Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Crock Pot Oatmeal

Lately, my favorite breakfast is a giant bowl of creamy crock pot oatmeal, hot from the slow cooker.

Crock Pot Oatmeal - The easiest way to make oatmeal. Cook once, and have a delicious breakfast all week - (can do different flavors) https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/11/11/how-to-make-oatmeal-in-the-slow-cooker-the-easy-way/ @choccoveredkt

It brings back memories of visiting my grandparents’ house as a young girl. Grandpa believed steel-cut oats were the healthiest food you could eat, and he’d get up every morning at 5 AM to make sure that when we all awoke, a bowl of piping hot oatmeal—with melty butter and brown sugar—would be waiting for us.

Sometimes my sister and I tried to beat Grandpa into the kitchen. But no matter how early we snuck out of our beds, he was always two steps ahead of us, bowl of oatmeal in hand.

How to make oatmeal in the crock pot- the easy way.

Below is my basic crock pot oatmeal recipe. You can easily customize it for endless breakfast options.

pin-it

Crock Pot Oatmeal

Crock Pot Oatmeal

Total Time: 5h
Yield: Serves 4
Print This Recipe 5/5
Crock Pot Oatmeal
5/52

Ingredients

• 3 cups water (or milk of choice, for a creamier and richer taste) (720g)
  • 1 cup steel-cut oats (160g)
  • 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • add-ins of choice (scroll further down on the post for ideas)

Instructions

Slow Cooker Oatmeal Recipe: Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker or crock pot, put on the lid, and cook on low heat for three hours. No need to stir or anything until the time is up! (If you don’t own a slow cooker, you can of course still make steel-cut oatmeal. Just follow the cooking directions on the package of oats. I use a 3-quart slow cooker for this recipe; cooking times may vary if you use a much-larger size.) If you double the crock pot oatmeal recipe, cook for 5-6 hours on low. For crock pot oatmeal variation ideas, scroll further down this post.

View Crock Pot Oatmeal Nutrition Facts

Crock Pot Oatmeal - The EASY way to make oatmeal. Cook once, and have a delicious breakfast all week - (can do different flavors) https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/11/11/how-to-make-oatmeal-in-the-slow-cooker-the-easy-way/ @choccoveredkt

Variations:

• Cinnamon Raisin Crock Pot Oatmeal: add raisins before cooking. Stir in ground cinnamon and sweetener of choice (and butter-type spread if desired) after cooking.
  • Mounds Bar Oatmeal: add shredded coconut, sweetener, and chocolate chips after cooking. Use coconut milk when it calls for “milk of choice.” Slivered almonds optional.
  • Apple Pie Oatmeal: peel 2 small apples, chop, and add them to the uncooked ingredients along with 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp cinnamon or apple pie spice. After cooking, stir a butter-type spread and sweetener of choice (good choices for this variation include brown sugar or Sucanat or coconut brown sugar) into hot oats.
  • Peanut Butter & Jelly Oatmeal: stir 1-2 tbsp peanut butter and 1-2 tbsp jelly into each cooked serving of oatmeal. Pour some milk of choice (such as almond milk) over top just before serving. Everyone knows a pb&j is nothing without the glass of milk!

Link Of The Day:

chocolate oatmeal

Chocolate Oatmeal – 5 Minute Recipe

Are your grandparents good cooks?

Both of my grandmothers loved to cook. One was Polish, so her specialties included stuffed cabbage, pierogies, and potato pancakes. My other grandma is Italian, and cooking is one of her greatest joys. Luckily for me, much of what she makes is already vegan (such as a really good Pasta e Fagioli). And I’m teaching her new recipes as well. Most recently I taught her how to cook quinoa.

When I first told her I was going vegan, she worried… until she realized that spaghetti is vegan. Then she was totally on board! 🙂

5/5 (2)

Published on November 11, 2012

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

126 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Emilia says

Love this post, short and sweet! I’m usually not into steel cut oats simply because of how long they take, but I’ll definitely be trying this recipe out. Your photos are gorgeous (and all the variations look spectacular as well). 🙂

2. IC says

It’s so funny you posted this… I recently rediscovered a mini crockpot that I have been using copiously the last few weeks. Since I’m lazy I just fill it with whatever amount of water, throw in the amount of steel cut oats (after rinsing) that I’ll be having for breakfast, and head off for a run or to the gym. By the time I’m ready to eat I just drain, customize and eat 🙂
    I’ve been doing the same with quinoa, kamut, wheatberries, etc. I used to be so anti-crockpot (not a big fan of stews) but now I’m obsessed 🙂

3. Gabrielle says

Hi Katie!

I produce a nationally-syndicated radio program called “Zorba Paster on Your Health”. I don’t know when your cookbook is scheduled to come out, but when the date approaches, I’d love to have you feature a recipe on our program!

Dr. Zorba loves to find new healthy recipes that actually taste good, and I can think of noone better to share a great dessert recipe with our listeners than yourself!

If you’re interested, please shoot me an e-mail at [email protected].

Thanks!

-Gabrielle

4. Anna @ The Guiltless Life says

This is making me realize I need to get a slow cooker again. I had one for a while way back when I was in college and it was great, I just wasn’t always the best at thinking ahead. But waking up to warm slow cooker oats would be fabulous. With the other 3 servings, would you just cover them and keep in the fridge or would they not last that long?

