1 Million Dollar Vegetable Stew

If you are a veggie lover, this recipe is for you!

Why not try out a healthy dinner tonight, with this delicious and hearty vegetable stew, bursting with essential vitamins, protein, fiber, and antioxidants? Healthy eating never tasted so good! Find the recipe here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/01/04/1-million-vegetables-lentil-stew/

Lentil stew with a million vegetables in it!

This is one of those recipes where you feel super healthy and full of energy when you’re done eating, not the slightest bit sluggish or weighed down. It’s perfect for starting the new year off on a healthy foot… especially if your new year’s resolution is to eat more veggies.

The stew has a million of them, remember?

1 Million Vegetable Stew: for veggie lovers only!

Eh, close enough. Winking smile

A few days before Christmas, I stocked up on a million veggies (with an emphasis on mushrooms) from the Asian market, and this stew was a way to use them all up! The recipe is adapted from a lentil tagine recipe found in The Whole Foods Cookbook, and it’s the same lentil-veggie stew pictured in the post about what I ate for Christmas dinner.

healthy lentil vegetable stew.

Try out a super healthy dinner - from @choccoveredkt… Delicious and hearty vegetable stew, bursting with essential vitamins, protein, fiber, and antioxidants. Makes a big batch, and leftovers freeze well. Full recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/01/04/1-million-vegetables-lentil-stew/

pin-it

“1 Million Dollar” Vegetable Stew

(with an option for slow-cooker lentil stew)

• 1.5 cups onion, chopped (190g)
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic (15g)
  • 3 tbsp olive oil (If desired, you can get away with 1 tbsp. Technically you can omit; it will just be better and more flavorful with the oil)
  • 1 1/2 cups bell peppers, sliced or diced (350g)
  • 4-6 carrots, sliced (95g)
  • 1 cup celery, chopped (140g)
  • 6 cups sliced mushrooms (Any variety will do; feel free to mix and match. I used 300g button mushrooms, 150g portabellas, and 350g shiitakes)
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar (30g)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste (30g)
  • 2 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 1/3 cup dry lentils (200g) (See nutrition link below for all substitution notes)
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock (360g)
  • 2 15oz cans diced tomatoes (I used regular, not unsalted.)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 5oz box raw spinach
  • 1 1/2 tbsp grated lemon zest (important)

Heat a large saucepan, then add the oil and onion. Sauté 5 minutes, until onions begin to brown. Add the garlic, peppers, carrots, and celery, and cook 5 more minutes. Then add everything else up to the cumin, and cook 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Now add all but the spinach and lemon zest. (If you have a crockpot, you can transfer the ingredients to your crockpot at this time.) Cover and cook on low until the lentils are soft and have absorbed most of the liquid– it takes about an hour on the stovetop. Time will vary if you use a slow cooker, depending on the strength and size of your particular crock pot. Add spinach and lemon at the very end, and cook 2-3 minutes until the spinach wilts. This recipe makes 8 servings (or 6 larger “Katie-sized” servings).

View Lentil Stew Nutrition Facts

Also see above link for substitution notes.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Bridget says:

I always feel healthy and refreshed after eating balanced meals. Like for breakfast, if I have some fruit along with oatmeal and toast, I feel full but not overfull! I also feel super healthy after eating one of your desserts, Katie! Thank you!!!!!

2. Lauren says:

I just had to comment today on the cute picture of you! I love the dress you’re in. 🙂 ….the stew looks delicious too…I love lentils! I feel the best when I’m eating soups and salads, since I can cram a ton of veggies into either. 🙂

3. Melli says:

That sounds and looks great. I would like to try it! 😉

4. Robin says:

I feel healthy drinking green smoothies! They make it easier for me to get in those nutrient dense foods on a daily basis ! We got a vitamix for Christmas and have enjoyed adding kale and other greens. Cheers!

5. Erikka says:

I love your dress!

6. Christina D says:

I just attempted to stick my fork into my monitor. This looks soooo good!

7. Tiffany says:

Cute Dress!! I hope you dont mind, but where is it from? You look great! 🙂

Happy New Year! Wishing you lots of love, happiness and success!

1. Liz says:

Would love to know as well!

8. Steph says:

You look so young and pretty! I hope I’ll look like you in my later 20’s. (Probably not though xD)

9. Mikayla says:

I love to make green smoothies! I drink 3-4 a week! Haha can’t wait to try this stew. It looks delicious!

10. Kelly says:

I love lentils! Especially in my lentil stuffed sweet potato: http://kellyshealthykitchen.wordpress.com/2012/12/07/desperation-dinners-simple-stuffed-sweet-potato/ I feel healthiest when I drink lots of water, eat fresh foods, and get outdoors.

11. Carley says:

OH baby time to buy some veggies!!

You both look so pretty!! Happy 2013 🙂

12. Hey girl! What an excellent stew you have made! It must be a stew kind of day, my mother made a stew as well!

Stews are great in many ways! You can throw them in a crock pot, you mix in a ton of veggies, and it’s a hot meal for a cold winter night! 🙂

Plus.. there is no right way to make one. Noodles, veggies, meat, beans and even tofu! Do whatever your little heart desires. 🙂

Your stew looks fantastic!!

Lastly, to answer your own question.. what foods do you enjoy most that make you FEEL heathiest?! 🙂 Mine consist of yogurt, fruit, beans, nut butter, and VEGGIES.

Enjoy this lovely Sunday afternoon!

xoxo

<3. L

13. Amy McCann says:

Happy New Year Katie! This comment has nothing to do with your lentil stew, however it looks yummy and I am sure i will make it this week! This comment is to thank you for all the goodies I got from Nu-Naturals Giveaway! They sent me waaayyyy more stuff than promised along with full descriptions about each product AND a ton of recipes!! I was so very impressed with them and so thankful that I won. We are currently contemplating what amazing snack we will eat off your site . . .coconut crack is a strong contender right now 😉 Thanks again, for such an amazing site with amazing creations. We aren’t vegan, but we LOVE your goodies!!!!!

14. Jenny D says:

This stew looks amazing and your pictures look beautiful!

I can’t wait to try this!

15. carolyn says:

Personally I feel very healthy after eating tofu-veggie stir fries, drinking water, eating oatmeal without adding sugar in it, and also when I eat fresh fruit with vanilla yogurt.
    Also when I eat your lemon bars with the whole-wheat flour and tofu…. j’aime beaucoup, ma cherie, j’aime beacoup

16. Molly says:

Great recipe! I’ve been really getting into lentil soups lately, even though it’s the middle of summer here in Australia, so I will definitely be trying this soon. It’s great to see you posting meal recipes. Also, I’d have to say green smoothies always make me feel super good inside, thats why I start every day with one 🙂

17. Great recipe. I just made a batch of lentil soup today but this one really packs the veggies in. I’ll be making this soon for sure! Thank you

18. Kelsang says:

Omg, you are just so stunning katie

19. Oh my, this looks and sounds so yummy. I can’t wait to try it!

20. I love veggies and it’s been too long since I’ve had lentils! Beastly salads with tons of veggies always make me feel healthy!