Crock Pot Oatmeal

Lately, my favorite breakfast is a giant bowl of creamy crock pot oatmeal, hot from the slow cooker.

Crock Pot Oatmeal - The easiest way to make oatmeal. Cook once, and have a delicious breakfast all week - (can do different flavors) http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/11/11/how-to-make-oatmeal-in-the-slow-cooker-the-easy-way/ @choccoveredkt

It brings back memories of visiting my grandparents’ house as a young girl. Grandpa believed steel-cut oats were the healthiest food you could eat, and he’d get up every morning at 5 AM to make sure that when we all awoke, a bowl of piping hot oatmeal—with melty butter and brown sugar—would be waiting for us.

Sometimes my sister and I tried to beat Grandpa into the kitchen. But no matter how early we snuck out of our beds, he was always two steps ahead of us, bowl of oatmeal in hand.

How to make oatmeal in the crock pot- the easy way.

Below is my basic crock pot oatmeal recipe. You can easily customize it for endless breakfast options.

pin-it

Crock Pot Oatmeal

Print This Recipe 5/5
5/52

Ingredients

• 3 cups water (or milk of choice, for a creamier and richer taste) (720g)
  • 1 cup steel-cut oats (160g)
  • 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • add-ins of choice (scroll further down on the post for ideas)
Total Time: 5h
Yield: Serves 4

Instructions

Slow Cooker Oatmeal Recipe: Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker or crock pot, put on the lid, and cook on low heat for three hours. No need to stir or anything until the time is up! (If you don’t own a slow cooker, you can of course still make steel-cut oatmeal. Just follow the cooking directions on the package of oats. I use a 3-quart slow cooker for this recipe; cooking times may vary if you use a much-larger size.) If you double the crock pot oatmeal recipe, cook for 5-6 hours on low. For crock pot oatmeal variation ideas, scroll further down this post.

View Crock Pot Oatmeal Nutrition Facts

Crock Pot Oatmeal - The EASY way to make oatmeal. Cook once, and have a delicious breakfast all week - (can do different flavors) http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/11/11/how-to-make-oatmeal-in-the-slow-cooker-the-easy-way/ @choccoveredkt

Variations:

• Cinnamon Raisin Crock Pot Oatmeal: add raisins before cooking. Stir in ground cinnamon and sweetener of choice (and butter-type spread if desired) after cooking.
  • Mounds Bar Oatmeal: add shredded coconut, sweetener, and chocolate chips after cooking. Use coconut milk when it calls for “milk of choice.” Slivered almonds optional.
  • Apple Pie Oatmeal: peel 2 small apples, chop, and add them to the uncooked ingredients along with 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp cinnamon or apple pie spice. After cooking, stir a butter-type spread and sweetener of choice (good choices for this variation include brown sugar or Sucanat or coconut brown sugar) into hot oats.
  • Peanut Butter & Jelly Oatmeal: stir 1-2 tbsp peanut butter and 1-2 tbsp jelly into each cooked serving of oatmeal. Pour some milk of choice (such as almond milk) over top just before serving. Everyone knows a pb&j is nothing without the glass of milk!

Link Of The Day:

chocolate oatmeal

Chocolate Oatmeal – 5 Minute Recipe

Are your grandparents good cooks?

Both of my grandmothers loved to cook. One was Polish, so her specialties included stuffed cabbage, pierogies, and potato pancakes. My other grandma is Italian, and cooking is one of her greatest joys. Luckily for me, much of what she makes is already vegan (such as a really good Pasta e Fagioli). And I’m teaching her new recipes as well. Most recently I taught her how to cook quinoa.

When I first told her I was going vegan, she worried… until she realized that spaghetti is vegan. Then she was totally on board! :)

Tags: , , , ,

1. This is a great idea! It sounds so easy and simple. I love putting rhubarb preserves and a dash of cinnamon in my oatmeal. It’s really good!

My grandma on my mom’s side is an excellent cook. She makes the best sugar cookies, hot turkey sandwiches, beef & noodles, and her hamburgers are to die for (that is if you eat meat)! She was born in Ohio so I’ve been raised on comfort food all my life.

