Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Throw an Oscars Theme Party!

(Note: If you only read my site for new recipes, rest assured there’ll be a new recipe posted both tomorrow and Tuesday!)

I had fun with this post.

Theme parties are always fun to plan, and virtual theme parties are even better. (No mess!) But I did run into a little trouble, having only seen one of the movies up for Best Picture. Thankfully, an incredible creation exists; it is called Google. Have you heard of it? Earth-shattering news, I know.

More trouble: three of the movies take place in France, yet when I scoured my dessert recipes, I found not one single French recipe! Not an éclair, nor a petit four. Not even a crème brulee. (That really does need to change. Soon.) Still in all, I had fun planning my virtual Oscars party. Shall we start with dessert? Dessert is always the best. Well, maybe we should start with drinks and hors d’oeuvres … and save the best for last.

oscars food

Coconut Floats

This tropical twist on a root beer float pays homage to the Hawaiian setting of The Descendants. All you need is a paper umbrella. And a really thick straw.

granola bars 4

Nature Valley Granola

Crumble these bars and serve the granola as pre-dinner munchies, and you’ve got a snack of which Joey the horse, in War Horse, would approve.

oscars

Little Vegan Ratatouille

I published this recipe a long time ago, but it’s still one of my favorite dinner recipes. I bet it’d even work in a crockpot! Three of the movies up for Best Picture take place in France, and this just so happens to be the only French recipe on my entire blog. Sad sad sad. I need to work on some crepes. And that crème brulee!

oscars ice cream

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

For Brad Pitt’s Moneyball, because this ice cream is minty green… like money. And no one is poor who has mint-chocolate chip ice cream. Also for Moneyball:

cookie-dough-pop

Cookie Ball Pops

It’s a chocolate-chip cookie on a stick! With this recipe, you’ve got the balls (the cookies) and the bats (the sticks). And cookie ball pops are way more fun than cake pops.

vegan-macaroons

Four-Minute Macaroons

Going with the black-and-white theme for The Artist. My coconut cookie dough oatmeal is also black and white. But um… do you really want to serve oatmeal at a dinner party? People would think you were nuts!

oscars apple

Buttery Apple Crumble Bars

Representing the Big Apple, setting of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. These bars are always a hit at parties, even with people who don’t like healthy desserts.

tofu-pie

Ultimate Chocolate-Fudge Pie

I’m sorry; it had to be done. I couldn’t resist. Obviously this “show stopper” healthy dessert is minus the secret ingredient in the pie from The Help!

Question of the Day:

Will you watch the Oscars tonight?

If I weren’t going to an Oscars party tonight, I probably would’ve skipped it and just looked at the dresses in People. (That’s my favorite part!)

I’m bringing two dishes tonight. One is the Pizza Hummus.

The other is a surprise… If everyone likes it, I’ll post the recipe on Tuesday!!

1. Love this!! I’m having a few friends over to watch the show tonight–cannot wait!!

2. Lisa C says:

How did I miss those cookie ball pops when you first posted them?!? They look right up my alley.

Cookie on a stick? Yes please!

3. Lindsay says:

Some day I’m going to throw a party and invite you so that I can eat all the food you bring. 😉 haha! Have a good time!

1. Lindsay says:

Oops, I think i just confused myself about if this was a real party or not. I need to read things more thoroughly! It’s ok, I can just blame stuff like this on my blonde hair.

4. I don’t have a TV so I won’t be watching, haha and the only movie I’ve seen up for Best Picture is The Help, so I’m not super invested!

5. That coconut float looks incredible!

6. Barb says:

My favorite part is the dresses too! I LOVEE watching E!’s Fashion Police the day after awards shows. Unfortunately, I’lll be stuck in lab doing experiments during most of the show tonight, but I’m planning on watchign some of it streaming! Wish I could come to your oscar party instead !!

1. Sarah says:

That’s my favorite part, too. I love E :)

7. Such a fun post! I can’t wait to watch tonight! I am rooting for the help!! Love the chocolate pie reference LOL!

1. Sarah says:

Haha me too!

