Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Fat Tuesday Pancakes!

Fat Tuesday!

I had grandiose plans for this day:

Chocolate pancakes made with Homemade Nutella!

But do you see a chocolate nutella pancake recipe in this post? No, you don’t. That’s because I got completely confused and thought Mardi Gras was next Tuesday. So bummed… I’d wanted to try creating a recipe for King Cake, too. If I post the pancake recipe next week, will anyone even eat them? Or are you all giving up desserts for Lent?! (Oh, I’m thinking it’s going to be a quiet time on my blog this next month!)

good3_thumb sshortcake_thumb1 brownie-batter-pancakes-1_thumb4

blur2 ice-cream-sandwiches_thumb pancakes-sharper1

pancake  pancakes

Anyway, happy pancake day…

Here are 9 ways to celebrate: Healthy Pancake Recipes.

If you click on the photos, they’ll take you to each individual recipe. Or the link above will take you to all the recipes. And once again, I’m sorry I don’t have that nutella pancake recipe for you today.

Question of the Day:

Have you had any pancakes yet today?

1. A King Cake recipe would be so much fun! I made your hot apple pie pancakes on Sunday and they were absolutely amazing. I can’t wait to make them again! I’m giving up chocolate for Lent (tragic, I know) but not ALL desserts, so I’ll still be frequenting your blog :)

2. Ahhh too many to choose from! Yum!

3. Joss says:

mmm love each of those recipes!
    Nope no pancakes yet today !

4. Meki says:

I made your red velvet pancakes! they’re so addictive and to think that they’re healthy makes it more addictive!!! Happy Pancake Day!

5. Is it customary to eat pancakes on fat tuesday?… oops!

6. haven’t had any pancakes yet today, but this post is sure making me want some! :)

7. I wasn’t planning on eating pancakes but seeing all of these delicious recipes you shared- I think I just may be eating pancakes sometime today! :)

8. Nice, these look great! No pancake today yet. I want some now!

9. Anonymous says:

Um, what’s Lent?

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Well Lent is a time (celebrated by Christians) where we give up something we really like for about forty days until Easter. It’s a time to be unselfish and closer to God. I’m still not sure what I’ll give up- maybe desserts. But I hope this helps!
      p.s.- never heard of anyone who never knew about Lent!

1. Amber K says:

And just to clarify it’s not celebrated by all Christians. Mostly Roman Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists and Presbyterians. Some other people celebrate it too. But even as a Christian, I actually didn’t know much about Lent either because I’ve never heard more about it than giving up something for the 40 days which I gleaned from pop culture.

1. Gabster 22 says:

Actually, a lot of cultures would celebrate Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras by making pancakes. Catholics used to fast on basically a vegan diet for the entire forty days. They’d put all the butter, milk, etc into their pancakes to get rid of their animal products. So, even if you wanted to do a traditional Lenten fast, everything on this website would be allowed. I doubt people back then got as creative as Katie is here in order to enjoy some semi-sweet goodness during Lent. :]

1. Anonymous says:

Thanks for explaining! I really appreciate it. REALLY didn’t want to offend anyone :). I had honestly NEVER heard of it before, not even in passing.

10. Rachel says:

Considering I thought Lent was in January I don’t think I’ll be turning down a homemade nutella recipe!

11. Anonymous says:

I just realised that my previous post, the “what’s Lent” appears kinda of rude in type. I didn’t mean it to be at all, I just don’t know what it is. I’m sorry if it offended anyone :(

You’re recipes are awesome, and this will be the week I dive into MANY of your pancake recipes. They look delicious!

1. Amber K says:

There are no dumb questions! :)

2. Ashley says:

Lent is a 40 day period in Catholicism or even some Christian denominations that leads up to Easter. It’s a period of sacrifice or taking on new things to strengthen their relationship with God. Like some give up sweets or like me Facebook.

12. Melissa says:

I made the apple pie pancakes and the only problem was that I started serving my family and found ir only made 6 pancakes and I had run out of gf flour to make more. They thought they were delicious but I ended up having to eat cereal :(

13. World_Runner says:

I love pancakes. Thanks for sharing. I just wanted to say, “Kudos” to you for being so honest in your post – you forgot but you did your best. :)

14. Maya says:

I’m going vegan for Lent :) I am quite excited. Though it will be hard to cook double meals since my husband is a) a carnivore and b) does not like leftovers much. I’ll just have to cook small instead of making myself eat leftovers so they don’t go to waste.

15. Well, you’re definitely not lacking in pancake recipes! lol

16. I didn’t realize you had so many pancake recipes….omg I want like…all of them! :)

17. Barb says:

I actually had bluebery and raspberry pancakes this morning!! What do you think about making some kind of girl scout cookie pancake?? Nutella pancakes sound amazing too, don’t stop the recipes, I’m not giving up chocolate for lent!

1. Yum, I think that’s an awesome idea. Samoas or Thin Mints???

18. Lily says:

Definitely do a king cake recipe! All the other recipes I’ve been seeing are LOADED with sugar and butter, so a healthier version would be great to see! I really want to try your pancake recipes when I get time.

