How to make your own White Chocolate Chips

Easy recipe to make your own white chocolate chips... in under five minutes.

White chocolate is not really chocolate.

• Just like tomatoes aren’t really vegetables.
  • Lentils aren’t really beans.
  • Koalas aren’t really bears…

Life’s confusing, isn’t it?

How to make your own white chocolate.

Sometimes people are surprised to find not a single white chocolate recipe on this entire chocolate-covered blog. White chocolate has just never been my favorite thing… because I want it to taste like chocolate and am mad when it doesn’t!

Plus, most white chocolate chips aren’t vegan, and they are full of unhealthy trans fats (partially-hydrogenated oils) and artificial ingredients.

Many of you have asked if I could come up with recipes that include chocolate’s paler cousin. But to do that, I first had to figure out how to make my own healthy white chocolate.

Thankfully, it turned out to be really, really easy!

healthy white chocolate chips!

I read up about white chocolate on Wikipedia and checked out the candy bars at the grocery store. Research! (To make research fun, all you have to do is get out of the library and head to the chocolate aisle. Who knew?)

They all consist of the same basic ingredients: cacao butter, milk solids (dry milk), sugar, and salt… Pretty much, as long as you have the one magic ingredient, the white chocolate is so easy to make it can hardly even be called a recipe.

Easy way to make white chocolate and control what goes in it.

White Chocolate Chips

(can be sugar-free)

• 2-inch cube cacao butter (30 grams, or 2 tbsp after melting)
  • scant 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • stevia or powdered sugar to taste (2 tbsp if powdered sugar)
  • 1 tbsp raw cashew or macadamia butter (can omit; it’ll just be less creamy) (15g)
  • very tiny pinch salt
  • optional: If you can find it, I highly recommend adding 1/2 tsp dry milk powder—such as soy or ricemilk powder—to the ingredients for optimum creamy texture, as this is one of the basic ingredients in every white chocolate bar I looked at during my aforementioned research. However, knowing that a lot of people would have trouble finding the powder, I also tried omitting it. And then I tried adding protein powder instead (increasing to 1 tsp). Omitting or adding the protein powder instead will yield a texture that’s a little different than store-bought white chocolate, but both ways still work! (Just please don’t add liquid milk. I tried that too, and it doesn’t work.)

Melt the cacao butter (either in the microwave or on the stove). Turn off heat, then stir in all other ingredients. Pour into candy molds or a plastic container, and freeze until it hardens. Healthier and vegan white chocolate chips. Yay!

View Nutrition Facts

How to make your own white chocolate.

Question of the Day:

Are you going to vote tonight?

I never got around to early voting, so I will be going tonight. Unfortunately, my roommate’s and my opposite votes are going to cancel each other out… we jokingly thought about just staying home!

Link of the Day:

peanut-butter-cookie-dough-balls_thumb
…….…PB Cookie Dough Balls

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Quin says:

YAY FIRST COMMENT! Lol. Thanks so much for this recipe Katie! Now I can combine this recipe with your Macadamia Nut Cookie recipe!

1. I was thinking of that too… or the blondies or banana bread. I actually already tried using them for the chocolate bar pie, but that idea definitely needs some work. It was… not very good!

2. That’s a great idea! Those cookies are awesome…

2. Real white chocolate has cocoa butter and is therefore chocolate. Fake, cheap stuff – the baking chips – has vegetable shortening instead and is not.

1. I’ve actually read that no white chocolate is considered chocolate because it lacks cocoa solids/ cocoa licqueur. I guess maybe it depends on the definition you’re using. Now I just googled “is white chocolate really chocolate” and it seems people are split.

1. Alex says:

Victoria,

Katie is right. Cocoa solids are the low- fat reddish or brown solids that are taken from a cocoa bean during the separation of cocoa butter and cocoa solids. Cocoa butter, on the other hand, is the fat component that is extracted during this process. They are distinguishable by color, texture, chemical properties, and in the fact that cocoa solids contain caffeine, whereas cocoa butter, when separated correctly and completely, does not. Just because cocoa butter becomes solid at certain temperatures does not mean that it “IS a cocoa solid” as you have said, it simply means that it is a solid by physical property. I would suggest doing more research before coming so hard at Katie, who clearly knows what she is talking about! Thanks for an awesome recipe Katie and doing such great research!

1. Thanks, Alex! 🙂
            But no worries… I never mind going back to check if someone thinks I made a mistake, as sometimes it turns out that I did.