8. Ah! This was such a great idea! If I get my report submitted tonight, then MAYBE I’ll watch them. All of the food looks great as always. Question about the War Horse bars, though (hehe…) Could I use date puree as a sweetener in them, or do you think that would throw of the taste? Thanks a bunch :)

9. Not going to watch and almost forgot they are on…just because I have so much work to do at my computer, no time for TV tonite. Fun post :)

10. Love them all! I’m hosting a get together and so far the menu consists of “Chips with a Dragon Tattoo” (green spinach dip); “Brie of Life” (a vegan version of brie, which will taste nothing like brie!), and some star-shaped cookies (for the hollywood stars!).

11. Debbie says:

I will have to make the chocolate pie. It seems appropriate since the only movie I saw was the Help.

12. Nicole says:

I already made your Fudge pie for our party tonight. Couldn’t resist!

1. Haha I know some people will balk at the idea… but heck, that just means more pie for those of us who can keep the two thoughts apart! 😉

13. Fun post! Very creative. Petit fours are soooo delicious, it would be amazing if you did a recipe for healthy petit fours some day! I love pretty much all French (dessert) recipes :)

14. Amber K says:

I probably won’t watch it, but then I tend not to watch any of the awards shows. Except the ones on MTV because they are usually way more fun. I’d rather just read about who won and who wore something crazy later on. But good food is to be had every time!

15. –This food looks incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Shauna says:

Yes, Please do a creme brûlée recipe! I just got a brûlée torch so a vegan recipe would be amazing:)

1. bitt says:

I think Chloe Coscarelli has one if you can’t wait.

17. jenn a. says:

have you ever made cashew gravy? if so do you happen to have a recipe?

1. jenn a. says:

sorry, this question was meant for another post where you mention the cashew kale, idk why i commented under this post.

2. I haven’t :(.
      I really want to try making acashew alfredo!

1. Samantha says:

I had one I printed years ago that I can’t even find the site for anymore. I actually like it but think it could be better.

Off the top of my head, I think the ingredients include cashews, tofu, fresh lemon juice and garlic. I started adding fresh basil – made a huge difference. I would love to try out something you could come up with!

2. jenn a. says:

thaaank you!

katie, I’d be very interested in a cashew alfredo!

18. bitt says:

I had just made a chocolate pie then saw the Help. It was so hard to eat afterwards, but somehow we suffered through. 😉

19. Melissa says:

Can’t wait for that Creme’ Brulee’ recipe!!!

20. Yum. These all sound amazing.

I might watch. For the dresses really.

21. Samantha says:

This makes me wish I was hosting a party!

I never get to watch them (no TV reception and can’t afford cable). I do look at some of the after photos though for the dresses.

Love the float idea!

Looking forward to your coming creations. :)

22. Albizia says:

I’m watching the red carpet only because it is already morning here in Japan and will be at the university by the time the actual awards start. So… no party, no cool snacks. Only a bowl of steaming buckwheat with strawberries, coconut and cocoa powder. I’m not complaining, though :) .

23. Hahaha, I have to give you points for this!
    Very creative!

24. This was so fun to read! Great idea :) I’m currently watching, and catching up on my blog reading during commercial breaks!

25. Zestful Lou says:

Super cute and creative post! Loved it!!

26. Katharina says:

My roommate said we should watch the Oscar’s so we started watching.. kinda late though. I missed all the fashion, but I saw what Gwenyth was wearing.. STUNNING!

That pizza hummus sounds yuuuummmy 😉

XO!

p.s. I may have to make that coconut float this week since I’m flying down to sunny South Florida!

27. All your recipes always looks so amazing! I love mint chocolate chip ice cream!
    We just ate ice cream from the freezer and watched the Oscars!

28. I didnt watch the oscars but it would have ment staying up all night. my favourite cinema had a life viewing starting at 1 am though- i would have gone if i didnt have to work AND teach yoga today! your french style desserts and food looks so darn delicious. wanna swim in pool of chocolate right now!

29. I did not watch the Oscars last night. I did, however, watch some of the pre-show coverage on E! and happened to see “The Dictator” dump “ashes” all over Ryan Seacrest! Did you see that (or did they talk about it at the show at all)? Crazy!

30. Amanda says:

We had an Oscar party last night. Didn’t do so well with the theme but we did have one thing – your chocolate pie for “The Help!” OMG, loved it!!! Everyone loved it! I like all your other recipes, too. I was fresh out of ideas. It didn’t help that I hadn’t seen most of the movies this year… :(

31. Great post Katie! I don’t typically watch the oscars, but I do love looking at the dresses! These treats look delicious, especially that chocolate pie!!