Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

2 Ingredient Coconut Cookie Dough Balls!

You know me.

A simple no-bake snack that can be made in under 5 minutes, and both kids and adults will gobble them up:

You know I like recipes that are fast and easy.  So these coconut cookie dough balls are pretty much a dream come true. First of all, they taste like coconut cookie dough. And secondly, they’re no-bake, with just two ingredients.

It can’t get any easier than that!

I also now have new recipe tab: 5 Minute Dessert Recipes.

(If you click on the above link, you’ll see all of my recipes that take 5 minutes or less to make! I’m working on a “no-bake” tab as well.)

I’m not even sure I can call this a “recipe.” It’s too simple!

Coconut Cookie Dough Balls

(no added sugar!)

• Scant 2/3 cup pitted dates (80 g) (I like Sunmaid brand, because they’re softer. See the nutritional info link, below, for substitution notes)
  • 1 and 1/2 tbsp coconut butter or Homemade Coconut Butter
  • Tiny pinch salt (can be omitted if desired)
  • Optional: shredded coconut, chocolate chips, etc.

Blend everything together in a food processor. This makes a small batch, so I used my Magic Bullet. If you have a bigger processor, it might be best to double or triple the recipe so everything blends more smoothly. (The recipe can be done in a blender, but the results are stickier.) Smush into one big ball, then roll into little balls or bars or cookie-cuttered shapes. These will last in the refrigerator for a few weeks or frozen for a few months, or they can be frozen.

View Cookie Dough Balls Nutrition Facts

coconut cookie dough balls

Note: the cookie dough balls in the photos contain nuts. But after taking photos I revamped the recipe to make it nut-free!

If you want balls without coconut butter, try one of these similar recipes:

German-Chocolate Fudge Bites

fg samoas

Girl-Scout Cookie Bites

Are you a fan of quick and simple recipes?

Or do you prefer the challenge of making fancier, more-complicated recipes? If you have any favorite quick recipe ideas, feel free to share them in the comment section.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Becca R says:

“Are you a fan of quick and simple recipes?” Is that a joke? haha. :) Actually, I don’t really mind long recipes, because I taste as I go, so it’s not like I’m waiting for the final result! haha

1. trajayjay says:

Well, what if you’re baking something?

2. These remind me of the coconut cream pie larabars – one of my favorite flavors!

1. That’s exactly what I thought too! Great recipe idea Katie!

3. The more simple the better! I love quick and easy recipes! …..I love dates! They make everything better!

4. Elise says:

Hi Katie, I’m not sure if you’d know why this happens but I am signed up to your email notification system and everytime you post a new recipe I get the previous post sent to me e.g. today I received the email ‘Here is what happened on Saturday…’ instead of today’s 2 Ingredient Coconut Cookie Dough Balls. It’s ok because I know when I receive an email you’ve put a new post up so can go and check your site, it’s just that the content of the email is delayed by a day… very weird.

1. My email system is weird :(.
      I don’t know why it’s doing that. Sometimes it skips posts altogether, which is even MORE annoying/frustrating :(.

5. I have a bag of left over dates from baking wedding cookies and this seems like a perfect way to use them up. Thanks…

1. Lisa says:

It’s National Truffle Day! A perfect excuse! :)

6. Suzie says:

Yummy, coconut dough balls– cant pass that up! Thanks for making it nut-free (I am sadly allergic).

7. i’m ALL about quick and simple recipes!! these sound great! i just need to get my hands on some coconut butter!

1. Samantha says:

I finally bought some and couldn’t believe I waited so long…it is amazing stuff.

1. Sami B. says:

I bought my first jar last month…..I can tell it’s gonna be a problem. So good.

2. Samantha says:

LOL :) That was kind of my feeling the first time I cracked the jar open.

8. Jessica says:

Gah! You are the best!!! Proving once again that recipes do not need to be complicated to be good. It’s one of the reasons your blog is my favorite: because you’re like the rest of us, not some chef who expects everyone to know how to (and have time to) do all these fancy cooking methods. Your recipes are so simple anyone could make them… and yet we don’t think of them! It’s your ability to simplify that is so genius!

