Chocolate Monkey Peanut Butter Bites

Chocolate Monkey Bites

This is one of those recipes…

One of those recipes that’s impossible to stop eating until every last chocolate bite has disappeared. Rich dark chocolate, complemented by creamy banana filling…

I made two batches (for five of us who were watching the Olympics last night). One batch was just banana and a second batch was peanut butter banana, where I blended a big spoonful of crunchy peanut butter into the filling.

There were no leftovers.

homemade pb cups

Monkey See Monkey… Eat

The summer after I finished third grade, my family took a trip to Vermont and stopped at the Ben & Jerry’s factory to see how ice cream is made. (I think that same summer, we visited a brewery and got to see how beer is made. It was a very educational summer for me!)

After touring the factory came the best part: sampling ice cream. We tried chocolate, we tried Cherry Garcia, and finally we tried their #1 seller, Chunky Monkey. I decided this flavor was my favorite, mostly because I thought the name was funny. The tour guide then informed us that this particular product had a different name in Japan; it was simply called Banana Nut. Apparently, if you try to translate the name to Japanese, you get “Chunks of Monkey.”

Ever since that trip, whenever I see anything chocolate-and-banana flavored, my mind automatically thinks of chunks of monkey.

So… who’s hungry now? Winking smile

Chocolate Monkey Bites

• 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
  • 20-30 nunaturals vanilla stevia drops (or 3-4 tbsp liquid sweetener, such as agave)
  • 1/2 a banana (see “nutrition info” link below for all substitution notes in this recipe)
  • tiny pinch salt
  • optional: 1-2 tbsp peanut butter (or pb2, or another nut butter)

Combine first three ingredients in a bowl and stir until it makes a chocolate sauce. Pour a little of the sauce (saving the rest for later) into the bottoms of cupcake liners, mini cupcake liners, or candy molds. Then freeze 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, blend (or mash and stir with a fork) the banana, salt, and optional ingredients. Take liners out of the freezer and top each with banana mixture. Now evenly distribute the rest of the chocolate and re-freeze until solid. This recipe makes 9-10 mini cups (as shown in the photos).

View Monkey Bites Nutrition Facts

chocolate banana bites

Link of the Day:

peanut-butter-and-jelly-bread_thumb_3

….Peanut Butter Sandwich Bread

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. “Chunks of monkey” ——–> Seriously, too funny!

2. Oh why do you do this to me!?!?

3. Teresa says:

When I lived in Germany one of my favorite treats from the holiday market was chocolate-covered apples, yes, whole apples on a stick dipped in yummy bittersweet chocolate. The chocolate-covered fruit kebabs were good too. But the apples were amazing; crunchy and juicy with chocolate that melted quickly in your mouth.

Hmm, my favorite chocolates in a mixed box are always the fruit cream ones. So really, any fruit-filled chocolate cup would probably be amazing. My second choice would be for caramel – the melty kind like in Cabury caramel eggs or Caramello bars.

Or you could stick with a recurring theme and do cookie dough chocolate cups. Those sound really yummy too.

1. tiffany says:

ohh i love making the fruit creme chocolates at christmas. my family always loves the cherry ones the best. they’re not really healthy at all but maybe cck could do something to make them a bit better. the filling is almost like a flavoured butter cream icing but a bit firmer. maybe a fruit flavoured creamy tofu version would work well? you could either use real cherries or maybe the cherry flavouring instead.

2. A caramel cup sounds great! Katie, didn’t you want to recreate that caramel sauce from your vacation in NY anyway? That would be great in chocolate cups!!!

4. WOW. Chocolate and coconut is a dynamit combo. I am absolutely trying this. Thanks for the fun recipe that doesn’t require the oven :)

5. hmmm, probably peanut butter, but with something mixed in, like bits of marshmallow, or dried raspberries, strawberries or bananas!

6. These look AMAZING! And they’re pretty healthy too! Thanks so much for posting. I’ll have to try this out!

7. Rachel says:

this combo sounds amazing! I love chocolate and strawberries :)

8. Sara says:

It won’t let me see the nutrition.

9. Elzie says:

Um….. You could do double chocolate…. except I think you could not keep the chocolate inside melted when you froze it 😛 Have you every thought about trying to put ice-cream in it??

1. Kelly says:

omggggg ice cream inside?! Epic idea.

10. Nikki says:

Since I love chocolate covered strawberries, I would love a strawberry chocolate cup! (I don’t think you could use peanut butter . . . but macadamia nut or cashew butter, perhaps?)

1. Kate says:

I just made these with raspberries – just smashed up raspberries with no nut butter. They were lovely just as they were.

1. Anonymous says:

Strawberries and yogurt inside!

11. These look great! I think a nutella filling would be delicious. :) Lots of chocolate flavor in that one! :)

1. Madeline says:

I agree too!

12. kate says:

Oohhh, Nutella Peanut Butter Cups!!

1. Laura Miller says:

I also vote for this one ^!!! Nutella+peanut butter= my life

1. Sarah L says:

Me too! Would be so amazingly awesome

13. Melissa George says:

Well great…I’m trying to go through all of my recipes on Pinterest and actually make some of them now I have to add another one! But this one I’m making right now! This will definitely be a family favorite! Thanks. Seriously, thank you!!!

Chunks of monkeys!?! Hilarious and nauseating all at the same time!

14. These look so good and so easy to make!

15. Rebeka says:

The “chunks of monkey” translation made me laugh out loud! So funny. Thank you for sharing that antidote!

Also, I wish I had a friend who made homemade snacks like these for Olympic watching friend time! So fun!

16. Deanaa says:

Cookie dough cups, hands down winner. Vanilla cupcake cups come in close second, with lemon creme cups finishing at third(;

How was NY, what was the best café there?

1. I couldn’t pick one “best.”
      Although Lula’s was definitely the best place I visited ;).

2. Cathy says:

I second all of your suggestions!!!!! cookie dough, vanilla cupcakes, lemon creme? YUM!!

17. Sophie Rae says:

dying to try these! just a heads up, the nutrition link is broken!

18. Dawn says:

Maybe something totally different like Mango? or Pineapple?

I make your chocolate bars at least once a week and I just love it, so I know I will love this recipe too!

19. Oh yeah I could seriously jump on board this bandwagon. Even better when I have all the ingredients on hand!

I’d love a chocolate covered strawberry cup. There’s no peanut butter so I don’t know if that counts, but a chocolate cup with flavorful strawberry oozing out when you bite into it sounds like the epitome of fantastic!

20. Cat says:

Please make a caramel filled one !!!!!