2. If this is coming down hard on somebody…I have no idea what you people do for day jobs. Perspective…

3. anonymous says:

Sorry Victoria, but I agree with Alex. Your repeated insistence without even bothering to check first was just weird.
            I don’t mean to start a war, Katie. You can delete my comment if you want to.

4. Jina says:

Oh my god. This is ridiculous. Victoria was hard on Katie. Are you kidding me? If you thought that was mean I dont know how you survived high school, unless youre not in high school yet, which I suspect.

Please Katie tell your followers to CALM DOWN. They are making this blog difficult to read.

5. Harsha says:

I agree. Attacking anyone who expresses a contrary opinion is not cool. Victoria was not hard. She just expressed an opinion. And I can see that she has a blog dedicated to chocolate too so she is not just saying things. My dad works in a chocolate factory and he considers white chocolate as “chocolate” too. There is really no right or wrong in this. Katie, I would also request you to please ask readers to stop fighting among themselves. You are a sweet person and your blog is a feel-good place.

6. Crafty lil vegan says:

I think the everyone needs to calm down a touch here. It’s a great recipe! I personally love white chocolate, but can rarely find a vegan version! This will make it so much easier!
            Also, Surely you’re all here to read Katies lovely recipes and posts? If the readers comments are “making the blog hard to read”, I think you’re spending too much time reading the wrong part..
            Focus on the positive posts =] not the petty comments! Katie really shouldn’t have to ask her readers to play nice! We’re all grown-ups here! We’re fully capable of being nice all on our own =]
            (not trying to offend anyone here, just stating an opinion)

7. Harsha says:

You are absolutely right of course, and if people were as mature as this, then there would be no problems. And yes, I agree that we need to focus on the positives. The thing is, often a lot of reader queries get answered in the comments section, and I like to read through the comments to see if a particular query of mine has already been answered before asking it (and more often than not, i find the answer I am looking for). So its not really a good choice to stop reading comments. And when people start attacking anyone who expresses a contradictory opinion, it makes it difficult for the rest of us not to get irritated. For instance, in this particular case, I would have been really interested to know if white chocolate is indeed chocolate or not. My dad works in a chocolate factory and he says it is, but I have heard many saying its not. I would have been interested to hear from Victoria and Katie as they both are experts on chocolate in their own way. But some over-zealous readers just jumped in and started saying things like Victoria was coming down “too hard” on Katie, which was ridiculous according to me. I agree that it’s not Katie’s job to tell readers to play nice, but if she does, the blog will be much more pleasant and informative. And who else can do it better than her? I agree it’s not her job, but it doesn’t mean she shouldn’t interfere at all. It’s not like just because you are on Katie’s blog, you have to agree with her no matter what she says, right? As long as the commenter is being respectful, I don’t see why anyone else should rush to Katie’s defense. What could have been an interesting discussion on chocolate turned out to be a slinging match here and that could have been avoided. That’s all I wanted to point out (By the way, no offense taken and none intended either)

8. Crafty lil vegan says:

Harsha, if only everyone could express themselves so eloquently =]

3. Nice detective work Katie!! These would be so delicious in oatmeal or pumpkin bars. I love white chocolate with dried cranberries too. Perhaps healthy cranberry bliss bars? Tis the season!

1. Andrea says:

I am in love with this idea! I’ve already had three of those bars since they came out last week, but I know they must be terribly unhealthy. If it’s something you’re interested in trying out, Katie, I’m sure there are many of us who would love you even more for it!

4. Sara says:

You are my heroe, seriously .
    I cant believe this! Amazing, will try this for sure

Greetings from Belgium !

5. Anonymous says:

Can you recommend a brand of food grade cacao butter, or suggestions for where you can buy it? I’ve never seen it in my local stores — and I’ve been looking — I miss white chocolate! Thank you!!

6. Laura says:

I’m not old enough to vote, but my mom is leaving to right now.
    Don’t ever, ever, EVER, stay home on election day! It doesn’t matter who someone else voting for! If you don’t vote you are giving up one of your most powerful rights! Why would anyone give up the chance to affect their own future? Think about all the people in the world who wish they had the opportunity we have!
    I’m sorry to rant, I just really hate it when people suggest not voting. 🙁

1. Oh no, we weren’t being serious… we just thought it was funny. We also debated putting up two signs in front of our house. You know, to confuse the neighbors ;).

1. Laura says:

Lol, that would be funny! I get it now. I thought you probably were joking but there are some people who aren’t. Some topics just make me explode! 😉

1. I guess it was confusing the way I had it worded originally. I said “seriously” but meant it in a joking way… I love the fact that I get to vote (not just for the president, but for other things and people as well).

