Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Fat Tuesday Pancakes!

Fat Tuesday!

I had grandiose plans for this day:

Chocolate pancakes made with Homemade Nutella!

But do you see a chocolate nutella pancake recipe in this post? No, you don’t. That’s because I got completely confused and thought Mardi Gras was next Tuesday. So bummed… I’d wanted to try creating a recipe for King Cake, too. If I post the pancake recipe next week, will anyone even eat them? Or are you all giving up desserts for Lent?! (Oh, I’m thinking it’s going to be a quiet time on my blog this next month!)

good3_thumb sshortcake_thumb1 brownie-batter-pancakes-1_thumb4

blur2 ice-cream-sandwiches_thumb pancakes-sharper1

pancake  pancakes

Anyway, happy pancake day…

Here are 9 ways to celebrate: Healthy Pancake Recipes.

If you click on the photos, they’ll take you to each individual recipe. Or the link above will take you to all the recipes. And once again, I’m sorry I don’t have that nutella pancake recipe for you today.

Question of the Day:

Have you had any pancakes yet today?

1. A King Cake recipe would be so much fun! I made your hot apple pie pancakes on Sunday and they were absolutely amazing. I can’t wait to make them again! I’m giving up chocolate for Lent (tragic, I know) but not ALL desserts, so I’ll still be frequenting your blog 🙂

2. Ahhh too many to choose from! Yum!

3. Is it customary to eat pancakes on fat tuesday?… oops!

4. haven’t had any pancakes yet today, but this post is sure making me want some! 🙂

5. I wasn’t planning on eating pancakes but seeing all of these delicious recipes you shared- I think I just may be eating pancakes sometime today! 🙂

6. Nice, these look great! No pancake today yet. I want some now!

7. Anonymous says:

Um, what’s Lent?

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Well Lent is a time (celebrated by Christians) where we give up something we really like for about forty days until Easter. It’s a time to be unselfish and closer to God. I’m still not sure what I’ll give up- maybe desserts. But I hope this helps!
      p.s.- never heard of anyone who never knew about Lent!

1. Amber K says:

And just to clarify it’s not celebrated by all Christians. Mostly Roman Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists and Presbyterians. Some other people celebrate it too. But even as a Christian, I actually didn’t know much about Lent either because I’ve never heard more about it than giving up something for the 40 days which I gleaned from pop culture.

1. Gabster 22 says:

Actually, a lot of cultures would celebrate Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras by making pancakes. Catholics used to fast on basically a vegan diet for the entire forty days. They’d put all the butter, milk, etc into their pancakes to get rid of their animal products. So, even if you wanted to do a traditional Lenten fast, everything on this website would be allowed. I doubt people back then got as creative as Katie is here in order to enjoy some semi-sweet goodness during Lent. :]

1. Anonymous says:

Thanks for explaining! I really appreciate it. REALLY didn’t want to offend anyone :). I had honestly NEVER heard of it before, not even in passing.

8. Rachel says:

Considering I thought Lent was in January I don’t think I’ll be turning down a homemade nutella recipe!

9. Anonymous says:

I just realised that my previous post, the “what’s Lent” appears kinda of rude in type. I didn’t mean it to be at all, I just don’t know what it is. I’m sorry if it offended anyone 🙁

You’re recipes are awesome, and this will be the week I dive into MANY of your pancake recipes. They look delicious!

1. Amber K says:

There are no dumb questions! 🙂

2. Ashley says:

Lent is a 40 day period in Catholicism or even some Christian denominations that leads up to Easter. It’s a period of sacrifice or taking on new things to strengthen their relationship with God. Like some give up sweets or like me Facebook.

10. Melissa says:

I made the apple pie pancakes and the only problem was that I started serving my family and found ir only made 6 pancakes and I had run out of gf flour to make more. They thought they were delicious but I ended up having to eat cereal 🙁

11. World_Runner says:

I love pancakes. Thanks for sharing. I just wanted to say, “Kudos” to you for being so honest in your post – you forgot but you did your best. 🙂

12. Maya says:

I’m going vegan for Lent 🙂 I am quite excited. Though it will be hard to cook double meals since my husband is a) a carnivore and b) does not like leftovers much. I’ll just have to cook small instead of making myself eat leftovers so they don’t go to waste.

13. Well, you’re definitely not lacking in pancake recipes! lol

14. Barb says:

I actually had bluebery and raspberry pancakes this morning!! What do you think about making some kind of girl scout cookie pancake?? Nutella pancakes sound amazing too, don’t stop the recipes, I’m not giving up chocolate for lent!

1. Yum, I think that’s an awesome idea. Samoas or Thin Mints???

15. Lily says:

Definitely do a king cake recipe! All the other recipes I’ve been seeing are LOADED with sugar and butter, so a healthier version would be great to see! I really want to try your pancake recipes when I get time.

16. I had no idea today was pancake day!!

17. Lena says:

I haven’t had any pancakes today yet, but I do sometimes have these crazy pancake crazes where I make it every single day for dinner (b/c I don’t have time in the morning), and for breakfast on weekends. That happened for a while after I first tried the snickerdoodle pancake recipe and fell in love with it. 😀 And I would love to see more pancake recipes!

1. Lena says:

Came to update that I made the strawberry shortcake pancakes (for some reason, despite oiling the pan as always, they reaaaally got stuck to it.. but they were still delicious!) so the above is no longer accurate. Also I just noticed I said “crazy pancake crazes”… lovely. I swear I’m sane! 🙂

1. lol 🙂
        So glad you liked them!

18. I’ll eat pancakes any day! Also, I made some vegan King Cake inspired donuts to celebrate today. They are super easy and really delicious!! If you’d like to check them out and make them yourself, here’s the link: Happy Fat Tuesday!

19. snenny says:

Short answer to your dessert question: No 😀 King cake sounds like great fun. More desserts should be sparkly, yes?

I’ve already eaten thick-style pancakes for breakfast, saturated in chocolate sauce (thanks for both recipes <3 ) and tonight I'm going to be dining on savoury crepes, baked in sauce.

With the left over crepes, I think tomorrow's dinner will be a mushroom crepe pie.

20. Samantha says:

OK, I seriously laughed that you had the weeks mixed up. I would love it if you would tackle King Cake.

I am contemplating chocolate and peanut butter to give up! But as far as I am concerned that will encourage me to look at the other options on your site. 🙂

You read my mind because I was already surfing around your pancake recipes this morning…

1. Samantha says:

PS. I was also already planning ahead for my breaking of Lent dessert from your site too. Which you have to admit is pretty fun to think about.