2. Corey says:

This looks great, but what (quart) size slow-cooker did you use? Cooking times and results can vary if the wrong size is used. I came home to chicken charcoal once (and not in any good way) because my crock pot was too big for the recipe I used.

1. Thanks, Corey. I used a 3-quart crock pot. Post edited now.

1. Janet says:

I have the crock pot that has the WARM feature. Instead of setting it on a cook time I just set it on the WARM setting and let it WARM all night. Oatmeal turns out great.

1. mr piclkle says:

We have been using Bob’s Redmill instant. I am now going to convert to your idea, steel cut and leave on warm overnight.

2. Anonymous says:

Me too it works well on warm.

3. Thank you so much for this only using ‘warm’ suggestion – I’m going to try it today. I have tried countless times to prepare steel cut oatmeal in my slow cooker and it has never turned out right.

1. Thank you again for the ‘warm’ tip – I just tried it and it worked beautifully! I am so happy!

3. I will try this next weekend. I’ve only attempted oats in a slow cooker once (actually, my only time trying anything in a slow cooker!) and it turned out terribly! The oats burned and it was entirely inedible. I’ve seen so many great recipes using slow cooked oats though so thanks for inspiring me to give it another shot!

4. S says:

This looks so fluffy and thick – delicious!

5. I love slow cooker recipes! They are so easy and the longer the food cooks, the better it tastes! My grandmother on my dads side was an amazing cook. I remember getting excited to go to her house because she always made some yummy chocolate chip cookies for us.

6. Love a yummy bowl of steel-cut oats! I will defintely try this, as it would be great to have them prepared for the week. My grandmother was Italian too! She made some of the best meals. I especially loved her spaghetti and meatballs.

7. Anonymous says:

oh, I’m Polish too! you should try cabbage rolls – they originally call for meat, but the stuffing can be easily made with rice, buckwheat, quinoa etc. combined with vegetables, and put them into some creamy tomato sauce, it’s so delicious!

8. Tatyana says:

I love vegan eats, but how is real pasta vegan? It is flour, salt, water and EGGS!
    Do you have a vegan equally good recipe to share?

1. Tatyana says:

Sorry, make my own pasta at home, did not realize that most store bought pasta is actually vegan. Good to know :)

9. Kelly says:

Check out my recipe for PUMPKIN steel cut oats in the slow cooker, complete with cranberries & pecans :) http://kellyshealthykitchen.wordpress.com/2012/11/08/slow-cooker-pumpkin-steel-cut-oatmeal/

10. Why is it that all Grandpa’s get up so early…mine was exactly the same!! Oh, now I remember…it’s because they spend all afternoon snoozing in the armchair. :-)

Do you know if you can make a big batch of oats this way and chill for subsequent days?

11. carolyn says:

Could this be done using rolled oats? I have no steel cut.
    And thanks for this idea :)
    I ate vegan last night in your honor!

1. I’m sure you can make rolled oats in a crock pot, but I’ve never actually done it.

1. Jana says:

If you use rolled oats, it might work but doesn’t need as much cooking time.

2. Dee Miller says:

I tried rolled oats in the crock pot and they were a terrible mushy mess and I had to throw them out. It only takes 5 minutes on the stove top if you want rolled oats.

12. Robyn says:

Can I add more liquid and cook it longer? I would like to put it in the night before so that it’s ready when I wake up. If it only takes 3 hours, I would have to get up in the middle of the night to start it. Advice, please! :)

I can’t wait to try the almond joy oatmeal. YUM!!

1. Sorry, I haven’t tried so I really have no idea.

1. Emma says:

You could try getting a timer that plugs into the wall (the kind to set lights to turn on and off etc) from any hardware store or probably Target/BB&B.
        Set it to go on three hours before you wake up. Set up the crock pot the night before and plug it into the timer (that is plugged in to the socket). It will stay off until the timer turns it on (three hours before yo wake up). Problem solved?
        You might have to add a little more liquid though.