5. Melissa says

Per Alton Brown, I do this on low for 8 hours so I can start it before I go to bed and have breakfast ready to go. More than 8 hours burns, though. I do a huge batch and reheat the leftovers (or my 3 yr old eats the leftovers cold – on that note, the leftovers gel up a bit and are easier for the little one to eat than the fresh hot goodness). Mmmm, I’m putting this on tonight. Little boy was in oatmeal mode last week and I kept making due with rolled oats due to the slow cooker being in use for broth.

6. Robin says

I envy you your Italian grandma… Mine was the worst cook in the world somehow! But my Lithuanian grandma was an amazing cook. She made the best halupki (galumpki to you Polish)! And there were these cookies.. crunchy/chewy chocolate on the outside, peanut butter cream on the inside. Not like a sandwich cookie, somehow the pb was just in there! Like a chocolate cookie cream puff (she also made the best cream puffs, and gobs…) The two of you would have gotten along 😀

7. Angelica says

Hi Katie! I’m a 17-year old vegan from Sweden and I have to say; I LOVE YOUR BLOG.
    – It’s amazing.
    However, I have one request, could you make a healthy vegan saffron bun recipe?
    on the 13th of December us Swedes celebrate the Italian Saint Lucia. One mandatory constituent in the celebrations is a saffron-flavoured bun, in Swedish called a lussekatt, a “Lucia cat”, basically. And I would just love it if you could adapt a vegan variation of these, I always have major difficulties with these and it would mean the world to me!

8. Emily says

Thanks for another recipe! I go to my grandmas house for dinner every night and they always prepare 5 large dishes for the 4 of us. I believe my grandma is the best Chinese cook ever!(don’t we all think or grans are best?).
    My grandpa helps sometimes but hes the one who sneaks snacks into my pockets all the time

9. Renee Allen says

I make my oatmeal in my rice cooker. Same walk away principle, but it only takes about 20 minutes. It’s wonderful for cracked wheat, too. Thanks for all of your oatmeal recipes!

10. Laura says

My grandparents were never really cooks per se… They can, they just didn’t very much. One of my grandmothers makes beef stew every now and again when we’re over, and one grandpa made bacon all the time. My other grandma used to have store-bought cookie dough always in the fridge for us to make if we wanted to. I’m pretty much the only cook in the family though.

I usually don’t like oatmeal, but I tried your baked oatmeal and liked it, so maybe I’ll try it again.

11. Melissa says

I have to say, neither of my grandmothers are especially good cooks! My maternal grandmother is okay – she can cook an edible and delicious meal. She’s just never been fancy about it. Everything is pretty straight-up. My paternal grandmother…she should be banned from the kitchen. I love her to pieces but she cannot cook.

But there must be a cooking gene somewhere in my family because I have aunts on both sides who are amazing cooks! I caught the bug and I love to cook. 🙂

12. IC says

You know what’s really good, make the oatmeal as outlined by Katie. Put it in a baking dish, mix in some raspberries or strawberries, sweeten to your taste, sprinkle some coconut flakes and then broil so the coconut gets toasted. So yummy!!!!

13. Lia says

Hahahaha, I like your Italian Gma! I didn’t really know my grandmothers due to age of death, but I had a good family friend who I announced was my adopted grandmother, and she was a back country woman. She made the best venison dishes, ribs, smoked anything, and pancakes with real fresh bacon. I loved it as a kid, but now I just enjoy the memories associated, asI ‘m vegan now too. She was convinced I’d grow out of this phase.

14. danette says

I make oatmeal in my rice cooker. I put the oats in with water/milk at night, set the timer for when I wake up and I have nice hot oatmeal.

15. Sally - only gluten free baking says

Love hearing about your grandparents and some of the comments are so funny. My Nana prefers a whiskey, according to my dad she was too busy enjoying free love in the sixties & seventies and never cooked more than a fish finger. We love her but boy do we all pray she doesn’t cook when she visits. Her mum, my Great Nana was the best baker I’ve ever had the pleasure to know.

16. laura says

WOW. ive tried so many way to cook steel cut oats. I did mine with 4 cups water one cup oats. Perfect in 3 hours. So creamy i cant believe it. so much better than recipe on the can. thank you

17. Andrea says

Katie- Your recipes are really innovative and unique, I’ve gotten countless of recipes that I use weekly from your blog- including OATMEAL! Your blog has inspired me to start my own blog. It started as a classroom blog but I wanted to include recipes and workouts. I’ve included a link to yours on my blogroll. If you checked it out that would be awesome! Thanks for all the recipes!

18. Life's a Bowl says

I love Almond Joy style oats with unsweetened shredded coconut + dark chocolate chips + almonds 🙂 I’ve heard that oats in the slowcooker can get very messy and stick to the sides… Did you use a liner?

19. Marianne says

I’ve always wanted to try making oatmeal in my slow cooker so I could have it throughout the week, but like a lot of things, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

And yes, my grandparents were good cooks – I loved my grandpa’s borscht and perogies, and my grandma’s Russian pies. Yum!

20. Sara says

Just made this and it was a hit with the fam, thanks for you love for healthy food and being willing to share it with everyone else!