Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Crock Pot Oatmeal

Lately, my favorite breakfast is a giant bowl of creamy crock pot oatmeal, hot from the slow cooker.

Crock Pot Oatmeal, the easy way!

It brings back memories of visiting my grandparents’ house as a young girl. Grandpa believed steel-cut oats were the healthiest food you could eat, and he’d get up every morning at 5 AM to make sure that when we all awoke, a bowl of piping hot oatmeal—with melty butter and brown sugar—would be waiting for us.

Sometimes my sister and I tried to beat Grandpa into the kitchen. But no matter how early we snuck out of our beds, he was always two steps ahead of us, bowl of oatmeal in hand.

How to make oatmeal in the crock pot- the easy way.

Below is my basic crock pot oatmeal recipe. You can easily customize it for endless breakfast options.

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

Ingredients

• 3 cups water (or milk of choice, for a creamier and richer taste) (720g)
  • 1 cup steel-cut oats (160g)
  • 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • add-ins of choice (scroll further down on the post for ideas)

Instructions

Slow Cooker Oatmeal Recipe: Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker or crock pot, put on the lid, and cook on low heat for three hours. No need to stir or anything until the time is up! (If you don’t own a slow cooker, you can of course still make steel-cut oatmeal. Just follow the cooking directions on the package of oats. I use a 3-quart slow cooker for this recipe; cooking times may vary if you use a much-larger size.) If you double the crock pot oatmeal recipe, cook for 5-6 hours on low. For crock pot oatmeal variation ideas, scroll further down this post.

*[View Crock Pot Oatmeal Nutrition Facts | http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/slow-cooker-oatmeal-calories-and-nutrition-facts/]*

How to make oatmeal in the crock pot- the easy way.

Variations:

• Cinnamon Raisin Crock Pot Oatmeal: add raisins before cooking. Stir in ground cinnamon and sweetener of choice (and butter-type spread if desired) after cooking.
  • Mounds Bar Oatmeal: add shredded coconut, sweetener, and chocolate chips after cooking. Use coconut milk when it calls for “milk of choice.” Slivered almonds optional.
  • Apple Pie Oatmeal: peel 2 small apples, chop, and add them to the uncooked ingredients along with 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp cinnamon or apple pie spice. After cooking, stir a butter-type spread and sweetener of choice (good choices for this variation include brown sugar or Sucanat or coconut brown sugar) into hot oats.
  • Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich Oatmeal: stir 1-2 tbsp peanut butter and 1-2 tbsp jelly into each cooked serving of oatmeal. Pour some milk of choice (such as almond milk) over top just before serving. Everyone knows a pb&j is nothing without the glass of milk!

Link of the Day:

chocolate oatmeal
… .Hot Chocolate Oatmeal

Are your grandparents good cooks?

Both of my grandmothers loved to cook. One was Polish, so her specialties included stuffed cabbage, pierogies, and potato pancakes. My other grandma is Italian, and cooking is one of her greatest joys. Luckily for me, much of what she makes is already vegan (such as a really good Pasta e Fagioli). And I’m teaching her new recipes as well. Most recently I taught her how to cook quinoa. When I first told her I was going vegan, she worried… until she realized that spaghetti is vegan. Then she was totally on board! :)

1. This is a great idea! It sounds so easy and simple. I love putting rhubarb preserves and a dash of cinnamon in my oatmeal. It’s really good!

My grandma on my mom’s side is an excellent cook. She makes the best sugar cookies, hot turkey sandwiches, beef & noodles, and her hamburgers are to die for (that is if you eat meat)! She was born in Ohio so I’ve been raised on comfort food all my life.

2. Corey says:

This looks great, but what (quart) size slow-cooker did you use? Cooking times and results can vary if the wrong size is used. I came home to chicken charcoal once (and not in any good way) because my crock pot was too big for the recipe I used.

1. Thanks, Corey. I used a 3-quart crock pot. Post edited now.

1. Janet says:

I have the crock pot that has the WARM feature. Instead of setting it on a cook time I just set it on the WARM setting and let it WARM all night. Oatmeal turns out great.

2. mr piclkle says:

We have been using Bob’s Redmill instant. I am now going to convert to your idea, steel cut and leave on warm overnight.

