Healthy Graham Cracker Pie Crust

Sometimes a recipe is so simple it makes you wonder why you hadn’t thought of it before…

No butter or trans fat, can be low-fat and gluten-free. You'll never have to buy a prepared crust again. Full recipe here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/01/healthy-graham-cracker-pie-crust/

This healthy pie crust is one of those recipes.

I started with two basic ingredients, fully intending to add more. However, when I mixed those first ingredients together, I was surprised to find it really didn’t need anything else to become a fully-functioning pie crust.

Depending on the graham crackers you use, this healthy graham cracker crust can be whole-grain, gluten-free, low-sugar, low-fat, vegan, and completely free of the trans fats that lurk in most commercially-prepared crusts.

You’ll never have to buy a graham cracker crust again.

healthy graham cracker crust

Healthy Graham Cracker Crust

• 1 1/2 cups crumbs of Homemade Graham Crackers, or 10 graham cracker sheets
  • 3 tbsp oil or a butter spread like Earth Balance, or 3 tbsp milk of choice for a low-fat crust

In a food processor, process crackers into fine crumbles. Add the milk or oil (or buttery spread) and process again to combine. Pour the now-sticky crumbs into a prepared pie pan, and smush down very firmly with your hands or a sheet of wax paper. (Be sure to smush down VERY hard if using the milk version, as the lack of fat will make this crust crumbly if you don’t.) You can go up the sides if desired, and if you need a larger crust simply add more graham cracker sheets and milk of choice (I used almond milk) until it reaches the same consistency as the original recipe. There’s no need to pre-bake; just pour desired pie filling on top and then bake the pie according to whatever particular recipe you’re making. This also works great for no-bake pies or even freezer pies!

View Pie Crust Nutrition Facts

healthy chocolate pie

Highly recommended for the above: Ultimate Chocolate Fudge Pie.

Tags: , , ,

1. Cathy says:

This is perfect for the pie i am making tomorrow! Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!

2. Michelle says:

Yummi!!! Looks sooo good! 😀

3. Nichole says:

Yay! Now I can try this with my vegan cheesecake! I have been using alot more ingredients in mine! I will have to try!

4. AJ says:

Happy birthday! My birthday is September 6 :) I love recipes like this that are easy, simple, healthy, and delicious. I love chocolate, but I don’t think I’ll make the chocolate fudge pie. My neighbor, who is into healthy eating, said I should stay away from soy products as much as I can.

1. Andrea says:

I’ve heard that, too. That too much soy isn’t good for you. I do love me some vanilla soy milk, though!

2. Unless there’s a medical reason (like an allergy), I don’t think you need to worry about soy in moderation. If you’re bored, I once wrote a post (a long time ago) with my thoughts on soy: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/06/09/processed-foods-and-soybeans-and-tofu-oh-my/

And my birthday is the 6th as well :).

1. Cindy says:

Another reason to be careful about soy is if you have thyroid issues. Even in those cases, it is possible to eat soy (which I’ve avoided until recently due to my thyroid), but you must do it under a doctor’s guidance. From what I’ve learned, eating soy can affect how thyroid replacement meds are processed. So, meds may need to be adjusted depending on how much you’re eating. Again, best thing to do, if this is an issue for you, is check with your health care practitioner.

5. Honeybird says:

Your birthday is in 4 days! Mine is in 8 days :P.
    Do you already know what kind of pie you’ll be making (or maybe more than one)?
    I am already thinking hard about that; writing down and crossing out ideas 😛

1. I’m sure it’ll include chocolate!

6. Aja says:

This is great! Happy early birthday! I’m making a pie in a few days and am so glad you posted this. Just in time, haha!

7. This would taste incredible! Unfortunately I cannot keep graham crackers in the house due to a severe lack of willpower not to eat an entire sleeve of them :/

8. jenica says:

Oh wow. This is so simple and beautiful. Those are the best kind of recipes! I can’t wait to try this.

9. I definitely want pie!! This is sooooo easy. What a great find…no oil and no butter! I wonder how it would work with almond flour.

10. THANK YOU FOR THIS. YES.

11. Jennifer JCD says:

Excellent! I am making chocolate pie for my brother’s birthday today and will give this a try. I’ve been lazy before and just used water and it worked, and I am guessing nondairy milk will hold it together even better. Brilliant! :)

12. Kendra says:

Such a simple crust recipe; I bet it would certainly be delicious for your chocolate fudge pie:) And I can’t wait for the cheesecake recipe–I am sure it will be fantastic!! I hope you have a wonderful birthday; do you have any special plans??

1. Besides eating chocolate? No, not yet :)

13. Yum! I love graham cracker crusts. Especially with key lime pie. Delicious. Unfortunately, I’ve never seen gluten free graham crackers :(

1. Alan says:

I’ve never tried these but it may be worth a shot if you really like graham crackers.
      Its not cheap as a whole BUT its really only about $5.50 a box when you break it down so its not horrible. The reviews seem to be favorable. Hope this helps.

1. Cindy says:

I wonder if you could substitute almond meal in this?

2. Erika says:

My GF friend recommended GF ginger snaps in place of graham crackers for crust, and though I haven’t tried them with this recipe, they worked great with my recipe that uses butter. Mi-Del makes a great GF ginger snap.

2. Alanna says:

Check out Katie’s graham cracker recipe (she linked it above) — you can use gf flour to make them!

14. A graham cracker crust without butter – who would’ve thought? You’re a lifesaver, Katie!

15. Alaine says:

This would be perfect for cheescake! So easy too! I love, love your recipes!

16. tiffany says:

I love that you use milk in place of margarine or butter..the recipe i used to use (i havent made it in ages) was nothing but graham cracker and a bit of butter to hold it together

17. Becca says:

My birthday is the 7th! :)

18. Juliana says:

Happy Birthday! Mine’s actually on the 5th!

19. Oh my gosh — what an incredible recipe! Sometimes less is more, and you just proved it! Thanks so much! :)

HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY, Katie! 😀