Of course, I also like your more complicated recipes as well. The deep dish cookie pie is my all time favorite dessert EVER!

1. Lisa says:

I agree. I love that CCK’s recipes are easy enough for us “non cooks” to make. Just because we don’t like to cook doesn’t mean we shouldn’t get to eat well too!

9. Lisa says:

I’m making these TODAY!
    Did you know it’s National Truffle Day?

10. Melissa says:

I am definitely better with quick and easy recipes! The more steps and ingredients the more chances to get distracted and mess up! Besides I cook more with love than skill, and it’s much easier to love a quick, simple recipe. And this one looks great. As soon as I make some coconut butter I’m making this one.
    Thanks for all the totally delicious and amazing recipes. You’re totally amazing!

1. Em says:

I am the same way! Somehow, if it’s a long and complicated recipe (or even not so complicated) I always seem to mess up a step. Quick recipes are much safer for me ;).

11. Em says:

I made them!!! :) :)

Is that a record for fastest time to make a recipe after it’s posted, I wonder?
    Katie, they are awesome. Might just be my new favorite snack, because they’re so quick to make. I’ve done your other fudge babies before (the chocolate ones and the pb cookie dough ones), and I love them and make them all the time. But these are even easier!

12. Samantha says:

Em beat me to making them already! :) LOL way to go Em.

Anyway, I am looking forward to these. I make the peanut butter ones all the time and add coconut to those. I am also one of the ones that makes them with prunes so I will report how prunes and coconut butter get along. :)

I do really enjoy the quick and simple to squeeze in the day and try more things out. I also have no problem with a little more prep time and involvement for something I am going to enjoy. Especially for more meal type options that will be eaten over several days (like your polenta casserole!).

I will say when quick and simple fails I usually recover quicker!

1. Samantha says:

I just made these with prunes (plus some shredded coconut) and I think they are great! Full disclosure however is that I have never eaten a larabar and I am not sure if I have ever had a date so I don’t know about the taste comparison. They were good to me though!

1. Julie says:

Add prunes, figs, and some ground almonds and you have Sugarplums!

2. Jeana says:

What are the peanut butter ones?

1. Samantha says:

Oh the peanut butter cookie dough ones are heavenly:

I stay true to recipe with the following substitutions (has more to do with what my kitchen is stocked with:

Prunes for raisins
        Shredded coconut for peanuts

I LOVE them. Huge staple for me.

PS. Having on occasion left the salt out I can tell you I liked the salt in there.

13. Stacey says:

I just have to say that this coconut butter is seriously the best thing ever invented. I eat it by the spoonful! Sadly I am doing a candida diet right now- no sweetener/fruit….Otherwise I would be all over these!

1. I do too! It’s dangerous. When I first saw it at Whole Foods a few years ago, I wasn’t even going to try it. I thought it sounded boring! But then they sent me a free (mini) sample… life was never the same ;).

14. Sami B. says:

Oh my word. So yummy. Well, to answer the question, yesterday I made your volume ice cream and threw in pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices, and mini chocolate chips. It took literally 5 minutes and was DELISH!!

1. Em says:

That sounds like Thanksgiving in a bowl. Yum!

15. These look so easy, and I LOVE easy! I freak out when an ingredients list goes above 5 or 6 things, especially things that I don’t already have!

16. Mmmm I still have to bite the bullet and buy some coconut butter! I have a hard time justifying $12 for a lil jar at the moment 😛 But these cookies look like a good reason…

I am a BIG fan of simple recipes!! On occasion, I like to put in a lot of effort {like for lasagna or a double layer cake} but the majority of my recipes are quick and easy because I don’t want to wait for my food, and I’m usually busy. It’s so easy to make delicious food in 5-20 mins :)

1. Do it!!!

If you think about it, a candy bar is a dollar. But it’s single-serving. This is $12 and you get more than 12 servings. Well, unless you’re me ;).

2. Anna Banana says:

You should make your own! Bulk dried coconut isn’t too expensive. I made two easily jar-sized (or more) batches with about $4 worth of coconut. Katie has a recipe on here for it and it’s easy-peasy.

1. Sara Dane says:

Great tip!