3. Anonymous says:

Me too it works well on warm.

4. Thank you so much for this only using ‘warm’ suggestion – I’m going to try it today. I have tried countless times to prepare steel cut oatmeal in my slow cooker and it has never turned out right.

5. Thank you again for the ‘warm’ tip – I just tried it and it worked beautifully! I am so happy!

3. I will try this next weekend. I’ve only attempted oats in a slow cooker once (actually, my only time trying anything in a slow cooker!) and it turned out terribly! The oats burned and it was entirely inedible. I’ve seen so many great recipes using slow cooked oats though so thanks for inspiring me to give it another shot!

4. S says:

This looks so fluffy and thick – delicious!

5. I love slow cooker recipes! They are so easy and the longer the food cooks, the better it tastes! My grandmother on my dads side was an amazing cook. I remember getting excited to go to her house because she always made some yummy chocolate chip cookies for us.

6. Love a yummy bowl of steel-cut oats! I will defintely try this, as it would be great to have them prepared for the week. My grandmother was Italian too! She made some of the best meals. I especially loved her spaghetti and meatballs.

7. Anonymous says:

oh, I’m Polish too! you should try cabbage rolls – they originally call for meat, but the stuffing can be easily made with rice, buckwheat, quinoa etc. combined with vegetables, and put them into some creamy tomato sauce, it’s so delicious!

8. Tatyana says:

I love vegan eats, but how is real pasta vegan? It is flour, salt, water and EGGS!
    Do you have a vegan equally good recipe to share?

1. Tatyana says:

Sorry, make my own pasta at home, did not realize that most store bought pasta is actually vegan. Good to know :)

9. Kelly says:

Check out my recipe for PUMPKIN steel cut oats in the slow cooker, complete with cranberries & pecans :) http://kellyshealthykitchen.wordpress.com/2012/11/08/slow-cooker-pumpkin-steel-cut-oatmeal/

10. Why is it that all Grandpa’s get up so early…mine was exactly the same!! Oh, now I remember…it’s because they spend all afternoon snoozing in the armchair. :-)

Do you know if you can make a big batch of oats this way and chill for subsequent days?

11. carolyn says:

Could this be done using rolled oats? I have no steel cut.
    And thanks for this idea :)
    I ate vegan last night in your honor!

1. I’m sure you can make rolled oats in a crock pot, but I’ve never actually done it.

1. Jana says:

If you use rolled oats, it might work but doesn’t need as much cooking time.

2. Dee Miller says:

I tried rolled oats in the crock pot and they were a terrible mushy mess and I had to throw them out. It only takes 5 minutes on the stove top if you want rolled oats.

12. Robyn says:

Can I add more liquid and cook it longer? I would like to put it in the night before so that it’s ready when I wake up. If it only takes 3 hours, I would have to get up in the middle of the night to start it. Advice, please! :)

I can’t wait to try the almond joy oatmeal. YUM!!

1. Sorry, I haven’t tried so I really have no idea.

1. Emma says:

You could try getting a timer that plugs into the wall (the kind to set lights to turn on and off etc) from any hardware store or probably Target/BB&B.
        Set it to go on three hours before you wake up. Set up the crock pot the night before and plug it into the timer (that is plugged in to the socket). It will stay off until the timer turns it on (three hours before yo wake up). Problem solved?
        You might have to add a little more liquid though.

2. Aimee says:

I use the 3cups water to 1 cup oats ratio ecipe, but I use whole oat groats, and cook overnight. Turn crockpot on low as late as possiblt and its perfect in the morning. However, so that I don’t hvae to clean my crockpot in the morning I put the 3cups water & 1cup whole oat groats in a glass bowl, then put the glass bowl IN the crockpot, with plenty of water in the crockpot but outside of the glass bowl (does that make sense? water in crockpot then oats with 3C water & 1 C oat groats in glass bowl, placed in the water which is already in the crockpot). Then in the morning there is beautiful oats and for clean-up, the glass bowl can go in the dishwasher ot whatever you like. If the oats get too goey then add ice cubes to the water ouside the glass bowl, OR add frozen strawberries or cherries to the oat groat mixture before you turn on the crockpot for the night. So good, with less clean-up & breakfast is ready when you get up in the morning!

