Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Chocolate Monkey Peanut Butter Bites

Chocolate Monkey Bites

This is one of those recipes…

One of those recipes that’s impossible to stop eating until every last chocolate bite has disappeared. Rich dark chocolate, complemented by creamy banana filling…

I made two batches (for five of us who were watching the Olympics last night). One batch was just banana and a second batch was peanut butter banana, where I blended a big spoonful of crunchy peanut butter into the filling.

There were no leftovers.

homemade pb cups

Monkey See Monkey… Eat

The summer after I finished third grade, my family took a trip to Vermont and stopped at the Ben & Jerry’s factory to see how ice cream is made. (I think that same summer, we visited a brewery and got to see how beer is made. It was a very educational summer for me!)

After touring the factory came the best part: sampling ice cream. We tried chocolate, we tried Cherry Garcia, and finally we tried their #1 seller, Chunky Monkey. I decided this flavor was my favorite, mostly because I thought the name was funny. The tour guide then informed us that this particular product had a different name in Japan; it was simply called Banana Nut. Apparently, if you try to translate the name to Japanese, you get “Chunks of Monkey.”

Ever since that trip, whenever I see anything chocolate-and-banana flavored, my mind automatically thinks of chunks of monkey.

So… who’s hungry now? Winking smile

Chocolate Monkey Bites

• 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
  • 20-30 nunaturals vanilla stevia drops (or 3-4 tbsp liquid sweetener, such as agave)
  • 1/2 a banana (see “nutrition info” link below for all substitution notes in this recipe)
  • tiny pinch salt
  • optional: 1-2 tbsp peanut butter (or pb2, or another nut butter)

Combine first three ingredients in a bowl and stir until it makes a chocolate sauce. Pour a little of the sauce (saving the rest for later) into the bottoms of cupcake liners, mini cupcake liners, or candy molds. Then freeze 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, blend (or mash and stir with a fork) the banana, salt, and optional ingredients. Take liners out of the freezer and top each with banana mixture. Now evenly distribute the rest of the chocolate and re-freeze until solid. This recipe makes 9-10 mini cups (as shown in the photos).

View Monkey Bites Nutrition Facts

chocolate banana bites

Link of the Day:

peanut-butter-and-jelly-bread_thumb_3

….Peanut Butter Sandwich Bread

1. “Chunks of monkey” ——–> Seriously, too funny!

2. Oh why do you do this to me!?!?

3. Teresa says:

When I lived in Germany one of my favorite treats from the holiday market was chocolate-covered apples, yes, whole apples on a stick dipped in yummy bittersweet chocolate. The chocolate-covered fruit kebabs were good too. But the apples were amazing; crunchy and juicy with chocolate that melted quickly in your mouth.

Hmm, my favorite chocolates in a mixed box are always the fruit cream ones. So really, any fruit-filled chocolate cup would probably be amazing. My second choice would be for caramel – the melty kind like in Cabury caramel eggs or Caramello bars.

Or you could stick with a recurring theme and do cookie dough chocolate cups. Those sound really yummy too.

1. tiffany says:

ohh i love making the fruit creme chocolates at christmas. my family always loves the cherry ones the best. they’re not really healthy at all but maybe cck could do something to make them a bit better. the filling is almost like a flavoured butter cream icing but a bit firmer. maybe a fruit flavoured creamy tofu version would work well? you could either use real cherries or maybe the cherry flavouring instead.

2. A caramel cup sounds great! Katie, didn’t you want to recreate that caramel sauce from your vacation in NY anyway? That would be great in chocolate cups!!!

4. WOW. Chocolate and coconut is a dynamit combo. I am absolutely trying this. Thanks for the fun recipe that doesn’t require the oven :)

5. hmmm, probably peanut butter, but with something mixed in, like bits of marshmallow, or dried raspberries, strawberries or bananas!

6. These look AMAZING! And they’re pretty healthy too! Thanks so much for posting. I’ll have to try this out!

7. Rachel says:

this combo sounds amazing! I love chocolate and strawberries :)

8. Sara says:

It won’t let me see the nutrition.

9. Elzie says:

Um….. You could do double chocolate…. except I think you could not keep the chocolate inside melted when you froze it 😛 Have you every thought about trying to put ice-cream in it??

