Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

1 Million Dollar Vegetable Stew

If you are a veggie lover, this recipe is for you!

Why not try out a healthy dinner tonight, with this delicious and hearty vegetable stew, bursting with essential vitamins, protein, fiber, and antioxidants? Healthy eating never tasted so good! Find the recipe here: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/01/04/1-million-vegetables-lentil-stew/

Lentil stew with a million vegetables in it!

This is one of those recipes where you feel super healthy and full of energy when you’re done eating, not the slightest bit sluggish or weighed down. It’s perfect for starting the new year off on a healthy foot… especially if your new year’s resolution is to eat more veggies.

The stew has a million of them, remember?

1 Million Vegetable Stew: for veggie lovers only!

Eh, close enough. Winking smile

A few days before Christmas, I stocked up on a million veggies (with an emphasis on mushrooms) from the Asian market, and this stew was a way to use them all up! The recipe is adapted from a lentil tagine recipe found in The Whole Foods Cookbook, and it’s the same lentil-veggie stew pictured in the post about what I ate for Christmas dinner.

healthy lentil vegetable stew.

Try out a super healthy dinner - from @choccoveredkt… Delicious and hearty vegetable stew, bursting with essential vitamins, protein, fiber, and antioxidants. Makes a big batch, and leftovers freeze well. Full recipe: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/01/04/1-million-vegetables-lentil-stew/

pin-it

“1 Million Dollar” Vegetable Stew

(with an option for slow-cooker lentil stew)

• 1.5 cups onion, chopped (190g)
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic (15g)
  • 3 tbsp olive oil (If desired, you can get away with 1 tbsp. Technically you can omit; it will just be better and more flavorful with the oil)
  • 1 1/2 cups bell peppers, sliced or diced (350g)
  • 4-6 carrots, sliced (95g)
  • 1 cup celery, chopped (140g)
  • 6 cups sliced mushrooms (Any variety will do; feel free to mix and match. I used 300g button mushrooms, 150g portabellas, and 350g shiitakes)
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar (30g)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste (30g)
  • 2 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 1/3 cup dry lentils (200g) (See nutrition link below for all substitution notes)
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock (360g)
  • 2 15oz cans diced tomatoes (I used regular, not unsalted.)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 5oz box raw spinach
  • 1 1/2 tbsp grated lemon zest (important)

Heat a large saucepan, then add the oil and onion. Sauté 5 minutes, until onions begin to brown. Add the garlic, peppers, carrots, and celery, and cook 5 more minutes. Then add everything else up to the cumin, and cook 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Now add all but the spinach and lemon zest. (If you have a crockpot, you can transfer the ingredients to your crockpot at this time.) Cover and cook on low until the lentils are soft and have absorbed most of the liquid– it takes about an hour on the stovetop. Time will vary if you use a slow cooker, depending on the strength and size of your particular crock pot. Add spinach and lemon at the very end, and cook 2-3 minutes until the spinach wilts. This recipe makes 8 servings (or 6 larger “Katie-sized” servings).

View Lentil Stew Nutrition Facts

Also see above link for substitution notes.

5/5 (1)

Published on January 4, 2013

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

143 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. jodye @ chocolate and chou fleur says

A million veggies with a side of a million chocolate bars sounds just right for me! This stew looks great! the perfect clean-out-the-fridge recipe, plus I always have lentils on hand.

2. Lady Jennie says

I purée the veggies before cooking them with the lentils so that my kids will eat them – and they really do that way. I feel good when I eat ratatouille and quinoa together – so light and full of energy.

• Lisa @bitesforbabies says

We are definitely on the same page! I love ratatouille and quinoa!! Not sure if you’re looking for new kid-friendly recipes but I have a bunch on my blog bitesforbabies.com.

3. Lisa @bitesforbabies says

Wow! There are about a “million” veggies in there! Looks yummy! Lentil soup is a staple in my house-I make it at least once a week or two! I always feel “healthy” when I eat one of my quinoa, lentil or soup/stew recipes…and I love making them kid-friendly so my son can eat me too (and feel just as healthy!).

• Anna says

Lentils don’t need to be soaked. Just sort through them (picking out any odd pebbles) and give them a good rinse

4. Shannon @ Skinny Sometimes says

I love the pictures of the peppers and the picture of you and your sister! There are about a million vegetables in here, but I do think I will try it soon. Mushrooms really add a meaty-quality to vegetarian dishes that I just love.

5. Ivy says

That looks divine! Do you have any ideas for replacement veggies for those who don’t like mushrooms? The boyfriend hates them! Peas, maybe?

6. Kelly says

There’s actual proof (well… one scientific study) that warm soup helps deminish the cause of some cold symptoms! A nice brothy soup always makes me feel great (even if it’s just because science told me it should).

7. Kitty Bea says

First, I love your dress! 🙂

I feel healthy with lots of fresh veggies (like spinach and kale) and legumes, especially lentils. Plus, after a powerful workout. =D

And I am definitely making this recipe–as soon as I get the mushrooms.

8. Nicole says

I cannot tell you how perfect the timing of this recipe is! I am 7 months pregnant and have just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. (I am an “old” mother at 36!) I have to eat lots more veggies and complex carbs now. I also work 3 part time jobs in addition to taking care of my other 2 children so slow cooker recipes are a life saver! Thank you so much!

9. Tamara says

Katie,

This is a great recipe…along with all of your others, of course!
    I just finished making this and it is delicious!! I didn’t have any mushrooms, so I added 3 cups of frozen yellow squash I had from my garden in the spring. It turned out great & I am planning on serving it over mashed cauliflower for dinner tonight.
    Thanks for all of your healthy alternatives you have created. In this big world it’s nice to know I can always find a healthy and delicious recipe from you! 🙂

10. Rachel says

This looks fantastic! Can’t wait to try it!

As far as my favorite “feel healthy” dishes, I also love miso soup! My concoction is somewhat similar to your recipe, and I also add carrots and leeks, a tradition that started when I was feeling sick and just grabbed vegetables that looked like they’d made a nice big pot of magic soup (lol). If I’m lazy and/or don’t feel like buying an actual tub of miso, I just add a couple of miso soup mix packets to the vegetable broth (shhh, don’t tell!). If I’m feeling really under the weather, I’ll eat a bunch of the soup and down carrot orange apple juice like it’s my job … my it’s just psychosomatic, but most of the time if I feel a cold or something coming on, if I eat/drink these two things and then head to bed, I wake up feeling all better again!

I also always feel fantastic when I start the day with green juice — my favorite combo is romaine, kale, celery, lemon, green apple & ginger. YUM!

11. Maddie @ glutendairyfreedom says

Ok, I know this somewhat unrelated but, the other day, my aunt brought over these cookie dough brownies and they were DELISH! And I plan on making a GF version…but I was wondering if that would be a good inspiration for your next blog post 😉

12. Anne says

Love that you also listed the amount in gram too..now I’m able to actually cook this without typing it into google and getting all frustrated if it doesn’t work. Really not so easy if you live in a country without measuring cups :D. Thank you 🙂

13. Jennifer D. says

Just verifying, that 5 oz box of spinach is frozen spinach. Do you thaw and squeeze out the water or is it supposed to be fresh spinach?

I feel the healthiest when I eat smaller portions of healthy food and when I have a really good workout 🙂

14. Charee says

Like you, I love a bowl of veggies. This time of year I love them in a soup. Not being vegetarian, I love a homemade chicken broth. Love your photo!