3. I have done it the night before and let it cook all night….it works fine i add a lil more liquids not much more just have problems with it stickn to the crockpot!

1. Annie says:

I spray the crock pot with butter flavored pam. it works really well. no more sticky pot.

2. Angela says:

Or use bowl inside. Then you can just take that smaller bowl out at the end and use it to store left overs in the fridge.

13. Chrissy says:

My grandma is actually the antithesis of the typical sweet old grandmother. She likes to smoke and drink, curses like a trucker (especially when she’s watching football, which is always), hates bingo, and can’t cook to save her life. The worst food I have ever tasted, she made it.

1. Ster says:

That’s hilarious, made my day.

2. Anonymous says:

Love the story of your grandmother

14. Lacy says:

You can also start it before you go to sleep if you turn the slow cooker to ‘keep warm’ NOT low or it will burn. I’ve done it a couple of times and it has been sticky on the bottom once or twice after about 8 hours but mostly great and still edible. I imagine if you sleep less than 8 hours it would probably be good whenever you do wake up.

15. Hahahahahahahaha oh no no, my grandmother is not a cook. She actually had someone cook while my mom was growing up AND she had Thanksgiving catered every year. She’s gotten more into it now that it’s just her and my step-grandfather, but it’s definitely not her thing.

16. Hollie says:

Sounds yummy! When I was growing up and spent the night at my grandma’s house, we didn’t have oatmeal but instead enjoyed a mix of 4 or 5 different cereals in a bowl! We never had cereal at home, so mixing typical grandm cereals like shredded wheat squares and oat bran was a special treat! My grandma did make the best turkey soup, which is saying a lot because I refused to eat meat when I was growing up and it was the only way I would get anywhere near turkey! She also made the worst cookies, always over- or underbaked, and yet somehow, because they were made by grandma, they were delicious!

17. Monica says:

I was actually just reminiscing with my mom yesterday about how my grandma made the best frozen waffles growing up. Somehow she toasted it perfectly and put the exact right amount of butter and syrup to make them so delicious. She was definitely a good cook. She passed down some delicious recipes to my mom. My grandpa and grandma loved baking together, though. We have yet to attempt chocolate zucchini cake since grandma passed away…she had the best recipe.

18. Andrea says:

OOoo YUM! I think I might do this tomorrow! Both of my Grandmas were great cooks! One of them made a cake out of mayo, she called it depression cake, it is the best darn cake EVER! my other grandma used to made red velvet cupcakes but last year when she made them her taster was off and they were really bad :(

19. Misty says:

This is my favorite breakfast. I make mine same as you but add 1/4 cup of Red River cereal and prepackage and freeze for breakfasts all week (just be sure to get out the night before or it takes forever to reheat). I like mine with apples, cinnamon, dried fruit and toasted almonds. Super yummy

20. bryanna says:

Hey! This looks great, and I love the variations. I’ve seen several recipes for crock-pot oatmeal, and they all use steel cut oats– Can one use old fashioned? I know it’s crazy– but I just don’t like steel cut much. Thanks for the recipes! :)

1. I’m sure you can, but I don’t have a recipe for it because I haven’t tried it. So I can’t advise on times or liquid amounts.

21. Mary K says:

Hi Katie, love this! Now that Sugar Cookie Tea is back in the stores, I think I’ll use your recipe for Sugar Cookie Oatmeal and steep a couple of packets of tea in my milk (almond) then cook off for Sugar Cookie Crock Pot Oatmeal! Whew…Now THAT’S a name! Oh, and I absolutely LOVE your blog!

22. I love oatmeal in a crockpot. I make it the night before and it comes out so good. Otherwise it takes so long to make if you have to make it in the morning. Can’t wait to try some of your suggestions of ingredients.

23. Alan says:

Hello,

I was wondering if you could say about how much a 1/4 cup steel cut oats makes and how much liquid you use to get to that amount. I know 1/4 cup Raw is a serving but mine doesn’t say how much that make. Thanks for any thoughts/tips

1. Amber says:

When I make 1/4 cup steel cut with a cup of almond milk and a tablespoon of cocoa, I end up with 1 cup cooked, maybe a couple spoons under. When I add 1/4 pumpkin instead of the cocoa I geta little more than a cup, but I haven’t measured it exactly.