19. I had no idea today was pancake day!!

20. Lena says:

I haven’t had any pancakes today yet, but I do sometimes have these crazy pancake crazes where I make it every single day for dinner (b/c I don’t have time in the morning), and for breakfast on weekends. That happened for a while after I first tried the snickerdoodle pancake recipe and fell in love with it. 😀 And I would love to see more pancake recipes!

1. Lena says:

Came to update that I made the strawberry shortcake pancakes (for some reason, despite oiling the pan as always, they reaaaally got stuck to it.. but they were still delicious!) so the above is no longer accurate. Also I just noticed I said “crazy pancake crazes”… lovely. I swear I’m sane! :)

21. I’ll eat pancakes any day! Also, I made some vegan King Cake inspired donuts to celebrate today. They are super easy and really delicious!! If you’d like to check them out and make them yourself, here’s the link: Happy Fat Tuesday!

22. snenny says:

Short answer to your dessert question: No 😀 King cake sounds like great fun. More desserts should be sparkly, yes?

I’ve already eaten thick-style pancakes for breakfast, saturated in chocolate sauce (thanks for both recipes <3 ) and tonight I'm going to be dining on savoury crepes, baked in sauce.

With the left over crepes, I think tomorrow's dinner will be a mushroom crepe pie.

23. Samantha says:

OK, I seriously laughed that you had the weeks mixed up. I would love it if you would tackle King Cake.

I am contemplating chocolate and peanut butter to give up! But as far as I am concerned that will encourage me to look at the other options on your site. :)

You read my mind because I was already surfing around your pancake recipes this morning…

1. Samantha says:

PS. I was also already planning ahead for my breaking of Lent dessert from your site too. Which you have to admit is pretty fun to think about.

24. Samantha says:

And no…no pancakes yet today. But it is early yet…

1. Samantha says:

Snickerdoodle pancakes made and consumed. I am totally surprised how much I enjoyed them!

25. Nik says:

I don’t think lent is about giving up! Normally I try to add on service hours! There’s nothing wrong with dessert to me so I would never give it up! Especially your yummy recipes! :)

1. That’s what I do too! Giving up chocolate doesn’t help me get closer to God or become a better Christian or person… and it sure makes me grumpy ;).

26. Aja says:

That’s it, I need pancakes stat!

27. Moni'sMeals says:

I love pancakes and ALL of yours look fabulous, especially today’s!

Happy Fat Tuesday!

28. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

I had (raw!) brownies for breakfast. My sister made them for dessert yesterday. So good I had to have them for breakfast.
    and they don’t make you fat :)

29. Ohhhhh my lanta — I have been on a pancake KICK this last week and all of these look uhhhhhh-mazzzing!! Yummers:)

30. Emily says:

Hey Katie – all is not lost! 😛 Eastern Orthodox Christian Lent begins on Sunday. In Russian, it’s called Maslenitsa, and it’s basically our version of Fat Tuesday. The guys have competitions to see how many pancakes (blini) they can eat – traditionally, they’re supposed to tackle a stack as tall as their forearm. It’s tons of fun, of course, and my point is that I, at least, am game for a couple more days of pancakes! :)
    (Oh, and re: Lent, last year I gave up all sweets entirely… I felt fantastic, but a bit sad as I was missing out on the wealth of vegan baking! So this year, I’m just going to give up chocolate and chocolate desserts.)

1. As long as their arm?! Yikes, that’s a lot of pancakes!
      Good luck giving up chocolate!

31. It’s even healthier if you have a pancake race before you eat!

32. I bet you would have made one mean king cake!

33. Lyn says:

I am giving up OTHER desserts for lent, but not yours! You have so many tasty, healthy (and often sugar free) recipes. :-)

34. I haven’t had any pancakes yet…though they might become my dinner tonight!

35. Lisa Kline says:

I’m giving up Energy Drinks for Lent, so I will absolutely need some powerful pancakes to get me to wake up in the morning!

I have not had ANY pancakes today :(

36. Amber K says:

I haven’t had pancakes in years. I just don’t find them that filling and gluten-free ones are always as fluffy as the ones I remember from my childhood. Yours look delicious though!

37. jenn a. says:

way to be tacky, AGAIN.

jk, made your red velv pancakes twice. ahhhmazing.

ps I’m posting from an airplane :)

1. LOL!! Oh I do so love being tacky :).

38. Kat says:

Please keep posting on your blog!!! I am giving up most sugar for lent, but you have so many sugar free recipes that I can still make them, and I love reading your blog even if I don’t plan on making it.

39. Lea(: says:

No way I’m giving up dessert. I’ve made your brownie batter pancakes, and your single serving chocolate cake. My whole family loved it, and they’re used to fatty fatty food. They didn’t even know it was healthy! I love nutella, I love pancakes. Can’t wait for the recipe!

40. Haha I did a pancake round-up post for Shrove Tuesday/Fat Tuesday today too! As per the British tradition we’re planning on a pancake dinner, and I am super excited :). Yum!!

41. Yum! I need to make a big batch of pancakes tonight and freeze them so I can eat them during the week! Your pictures sparked my pancake craving!