17. Arielle says:

Yes, I love quick and simple recipes! Can’t wait to try this one :)

18. Yuuuuuuuuuuum!!! GAH! I love coconut!!! I’ve got to make some coconut butter!

19. These look insanely good!!!!

20. Anna Banana says:

I think most of my quick fix recipes I either got from you or are based off of something I got from you. I’m currently going through a pitcher of black forest smoothie/milkshake I made the other day. I feel like you have a recipe for that on here but I haven’t looked at it – I used two frozen bananas, 1c coconut milk, 1.5c soy milk, 1c frozen cherries, 1/2tsp vanilla extract, and liberal chocolate chips and blended. I make my smoothies in bulk because they are so filling that I have breakfast for four days afterwards! Perfect for me because I have to be up early every day and I rarely feel the drive to cook before 6am.

1. Leslie says:

That sounds delicious! I am always looking for recipes with cherries. I can’t get enough!

21. Thanks for the recipe Katie! I will have to try it. I love quick recipes that satisfy the urgent sweet tooth cravings.
    Here’s a link to my favorite quick, gluten-free, soy-free, vegan no bake cookie
    it’s more like a 10 minute dessert, but worth the extra five minutes.

22. Leslie says:

Thanks, Katie! We just made these for an after-lunch treat and the kiddos ate four balls each! I guess that means they liked them!
    I think we make a recipe from your site every day! Still waiting for that cookbook ;).

23. Allyson says:

Does coconut oil work instead of butter?

1. Emma says:

Someone on CCK’s facebook page said she tried it and it worked well. But CCK said she hadn’t tried it.

24. Kit-Kat says:

I like simple recipes, but I also like the challenge of trying a recipe that is a little more complex (like a special cake!).

25. Ohh these cookie dough balls look fabulous! And a whole section devoted to 5-minute desserts?! That’s amazing and will come in handy when I have a dessert craving but cannot be bothered to wait! I pretty much only make quick recipes, taking 20-30 minutes. I get home from work late and if I want to eat dinner by 9 or so, then 20-30 min is all I’ve got!

26. I am definitely a fan of recipes that use minimal ingredients that are easy to put together! You don’t always want to spend 2 hours in the kitchen! 😉

27. Jennifer JCD says:

I just made them and they are awesome!! I love quick and simple recipes so long as they still taste wonderful! I would rather spend an hour making something amazing than waste five minutes on something that tastes like doggie doo. These were definitely worth the 5 minutes… and now I need to make another batch because… umm… the first one disappeared. <3

28. Pooja says:

These look wonderful. I am going to make them today after I go buy dates (wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could buy the other kind of “dates” too). I am really really looking forward to your no-bake tab as I don’t have an oven and often mess up things recipes trying to make them in my microwave :(.

1. Haha well you technically can buy dates… lol

29. Melissa @ SquatsandSquash says:

These look great!! thanks for posting!

30. Sara Dane says:

I love recipes that only use a few ingredients. There is nothing worse than getting through half a really complicated recipe and realizing you don’t have a special spice or exotic vegetable to use.

Thank you for so many recipes that all seem to use similar ingredients. It makes cooking economical, easy, fun and yummy!

31. Jessica says:

When I feel the need to impress someone, I choose a recipe that looks really complicated…and find the easiest way to make it. xD
    Yay laziness! These coconut balls look sooo good. My blender thanks you Katie, cuz without you I wouldn’t be showing it so much love as I am now from making all these delicious and healthy desserts <3

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Love this! I am the opposite! I try to make an easy recipe and then make it LOOK fancy, with drizzled icing or fondant or something ;).

32. Sophie says:

Thanks for the super easy recipe! I love that there aren’t any nuts.

Anyway, I have a sort of strange request. As someone who enjoys taking pictures of food, but isn’t all that good at it, I love to take in any tips i can. If you have a chance (and it’s fine if you don’t, i know you have a busy schedule) could you write a post on your average photo shoot? For example, how you set up, where you do it, and how you decide what you’ll include in the shot. Some pictures of you routine would be awesome too.

Thanks so much!

1. Hi Sophie :)

I have a photography tab:
      But as for specific set ups, I don’t really have a place or set up… I live in a very dark house, and I have to chase the light!