1. Alan says:

Gotcha, so it really cooks up. Do you cook that for about 20 minutes at simmer on the stove top?

2. Amber says:

around that, i cook it until it is thick and creamy.

3. Alan says:

Thanks!

24. Andie says:

This looks so incredibly delicious!! Next weekend after midterms, I shall be in the kitchen, baking/cooking every vegan recipe on this blog that I’ve been wanting to bake for a while! (Ok, maybe not every recipe, cuz that would be a LOT, since CCK’s recipes are always amazing! Lol.)

Also, one quick question…this is definitely random (again) but what’s the best way you like to make protein smoothies with protein powder? (I have spirutein cookies and cream, and they say to just mix in in almond milk and not use a blender…but do you usually use a blender?)

25. I have exactly the same feelings about steel cut oats! And belgian waffles (those were made for special occasions).

I don’t have $ or room for slow cooker in NYC but I just started working part time at a cafe where we do steel cut oats in the slow cooker every night. I’ve been bringing home extra for the next day. And I froze a bunch of servings too! No more spending $ of TJ’s frozen oats.

Something so comforting about irish oats!!

1. This is interesting to me… do you leave the oats in the slow cooker on low all night? I would love to try is overnight, but I usually sleep longer than 3 hours 😀

1. Mary K says:

I have definitely done steel cut oats cooked on WARM all night long. I use a 1.5 quart slow cooker. Perfect every time.

2. Thanks Mary!! That’s so helpful!

26. Hi Katie!

I recently discovered your blog but have yet to comment…Since oatmeal is one of my FAVORITE foods (as evidenced by my oatmeal-dominated recipe board on Pinterest), I thought this would be the perfect opportunity! This morning I added fresh strawberries, shredded coconut, cinnamon, and dates to my oatmeal, and it was pretty fab. I’m also a fan of adding PB & J to my oats, along with some banana to get the awesome PB/banana combo. I’ll have to try your “Mounds Bar” idea sometime…I’ve never put chocolate in my oatmeal, but after seeing your many delicious chocolate oatmeal recipes, I may finally have to take the plunge!

27. lzdg says:

I have been searching for the easiest slow cook oatmeal for a few weeks. I put my portions in mason jars and add a little milk each morning so I can eat a quick bowl of oatmeal at work.

28. Hannah says:

Hey Katie! It was really funny to see that you’re part Polish, as my grandfather was 100% Polish, so I’m 1/4!! I wish I were part Italian, but I’m not…lucky you. :) Both my grandparents make amazing food (my paternal grandparents I never really know).

29. My grandpa makes amazing pasta! And waffles… and oatmeal. But the last time I had oatmeal there, I didn’t like it because I added all these things that I didn’t like, thinking that I might like it! But I didn’t. :( However, I do normally like oatmeal! :)

30. Emilia says:

Love this post, short and sweet! I’m usually not into steel cut oats simply because of how long they take, but I’ll definitely be trying this recipe out. Your photos are gorgeous (and all the variations look spectacular as well). :)

31. Yummy! Too bad I don’t have a slow cooker…

32. Oatmeal is so filling and who doesn’t want something hot on those cold mornings!

33. Ed says:

Awesome this is waayy easier than the last time i made steel cut oats…may even try this tonight for breakfast tomorrow!

34. I never made oatmeal in a crockpot, but I do love to make a big batch of it on Sunday’s and then heat and eat throughout the week! Nothing more comforting this time of year then oatmeal!

35. This will put my slow cooker collection to good use :) I love oatmeal! Thanks for posting the size crock pot – that always helps!

