How to have a Chocolate St. Patrick’s Day!

This is going to be one green post.

I think green foods are my favorite: Kale, broccoli, zucchini…

And mint-chocolate chip!!

mintshake

Healthy Shamrock Shakes

Have you ever tried a McDonalds’ shamrock shake? I actually haven’t, but I make this shake at least once a month. It is so incredibly delicious… and so vibrantly green!

st patricks cupcake

Mint-Chocolate Cupcakes

If Baskin & Robbins made their famous mint-chocolate-chip ice cream into a cupcake, I imagine it would taste something like this. Bonus points for adding chocolate chips to the batter.

st patricks day foos

Irish Soda Baked Oatmeal

This cookie-like oatmeal would make a perfect St. Patrick’s Day breakfast!

st pat

My Oatmeal Recipes

If you click on the above link, you’ll find a list of all my oatmeal recipes. Oatmeal is a staple in Ireland… you’ve gotta eat oatmeal on St. Patrick’s Day!

st patricks desserts

Spinach Ice Cream

Yes, spinach. Don’t be scared! Just like with green smoothies, you cannot taste the spinach in this. It’s a great way to get kids begging for vegetables!

st patricks

Peppermint Cream Parfait

Looks like Jello pudding, but it’s much healthier! And don’t forget the gooey chocolate frosting…

st

Mint-Chocolate-Chip Ice Cream

A healthy alternative to the stuff you’d find at a fancy-schmancy ice cream parlor.

st p

Key Lime Pie Mini Parfaits

Just in case you were wondering where Leprechauns go for the winter, here is your answer: They go to Florida! They sit on the beach and eat key lime pie.

guac_thumb

Avocado-Free Guacamole

Try bringing this deliciously green dip to your St. Patrick’s Day party. I call it “Aspari-Dip” since I don’t think it tastes like avocado. But when I served it to a bunch of friends, they told me it was better than guacamole!

Question of the Day:

Are you going to eat anything green on St. Patrick’s Day?

Are you Irish? And do you make sure to wear green? I’m sure I’ll eat something green without even trying, since so many foods–especially veggies–are green. And I always wear green on St. Patrick’s Day… being pinched hurts! As for being Irish, my grandfather was a full-blooded Irishman, but I’ve never actually been to his homeland. I’d love to go someday.

1. I have some Irish in me … so I’ll probably sport a green t shirt or something! Wouldn’t want to get pinched 😉 and there’s no doubt I’ll eat something green on Saturday as well – I sneak spinach into almost every meal!

1. Justine Duppong @ Life With Cheeseburgers says:

Breakfast too? I bet you could make a pretty good savory spinach oatmeal!

2. Tara Deal says:

These recipes all look delicious!! I have been brainstorming as to which tasty green treat I will make….

3. Jade C says:

These all look great, Katie!!

Um, I don’t wish to alarm you but your “Home” button has disappeared..

1. Yes, I know 🙁 🙁

A few minutes ago, EVERYthing disappeared! I got most of it back… but have no clue how to get the home button back!!

1. Ooh wait, I’m smarter than I give myself credit for ;). It’s back!

1. Still don’t know why it’s off-centered!
          Oh to understand technology… :-?.

4. I LOVE St. Patty’s Day!! I’m half irish so i celebrate hard 🙂

5. Perfect post! This is going to be my go-to post for weekend baking!!!~! 🙂 So excited to make the goodness!

6. Michaela says:

LOVE this post. You listed all of my fav peppermint recipes 🙂
    I will def celebrate, though I won´t be in Ireland this year.
    You should go visit Ireland, if you have the chance. It is my most loved country in the world- stunningly beautiful and the people are unbelievably friendly.

7. I’m fairly irish but don’t have too many st pattys day plans as of now except enjoying a few hard ciders with friends!

8. I always eat green veggies, so I’m sure I’ll eat something green on St. Patty’s!

9. Samantha says:

How funny, we have pretty much the exact same green foods – although avocado is also in my list which I know isn’t one of your favorites right now. 🙂

Right now I have a frozen block of your peanut butter hot chocolate ice cream – not the least bit St. Patrick’s Day…but I still have time for other creations.

Have a great day.

10. green foods are my favorite too: kale chips, mint chocolate chip ice cream, GREEN monster smoothies…! love all of your st patty’s day green options Katie. Especially that chocolate grasshopper pie. holy cow! yum.

11. Yum YUM! I am loving all of these 😀

12. Lena says:

St. Patrick’s Day is actually my birthday! I was always quite proud of that despite having no Irish heritage. Heh. But these recipes all look amazing. I really want to try the mint fudge pie, but I can’t find mint extract in any of the supermarkets I’ve looked in! Crazy. 🙁 I don’t know why, it seems common enough to me…

1. Are you looking for peppermint extract? Make sure it’s peppermint, not mint.

13. I am Irish and I live in Dublin, Ireland 🙂

I love how people from the US and all over the world get excited for St. Patrick’s Day, it makes me feel very special 🙂

Although, just a word of warning to all of you, us Irish can’t stand when others refer to the holiday as “St. Patty’s Day” ! Patty is a girl’s name! There’s actually a website dedicated to this cause but I’m not sure if I am allowed link it here?
    Basically : Paddy, Patrick, Pat are fine
    Patty is NOT!

Oh and another thing, we call oatmeal “Porridge” 🙂 I think it’s yummy but not many of my friends would eat it! They’d much rather a big Irish Fry Up!

Love Holly

14. Suzie says:

This is perfect, I am going to a St. Patty’s Day potluck and wasn’t sure what to bring… but now I think I will prong the chocolate mint cupcakes : )

I am not Irish by no means, but I sure do love oats! And definitely be wearing green, like you I hate being pinched…

15. Amber K says:

I have no Irish in my heritage that I know of, but I do love green foods! I don’t actually own anything green, so I won’t be wearing it. I remember being younger and always claiming there was green on my underwear, lol.

16. Janae says:

Isn’t everyone a bit Irish? I mean, if you’re white, American, chances are you probably have some Irish in ya. That’s why St. Patty’s day is such an important holiday, right? Here’s to green milkshakes, cabbage, and soda bread!

17. Ciara says:

I agree with a comment a few above – there have even been newspaper articles about this ‘patty’ nonsense. We say Paddy, as in short for Patrick. So It’s Paddy’s day, St.Patricks, Patricks, or at a push St.pats. (Pa is also short for Patrick though). But there is no PATTY.

1. Amen to that, we need to stop the spread of “Patty”! It makes me cringe

18. Steph says:

Just my daily veggies will be green. I wish I had the fancy ingredients to make your yummy treats though! They look mouthwatering… I am wearing green. Not on purpose either!

19. Mmmm who knew green food good look so good 🙂

20. Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie says:

Love me some green foods! I’m thinking a green smoothie is in order 🙂