7. Ed says:

Wow that is super simple! I never thought of making those myself..great recipe!

8. I love white chocolate…
    But I think, for me, getting cocoa butter is even more expensive than buying vegan white chocolate chips (which are pretty expensive where I live, too)…

1. Sunnie says:

BUT, the good thing is that you can determine how much sugar – if you use sugar at all! – is in your white chocolate. 🙂 I like the idea of stevia-sweetened chocolate.

9. Lol – I LOVE your voting theory!

10. I think white chocolate is okay, but I much prefer dark chocolate. And I voted absentee ballot already! Makes today a little simpler.

11. I literally almost started jumping up & down when I saw this recipe. All the possibilities! Personally, I’m not a fan of white chocolate by itself, but when it’s combined with regular chocolate, pretzels, M&Ms, etc. it’s amazing.

I don’t vote, because I’m only 13 and, honestly, it saddens me how both canidates say stupid things & twist the truth to benefit only themselves. 🙁 Obviously, I will never go into politics.

1. i love tofu says:

Hey, I thought I was the only thirteen year old reading this blog! In fact, I thought I was the only 13 year old vegan on the planet. Now I feel a lot less weird.:)
      It IS sad how politicians and candidates say stuff just to be president.

1. Good to know that I’m not alone! Lol! I’m not exactly vegan, but I do avoid dairy and eggs for allergy reasons. Nice to meet (is it called meeting if we haven’t actually seen each other???) someone my own age! 🙂

2. Rebecca630 says:

I’m a 14 year old vegan 🙂 I was when I was 13 too though. This recipe sounds yummy! I can’t wait to try it 🙂

12. Jen says:

Thought the voting comment was pretty irresponsible.

1. Aubrey says:

It’s a personal choice. Don’t bash others for it.

1. Jen says:

It’s a civic responsibility. I understand now it was a joke but it was not initially read as such. Katie speaks to a large audience. The theme of the blog isn’t political but one certainly has responsibilities when reaching out to groups of people. In any case, I wasn’t bashing anyone.

1. jenn a. says:

actually. we’re given the freedom to choose to vote. people shouldn’t feel the pressure to vote if they don’t want to…I easily read it as a joke, so I’m not sure how it was irresponsible, if someone is seriously gonna take a comment so far out of context like that, and choose not to vote, it obviously wasn’t very important to them in the first place. Yes, we’re lucky we get to vote, but we’re also lucky we have the option not to vote, it’s all about the freedom of choice.

2. Mandy says:

It’s a right, not a responsibility. Don’t confuse the two.

1. Nicole says:

Oh my… there are too many people who read this blog just to make negative comments about Katie’s thoughts or opinions… if you don’t like it, don’t read it.

2. Mary says:

I took Katie’s comment about not voting as a “joke” as well (I, myself, have “joked” with a couple friends who’s vote opposed mine, saying that I HAD to vote whether I wanted to or not – just so I could cancel out THEIR vote, lol. But that’s all it was – a joke… 😉 … However, I will say that Aubrey and Mandy are correct, in my opinion. Voting IS a right. However, if you choose NOT to vote, then you also forfeit your rights to complain later down the line about whom ever gets into office… I strongly urge EVERYONE to exercise your RIGHT to voice your opinion and VOTE!! … Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe Katie! I look forward to trying it! 😉

3. Tessa says:

My goodness gracious. I got the joke- it seemed fairly clear.
            The white chocolate sounds great. I am not vegan, but white chocolate is usually full of so much nastiness, so this sounds like a much better option!

3. Margaux says:

Not to fuel this ridiculous debate much more, but I should point out that – whether intentional or not – Katie votes every time she visits the market or posts a delicious recipe. There is so much more to civic responsibility than showing up at the polls every four years and voting for a president. A few major food producers have an obscene impact on the entire political realm, and neither candidate had clean hands on that front. The issue of food production is clearly important to Katie and she is doing a very good job leading by example with that issue. I find it pretty difficult to take offense to a (pretty blatant) joke from someone with nothing but good intentions, who is (again, whether knowingly or not) very actively representing her standpoint on an issue that affects everyone.

13. Hi Katie! I thought it was worth mentioning that this will not taste like the white chocolate confection most people consider to be white chocolate. Cocoa butter has a very strong chocolate flavor…of which there is none in the yucky stuff you buy in the store. Did you notice that? I made several versions awhile ago and realized I wasn’t going to get that white chocolate I remember from my youth with cocoa butter. What did you think? Cocoa butter DOES make some very luscious homemade chocolate though!