1. Kelly says:

omggggg ice cream inside?! Epic idea.

10. Nikki says:

Since I love chocolate covered strawberries, I would love a strawberry chocolate cup! (I don’t think you could use peanut butter . . . but macadamia nut or cashew butter, perhaps?)

1. Kate says:

I just made these with raspberries – just smashed up raspberries with no nut butter. They were lovely just as they were.

1. Anonymous says:

Strawberries and yogurt inside!

11. These look great! I think a nutella filling would be delicious. :) Lots of chocolate flavor in that one! :)

1. Madeline says:

I agree too!

12. kate says:

Oohhh, Nutella Peanut Butter Cups!!

1. Laura Miller says:

I also vote for this one ^!!! Nutella+peanut butter= my life

1. Sarah L says:

Me too! Would be so amazingly awesome

13. Melissa George says:

Well great…I’m trying to go through all of my recipes on Pinterest and actually make some of them now I have to add another one! But this one I’m making right now! This will definitely be a family favorite! Thanks. Seriously, thank you!!!

Chunks of monkeys!?! Hilarious and nauseating all at the same time!

14. These look so good and so easy to make!

15. Rebeka says:

The “chunks of monkey” translation made me laugh out loud! So funny. Thank you for sharing that antidote!

Also, I wish I had a friend who made homemade snacks like these for Olympic watching friend time! So fun!

16. Deanaa says:

Cookie dough cups, hands down winner. Vanilla cupcake cups come in close second, with lemon creme cups finishing at third(;

How was NY, what was the best café there?

1. I couldn’t pick one “best.”
      Although Lula’s was definitely the best place I visited ;).

2. Cathy says:

I second all of your suggestions!!!!! cookie dough, vanilla cupcakes, lemon creme? YUM!!

17. Sophie Rae says:

dying to try these! just a heads up, the nutrition link is broken!

18. Dawn says:

Maybe something totally different like Mango? or Pineapple?

I make your chocolate bars at least once a week and I just love it, so I know I will love this recipe too!

19. Oh yeah I could seriously jump on board this bandwagon. Even better when I have all the ingredients on hand!

I’d love a chocolate covered strawberry cup. There’s no peanut butter so I don’t know if that counts, but a chocolate cup with flavorful strawberry oozing out when you bite into it sounds like the epitome of fantastic!

20. Cat says:

Please make a caramel filled one !!!!!

21. Laura Miller says:

How about, a cookie dough cup? Or a pb cookie dough cup? 😀

Or, ooohh, make a mint one! Walmart used to have these mint cups that were sooo good and soooo addictive. But all of a sudden they disappeared. We joked that they had drugs in them. 😛 So yeah, if you could recreate them in a vegan/healthier version, I would be your best friend for life.

1. bob says:

I second the vote of mint!

2. Alanna says:

Ooh, how did I forget about mint?? Best flavor combo ever. I found this when I was looking for a different recipe — should also work here as a mint filling!

22. Liz says:

How about Nutella peanut butter cups? yummm!!!!

And FYI- the nutrition link isn’t working for me, either.

23. Erica says:

It’s really exciting to make your own chocolate. I’ve made those pretend reese’s eggs numerous times since easter…they are just so delicious!

I’m a peanut butter purist I think, because peanut butter in chocolate it enough for me!

24. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Caramel. And cookies and cream. and strawberry. and caramel.

25. Linda says:

In the unlikely event of leftovers, would these need to be stored in the fridge/freezer, or would they keep a few days at room temp?

1. Linda says:

Thanks!

2. I guess it would keep like two days in the fridge, too?
        I guess I wouldn’t like to eat these straight from the freezer! =/

26. Megan says:

I love incorporating protein powder into your recipes. I recently did a chunky monkey protein bar that was to die for.

1. I was definitely thinking about blending protein powder in with the banana. Might have to try that… chocolate protein powder, of course :).

27. Tamara says:

peanut butter and maple syrup cups! or the classic peanut butter and jelly could taste wonderful with a chocolatey coating. and although it wouldn’t be my first choice, just throwing something random out there – oatmeal filled cups?

28. I almost don’t want to make these because I know I’ll eat the whole batch being home alone… dangerous. I think a S’more peanut butter cup would be awesome! I love putting peanut butter on my s’mores so a portable bite sized peanut butter s’more would be pure heaven. YUM!

