Healthier Wendy’s Vanilla Frosty

This recipe tastes similar to a Wendy’s vanilla Frosty.

Just 50 calories for a HUGE serving + high in protein – thick & creamy vanilla frosty, completely free of artificial ingredients, corn syrup, protein powder, and can be sugar-free. Full recipe here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/08/22/healthier-wendys-vanilla-frosty/

It’s like one of those thick vanilla milkshakes you’d find at a fast-food restaurant… but without all the empty calories and sugar to make you feel sluggish. The recipe actually came about by accident: I was working on a Tiramisu ice cream, and when I stopped to sample the unfinished mixture at one point, I discovered it tasted astoundingly like a real vanilla milkshake. Then, when my roommate came home from work and tried it, she proclaimed:

Holy crickets, it’s like a Wendy’s vanilla frosty!

Except, she didn’t really say “holy crickets” because, honestly, who talks like that? Holy crickets is just the PG version of her comment. In any case, I scrapped all plans for Tiramisu ice cream, and we poured ourselves ice-cold vanilla frosties instead.

copycat frosty

Vanilla Frosty Recipe

(yields about 3 cups)

• 2 cups milk of choice (480g)
  • 1 cup Morinu silken firm tofu (or 1 cup soaked cashews for a soy-free option. For other substitution options on this recipe, see nutrition link below.) (240g)
  • 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, or more if you actually want a lemon-flavored frosty
  • just under 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp xylitol or sugar of choice (23g)
  • 1/16 tsp pure stevia, or 2 extra tbsp sugar
  • don’t add any ice cubes, as this will dilute the flavor

In advance: Freeze the 2 cups of milk in ice cube trays or little dixie cups. (It might be a good idea to freeze multiple servings at once, so in the future you won’t have to wait before proceeding with the rest of the frosty recipe.) Pop the frozen milk into a blender or food processor with all other ingredients, and blend until desired consistency is reached. If your blender isn’t super-strong, you might have to thaw the milk a little before blending.

A note about the milk: Silk almondmilk works well in this recipe, and I’m sure many other types of milk will be good as well, but I can only vouch for the Silk because I haven’t tried the recipe with any others. I’d probably steer clear of the less-thick milks like ricemilk… then again, who knows: maybe it’ll work fine!

View Vanilla Frosty Nutrition Facts

Copycat Wendy's Vanilla Frosty- the healthy version!

And an aerial view, to show the thick frosty texture.

Have you ever had a Wendy’s Frosty?

In middle school, when I played basketball, my team used to go to Wendy’s after practice. I wasn’t big on their strange square burgers, but I always looked forward to a broccoli baked potato and a Wendy’s chocolate frosty. Even before going vegetarian, I was a veggie lover! And a chocolate lover… I didn’t even know frosties came in other flavors until my roommate mentioned it yesterday. Link of the Day:

strawberry shortcake pancakes

Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Kendra says:

Wow, that Frosty look amazing!! I bet the tofu makes it nice and smooth, and definitely a lot healthier than a regular Frosty:) I think I have tasted a Frosty before, but it was many, many years ago…My family rarely eats fast food, anyway. Maybe I will try the recipe using half soy milk, half coconut milk; that would probably make it extra rich and creamy. Also, I may try using maple syrup or agave nectar in place of the sugar, but reducing the milk slightly. Thanks for sharing such a delicious looking recipe!!

2. Jasmin says:

Yummy! I’ve never had a wendy’s frosty but who needs one now? I’ve got to try this out! I actually love your recipes with tofu because I’m always looking for new ways to use it. Thanks, Katie!

1. Agreed. I know you try not to do too many recipes with tofu because you say a lot of your readers don’t like soy, but please don’t forget about those of us who like tofu and would love more ways to use it!

I couldn’t wait for this recipe to freeze, so I just combined all the ingredients in a blender, with the milk not being frozen, and am I just drinking it as a non frozen smoothie. OMG it is gooooooood!

1. Tofu is perfectly fine, as long as it’s not the only thing you eat 😉

3. Ellie says:

I was so excited to see this! I have such great memories of my grandparents associated with Wendy’s Frosties. They would drive out from PA to Chicago to visit and take me and my sisters to Wendy’s every time, we always got Frostys, though they only had chocolate then. It was a special time, just us with our grandparents. I will have to make this–perhaps adding some cocoa powder–and toast my grandma (whose health is failing), and my grandpa (who passed away a few years ago). Thanks for this!