1. There actually IS cacao butter in most of the bars I looked at. Maybe that was because I looked at Whole Foods?

1. did you think your tasted like the white chocolate confection most people buy? Or more chocolatey?

2. liz says:

I’m hoping that it’s not too late to ask this since the last post was in 2012, but…
      I’m on the specific carbohydrate diet (SCD) and really have missed regular chocolate chips in cookies because coconut oil based chocolate melts too quickly to hold together in baking and just drips out of the cookie. Does Cocoa butter really hold up in baking like regular chocolate does? I was thinking I could try mixing cocoa powder and honey into it to make chocolate chips! For someone who hasn’t had a chocolate chip cookie in 9 months, this would be AMAZING!

1. liz says:

Shoot, sorry, I just saw where someone else asked the same question. Hard to find the comments about food when they’re buried in all the political goofiness. I don’t want you to delete people’s posts because they disagree with you, I want you to delete people’s rabbit trails so your readers don’t have to spend a whole hour skimming through unrelated content just to see if their question has been answered. Great post, great recipes, good job not being drawn in by “trolls” trying to just see how much angst they can stir up!

14. Your genius! I am going to try this!! Way better then what is in the stores. But where do you buy cacoa butter?

1. Natural food stores, or online. Look for Artisana.

15. Leah says:

White chocolate is so good, thanks for posting this. However, pandas are bears. Red pandas are not. Koalas are not.

1. Oh darn it… I’d meant to look that up to be sure before I posted. And now that I looked it up, it turns out I’m wrong! I’d always heard that they weren’t really bears. Thanks for the heads up. *Feels silly*

16. Lisa says:

Oh these look awesome. I’ve never used cocoa butter, I think I may need to buy some! Perfect for the holidays!

17. JacquieK says:

Katie, if you’re going to “joke” about voting, at least let everyone know you’re joking. It’s important that young leaders think of their followers and the impact their words have on them. Whether you realize it or not, you are a leader! Please be careful. This is a right and a responsibility of every eligible American that we can’t take lightly. Thank you.

1. Sorry about that… I’m thinking you’re reading my post through email. I actually changed the post on the blog to reflect what I really meant.

2. Lisa says:

Everybody just need to chill out. Obviously, Katie was joking. If you didn’t know that Katie was joking, then you probably just have not been reading her blog very long. A few other commentors have already pointed out the fact that it is every citizen’s choice as ro whether or not to vote.

1. Beth says:

If so many people asked her to be more clear, then maybe it wasnt so “obvious”.

18. jenn a. says:

I’m sorry but people are taking the voting thing way too seriously, and just want something to complain or argue about…

1. Samantha says:

No kidding. I used to live with a guy that swayed differently than me and we joked about canceling each others votes all the time. 🙂 And yes, we still voted. 🙂

19. Alanna says:

Already voted this morning! Please, everyone get out and vote, no matter who it’s for. And remember that you’re also voting for Congressional and state representatives, not just the President! Lots to be decided, so go be heard!

20. Monica says:

I already voted this morning. I know that I have friends who have cancelled my vote, but I like to think that I cancelled their vote. 🙂 The thing that makes me sad is that it is all determined by the electoral college, so our voice isn’t really being heard as clearly as it should be. I don’t like white chocolate either, so the mention of voting was the best part. 🙂

1. Yes, that upsets me as well! I feel like it gives some people (living in swing states, for example) a bigger say in the outcome; their votes mean more. And there are other systems/ideas (not just going by the popular vote, which has its own drawbacks) I feel would work better. Then again, it’s easy for me to sit back and criticize when I’m not the one actually writing the laws. I try to remember that… no system is going to be perfect. But I share your frustration with our current system.

1. Kerry says:

I totally understand what you mean. I have lived all of my life in Washington and never felt my vote for the president mattered. The presidents were already giving their victory speeches before the votes in Washington were even tallied. I didn’t realize the difference of empowerment until I moved to Florida three years ago. This is my first presidential election cycle in Florida and I am only now realizing the power of my vote, because I am in such an important swing state. Strange, this whole system. But, I agree, Katie, it is easy for me to criticize here at home. We do what we can though. Aaaaand, thank you for the recipe! The store bought vegan white chips are pretty gross. This is perfect timing for the holidays. Keep up the spirited blog! You are a positive light! 🙂