Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream

oatmeal cookie ice cream

It’s the comfort food of ice cream – Like a warm oatmeal cookie, straight out of the oven, splashed with milk and dusted with cinnamon sweetness. Imagine your favorite cookie churned into sweet, creamy ice cream and scooped high onto a cone. Your tastebuds say “oatmeal cookie,” but your eyes will know better.

Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream!

oatmeal ice cream

Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream

(gluten-free!)

Inspired by my trip to Lula’s

• 2 2/3 cups milk of choice, or creamer (640g)
  • 1/3 cup oat flour (45g) (If you don’t have oat flour, just grind rolled oats to powder in a blender. Measure after blending.)
  • *just* under level 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda (for flavor; can be omitted)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup raisins (45g)
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar (Date sugar would probably work too.) (80g)
  • 2 nunaturals stevia packets, or 1/16 tsp uncut (or omit and add 3 extra tbsp sugar)
  • 2 tbsp “butter” of choice, such as Earth Balance or Smart Balance Light (See nutrition link below, for all substitution notes on this recipe)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients except vanilla (Do include the raisins), and whisk until smooth. Microwave 3 1/2 minutes, whisk again, then microwave another 2 minutes. (Or you can heat on the stovetop, stirring occasionally, until it thickens.) Add the vanilla, then chill in the fridge until the mixture is cold again (about 4 hours). See “nutrition info” link below if you don’t have an ice cream maker. Otherwise, pour into your ice cream maker and churn. (It took 15 minutes in my Cuisinart.) Transfer to an airtight container, and chill in the freezer for an hour or so, until true ice-cream consistency is reached.

View Ice Cream Nutrition Facts

oatmeal cookie ice cream

Vote: Chocolate Chip or Oatmeal Raisin??

For cookies, I’d probably go with chocolate-chip. But I might like this oatmeal-raisin ice cream even better than cookie dough ice cream. It’s that good.

LINK OF THE DAY:

mini vegan cheesecakes

Mini Cheesecake Bites

Today is National Cheesecake Day!

Tags: , , ,

1. JEnny says:

I am a converted oatmeal raisin, after being and alway-chocolat-girll for manny years

1. I’m definitely on Team Oatmeal Raisin!

1. Team oatmeal raisin… I join in!

2. Susan says:

I love oatmeal raisin too! Buuuuut…..i do chocolate covered raisins…the best of both worlds!

2. Ashley says:

I was always the strange child who preferred oatmeal raisin cookies to chocolate chip…unless they were fresh out of the often or chocolate chocolate chip 😉 O and the WW points aren’t on your nutritional info! Thought you might want to know 😉 Oh and this looks amazing btw!

1. Thanks for letting me know I forgot it. Fixed!
      (It’s 2 points)

3. Emma says:

This sounds delish. Love oatmeal raisin cookies..yep more than choc-chip!

4. Brittany says:

What’s the consistency like if you don’t have an ice cream maker?

1. Hi Brittany,
      Read the “nutrition info” link for all the details about what to do and how it works if you don’t have a machine.

5. Gabby says:

Looks delicious! Katie, do you have any (vegan-friendly) restaurant recommendations for an upcoming trip to Boston? I googled it and think that “Peace O’ Pie” Pizza and “Veggie Galaxy” look awesome but I was just wondering if you’d been to anywhere memorable? Thanks!

1. Jen says:

Gabby…Peace O Pie is okay…I was there last night. I like Prana Cafe in Newton and Life Alive in Central Square is my all time favorite! I’m from Boston and Vegan…

2. Diana says:

VEGGIE PLANET IN HARVARD SQUARE. <3 <3 <3 <3

3. Gabby says:

Thanks so much ladies!!

1. I’ve actually only been once since starting the blog: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2007/10/26/more-of-boston/
        Warning: it’s a very old post ;).

So I don’t know of much in Boston. Considering my sister lives there, I really should get my butt up there to visit!

1. Sophie says:

The Red Lentil in Watertown has some really nice vegan dishes. It’s a bit fancier than your average cafe, though.