33. I love making simple recipes! It’s fun making longer recipes on lazy weekend days, but I generally stick to short and sweet recipes! :) I’ll have to try this one out soon :)

34. Chelsea says:

My husband and I hate coconut. Can you think of something that would work in this and other recipe to replace it? Maybe crisped rice or TVP? Thanks! :)

1. anonymous says:

If you go to her nutrition facts link, it says you should make a different recipe. And she’s linked all of her fudge baby recipes on that page. My favorites are the pb cookie dough ones ;).

1. Chelsea says:

Yes, I saw that, but it only mentions coconut butter and not coconut. I’ve had the pb cookie cough balls – so yummy! :)

2. Emma says:

It says the coconut is optional. I didn’t use it in mine, and they were still awesome!

3. Chelsea says:

Great, thanks!

35. Miss b says:

Yummy can’t wait to try
    You should write à cookbook

1. L. says:

Agree! I know you’re working on one. Work faster!!! 😉

36. L. says:

These are delicious! Who knew something so simple could taste so great? Love you, CCK!

37. I love the taste of coconut butter but eating it off the spoon just doesn’t do it for me! It’s just a bit too thin :)
    These look awesome! Maybe that’s what I’ll use my expensive little jar for..

38. Olivia says:

Please don’t take this the wrong way when I make this comment.
    I was really eager to make this recipe since I haven’t been able to tolerate nuts for awhile. And since it’s National Truffle Day, I thought it was the perfect time to make them. So I got out my food processor, dates, and coconut butter. But when I finished blending it all together, the finished product tasted… well….. kind of boring. So I added some vanilla extract and sunflower seed butter and presto! I had some delicious date/sunflower seed butter truffles!
    They would be even better with chocolate (unfortunately, my dietary needs have forced me to eliminate chocolate from my diet ): ).
    Oh, I also prefer shorter recipes just because longer ones are a little more time consuming. Keep up the good recipe making! I’ll check back soon for more chocolate covered recipes! 😉

1. Emma says:

Really? Different tastes I guess haha. I LOVED them!

39. Moni Meals says:

so fantastic! Yum.

Oh it has to be simple and quick. That is the only way I make my recipes and others too. :)

40. Emma says:

Just made these (after I got back from the grocery store to buy dates), and they’re like candy! I keep going back to the fridge for *just one more*.

Anyone reaading this: Make these, but be warned that they’re addictive ;).

1. Emma says:

41. Kelly says:

Yum! Your blog could keep me busy for like 854,983 hours with all the delicious recipes and pictures! I’ll def. be trying some things for healthier treats once in a while! :) Off to subscribe right away! :)

42. Ann says:

I consider myself relatively well versed in obscure ingredients, but I don’t believe I’ve seen coconut butter anywhere aside from Katie’s recipes. Can I get this at a natural foods store, or would I need to order online? I’ll have to embark on a coconut butter hunt soon!

1. Samantha says:

Where I live (Seattle area, WA state) coconut butter isn’t found in the main stores from what I have seen. Even in the health/specialized stores it is a bit of a challenge. At Whole Foods in Bellevue I only found Coconut Manna, which I then had to read the label to make sure it was the same thing.

Coconut oil on the other hand I usually see several brands.

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Email and they’ll tell you what stores in your area carry it! Or make your own!

2. Olivia says:

I got my coconut butter from Whole Foods. That’s in Indiana, however. I also find coconut butter really expensive, so I would save the many and make coconut butter from shredded coconut like Katie suggests.

1. Olivia says:

43. Anna says:

I *only* make quick and simple recipes. Love this one! Will be sharing :)

44. Tanya Mize says:

When you say coconut butter, do you mean coconut oil? Or is there something different that I’m missing?