42. Taylor says:

Please keep the recipes coming, I promise I’ll be frequenting the site for chocolatey goodness the next 40 days!! :)

43. Lina says:

Hey love, I know this comment has nothing to do with this post, but I thought I should let you know that I mentioned your blog to Cassi Ho of

44. For my shame, I was going to make pancakes last night for this morning – and couldn’t be bothered… shocking way to behave :-)
    I made up for it by having delicious spinach and buckwheat ones for dinner, with vegan cheezy sauce and sauted mushroom, so, so good!

45. Nathalie says:

No pancakes for me yet today. But I think I will try combining your roll cake recipe with the concept of pancakes, and make a pancake roll cake with maple filling!

Also I’ve been wanting to try making crepes; those count as pancakes, right? And okonomiyaki?

1. Yeah, definitely! I think I need a crepe recipe up here…

46. MrsOgg says:

Unfortunately no pancakes for me yet today….but, it’s not over yet! I’m not giving up sweets for Lent. Plus I’ve been telling everyone I know about your blog so, I think you will have a few new people coming by soon. In fact, I wanted to thank you because an old friend visited this weekend and announced they were vegan….I quickly threw together your fudge babies recipe for them and I can’t tell you how happy they were! It was the first dessert she or her husband had had in the two weeks since they changed their lifestyle. So, I think you will soon have two new followers. 😉

1. Aww I’m so happy that the fudge babies could make them happy! :) :)

47. Grace says:

I’m proud to say I’m going vegan for Lent :) it should be easy with this amazing blog! my best friend’s brother is quite excited because he knows I bake vegan and because I’m going vegan for lent, I offered to share :)

48. yes yes yes! i had pancakes twice today, first for lunch at work (no one could tell my pancakes were different from the regular batter) and then again this evening. I made traditionally thin British style pancakes and this were a huge success (last year they were a huge disaster as I was only just making the vegan transition). I swamped them with banana, blueberries and maple syrup….so.good!

49. Everything still is mouthwatering. I didn’t know what today was either until I saw a bunch of people at work wearing Mardi Gras beads.

50. MigraineMe says:

My mouth is watering for these pancakes – they look delicious! And, I just learned way more about Fat Tuesday and pancakes than I ever knew before! :)

51. Caralyn says:

In celebration of pancake day, I made brown sugar pancakes with vanilla!! yum. :)

52. Katarina says:

Lovely recipes! In Finland we eat Shrove Tuesday Buns on this day, here is what they look like :)

53. Jodi says:

It just so happens that I made Apple Pie Pancakes last night and had leftovers for morning tea :) I think they tasted even better today

54. Elisabeth says:

I had no idea it was pancake day until my friend in the UK told me about it…apparently its a big deal over there complete with “pancake rolling” contests?? Haha awesome…well I am looking forward to the recipe when you do post it!

55. Debbie says:

I made your red velvet pancakes for breakfast and had vegan dirty rice from Whole Foods for lunch. Sooo Good.

56. Gabrielle says:

Hey Katie,
    Have you seen this article from the New York Times? It made me think of your blog, and even this post in particular. Keep the dessert-for-breakfast recipes coming – looking forward to your chocolate pancakes with nutella! :)

57. Agne says:

Yes, I made some pancakes yesterday! Although I have to try to avoid flour and its products, because of a nickel allergy (yes, food is related with that!), I could not spend such day without pancakes! :DD So, I made some completely simple ones – gluten free flour + cinnamon + baking powder + flax seed egg and my secret and never tried ingredient – prepared instant coffee in a place of wet ingredients and sweetener (it is good one – only coffee, sugar, and plant-based creamer) :) It was tasty! The only problem was that they looked like slightly unbaked inside – I do not know if it is because of flour or something.. I am not used to gluten-free and vegan baking yet :))
    Do you know, what could have gone wrong?
    However, I was happy to have pancakes! And the cinnamon taste was really good in them :)

58. Agne says:

By the way, I would like to share some short information about this day in my country :)

59. Jade C says:

I had no pancakes :( – realising AFTERWARDS that it was on Tuesday. I don’t usually do this but this year I think I might give up fish, or go ALL vegan – yeah!! Thanks, great post as usual :).
    Jade C.

60. Audrey says:

These all look amazing!! I’m going vegan for Lent, so will be excited to be able to indulge on these recipes!

61. Lauren says:

Please, please, please post a recipe for homemade Nutella! I was just thinking about this two days ago! I’m giving up refined sugar and artificial sweeteners for Lent, so I made my husband take the rest of it to work to share with his coworkers. After that, I kept thinking, “I wonder if I could make my own…”.

62. Carina says:

Hello Katie,

I just discovered you blog and LOVE it!

But: can you tell me what messurement ‘T’ is (like 2T sugar)? Is it tablespoon?

1. Hi Carina :)

Sorry for the confusion. T = tablespoon. I use tsp for teaspoon.

63. Elizabeth says:

I made chocolate bacon pancakes for mardi gras!

64. Ashley says:

Please post a King Cake recipe! I’m from Louisiana and would love to try a vegan version of it!