Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Pumpkin Baked French Toast

Hello Thanksgiving breakfast.

Pumpkin baked french toast- the perfect recipe for Thanksgiving breakfast!

Pumpkin French Toast: A made-from-scratch breakfast casserole with sweet cinnamon and creamy pumpkin in every delicious bite. It’s perfect for feeding a crowd, or for enjoying on a quiet and chilly autumn morning. Simply assemble the night before, and pop it into the oven in the morning for a delicious and comforting breakfast.

Pumpkin baked french toast- perfect for Thanksgiving breakfast.

If this were a Friends episode, it would be called: The one where she has way too much fun taking “pouring shot” photos.

Pumpkin baked french toast. T

Pumpkin Baked French Toast

(Serves 4-6)

• 3 1/2 cups cubed bread (I used Ezekiel, but other types are fine. French bread would be really good in this recipe, as would cinnamon-raisin. Depending on the type of bread, you might need more or less than 3.5 cups. You want enough to fill an 8×8 pan.) (175g)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or just add a little extra cinnamon)
  • sweetener of choice (If you want to top the casserole with syrup post-baking, use 3 nunaturals stevia packs or 3 tbsp sugar. If you’d prefer a sweeter breakfast casserole that needs no topping, increase the amount to 5-6 tbsp)
  • 1 1/4 cups milk of choice (300g) (Depending on your choice of bread, you might need to use less. This is a good amount for the Ezekiel bread.)
  • optional: 2 tbsp butter-type spread of choice (for a more buttery result) (30g)
  • 1 cup MoriNu silken-firm tofu, or 1 cup yogurt of choice (240g)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (I used canned pumpkin) (120g)
  • optional: handful of raisins

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except bread, and stir very well. (If using the tofu, you should blend these ingredients. Otherwise, just stir by hand.) Grease an 8×8-in baking pan, and pour the cubed bread into the pan. Cover evenly with the wet mixture, then cover the entire dish with a lid or saran wrap and fridge overnight. The next morning, preheat oven to 400 F and cook about 30-35 minutes. Top with maple syrup or your favorite French toast topping (or eat plain, if you opt to use the extra dry sweetener pre-baking.)

View Pumpkin French Toast Nutrition Facts

Pumpkin French Toast

And for everyone who asked:

gossip girl costume

Can you guess which Gossip Girl character I was?

I didn’t include costume photos in my original post for a few reasons, the main one being it’s not a very elaborate costume. I didn’t think it was worth posting. I also don’t normally take my camera to parties, which was why the post was made up of recycled photos. In retrospect, I probably should’ve skipped posting on Thursday altogether. But one’s mind doesn’t always think straight on two hours of sleep. (Side note: I borrowed the Chanel bag from a friend, and it’s actually a knock-off from Canal Street in NYC. I’m thinking Serena would not approve. Other side note: I wanted to be Blair, but they said I was too blonde. Yet another side note: …I think I’ve written enough side notes. I’ll stop now.)

Link of the Day: Healthy Pumpkin Recipes

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. kerri sabo says:

does it have to sit overrnite or can it be cooked right away?

1. I’ve only tried it the overnight way, so I can’t say for sure.

1. Tiffany H says:

If you make it in the morning, you should let it sit. Baked french toast works best if you let the break soak up the doesn’t take hours to happen though so if you have a bit of time you can start it in the morning…its just easier to make it at night and put in the oven in the morning.

1. It was done by the time I was out of the shower… so it works if you make it in the morning too!

2. eris says:

i’m not sure how you got that calorie count. the bread alone is way more then 51…

1. Eris,
      It’s per serving, not for the entire recipe.

3. Lisa says:

we have already had our Thanksgiving in Canada….so I am thinking that this will be great as a “Happy Monday” breakfast tomorrow……

4. That looks really yummy! It’s funny you mention Canal St in NYC. I have been there a few times. It’s crazy. They had me point to a bag out of a catalog and then ran behind a closed door to get it. My favorite fall breakfast would be pumpkin anything. 🙂

5. Rebecca Boot says:

It looks like a sort of bread pudding – and very yummy – though I’d never get away with having british bread pudding for breakfast. Any how I have half a pumpkin sat on the work surface may have to try this out!

6. My favorite Fall breakfast is definitely baked oatmeal of any kind!

7. Lauren says:

Katie you look so pretty!! Thanks for sharing the picture. And this recipe looks so good. Did you use a whole wheat Ezekiel loaf?

8. katy sparrow says:

YUM! I want to make this for my family on thanksgiving break!

9. Lena says:

This looks really good! But I don’t have any pumpkin (it’s not sold as crazily over here, since we don’t celebrate Halloween – not to mention pumpkin puree can’t be found anywhere) but I might try substituting the pumpkin puree for applesauce/mashed banana and hope for the best. ..

1. HilJo says:

I havent tried this recipe so I dont know if this would work, but for a pumpin sub: it is not quite the same but you could probably try using butternut squash or even sweet potato puree…

1. HilJo says:

10. Ooh this looks like a yummy breakfast bread pudding. Delish!

11. Yum…this would be the perfect Thanksgiving breakfast! A fave of mine is pumpkin pancakes or waffles!

12. That looks delicious, and so easy! I love gossip girl, great costume idea, especially since you can just wear things out of your closet!

13. Wow, this looks incredible! And I am so glad that you put the option of tofu or yogurt. Soy doesn’t agree with me well, so it’s great when a recipe has an option for alternatives like this!

14. This looks great! I’m a huge fan of French toast casseroles, so this is perfect. 🙂 My favorite fall breakfast is pumpkin bread. You can never really go wrong with it.

15. Diane says:

This looks very tasty! I am curious about your calorie estimate, though. You say 51 calories per serving, and that the recipe makes 4-6 servings. With 6 servings, leaving out the butter, using Ezekiel whole grain bread that’s listed as 80 calories per 34 gram slice, using light silken tofu, and using unsweetened soy milk, I calculate 133 calories per serving. Did you calculate your nutritional values based on different serving sizes? Or can you recommend the specific ingredients that will yield 51 calories per serving? Thanks!

1. Sorry about that! When I put the gram amounts of Ezekiel bread into caloriecount’s recipe calculator, it came up as 136 calories. That was a mistake- those online calculators are notorious for mistakes, and I should’ve caught that one. Info is fixed now! (Using Silk unsweet almondmilk.)

16. You costume is great! I bet the would have looked awesome all together! This bake looks delicious! That’s one thing I loved about Hawaii, bread pudding for breakfast! Here, in Australia it’s always dessert!

17. Rachel says:

How many slices of ezekial bread did you use?

1. I think it was 4 or 5. I went by the gram measurements, so I don’t really remember.

18. Elly says:

Hey so this probably sounds annoying but in response to what Erin said I tried to figure out the calories and got 180 calories per serving so yeahhh that’s weird, awesome recipe though, I am pretty psyched to try it 🙂

1. Online calculator had an error. Sorry for the confusion… it’s fixed now!

19. i love tofu says:

My favorite fall breakfast is pumkin spice pancakes:)!!!!
    Your dress looks nice!
    And the french toast is to die for!!!