1. Alanna says:

Definitely butter, not oil… I saw a bunch of sites claiming they are the same thing (just called butter when solid, below 78 degrees F, and oil when liquid) but this link does a better job of explaining:

45. Katie, these look wonderful! I love all your “ball” recipes, including those yummy fudge babies of yours! I’m looking forward to that no bake tab. for a gal who’s blog is named “baking addiction”… i kinda like those no bake, effortless recipes every so often 😉

46. Alanna says:

I love easy recipes! I really enjoy cooking and baking, and will happily spend more time in the kitchen on a weekend or for special occasions, but during the week I get home late and I want something I can make (and eat) quickly. For a long time that meant lots of cold cereal, sandwiches, canned soup, and pasta, but CCK has inspired me to eat better and given me the confidence to ad lib when I don’t have exactly the right ingredients. (I’m a decent cook, but I think it’s just because I’m good at following instructions since I lack the creativity to come up with new recipes.) I have an ever-growing list of coconut butter recipes that I need to try once I finally buy some! Maybe I’ll drop hints for my birthday in a few weeks… I’m always telling my mom to get edible gifts since I have too many belongings. 😉

1. Together, we would make the perfect cooking team! I’m good at making things up, but I’m terrible at following a recipe :(

1. Alanna says:

I love it! You can sit and tell me to make whatever wonderful concoction pops into your head, and as long as I get to taste-test, I’ll happily follow your instructions. :)

47. Steph says:

“I like my women like you like your recipes”

Haha why did I think of that?

48. Jessica says:

Just made these! I added a tablespoon of crunch peanut butter for some texture and flavor, then stuck them in the fridge so they could firm up a bit. They were delicious!

49. Love it! Couldn’t get any easier. And I do love me some dates!

50. That looks great! Katie, I love your website. Those cookie dough balls are so creative.

51. Juliana says:

I would definitely prefer making something more challenged: with elaborate decorations and a lot of effort. But unfortunately, my family prefers more basic, chocolaty things (and, I’m sorry, I can’t eat chocolate D:), so I usually make our family recipe for Chocolate No-Bakes over the stove. It’s been a family favorite for years!
    It’s too bad I couldn’t get some job helping in a bakery of some sort while I’m in high school.

52. LizAshlee says:

Yum yum yum! I luv energy balls like funny-last night I mixed a bit of honey with coconut oil and put it on a good!

53. these look really good!! i need to experiment eating dates…theyre good for you, and can replace oil/butter all that fun stuff!! thanks for the recipe

54. mag says:

has anyone found packaged dates that have no nut cross contamination warning? we have nut allergies in the house and every time i look for dates, they have a nut allergy warning label.

1. I haven’t… but I wonder if raisins are easier to find without nut contamination? If so, maybe you could try substituting those?

55. I made three cookie balls this week, and I am addicted to them. Now I have to make yours! I love balls!

56. Ruth says:

Definitely a fan of simple recipes, especially the no bake ones. Since I am gluten free and sugar free (I use agave syrup, which is technically a sugar but my body tolerates it) and gluten free baking is expensive and usually annoys me. I KNOW I saw sunmaid dates somewhere, I just can’t remember where. Maybe in Superstore, which is basically a Canadian version of Walmart.

57. awesome recipe katie! I love how i have everything on hand!

58. Emma says:

Actually, I enjoy long, tedious recipies. For me, the fun is in making it, and eating it afterwards is just a bonus!

59. These remind me of your fudge Babies- those things are a staple in our house!

I need to get a better technique for the dates though… I use a hand blender and it all gets a bit messy and sticky! But at least it’s a delicous mess 😉

60. Liz says:

yum! i love quick recipes! :)

61. Karen says:

So so good! I can’t stop eating them, Katie! HELP!

1. Karen says:

Gonna have to make another batch!

62. Jessica says:

YUM!! You should add a link to this recipe on your Fudge Baby Mania page! :)

63. jen bargnesi says:

I really want to make these, like right now but all I could find was coconut oil. The people at Trader Joe’s market said I could use the coconut oil and coconut butter interchangably, true or false?

1. Sorry, Trader Joe people are wrong :(.
      They’re two very different products with very different textures. You might get something yummy, but it won’t be the same.

64. jen says:

Can you make this with coconut oil instead of coconut butter?

1. Alanna says:

See Katie’s answer above and here:

You can try with oil, but it probably won’t turn out the same.

65. I’m such a date fan. I would love these! :)

66. Mary says:

Great cookies!!!!!!!