29. Rachel P. says:

I love to make PB&J cups. I picked up some chipotle raspberry jelly at the farmers market and when you mix that with crunchy PB and dark chocolate…unbeatable

1. Laura M says:

This sounds absolutely amazing! What a great idea!

30. Erica says:

PB&J cups!! Or white chocolate/macadamia/coconut.

31. Erin says:

Peanut butter chai? I wonder how that would taste. I was going to say green tea, but the pb would definitely overwhelm the green tea. Now I want to try some sort of chocolate-green tea cup :) maybe something like coconut butter mixed with matcha inside of a chocolate cup?

1. White chocolate and green tea should work. Not too overwhelming…

32. These look good, healthy and easy!! Love how you used coconut oil, i also love using it in desserts.

33. Janet says:

This looks so good and so easy! Other ideas for a filling? The ones mentioned by others here all sound good. Some of my favorite ideas: Nutella, lemon or orange cream, cake (regular/pound cake/cheesecake, etc), peanut butter and jelly, trail mix (dried fruit and nuts/seeds), mint, ice cream (any and all flavors), fresh fruits, …the list keeps going. Really, anything that tastes good with chocolate is fair game.

1. bob says:

Any kind of citrus cream sounds good to me, but you’ve still got me thinking about a cheesecake one…an hour later! I do miss cheesecake.

34. Deanna says:

I’ll jump on the peanut butter cookie dough bandwagon, but I think it would be an awesome twist if you made it a cinnamon raisin peanut butter cookie dough filling. Yum. I LOVE cinnamon :)

35. I always LOVE your posts. They are always so creative and funny. :)

To this day, I still can’t find a raw or vegan version of white chocolate. I think it would be AMAZING if there was a raw/vegan version (or maybe just vegan) of white chocolate peanut butter cups!

What would be even tastier is a white chocolate sunflower seed butter cup! Oh, ideas are swirling through my head right now!!

(P.S. pick my idea! Pretty please? It’s definitely a fun challenge for you to try!)

36. Vanessa says:

Coconut filling!
    Or almond paste,
    Or pecan and caramel!
    I can’t choose just one!

37. carolyn says:

COOKIE DOUGH PB CUPS WOULD MAKE MY LIFE.

38. No better flavor combo than banana, chocolate and PB!! A pretzel PB cup would be pretty delicious too!

1. Alanna says:

Omg, YES on the PB pretzel idea!!

39. Kristia says:

YUM!! looks delicious!! Will have to try soon!!

40. Samantha D. says:

Coconut butter or your version of Nutella..or cheesecake…or oreo..or PRETZEL..or a cake bite..or something minty…the possibilities are endless..

41. Kate says:

just finished up my take on a “mocha” monkey bite…”icecream” made from frozen banana, instant coffee crystals and cocoa powder. Inside the chocolate. Best thing I’ve had in a long while…trying to ignore the remainder of the batch in the freezer…Thanks, Katie!!!!

42. jenica says:

Those photos are gorgeous. I expected these to be filled with coconut though! I bet a peanut butter coconut cup would be an amazing duo.

43. Camille says:

lol at chunks of monkey…
    as for a peanut butter cup flavor…i think a good filling would be Peanut Butter & Co.’s White Chocolate Wonderful

44. Anna Banana says:

I think I want to make these with raspberry filling. That would be pretty intense.

You should make gingerbread peanut butter cups! Or any flavor, really. I’m pretty convinced everything you make is magic.

1. bob says:

Ooh, gingerbread peanut butter sounds good!

45. I like the Nutella, cookie dough, and caramel ideas that other people suggested! :)

46. Adrienne says:

Trader Joes Cookie Butter! Omg it’s KILLER!!!

47. Gail Elise says:

This seems like the kind of recipe that I would make and no one would no about it because I would eat them all. Probably a bad idea =/

48. Ruth-Wenche Gransjoen says:

I make something similar for Christmas with rice pufs, maybe not the healthiest, but virgin coconut oil and raw chocolat is, now I will try your banana and nut cups Thank you.

49. Laura M says:

How about a smores pb cup?
    Or one with almond butter and cherry?