband’s favorite is your Strawberry Shortcake Pancake :). Anyways, I have made the Chick-pea Cookie Pie about three times now and even though I use just a blender I love it and it turns out great! I gave it to my dad (who unfortunately does not like any healthy food and eats lots of fattening foods and sweets) and he had no idea that there were beans in it. He went on to have a second slice. My mom told me to NEVER tell him haha :). Okay, this is getting long. I just wanted to say congratulations on all of the positive publicity, wish you the best, and I look forward to making more of your recipes!

1. Aww that makes me so happy! I’m also glad it worked in your blender… it didn’t work at all when I tried to make it in my Vita-mix once. Chickpeas all over the place! Disaster lol!

7. L. says:

Now I reeeeaaaally want some of that cookie pie! It’s been too long since my last piece. And I agree with Sarah: you looked gorgeous!

8. Eric Jaffa says:

Good job.

If you want to make more videos, all it takes is a video-camera and a YouTube channel.

A Creative Labs Vado HD 720p Pocket Video Camcorder can be bought for $100.

A YouTube channel is free.

After filming with the Vado, you just connect the camera to your computer with the built-in cord, and the files are listed like files already on your computer. Copy-and-paste or cut-and-paste the files, then go to YouTube, and click upload.

Even if you don’t consider yourself a tech-person, millions of other people who don’t consider themselves tech-persons film themselves and post the resulting videos to YouTube.

You can add a new video to your YouTube channel as frequently or infrequently as you feel like.

1. Gi says:

….I second this. 😀
      Even though I don’t usually watch food videos (I prefer reading them), if you enjoy making videos YouTube is an option that you should consider…. after all, there are lots of people who are visual-lerners, and would love to see a video of the process.. even if maybe with some of your recipes would consist only in 1.gather the ingredients 2.throw the in the blender (which is one of the reasons to love your blog: QUICK recipes :D)
      Maybe your channel wouldn’t get so many subscribers as Smosh or Shane Dawson… but still, you would get your word spread in the net-world.
      Anyway, compliments again! Good job!! (:

9. jackie says:

Seriosly…so cool!!! I’m so psyched for you! Ok, enough exclaimation points. But I’m very happy for your recent new notoriety (in your hometown vs. the blog world). What’s next? You never know…but I’m sure it’ll be good things…

10. Kirsten says:

Great job Katie! What a fantastic segment. You were awesome!

11. jenn a. says:

I really just want someone to make that deep dish cookie pie for me, I don’t have a food processor. Please 🙂

12. jenn a. says:

buuuuut I think your segment was amazing, I would have been so scared when the anchors were trying my food….congrats girl

1. Oh I was! I was so scared they would pick the other dessert… it was live tv 😕

13. Gabrielle says:

Loved it! Can’t wait to try out the cake. Congrats on your first TV appearance!

14. Sarah S. says:

How cool 🙂 I’m so happy for you!

15. Ashley says:

Hi Katie,
    Just wanted to say congrats on the news program!! That’s so great and the cookie pie looks fantastic 🙂 I’ll have to give it a try soon. I made your cookie dough dip for our super bowl party last weekend and EVERYONE loved it (and were shocked when I told them what was in it…or NOT in it I should say!)! I’m a dietitian in Chicago and think that what you do is amazing! I can’t wait to try out more recipes and recommend them to friends and clients looking for yummy vegan desserts!

16. sarah says:

congratulations katie! I’m so happy for you! I’ve been following your blog for about a year now, and to see how much the community here has grown in just a year! what an accomplishment! Keep it up – you’re awesome!

17. Lisa Broadley says:

That was great Katie!! I’m definitely going to have to make it now!

18. Barb says:

congrats on your tv appearance! you looked amazing! its funny, i’ve always wondered what your voice sounds like…I’ve been reading your writing on this blog for so long! you should totally add videos to your blog entries!

anyway, I made a deep-dish cookie pie to celebrate you!

19. That’s so awesome – especially since it wasn’t “set up” or anything. I can’t wait to make this recipe…maybe I should make that for vday.