67. KellyD says:

These taste just like Samoas!! My husband loves them :)

68. Shannon says:

I was not prepared for how good these were going to be. Added shredded coconut AND dark chocolate mini chips. Satisfies all cravings known to man.

69. krystal says:

Sound so yummmy! Can they be frozen? I’m due in about 10 weeks & want to have as many healthy snack options on hand so I don’t end up binging on snicker bars. =)

70. Jen B says:

Hi Katie!
    I love your blog so much! A friend introduced it to me a few months ago when she brought this recipe to a party. Ever since then I can’t get enough! I have been making at least one recipe a week and have never eaten more chocolate or been healthier in my life! Thank you for coming up with so many amazingly healthy and delicious recipes! You have an amazing talent! Even my husband can’t believe how delicious a healthy recipe can be!
    Thank you!!

71. Jennifer says:

Hi, Katie!
    Love these cookies. A question about “serving size.” You mention making 12g balls. I don’t have anything to reference that with. About how large a cookie is 12g? Half an inch? Smaller?
    Thanks! I enjoy trying your recipes!

72. is the coconut and date cookie dough balls ok for diabetics . thank you

73. is the coconut and date cookie dough balls ok for diabetics

74. Mandy says:

Mmmmm….. that looks so good! I love coconut and I have sweet tooth. Definitely will try out this receipe. Thanks for sharing!

75. Bec says:

Hi :) This may be a silly question but are the dates in the recipe dried dates or fresh? Thanks :)

76. Sarah says:

These are soooooooooooo good!

77. Daniel says:

“two ingredient” cookie dough balls

78. Ann says:

Totally confused!
    I successfully made coconut butter. Yeah! I used same brand/kind you used and it worked out great.
    Then I attempted the coconut cookie dough balls. I doubled the batch because I used my Vita-Mix. I added a little extra coconut flakes and about 10-12 raw almonds because I think everything is better with nuts. Blended them for a bit.
    They turned out extremely greasy. Oil was RUNNING off my fingers. I couldn’t believe it. Was it the almonds? Or is it the coconut butter really that greasy. So confused.
    Help. Thanks!

79. Cathy says:

A couples hours after my first post……One double batch of Chocolate Larabars……..which is too big for my food processor. I had a sticky–chocolate mess and had to divide it up. But alas. They taste great. Instead of adding any water to get it a bit thinner I added some fresh frozen cherries.
    Then I made your Oatmeal Raisin Larabars. Your chocolate dilemma is solved when you make this batch in the same container as the chocolate larabars. Wah-la Chocolate Oatmeal Raisin Larabars. I added 3 drops of dark rum. Its heavenly!! :)

80. john Coffer says:

Hey Ms
    ..for this recipe…can’t we just dunk these cute little date-coconut only x2 ingredients into local artisan melted dark chocolate to complete your recipe?? The don’t need coconut sugar as they are already sweet enough withe dates. Ultimate but Awesome truffle from C.C.K!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Sure! Sounds good!

81. Beth Saunders says:

Breakfast!!! These coconut cookie babies were amazing!! I am SOOO thankful for your healthy dessert website!

82. Beatriz Rudisill says:

I absolutely love all of your healthy and tasty recipes, I have made a lot of them they are delicious particularly the black bean brownies, cheese less cheesecake with greek yougurt. Thank you sooo much for sharing these lovely recipes with the rest of us God bless and I really appreciate you!!

83. Erica says:

What did I do wrong? I doubled the recipe and added shredded coconut and a tiny bit of mini chocolate chips. It wasn’t sticky and holding form. It just crumbled when I tried working with it.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Just add a tbsp water. Sounds like your dates are dry.

84. Rachel R. says:

Looks like someone stole your picture and didn’t leave you a link:

(I am assuming they didn’t get permission from the bloggers whose pictures they used, because of the no-link thing. I can’t imagine 34 bloggers being cool with that.)

1. Looks like they plagiarized the entire post from Buzzfeed. Very sad… stuff like this unfortunately happens all the time.

1. Rachel R. says:

I know. :( I have a pretty low tolerance, though, for blogs that only post other people’s content, so they can make money off it. :/