36. IC says:

It’s so funny you posted this… I recently rediscovered a mini crockpot that I have been using copiously the last few weeks. Since I’m lazy I just fill it with whatever amount of water, throw in the amount of steel cut oats (after rinsing) that I’ll be having for breakfast, and head off for a run or to the gym. By the time I’m ready to eat I just drain, customize and eat :)
    I’ve been doing the same with quinoa, kamut, wheatberries, etc. I used to be so anti-crockpot (not a big fan of stews) but now I’m obsessed :)

37. Renee Allen says:

I make my oatmeal in my rice cooker. Same walk away principle, but it only takes about 20 minutes. It’s wonderful for cracked wheat, too. Thanks for all of your oatmeal recipes!

38. Gabrielle says:

Hi Katie!

I produce a nationally-syndicated radio program called “Zorba Paster on Your Health”. I don’t know when your cookbook is scheduled to come out, but when the date approaches, I’d love to have you feature a recipe on our program!

Dr. Zorba loves to find new healthy recipes that actually taste good, and I can think of noone better to share a great dessert recipe with our listeners than yourself!

If you’re interested, please shoot me an e-mail at gabrielle.pedriani@wpr.org.

Thanks!

-Gabrielle

39. This is making me realize I need to get a slow cooker again. I had one for a while way back when I was in college and it was great, I just wasn’t always the best at thinking ahead. But waking up to warm slow cooker oats would be fabulous. With the other 3 servings, would you just cover them and keep in the fridge or would they not last that long?

40. Melissa says:

Per Alton Brown, I do this on low for 8 hours so I can start it before I go to bed and have breakfast ready to go. More than 8 hours burns, though. I do a huge batch and reheat the leftovers (or my 3 yr old eats the leftovers cold – on that note, the leftovers gel up a bit and are easier for the little one to eat than the fresh hot goodness). Mmmm, I’m putting this on tonight. Little boy was in oatmeal mode last week and I kept making due with rolled oats due to the slow cooker being in use for broth.

41. Robin says:

I envy you your Italian grandma… Mine was the worst cook in the world somehow! But my Lithuanian grandma was an amazing cook. She made the best halupki (galumpki to you Polish)! And there were these cookies.. crunchy/chewy chocolate on the outside, peanut butter cream on the inside. Not like a sandwich cookie, somehow the pb was just in there! Like a chocolate cookie cream puff (she also made the best cream puffs, and gobs…) The two of you would have gotten along 😀

42. Angelica says:

Hi Katie! I’m a 17-year old vegan from Sweden and I have to say; I LOVE YOUR BLOG.
    – It’s amazing.
    However, I have one request, could you make a healthy vegan saffron bun recipe?
    on the 13th of December us Swedes celebrate the Italian Saint Lucia. One mandatory constituent in the celebrations is a saffron-flavoured bun, in Swedish called a lussekatt, a “Lucia cat”, basically. And I would just love it if you could adapt a vegan variation of these, I always have major difficulties with these and it would mean the world to me!

43. lil deli says:

It sounds so wholesome and happy! I’ve never thought of putting butter in oats, sounds good to me!

44. This reminds me of my old roommate, who made oatmeal in her mini slow cooker every single night before bed! It smelled amazing in the morning :)

45. Melissa says:

I have to say, neither of my grandmothers are especially good cooks! My maternal grandmother is okay – she can cook an edible and delicious meal. She’s just never been fancy about it. Everything is pretty straight-up. My paternal grandmother…she should be banned from the kitchen. I love her to pieces but she cannot cook.

But there must be a cooking gene somewhere in my family because I have aunts on both sides who are amazing cooks! I caught the bug and I love to cook. :-)

46. I love breakfast. Oatmeal is a meal that never gets old. I love banana and cinnamon with almond milk

47. Emily says:

Thanks for another recipe! I go to my grandmas house for dinner every night and they always prepare 5 large dishes for the 4 of us. I believe my grandma is the best Chinese cook ever!(don’t we all think or grans are best?).
    My grandpa helps sometimes but hes the one who sneaks snacks into my pockets all the time

48. Laura says:

My grandparents were never really cooks per se… They can, they just didn’t very much. One of my grandmothers makes beef stew every now and again when we’re over, and one grandpa made bacon all the time. My other grandma used to have store-bought cookie dough always in the fridge for us to make if we wanted to. I’m pretty much the only cook in the family though.

I usually don’t like oatmeal, but I tried your baked oatmeal and liked it, so maybe I’ll try it again.