4. Lauren says:

This looks delicious! Just having the word ‘frosty’ in the title catches my attention. My first Wendy’s Frosty came when I was pregnant, but my husband and I got sidetracked with something, and I never got to enjoy its true frozen glory because it melted in the car! I’ll have to make this to compensate… 😉

5. Liz says:

It’s like this post was meant for me! I love chocolate, but vanilla is my favorite. I used to get a McDonalds vanilla milkshake every day after high school. Then I wondered why I was so overweight! 😕 CCK, your blog is a lifesaver. I’m down 60 pounds and have more energy than ever. And my coworkers are all on their “no dessert” diets and can’t understand how I can be getting healthier and my cholesterol is going down too, while always eating such delicious treats. I brought them in your peanut butter secret cookies the other day and everyone thought I was trying to sabotage their diet ;).

6. Emma says:

Love this! I have the milk freezing now. You’re like a vegan Hungry Girl. And Hungry Girl has a tv show now, so I think there needs to be a vegan Hungry Girl tv show. Hint hint!

1. Anonymous says:

Yes, a vegan hungry girl! And without all the splenda and artificial and processed ingredients. I did read hungry girl for a while while trying to lose weight after my first pregnancy, but all those fake sugars in her recipes gave me migrains :(. Thank you for this blog, it’s helped me in more ways than you’ll ever know!

7. I need to start keeping silken tofu on hand for all of your fantastic recipes!

8. Never had a Wendy’s frosty! I am however a fan of Dairy Queen’s Blizzards! This looks delicious- I need to buy some silken tofu next time I’m at the grocery store!

1. Katia says:

Try the cookie dough milkshake, too. The first time I tried it I was amazed at how much it tasted like a Blizzard with half the calories of the mini.

9. Now all I need is a healthy french fry to dip into that frosty! 🙂

1. Alan says:

You could try CCK’s Protein Fries since you’ll be by all the ToFu anyway http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/04/18/introducing-protein-french-fries/
      and there is always oven baked french fries which I love to make.

1. Genius! Thank you for the idea!

2. Sara C. says:

That’s my favorite treat too….Wendy’s fries and a frosty (though I prefer chocolate)

I’ll bet I could make it chocolate if I tossed some cocoa powder in it.

10. Now I just need some fried to dip in it. 🙂

1. Alan says:

and there is always oven baked french fries which I love to make and they’re super easy

1. I was kidding… but now that you mentioned it I make some parsnip fried that would be awesome coated in cinnamon and dipped in this. 🙂

11. Kathleen says:

Only 3.5 carbs? i have to try this. I have the almond milk but not sure where to get silken tofu. Just a regular grocery store?

1. It depends on the store. Two of my local (“regular”) grocery stores carry it, but another one doesn’t. One store sells it in the fridged section, the others sell it in the Asian section, and Whole Foods sells it in the gluten-free section! Your best bet is to look in the natural-food section and otherwise maybe ask a store worker.

1. Amber says:

And my Whole Foods sells it in the fridge section too, although I leave it out once I get home!

1. Olivia says:

It works just as well if you replace the tofu for an equal amount of soaked cashews.

12. Kylie says:

Well, I think it may finally be time to by some Silken Tofu. I just tried tofu for the first time about two weeks ago. I am newly vegan (mostly, not strict about honey), so I went with a basic tofu scramble. My husband and I loved it! We even made it again a few days later for breakfast burritos. I was always tofu wary with all the conflicting information, but I figured I’d give it a try. If I hated it, it wouldn’t be a big deal, but it would be nice to have something besides beans and raw veg as “convenience” foods. I’m glad we liked it because I have been eying your silken tofu lemon bars! I think I’m ready to take the plunge and give it a shot, and what better way than a fantastic milkshake!

1. Lisa C says:

Those lemon bars are one of my favorite recipes on CCK’s site. Highly highly recommended. Even tofu haters love them!

13. casey says:

For the nutritional info, how many servings does this recipe make? Thanks! Looks yummy!

1. Alan says:

O the nutrition link she said since it makes about 3 cups the nutrition is for 1 cup, so three servings total.

14. Lisa C says:

CCK, this looks unreal, as do the photos. Chomping at the bit for your cookbook to come out. HURRY!!! 🙂

15. Rae says:

And I’ve found my dessert for tonight. Or afternoon snack. Or both. Yes, definitely both.

16. OMG this looks incredible! I haven’t had a Wendy’s frosty in forever but they were the best- the consistency was always so delicious! I cannot wait to give this a try! (PS I had no idea they came in any other flavor besides chocolate 😉

17. Lauren says:

This is so apropos! Wendy’s is giving out free bacon cheeseburgers and Frosties across the street from where I work right now, which I obviously won’t be eating! I’d love to have a chocolate version of this, since that’s the only flavor of Frosty that I thought existed, too!

18. Allison says:

I officially LOVE you. Vanilla frostys are amazing! And this one is even better!

19. Aja says:

I really need to buy tofu so I can try all of your delicious looking recipes. This one especially!

20. Sarah says:

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited about this! I love vanilla Frosty’s but I hate the amount of calories they have!