Green Lemonade

The healthiest drink in the world?

green lemonade

Lemonade stands will never be the same.

I don’t think I ever sold lemonade as a kid. I ran a cookie stand and a hot chocolate stand, and my friend and I once sold flowers we picked from her mom’s garden. (Not a good idea; nobody bought flowers, and her mom yelled at us for ruining the flower beds.)

Sorry to say, I missed out on selling lemonade. But I didn’t miss out on drinking it: my favorite was when lemonade tasted really sour, not the super-sweet pink stuff my sister loved because it was her favorite color. I always wished they’d made blue lemonade.

With its vibrant green hue, this crazy-healthy recipe comes close:

green juice

The best part about blender recipes is that, unlike with baked goods, you can keep adding ingredients if you’re not happy with the initial result. I kept playing with this recipe, tasting along the way, and suddenly the flavors just popped. It’s surprisingly delicious!

Green Lemonade

(no added sugar)

Recipe inspired by my drink at Peacefood Cafe

• 1 to 2 very large apples (200-400g)
  • 1 to 2 cups kale (or another green, or omit) (40g)
  • 1 to 2 stalks celery, broken into a few pieces, and bottoms cut off (80g)
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup water
  • optional: a small piece of fresh ginger (or more, for a spicier juice)

Core the apples (no need to take off the skin), and combine all ingredients in a super-high-powered blender like a Vita-Mix. Blend until completely pulverized. I like it thick, so I never bother with this next step: Unless you prefer a ton of pulp like I do, you should pour the blended mixture through the finest strainer you own. Discard pulp or use for a different recipe. (Google “juice pulp recipes” if you need ideas.) Use one apple for a more tart drink and two apples for a sweeter drink.

View Green Lemonade Nutrition Facts

green lemonade2

Question of the Day:

Did you ever sell lemonade as a kid?

Sadly I don’t see very many kids selling lemonade anymore. Now they’re always out there selling Kool Aid… for $5 a glass!

Link of the Day:

grasshopper pie

……Chocolate Grasshopper Pie

It’s also green, thanks to a secret healthy ingredient. No, not spinach or avocado!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. I remember I had a lemonade stand once. A cute old lady came up and gave my brother and I $5 and didn’t even want any of our drinks lol. That’s all the money we made but we considered it a huge success!

2. We just bought a Vitamix and I can’t wait to be able to make all of your yummy Vitamix recipes!

3. Ah, yes, I used to sell lemonade. Not many people would stop to buy some, though. I live in a neighbor where the majority of the people who live there were older and not many people drove by my house. Oh well.

4. This looks so good! Too bad I don’t have a Vitamix… And yes! I definitely sold lemonade as a kid, we did that all the time on our street, but never made much money!

5. Sarah says:

My neighbor’s grandson sells lemonade every year at the bike race in Philly since it goes through my neigborhood. He sells it for 25 cents and with all of the people drinking alcohol that day, I’m sure he makes a killing when they need something non-alcoholic to drink!

6. Christina says:

Do you cook the kale first?

7. Rachel says:

I used to sell iced tea haha ths looks good! I don’t have a vitamix though

8. I love the recipe. I’ve been meaning to try out juicing. I just got a high power blender and I would love to have a healthy drink like this for my afternoon snack! Thanks Katie!

9. Ashley says:

I never sold lemonade as a kid- probably because we lived in the desert and it was always too hot in the summer to be outside in the daytime! But I am a sucker for a good glass of sour lemonade:)

10. I have been making a similar recipe since I went vegan 6 years ago. I use romaine lettuce instead of kale, add ice & blend in my Blendtec (instead of a juicer).

& never sold lemonade as a kid.

11. I never sold lemonade because I lived out in the middle of the country where no one would pass by for hours. My parents would have definitely bought some though! I take it that you lived in a very populated area? Was your business venture successful? 😀

My brother and I did have mini-garage sales with each other though. We’d pick cheap nick-knacks from our room (like bouncy balls, envelopes, fast food toys, slinkies, Pokemon cards…) and price them at 5 or 10 cents apiece. If we ran out of money we went couch diving!

12. Well like you I never sold lemonade as I kid. I never had any sort of stand come to think of it…oh well!

I do very much like the way this lemonade looks and with my favorite veggie, KALE, in it it must be a winner 🙂

13. It’s so GREEN! Love it- usually wake up to yummy spinach smoothies 🙂

14. Rachel Ngom says:

This looks awesome! I’ve made something similar in the juicer, but not in my blender! I will have to give it a shot!

15. Ashley says:

Do you use granny smith apples? Or a sweeter variety?

1. Sunnie says:

Ah, I LOVE pink lady apples. I just ate one today. 🙂 Looks like a yummy recipe, Katie! Have you ever had limeade?

1. Meredith says:

I just ate one about two minutes ago! Wish I could try this recipe, but all I have is a food processor and I don’t think it could handle this :/

1. Ani says:

I’ve made a similar juice in a food processor before. It will just come out slushier, like a slushy instead. Try it; still delicious!

16. Meg says:

What a fabulous idea! I am so trying this!

17. CARA says:

I found 2 lemons, 1 LARGE (inedibly so ) cucumber, a little bit of agave nectar and some kale or spinach or both to be THE best lemonade slushy! 🙂 less calories too because of the cucumber instead of apples. Believe me with the apples piling up I was tempted. 🙂

18. Sherry says:

I throw kale, 1/2 a peeled lemon, spinach, an apple, 1 celery stalk, piece of ginger, 1/2 a cucumber, cilantro and parsley in my juicer in the morning, and it’s delicious! No pulp just a dark green juice. I like the color of your bright green juice!

19. tiffany says:

I never had a lemonade stand but I did have a mini carni game lol. I got a bunch of toys I no longer wanted and set up a game for people to play to win a toy….a couple people played and gave me money but no one would take a toy. I think they figured I would be sad losing some of my own toys.

20. Jasmin says:

For the lemon juice, is it pure lemon juice? Like freshly squeezed stuff?