49. IC says:

You know what’s really good, make the oatmeal as outlined by Katie. Put it in a baking dish, mix in some raspberries or strawberries, sweeten to your taste, sprinkle some coconut flakes and then broil so the coconut gets toasted. So yummy!!!!

50. Lia says:

Hahahaha, I like your Italian Gma! I didn’t really know my grandmothers due to age of death, but I had a good family friend who I announced was my adopted grandmother, and she was a back country woman. She made the best venison dishes, ribs, smoked anything, and pancakes with real fresh bacon. I loved it as a kid, but now I just enjoy the memories associated, asI ‘m vegan now too. She was convinced I’d grow out of this phase.

51. Kelly says:

Hey is it weird if I suggest you should make passion fruit oatmeal?

52. danette says:

I make oatmeal in my rice cooker. I put the oats in with water/milk at night, set the timer for when I wake up and I have nice hot oatmeal.

53. Love hearing about your grandparents and some of the comments are so funny. My Nana prefers a whiskey, according to my dad she was too busy enjoying free love in the sixties & seventies and never cooked more than a fish finger. We love her but boy do we all pray she doesn’t cook when she visits. Her mum, my Great Nana was the best baker I’ve ever had the pleasure to know.

54. laura says:

WOW. ive tried so many way to cook steel cut oats. I did mine with 4 cups water one cup oats. Perfect in 3 hours. So creamy i cant believe it. so much better than recipe on the can. thank you

55. Andrea says:

Katie- Your recipes are really innovative and unique, I’ve gotten countless of recipes that I use weekly from your blog- including OATMEAL! Your blog has inspired me to start my own blog. It started as a classroom blog but I wanted to include recipes and workouts. I’ve included a link to yours on my blogroll. If you checked it out that would be awesome! Thanks for all the recipes!

1. Thanks Andrea. I am off to check it out :).

56. I love Almond Joy style oats with unsweetened shredded coconut + dark chocolate chips + almonds :) I’ve heard that oats in the slowcooker can get very messy and stick to the sides… Did you use a liner?

1. I didn’t… it didn’t stick, but maybe it depends on the particular machine you have. (Mine is very old!)

57. Marianne says:

I’ve always wanted to try making oatmeal in my slow cooker so I could have it throughout the week, but like a lot of things, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

And yes, my grandparents were good cooks – I loved my grandpa’s borscht and perogies, and my grandma’s Russian pies. Yum!

58. Sara says:

Just made this and it was a hit with the fam, thanks for you love for healthy food and being willing to share it with everyone else!

59. Renee says:

I already follow you all the time, get your posts everytime they go up, and follow you on the pinterest. However I just now googled ‘crock pot oatmeal’ and wanted you to know that your page came up first! PROP TO YOU!!!

60. Mark says:

Take the leftovers and jam them into a square or rectangle pan or dish. Refrigerate overnight. Then put a small amount of butter in the bottom of a fry pan, slice the oatmeal in 1/4 inch slices and fry in the pan until the outside is just a little crispy. Serve warm with just a touch of your favorite syrup. You will love it!

61. barbara says:

Yum, thanks for posting this. I’m trying banana nut tonight, since I had a couple of overripe bananas begging to be used. Since I usually have to get up during the night, I figure I’ll turn it on then. :-)

62. Trajayjay says:

My grandma does pancit, egg rolls, soo tan hoo (I don’t know how to spell that), and sticky rice.

63. Jory says:

Hi Katie! Great recipe and blog!

I was just wondering if it is OK if I adapt this Steel-Cut oats recipe for a school project, and use the picture you took of your oatmeal? I will credit you and link your website.

Let me know :)
    Thanks,
    Jory

64. Janelle says:

Hi Katie,

Love your recipes and always delight in the latest and greatest sweet and delicious treats. On that note I pinned something some time ago from your Pinterest page, the Oatmeal Breakfast Cupcakes. I am having trouble locating them now. Is the recipe still available?

Thanks!
    Janelle

65. Terry says:

I tried this recipe and it was amazing only problem was even on my low setting allot of the oats stuck to the pot.I will try the warm setting tonight.