6. Oatmeal must be on the brain! I posted an Oatmeal Cookie Dough Shake last week. Have you ever added a little nooch to these? It gave a nice little nutty taste to my shake. 🙂

7. Chocolate chip all the way! Although I have a total weakness for oatmeal >.<

8. Sarah says:

I was actually going to attempt this myself using your cookie dough recipe as a base!! I’ve said it a million times and I will say it again… you are a mind reader!!!

9. Jen says:

10. Oatmeal cookies are my favorite, so this sounds good to me! Ahhh so tempting to get an ice cream maker!

11. Hannah says:

Since you mention on the nutritional info page that you haven’t tried xylitol as a sugar substitute in ice cream, I just thought I’d let anyone who’s curious know that I make ice cream with xylitol all the time, and it works really well for me. However, I only add 1 heaped teaspoon per cup of liquid, as I don’t like very sweet ice cream. Don’t actually know how much sweeter it is than sugar as I’ve never compared, but for anyone trying it for the first time I’d say use less than you would if using sugar. Also, it probably doesn’t make a difference in terms of using xylitol but I should mention that make non-vegan ice cream with full fat (40%) whipping cream and egg yolks, and beat the xylitol together with the yolks until it dissolves – but I can’t imagine it wouldn’t work fine in non-dairy ice cream too.

12. Emily says:

I prefer oatmeal chocolate chip! I find raisins to be the grossest food in the world.

13. Lauren says:

Oh man….both flavors are so good, but (and I know I’m in the minority on this), but oatmeal raisin!

14. Ina says:

This looks so good. I cannot wait to make it!

15. If its a warm fresh cookie… chocolate chip cookie all the way! If older oatmeal raisin it is. 🙂 I’m excited to try this because it reminds me of an oatmeal cookie batter ice cream I once tried. YUM!

16. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

So… guess what? I just finished a weeklong challenge- of doing one of your recipes each day!
    Only one I had made before; all the rest are new to me (though some are kinda back there in the archives) Here are the ones I tried ( in order) and what I (and the fam) thought:

Cake Batter Shake: REALLY GOOD!!! while it wasn’t like drinking cake batter there was some of that flavor.
    Choco Cake Batter Shake: Also REALLY GOOD!!! while it was more of just a chocolate shake, i loved it!
    Carrot Cake Shake: Probably my fave of the bunch of shakes! mmm…
    Cake Batter Dip:my family eats this like there’s no tomorrow. ‘ Nuff said.
    Sugar Cookie Milkshake: My brother loved this so much (he’s such a cookie boy!) And he’s a really picky one too.
    And finally… the Cookie dough ice cream: So we made this on Saturday… and… BRAVO KATIE! Hands down the best healthy ice creams I’ve ever made. We all devoured it! And it was super simple and between me doing the base and my sis making the dough took less than 10 minutes! We have all decided to make it a staple for our family movie nights 🙂
    My only little problem was that, following the recipe exactly, It made very little for my family of 8. And looked tiny in the 2 qt. ice cream maker bowl.
    Today: we’re making the oatmeal ice cream!!! off to make it now, but before I go, how much would I have to increase the ingredients to get around 2qts? thanks!
    p.s.- My family would like to say thanks for the guiltless sweet treats. We are a happy bunch, I tell ya 🙂

1. Sarah, your comment made me smile so much. I’m always so happy when people actually try the recipes!
      I’ve never made a larger serving of the ice cream… I don’t think my machine would hold more than 1 1/2 quarts. But I saw your newer comment that you already made it, so I guess you wouldn’t need my answer anyway. 🙂

1. Michele says:

Where can I find the Cookie Dough ice cream recipe? I searched but I don’t see it. Thanks!

1. Michele says:

Thank you Katie! 🙂

17. Mmm this sounds so good! I think I need to finally buy an ice cream maker! I’m not big on raisins but I bet this would also taste delicious with some walnuts or pecans for a little crunch… even better if they were chocolate covered 😉

18. Megan says:

When I clicked and saw the title of this, my eyes got as big as saucers. Saucers that go with VERY LARGE ice cream bowls.

19. Maša says:

oatmeal raisin!

I LOVE that you include substitution info in your recipes.

20. Cerissa says:

Wow! YUM! Cannot wait to try this in a no-sugar version!
    By the way, I just picked up a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker at Costco for only $25 for anyone looking for one! I believe it is the same 1 1/2 quart version you have, Katie.