2. Aimee says:

I use the 3cups water to 1 cup oats ratio ecipe, but I use whole oat groats, and cook overnight. Turn crockpot on low as late as possiblt and its perfect in the morning. However, so that I don’t hvae to clean my crockpot in the morning I put the 3cups water & 1cup whole oat groats in a glass bowl, then put the glass bowl IN the crockpot, with plenty of water in the crockpot but outside of the glass bowl (does that make sense? water in crockpot then oats with 3C water & 1 C oat groats in glass bowl, placed in the water which is already in the crockpot). Then in the morning there is beautiful oats and for clean-up, the glass bowl can go in the dishwasher ot whatever you like. If the oats get too goey then add ice cubes to the water ouside the glass bowl, OR add frozen strawberries or cherries to the oat groat mixture before you turn on the crockpot for the night. So good, with less clean-up & breakfast is ready when you get up in the morning!

3. I have done it the night before and let it cook all night….it works fine i add a lil more liquids not much more just have problems with it stickn to the crockpot!

1. Annie says:

I spray the crock pot with butter flavored pam. it works really well. no more sticky pot.

2. Angela says:

Or use bowl inside. Then you can just take that smaller bowl out at the end and use it to store left overs in the fridge.

13. Chrissy says:

My grandma is actually the antithesis of the typical sweet old grandmother. She likes to smoke and drink, curses like a trucker (especially when she’s watching football, which is always), hates bingo, and can’t cook to save her life. The worst food I have ever tasted, she made it.

1. Ster says:

That’s hilarious, made my day.

2. Anonymous says:

Love the story of your grandmother

14. Lacy says:

You can also start it before you go to sleep if you turn the slow cooker to ‘keep warm’ NOT low or it will burn. I’ve done it a couple of times and it has been sticky on the bottom once or twice after about 8 hours but mostly great and still edible. I imagine if you sleep less than 8 hours it would probably be good whenever you do wake up.

15. Hahahahahahahaha oh no no, my grandmother is not a cook. She actually had someone cook while my mom was growing up AND she had Thanksgiving catered every year. She’s gotten more into it now that it’s just her and my step-grandfather, but it’s definitely not her thing.

16. Hollie says:

Sounds yummy! When I was growing up and spent the night at my grandma’s house, we didn’t have oatmeal but instead enjoyed a mix of 4 or 5 different cereals in a bowl! We never had cereal at home, so mixing typical grandm cereals like shredded wheat squares and oat bran was a special treat! My grandma did make the best turkey soup, which is saying a lot because I refused to eat meat when I was growing up and it was the only way I would get anywhere near turkey! She also made the worst cookies, always over- or underbaked, and yet somehow, because they were made by grandma, they were delicious!

17. Monica says:

I was actually just reminiscing with my mom yesterday about how my grandma made the best frozen waffles growing up. Somehow she toasted it perfectly and put the exact right amount of butter and syrup to make them so delicious. She was definitely a good cook. She passed down some delicious recipes to my mom. My grandpa and grandma loved baking together, though. We have yet to attempt chocolate zucchini cake since grandma passed away…she had the best recipe.

18. Andrea says:

OOoo YUM! I think I might do this tomorrow! Both of my Grandmas were great cooks! One of them made a cake out of mayo, she called it depression cake, it is the best darn cake EVER! my other grandma used to made red velvet cupcakes but last year when she made them her taster was off and they were really bad :(

19. Misty says:

This is my favorite breakfast. I make mine same as you but add 1/4 cup of Red River cereal and prepackage and freeze for breakfasts all week (just be sure to get out the night before or it takes forever to reheat). I like mine with apples, cinnamon, dried fruit and toasted almonds. Super yummy

20. bryanna says:

Hey! This looks great, and I love the variations. I’ve seen several recipes for crock-pot oatmeal, and they all use steel cut oats– Can one use old fashioned? I know it’s crazy– but I just don’t like steel cut much. Thanks for the recipes! :)

1. I’m sure you can, but I don’t have a recipe for it because I haven’t tried it. So I can’t advise on times or liquid amounts.