1. Dutch says:

If you will spray your cooker with Baker’s Joy or other cooking spray, you won’t have so much stick…

66. Dutch says:

I’ve made a couple versions of this and it’s certainly my “Go To” Oatmeal recipe now! Thank you so much for posting this…

67. Fen says:

So glad I found your blog! I’ve been looking for more ways to use my slow cooker, and for more healthy (and easy) breakfast options; I will definitely be trying this out tomorrow morning!

68. Dutch says:

Thank you for your on-going efforts! I have been making the Oatmeal ever since you posted the recipe and shared it w/ friends. Seeing new recipes like this always makes me smile, as well as hungry!

69. Susan says:

This recipe sounds wonderful. It is the only one I’ve found recently that doesn’t totally overdo the carbs in the basic recipe. My husband and I are both looking forward to trying the mounds bar variation. I will have to add protein powder to up the protein – most likely chocolate for the mounds bar… Thank you for coming up with an oatmeal recipe I can actually use.

70. I wanted to ask u how do u get the oatmeal to NOT stick to the sides of the crockpot? Spray with PAM or what???/ Luv ur recipes by the way hehe!

1. cck friend says:

try cooking spray

71. Sammy says:

I love adding almond milk! I dont like using sugar-I use honey. I add 4 cloves, 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon, 1 tablespoon vanilla (Seams like a lot, it is the perfect amount)
    I used 10 cups of water, and 4 cups of old fashioned oats.
    I love your website, Katie!

72. Diane Boner`j says:

I tried the steel oats not to crazy about it Like the other better QUAKER OATS. Maybe I did something wrong Can I use Quaker Oats in stead of steel oats and use the slow cooker I have high or low could I use low?

73. Emily says:

Oatmeal!! Yesss!!! I wish I had time to make this :(
    Both my grandmothers are amazing cooks! However, what kind of food they make is completely bipolar. One is american-comfort style. The other is from south Korea. (Yum)

1. carrie says:

I have done the ”apple pie” version,the recipe I started with was 2 sliced apples,1/4 cup brown sugar,2 cups of oats,2 cups of milk and 2 cups of water,I put it on low for 8 hours and it never burns :) and my kids love it

74. Inge says:

Hi,
    It sounds great! I do have quit a big slow cooker so I was wondering how long you can keep this in the fridge after making it. That would make it very simple to have a nice breakfast for a few days…
    Now al I have to do is find steel-cut oats (for some reason here in holland there is only one company where you can buy steel-cut oats but only in 25 kilo – 55 pound- bags!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It lasts at least 4 days.

1. Susan says:

After being stored in the fridge It’s nice sliced,sprinkle brown sugar on top and grill. Apparently in my grandmothers day ( early 1900s) it was poured into a drawer lined with muslin,when needed they would slice some off and heat on top of the stove,it was their staple diet here in Scotland,I wonder what they would make of the fast food culture of today.

75. Susan says:

I am “granny McPhee”from Scotland,my grandson Euan paid me a braw compliment when he said the smell of mixed spice reminded him of me….awe

76. Susan says:

If you don’t have a crockpot,soak the oatmeal in chosen liquid overnight,it doesn’t take long to cook on stove top in the morning.

77. Pat says:

l love steel cut oatmeal but live alone and using the crockpot makes way too much for me. I found that I can make it first thing when I get up but only bring it to a boil and then put it in a wide-mouth thermos while I’m getting ready for work. After 20 to 30 minutes it is perfect!

78. Dawn Zellefrow says:

Do you have to use steel cut oats or can you use regular oat? not quick oats

1. I’ve only tried it with steel cut.

79. Jen says:

I just made this and it came out delicious, my boyfriend thought it was perfect. I know it will become a regular recipe : ). I added apples and cinnamon as suggested and then brown sugar to sweeten it a little more. Thanks for sharing your talent!

80. Anna says:

you can make a good pot of “porridge” (that’s what we call it in Canada!) in the rice cooker too – it does get a little crusty on the bottom if you don’t turn it off a few minutes early, but it still tastes great. Don’t fill it too full or it will boil over. 1 c oats/ 2 c. milk is about all a small rice cooker can handl.

81. Cassie says: